debitncredit
debitncredit
  • Threads: 53
November 16th, 2016 at 11:02:43 AM permalink
I enjoy his show, Gambling with an Edge even after Mr. Shackleford's departure and I sometimes read his columns on LVA. I have nothing against Bob, and I don't know him other than from his podcast and his columns. I think he's a decent person.

Having said that, does anyone here know him in real life? At least 1/3 of his columns are about how someone he knows/met is not smart enough to play video poker for living. He seems to be very proud of himself that he doesn't have a normal job(, which is cool, but I don't know if it's really better or worse than having a real job).
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 43
November 16th, 2016 at 11:29:36 AM permalink
Quote: debitncredit

I enjoy his show, Gambling with an Edge even after Mr. Shackleford's departure and I sometimes read his columns on LVA. I have nothing against Bob, and I don't know him other than from his podcast and his columns. I think he's a decent person.

Having said that, does anyone here know him in real life? At least 1/3 of his columns are about how someone he knows/met is not smart enough to play video poker for living. He seems to be very proud of himself that he doesn't have a normal job(, which is cool, but I don't know if it's really better or worse than having a real job).

I think Munchkin makes the show,Bob always makes corny jokes in the middle of a discussion.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 2
November 16th, 2016 at 11:57:39 AM permalink
He also constantly mentions how a given play is beneath his bankroll, but he's mentioning it for the benefit of his lesser rolled readers. Very magnanimous of him.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 157
November 16th, 2016 at 12:55:08 PM permalink
I've attended his classes. In my opinion, he is very knowledgeable and genuinely interested in helping people to improve their game.
If there are more skilled players that spend so much of their time helping newcomers, I've yet to meet them.
Outside of one poster on a blackjack forum years ago, Bob has been the most helpful person in advancing my prospective career, such as it is.
debitncredit
debitncredit
November 16th, 2016 at 2:11:34 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've attended his classes. In my opinion, he is very knowledgeable and genuinely interested in helping people to improve their game.
If there are more skilled players that spend so much of their time helping newcomers, I've yet to meet them.
Outside of one poster on a blackjack forum years ago, Bob has been the most helpful person in advancing my prospective career, such as it is.

Right. I think he's a decent guy. As far as his classes, I wonder if he'd still do it if South Point doesn't let him play. It sounds like Michael Gaughan basically thinks of him as an "employee." Bob teaches classes and South Point lets him grind it out on their VP machines and make a living. It's probably better from South Point's point of view, as he's not getting any benefits like dental or 401k.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
November 16th, 2016 at 5:14:49 PM permalink
I've heard many things about Bob Dancer, most are on the opposite spectrum of what people are saying here.
# Свободный Натан
debitncredit
debitncredit
November 16th, 2016 at 5:17:07 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I've heard many things about Bob Dancer, most are on the opposite spectrum of what people are saying here.

RS. Do share!
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
November 16th, 2016 at 5:23:14 PM permalink
Not the nicest person- he also is possibly the person who blew out the borgata play. South pointe tolerates his play...
he works on the dark side
No longer hiring, donít ask because I wonít hire you either
coachbelly
coachbelly
  • Threads: 1
November 16th, 2016 at 7:06:23 PM permalink
Do you mean the Revel play?
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
November 16th, 2016 at 7:10:03 PM permalink
Yea. Was reading an article about borgata execuTives at the same time- my bad