Thread Rating:

MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 29th, 2011 at 2:16:27 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Squash does better in fertile fields out in the sun with plenty of water. What does this have to do with sports?

There was once a company called Fitness Gaming Corporation. They obtained U.S. Patent No. 6,413,191 on exercise equipment attached to a slot machine. In order to keep playing, you had to be actively working out.

Now, suppose I put one of those machines in a grassy field and started playing it. The activity is obviously athletic, it's happening in a field, and the defined objective is to win money. Therefore, playing a slot machine while riding a connected exercise bicycle in a grassy field is a sport. Q.E.D.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 29th, 2011 at 2:44:46 PM permalink
No athlete has flamed out near their peak as much as Mr. Woods. However, there are physical issues associated with the decline in his athletic performance. Knee surgery cost him, and I am not sure he ever really recovered.

Kobe came close to losing it all, with the rape allegation distracting him, but he battled back.

As for the definition of "sport", I would posit that any contest requiring athletic skill, but primarily decided by judge's scores is not a sport. Therefore, figure skating = Not A Sport, Ice Hockey = Sport... XGames Half Pipe = NAS, Pipeline Surf Contest = NAS, Shin Kicking = Sport, Baseball = Sport
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 29th, 2011 at 3:04:51 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Now, suppose I put one of those machines in a grassy field and started playing it. The activity is obviously athletic, it's happening in a field, and the defined objective is to win money. Therefore, playing a slot machine while riding a connected exercise bicycle in a grassy field is a sport. Q.E.D.

Physical does not mean the same thing as atheletic.

In any case you're taking a concise definition and turning it into an exhaustive one. A concise definition does not work that way. if you want to gradually expand it, we can do that.

What I find amazing is that someone found a way to make working out even more boring.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
March 29th, 2011 at 4:10:21 PM permalink
Javelin throwing? Well, you need to be atheletic to throw it very far. The object is to stick one of the guys downfield. Not easy, as they try to avoid it.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
rxwine
rxwine
March 29th, 2011 at 4:13:42 PM permalink
Tiger Woods reminds me of the biblical story of Samson.

With Samson it was taking away his long hair. Tiger Woods, it was taking away the prostitutes (er, girlfriends). Maybe "long hair" is code for prostitutes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
March 29th, 2011 at 4:24:07 PM permalink
Its not hard to figure out why Tiger has fallen. His confidence has been shaken to its core. He was top of the heap in his own little fiefdom, and it came crashing down around him. Now when he plays golf, he HAS to win, and it effects his game. I predict he'll never recover, he'll always be in the middle of the pack from now on. He's been turned overnight into a clutch player.

Doyle Brunson won a lot of money playing golf before his hip gave out. He would be given a good handicap because of his physical limitations, and the games would always be about equal until the last 2 or 3 holes. Doyle's advantage was, he has the ability to always play his best game no matter how much money is at stake. All the other amateurs were clutch players, they froze up and their games fell apart in the final holes. Doyle always won because he's a gambling pro. Tiger has lost his edge.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rxwine
rxwine
March 29th, 2011 at 4:41:36 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Tiger has lost his edge.

The interesting thing about the top 2 or 3 hundred players. All are highly skilled, and likely would crush your average golfer easily - yet few can withstand the pressure of the winning couple shots in major tournaments. Shots which they could normally make 99 times out of 100. It just a few seconds at the end of the game in second or third place, or just maintaining a lead, and a lot of them can't master those moments very often. Tiger did have a steely edge in that respect for not crumbling under the pressure shots.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 29th, 2011 at 4:49:14 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Physical does not mean the same thing as atheletic.

In any case you're taking a concise definition and turning it into an exhaustive one. A concise definition does not work that way. if you want to gradually expand it, we can do that.

What I find amazing is that someone found a way to make working out even more boring.

Well if you're looking for "not boring", what about the ancient Mesoamerican ball game played by Mayans and other indigenous peoples in Latin America over 3000 years ago? That sometimes involved human sacrifice. Would that be a sport?

Gaufqwi matches can be pretty exciting too, so I hear. And that's athletic, played on a field, and has well-defined objectives (drive a paintball-marked gerbil into the goal with a 2x4), so that's clearly a sport. From the FAQ:
Quote: Gaufqwi FAQ

Q: What athletic skills does Gaufqwi most rely on?

A: Speed, reflexes, vision, endurance, concentration, a fierce competitive spirit. Because even the smallest swardsmen is huge and mighty next to a gerbil, strength and size matter little.

"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
March 29th, 2011 at 4:51:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Tiger did have a steely edge in that respect for not crumbling under the pressure shots.

Thats exactly where Doyle Brunson had his edge. He said he never clutched up on the money shots and everybody else did. In poker, he was always able to accurately calculate the odds of where he was, no matter how much money was in the pot. He's never emotionally involved. Thats where Tiger used to be, he had the utmost confidence in his ability, and now he doesn't. Very hard to get back once its gone.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 29th, 2011 at 5:13:11 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Well if you're looking for "not boring", what about the ancient Mesoamerican ball game played by Mayans and other indigenous peoples in Latin America over 3000 years ago? That sometimes involved human sacrifice. Would that be a sport?

That's something really odd to bring up. I sense you're trying to needle me in some way, but I fail to see why you chose that example. Aside from sucker, I can't think of anything farther removed from me (of course if I gave it some thought, I could come up with something).

You know what's interesting? I declare something's not a sport, and sudenly I have people begging me to tell them what is or isn't a sport. :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: