Thread Rating:

Yoyomama
Yoyomama
Joined: Oct 11, 2010
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 188
March 29th, 2011 at 7:23:02 AM permalink
I'm not a golfer, but continue to be amazed by the fall of Tiger Woods. Has there ever been a sports figure as successful & talented as Woods & then fallen as far as him because of a divorce or other similar situation? It's like Mickey Mantle going without a home run for a season because he got caught cheating and divorced during the off season.

Tiger has gone from top of the heap to middle of the road over night. He isn't as good as he used to be. Because of a divorce? Divorce is tough, but he certainly isn't the first.

So any other athlete lost his talent over night because of a divorce or similar situation?
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
March 29th, 2011 at 8:15:03 AM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

I'm not a golfer, but continue to be amazed by the fall of Tiger Woods. Has there ever been a sports figure as successful & talented as Woods & then fallen as far as him because of a divorce or other similar situation?
[..]
So any other athlete lost his talent over night because of a divorce or similar situation?



Talent or standing?

It's not like either golf or baseball are sports (let's not get into that), but you've got Pete Rose. he was banned for life and barred from the hall of fame (apparently these past times honor their people for some reason) because he gambled on baseball. Or you might read up on the Black Sox earlier last century. I'm not sure what they did, but apparently it was pretty bad; for baseball at any rate.

As to real players losing their talent or ability, well, Kurt Warner was at the top of his position in 200, and got cut from the Rams shortly thereafter.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
Joined: Jan 24, 2011
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 540
March 29th, 2011 at 8:19:01 AM permalink
Middle of the road?

He is the favorite to win The Masters
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 310
  • Posts: 8605
March 29th, 2011 at 8:21:04 AM permalink
I think it shows how much golf is a mental game
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 226
  • Posts: 12412
March 29th, 2011 at 8:22:26 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed


It's not like either golf or baseball are sports (let's not get into that), but you've got Pete Rose. he was banned for life and barred from the hall of fame (apparently these past times honor their people for some reason) because he gambled on baseball. Or you might read up on the Black Sox earlier last century. I'm not sure what they did, but apparently it was pretty bad; for baseball at any rate.



I have read hitting a fastball is the hardest skill inb sports. To do it right the batter must swing BEFORE the ball actually leaves the pitchers hand. Again, I have read.

I think the OP meant has anyone been at the top then fallen because of personal issues, not injury or age. I can't think of one so on-top in their prime years who fell so hard.

On Pete Rose, it is a sin he is banned for life. A guy like Vick can just come back after sitting out 4 games and the world wants to forgive him. Rose OTOH gets banned. Though I do remember seeing a "Meet Pete Rose" sign at the Caesars Forum Shops. I thought, "The sportsbook is just over there, he might be here anyways?"

I'd lift his ban. Major League Sports long ago stopped caring about image.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
Joined: Aug 31, 2010
  • Threads: 88
  • Posts: 6526
March 29th, 2011 at 8:55:03 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It's not like either golf or baseball are sports (let's not get into that),


You can't just leave that hanging... How is baseball not a sport?

"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7102
March 29th, 2011 at 9:03:42 AM permalink
Quote: Yoyomama

... Tiger has gone from top of the heap to middle of the road over night. He isn't as good as he used to be. ...?


As for Mr. Woods's decline in performance, perhaps he just hasn't been getting enough nookie recently. I understand that an addict experiencing withdrawal symptoms may be a bit off his game.

Not an issue of sports, but I think a divorce pretty much quashed Eddie Fisher's career.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
March 29th, 2011 at 9:09:03 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

You can't just leave that hanging... How is baseball not a sport?



How is it a sport?

The only positive contribution of baseball to Western culture is the Abbot & Costello's "Who's On First" bit. WHich just makes it marginally better overall than soccer, which has no redeeming value at all.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wavy70
Wavy70
Joined: Nov 3, 2009
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 907
March 29th, 2011 at 9:09:51 AM permalink
I wouldn't bury Tiger yet. He is still ranked the #4 player in 2011 as of last week. He is the top ranked American.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
P90
P90
Joined: Jan 8, 2011
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 1703
March 29th, 2011 at 9:11:34 AM permalink
Wow. What is sport then, motorcycle racing?
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama

  • Jump to: