March 29th, 2011 at 9:14:40 AM permalink
Speed painting?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 29th, 2011 at 11:24:59 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

How is it a sport?

The only positive contribution of baseball to Western culture is the Abbot & Costello's "Who's On First" bit. WHich just makes it marginally better overall than soccer, which has no redeeming value at all.

Wait, now soccer isn't a sport? Tell that to Wayne Rooney:

If soccer isn't a sport then I don't have any idea what you mean by "sport". Gladiator combat, perhaps?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 29th, 2011 at 11:29:28 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Wait, now soccer isn't a sport?

I dind't say it wasn't. But since you mention it, it's not.

Quote:

I don't have any idea what you mean by "sport", then. Gladiator combat, perhaps?

A sport is an athletic contest with a defined objective on the field. How's that for a concise definition?

Soccer, or as I call it, sucker, has no clearly defined objective. Baseball does, in fact it has two, but none are on the field. One is to bore the audience to death, an impossible task. The other is to sell large amounts of beer.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 29th, 2011 at 12:18:23 PM permalink
Nareed, quit trolling.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
March 29th, 2011 at 12:25:16 PM permalink
I will keep this short and to the point, before any of you start criticizing a sport you know nothing about, try and play said sport at a high level, see how stupid it makes you look and feel then try to not call it I sport. I refrained from judging any of the criticizers fat and lazy considering I have never met any of you.
As for tiger hoods I cannot recall another professional athlete that was so dominant for so long and then took a downward spiral quite like this.
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
March 29th, 2011 at 12:25:53 PM permalink
Does the name " Shoeless Joe Jackson" ring a bell ?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 29th, 2011 at 12:44:02 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Nareed, quit trolling.

I'm not trolling. I haven't called anyone names, nor implied anyone who likes these pastimes are in any way bad or lesser persons.

I'm sublimating, through rather adolescent satire, years and years of repressed anger from being pushed to watch, play and like these so-called sports.

As to another comment, I don't deny there are levels to these pastimes and that, at high levels, playing them is hard. It's hard to carve a side of beef into cuts suitable for a 5 star restaurant, too, and it takes a great deal of skill and constant practice. The same can be said, even more so, about just any kind of surgery. That doesn't make beef carving or neurosurgery sports.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
March 29th, 2011 at 1:06:34 PM permalink

I'm not trolling. I haven't called anyone names

That's flaming, not trolling. A troll provokes others to call each other names, not does that himself.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
March 29th, 2011 at 1:14:53 PM permalink

A sport is an athletic contest with a defined objective on the field. How's that for a concise definition?

Does it necessarily require a field? Is boxing a sport? How about squash (enclosed court) or bobsledding (icy track)? All three of those, ahem, sports have defined objectives but no field. Do they count?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
March 29th, 2011 at 1:23:19 PM permalink

A sport is an athletic contest with a defined objective on the field.

How does golf not meet this definition? Is it not athletic, or does it not have a defined objective, or both?

• Jump to: