Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
August 2nd, 2012 at 12:55:10 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Are you in good shape evenbob?I just gave up sugar 3 weeks ago .

Technically all carbohydrates are sugars :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
August 2nd, 2012 at 1:00:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I went on a non sugar diet in 1972 and lost
40 pounds. I didn't eat sugar for a year. In
1973 I was at a conference and they had
free sugar donuts, so I ate 4 of them like
an idiot. My body wasn't used to sugar
so my pancreas over reacted and dumped
so much insulin into my blood that it made
my blood sugar extremely low and I almost
passed out. I wasn't right for 2 days.

I investigated and found sugar was a new
item in the human diet. It wasn't around much
except as honey, and a few other sweeteners,
until we started getting it from cane and sugar
beets in the 1600's. It has no nutrititional value
at all, none. Its an empty food. What happened
scared me so badly I haven't eaten it since. I
don't even use artificial sweeteners anymore,
all I drink is water, once in awhile I cut the
water with some vodka. But never before 8pm.

April 23 2010 for me. Best thing I ever did for myself. Figured out that all those times I thought I was hungry, in reality, my body was just craving sugar. Like Bob, I read every single label.
Stupid is a choice
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 292
August 2nd, 2012 at 1:05:35 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I have 2 manual transmission cars and they
still make you do that to start the car. Its a
safety feature like having to depress the brake
when starting an automatic.

I had a K-car that had manual transmission. Bought it used from someone who ordered it that way custom I guess. The car was improved dramatically by losing all the weight that automatic meant [I checked those out, ugh.]

You didn't have to press the clutch to start the car, but of course if you had it in gear that didnt work too good! It saved my bacon maybe once, though: One night I piled into a pool of standing water I couldnt see and it was so deep it stopped me cold. With all the water the car wouldnt start again. I was scared the next car coming would plow into me, so I put it into first gear and the starter was strong enough to move me slowly out of the water. To my surprise, once I was nearly out the engine caught then and I was on my way, not all cylinders seeming to work at first. But I was glad the safety nazis hadn't robbed me of that option!!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
August 2nd, 2012 at 1:19:29 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Technically all carbohydrates are sugars :)

No, carbs are converted to sugar, some slower and
some faster. Eating sugar serves no purpose, it just
makes things taste sweet. Because I don't eat sugar,
things like onions and many raw veggies taste very
sweet to me. I don't eat potatoes or carrots because
they are converted to sugar so quickly by your body.
They say eating a baked potato is almost like eating
a candy bar, as far as your body is concerned.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 292
August 3rd, 2012 at 4:09:06 AM permalink
Thinking of starting cars, remember when they were harder to start? You could have the most reliable car on the block, and on some mornings it took several tries, seemed like. You had to give it just the right amount of gas. Go back far enough and you wanted to set the choke just right too. And a kid like me would likely screw up and have to hear, "argh! now you flooded the engine!". Then you either had to wait an hour or two for it to dry out, or know how to start a flooded engine.

Today you might start your car with a remote without giving it any gas. In any case you pretty much instantly hear ROAR!. One problem with this in the modern vehicle is, you get no warning that your battery is going until one day you just hear 'click'. There is no more of that in between condition in my experience.

Trivia question: What was the correct way to start a flooded engine?

1] quit giving it any gas at all when you turn the key.
2] give it just a bit of gas.
3] press the accelerator to the floor to give it the max.

Better get it right back then because by now the battery was getting weak!

the correct answer is the non-intuitive #3. The carburetor would sent in pure vapor, not liquid, so by giving it the max the vapor would dry it out around the spark plugs
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 3rd, 2012 at 7:56:17 AM permalink
Remember this old question ? Your car just stalled on the railroad tracks. You push in the clutch, press down on the gas, and pray.
But you flood the engine. What now ? And no, do not get out of the car yet. The train is a good 40 seconds away !
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
August 3rd, 2012 at 8:14:26 AM permalink
As to cars, remember when most cars had a few "tricks" you had to do to use them on a regular basis? You know what I mean, things that gave it "charachter."

For example:

"You have to put 'x' brand gasoline in it because she doesn't like the others"*

"If it doesn't start, pum the gas three times, then wait 10 seconds, then crank, she'll start then!"

And one that my brother told me when his car wouldn't start, my favorite from all time!: "Go outside, put it in neutral and see it the backup lights stick on. If they do that's good, just do (i forget what silly thing) because I have a weird neutral-safety switch on it. But if they don't come on you have to do (I forget what else) because that means (I forget what) is not working."

Yes, we had old, junkers growing up.

* FWIW I know brands of gasoline should not matter. And I did lots of my own work on cars and don't believe hype. But in college I had a LeBaron with 318-Lean Burn engine and it only ran right on BP gasoline. You can believe me or not, but if I put anything else in it she ran terrible and always wanted to stall.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
ddloml
ddloml
  • Threads: 1
August 3rd, 2012 at 8:28:01 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Not to be that kind of person but the longest record had two grooves on one side. Depending on where you placed the needle it played two different things. They were overlapped and it was a gimmick.

That was my wiseass answer for the day. Now off to the labor camp. Er. Work.

I still have that LP somewhere - Monty Python's "Matching Tie and Handkerchief"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 219
August 3rd, 2012 at 8:42:18 AM permalink
Quote: ddloml

I still have that LP somewhere - Monty Python's "Matching Tie and Handkerchief"

Sounds like a trip to "Gold and Silver Pawn Shop" material.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 3rd, 2012 at 8:51:46 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Sounds like a trip to "Gold and Silver Pawn Shop" material.

You'd get more from a collector than a reseller...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: