Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanked by
troopscottMission146scolistMidwestAP
December 3rd, 2018 at 12:40:11 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

What do you mean by “have something for everyone to do on the forum”?

If you mean a weekly picks contest for just members here, it would be exactly that. The site would host our private game and the only difference would be its much more streamlined , modern, and easier.

This whole idea of someone manually copying and pasting lines to the board, each member then emailing picks to someone , and then having to worry every week about these entries worded wrongly or whatever.. you think that’s all a good idea or fun ? It’s avout 15-20 years behind in how these pools are typically run. I don’t understand the enjoyment you get from any of the outdated parts of this process

There’s even been a few weeks where you didn’t get the lines up timely , or didn’t post the picks timely. These would all be things you’d no longer need to worry about

This is supposed to be fun. Here is a novel idea. If you dont like the way someone does something them dont join. Problem solved.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
troopscott
troopscott
  • Threads: 20
Thanked by
Mission146GWAEbeachbumbabsunJon
December 3rd, 2018 at 4:38:15 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

The entire purpose of this game was to have something for everyone to do on the Forum. I can join any number of games off of the Forum, some of which with weaker competition.

More than that, joining a different game would negate some of the time I’ll be saving by not running this one.

Finally, I absolutely guarantee I’d forget to make my picks frequently if I had to go to a different website.

The purpose of the game being here is so everyone can interact on this forum, have fun etc. Not to go elsewhere to have a game. I will stick with missions game and wont play off site.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
prozemaMission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 6:25:04 AM permalink
DJATC: 4-2
Browns +6 Loss
Cardinals +14 Win
Cardinals UNDER44 Win
Raiders +15 - CONFIDENCE Win
Titans -8 Loss

GWAE: 2-4
Colts (-4) confidence Loss
Buccaneers (+3.5) Win
Browns (+6) Loss
Bears (-4) Loss
Broncos (-5) Win

JohnZimbo: 2-3
Colts -4 confidence loss
Colts under 47 win
Ravens +1.5 win
Bears -4 loss
Redskins +6.5 tbd

FourFiveFace: 1-5
Colts -4-Confidence loss
Steelers -3.5 loss
Falcons -1.5 loss
Browns +6 loss
Jets +8 win

Prozema: 3-3
Chargers +3.5 win
Buccaneers +3.5 win
Browns +6 loss
Rams -10 win
Titans -8 Confidence loss

onenickelmiracle: 2-4
Browns over 47 loss
Panthers under 54.5 win
49ers under 46 confidence loss
Ravens under 48 win
Chiefs under 55.5 loss

Before week 13:

DJatc 43 20 68.25% GWAE 42 25 62.69% JohnZimbo 40 24 62.50% FourFiveFace 42 29 59.15% Prozema 37 27 57.81% onenickelmiracle 39 30 56.52% JohnnyQ 37 29 56.06%

After week 13:

DJatc 47 22 68.11% GWAE 44 29 60.27% JohnZimbo 42 27 60.86% FourFiveFace 43 34 55.84% Prozema 40 30 57.14% onenickelmiracle 41 34 54.66%
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 8:54:38 AM permalink
The main difference between DJ and me are those damn confidence picks. I bet if we just count those all as 1 I am ahead. He seems to always get those right and I lose every single one.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 9:06:48 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

The main difference between DJ and me are those damn confidence picks. I bet if we just count those all as 1 I am ahead. He seems to always get those right and I lose every single one.

Without luck, where would you be now?
I'd be out another pending $100-150 if people took me up on my proposed bets. I'm lucky the people thought I was scamming.
Added: All you need is luck, if the God troll gets a whiff of DJ here while watching over ZK, you win.
I am a robot.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146JohnnyQ
December 3rd, 2018 at 10:51:14 AM permalink
Mission, sorry to hear that you will be retiring from this role. I hope everything is okay in your life right now! We all care about you.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:00:24 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Mission, sorry to hear that you will be retiring from this role. I hope everything is okay in your life right now! We all care about you.

Everything is fine, thanks for asking. I just didn’t invent the game for the purpose of hearing how badly it sucks.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 24
Thanked by
Mission146JohnnyQ
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:16:02 AM permalink

Everything is fine, thanks for asking. I just didn’t invent the game for the purpose of hearing how badly it sucks.

I like the game sir. Thanks for hosting.

I do believe it is somehow your fault that I'm not better at it. ;-)
prozema
prozema
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:40:03 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

After week 13:

DJatc 47 22 68.11% GWAE 44 29 60.27% JohnZimbo 42 27 60.86% FourFiveFace 43 34 55.84% Prozema 40 30 57.14% onenickelmiracle 41 34 54.66%

Does this say I'm in 4th... 2.5 games out of the money?

Wow...
Last edited by: prozema on Dec 3, 2018
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 1:11:16 PM permalink

Who said it sucked? I simply suggested a way to iron out all the kinks that has no drawbacks whatsoever. This thread discussing the picks , standings , etc would still exist. The only difference would be the individual emailing of picks to someone would not be necessary.

There’s a weekly Sunday afternoon discussion within this thread where we try to figure out what someone meant to pick because they made a keying error. If that can be eliminated, what’s the negative
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:05:35 PM permalink

Who said it sucked? I simply suggested a way to iron out all the kinks that has no drawbacks whatsoever. This thread discussing the picks , standings , etc would still exist. The only difference would be the individual emailing of picks to someone would not be necessary.

There’s a weekly Sunday afternoon discussion within this thread where we try to figure out what someone meant to pick because they made a keying error. If that can be eliminated, what’s the negative

Other than paying a site to do it? At these small stakes why would anyone want to pay for a service?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:20:22 PM permalink

At these small stakes .. . . . .

Its not small stakes for me.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:30:08 PM permalink

Other than paying a site to do it? At these small stakes why would anyone want to pay for a service?

Time is money, save time, save money. Plus everyone saving $3 doesn't mean it's free, because Mission has to use his time, again time=money.
I am a robot.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146SOOPOO
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:46:04 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Time is money, save time, save money. Plus everyone saving $3 doesn't mean it's free, because Mission has to use his time, again time=money.

I never buy the time = money crap that people throw out. Are you really losing out on money in the short amount of time we spend on these picks? Time only equal money when it prevents you from making money.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:46:08 PM permalink
hmm I made a triple post. I swear that I only clicked post 1 time. The forum should add a feature like some have where it will yell at you if you have a post too quickly.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:47:55 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Its not small stakes for me.

more of a reason to not spend money using a service.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:49:54 PM permalink

hmm I made a triple post. I swear that I only clicked post 1 time. The forum should add a feature like some have where it will yell at you if you have a post too quickly.

Believe it or deny it, it's your choice.
I am a robot.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:52:48 PM permalink
I suggested to @#Wizard before to implement a system on the forum for this type of thing. It actually wouldn’t be that difficult to do. Could also be used for that cooperation game as well as other games like that.
prozema
prozema
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 2:53:20 PM permalink

Time only equal money when it prevents you from making money.

I made this exact same argument in an economics paper in college... I feel like you're my spirit animal now.
michael99000
michael99000
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 3:13:56 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I suggested to @#Wizard before to implement a system on the forum for this type of thing. It actually wouldn’t be that difficult to do. Could also be used for that cooperation game as well as other games like that.

That’s a good idea.

Anything is better than how it’s done now. Small stakes or not, when money is involved accuracy should be a priority. And when a better way is easily available , it makes no sense to keep doing it this way. Every Sunday either someone has the spread and total as one pick, or someone wanted default picks and got a skip week , or two people have a different line for the same game.

Twice this year mission was nowhere to be seen for days when either the lines or the picks were supposed to be posted here. I certainly understand things come up in life that are more important than this pool , but you can’t acknowledge that can happen AND still insist on not having it be run a better way.
Mission146
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 3:45:26 PM permalink

Twice this year mission was nowhere to be seen for days when either the lines or the picks were supposed to be posted here. I certainly understand things come up in life that are more important than this pool , but you can’t acknowledge that can happen AND still insist on not having it be run a better way.

Days? The hell are you talking about days!? I was going to refund you the $25 for doing us the favor of getting Nathan out of the game originally, but quite frankly, I think I’d prefer to have Nathan around.

And then you say, “Anything is better than how it’s done now,” and yet you’re maintaining that you don’t think it sucks?

Anyway, you’re welcome to whoever thanked me and I’m glad most have enjoyed the game as it’s been played for now almost seven years...how long have you been playing, ten minutes? Either way, it’s no matter, you guys can do it however you want next year; I’ll just have nothing to do with it.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
michael99000
michael99000
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 4:34:32 PM permalink

Days? The hell are you talking about days!? I was going to refund you the $25 for doing us the favor of getting Nathan out of the game originally, but quite frankly, I think I’d prefer to have Nathan around.

And then you say, “Anything is better than how it’s done now,” and yet you’re maintaining that you don’t think it sucks?

Anyway, you’re welcome to whoever thanked me and I’m glad most have enjoyed the game as it’s been played for now almost seven years...how long have you been playing, ten minutes? Either way, it’s no matter, you guys can do it however you want next year; I’ll just have nothing to do with it.

I maintain that the pool doesn’t suck. I think it’s a good idea for forum camaraderie, and some competiveness between members involving the gambling aspect of sports.

What I think is not ideal is how it’s run. It could easily be done in a way thats much easier , streamlined , modern , accurate and simpler. Those are facts.

And I believe two weeks ago there were no lines posted on Thursday. You didn’t appear on the forum at all , not even to acknowledge you didn’t post them or give a heads up as to when they’d be up . Then on Friday nothing. Then on Saturday somebody else posted lines who had never posted them before. I had no idea at that point whether to make my picks based on those lines or to wait for you , and had no idea whether whatever was keeping you away from the forum would last beyond the weekend. So yes , that’s what I was referring to.

And back in a believe week 8, the actual picks weren’t posted until an hour after the games had started. Again, I realize things come up but if you’re going to run a pool involving money and those things are going to happen , I don’t see how you could be against running the pool in a way that would stop those things from happening
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 4:49:20 PM permalink
So, first of all, THANKS to Mission146 for doing the heavy lifting on this for all these years.

Secondly, I don't think there is anything wrong with efficiency, especially when free sites exist. At least I think they exist. Every year I do an NCAA Basketball pool on-line that a friend organizes. He collects the money, he pays out to the winners, but the on-line site keeps track of everything. I think it is CBSSPORTS.com

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/games/football/office-pool-manager/

So, MAYBE that is an option for next year.

May I suggest that we.....

- don't get too riled up right now.

- have fun with the game as it is currently set up for the rest of the season.

- appreciate M146's voluntary work to help us have some friendly fun.

- knock DJATC out of first place.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
troopscottAyecarumbaunJonGWAERisingDough
December 3rd, 2018 at 5:46:14 PM permalink

I maintain that the pool doesn’t suck. I think it’s a good idea for forum camaraderie, and some competiveness between members involving the gambling aspect of sports.

What I think is not ideal is how it’s run. It could easily be done in a way thats much easier , streamlined , modern , accurate and simpler. Those are facts.

And I believe two weeks ago there were no lines posted on Thursday. You didn’t appear on the forum at all , not even to acknowledge you didn’t post them or give a heads up as to when they’d be up . Then on Friday nothing. Then on Saturday somebody else posted lines who had never posted them before. I had no idea at that point whether to make my picks based on those lines or to wait for you , and had no idea whether whatever was keeping you away from the forum would last beyond the weekend. So yes , that’s what I was referring to.

And back in a believe week 8, the actual picks weren’t posted until an hour after the games had started. Again, I realize things come up but if you’re going to run a pool involving money and those things are going to happen , I don’t see how you could be against running the pool in a way that would stop those things from happening

First of all, let me apologize to you for the fact that you don’t follow this or the Official Thread, which I’m sure is due to some inherent flaw in the game.

1. Very early on, I said that if the Lines aren’t up by the end of Thursday, for any reason, then anybody is free to post them provided they come from VegasInsider,

2. You’re referring to the Thanksgiving Week during which I came on the following day and confirmed the lines that were posted and that Miplet put in the right format. That occurred on Friday both in this thread:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/31257-2018-wov-picks-game-discussion-thread/132/#post685567

What’s interesting is you responded to me right after that post.

AND I copied said Lines over to the Official Thread. On Friday.

Now, I’m not very good at days of the week. Can you please inform me how many days are between Thursday and Friday as a refresher? Ergo, I came and confirmed the lines and posted to the official thread hours late, during such time that very few people pick anyway, because I feel asleep on Thanksgiving. I acknowledged this, yes, on Friday.

Ideal, no? Big deal, I don’t see why. Days? Outright lie.

And, they were posted early Friday morning.

So, “What you’re referring to,” is your imagination.

3. So what if they weren’t posted until an hour after games started once? I have a three hour window. I could just make the Picks due earlier and give myself a bigger window. I try to balance it.

What time they are posted also doesn’t change the Picks, every single one of which there is a PM record of.

4. Anyway, I’m done responding to things that don’t exist such as Lines not going up until Saturday.

5. As far as formatting or Picks mistakes, that’s just a matter of spending less than sixty seconds to do it right. No offense to anyone who has made an error, but the error is because of going too fast and not double-checking, not because what the Rules demand is complicated.

FINALLY

Finally, you’re getting what you want and it’s being run offsite next year if anyone cares to do it. I conceded that yesterday. If that’s not enough and you want to have the last word on how crappy this game is that nobody has had a serious problem with for six years, I yield the floor. Have your last word, I’m done responding to your nonsensical, erroneous and, quite possibly fabricated, drivel.

The reason that I insisted on it being here is because many, if not all, similar games have chat and message functions (at least any I’ve done in terms of fantasy) so my concern is the bulk of the jive would be taking place there rather than here.

More importantly, it’s supposed to be something for the Forum. If I just wanted to run a game to run a game, I would just do it with IRL friends, family and associates.

And, $ince I am the one who contribute$ the time and $eed$ the game with $omething that give$ it po$itive EV for every $ingle player, it seems like I should get to house it wherever the hell I want unchallenged and run it however the hell I want, efficient or otherwise.
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
prozemaMission146JoemanMidwestAPJohnnyQ
December 3rd, 2018 at 6:19:47 PM permalink
No mission no me in this comp. it is for fun and if any of you are sweating the small amount to play and worried about the integrity then you are idiots. I’ve played every year except the first year. Don’t think I was a member. Anyway. This is fun. One year I get third. A few years later I’m in contention for the you suck award. Stop shitting on someone giving their time for 0.0 dollars for us assholes. If this is the end then I am really sad. I thank mission each and every year when I play this. This is not life changing money. No it’s just fun. I like how some of you want to ruin it.

Yes I used profanity I’ll take my suspension.

Stop being idiots. If you need $25. Let me know. I got you, you bums.
troopscott
troopscott
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 8:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: JW17

No mission no me in this comp. it is for fun and if any of you are sweating the small amount to play and worried about the integrity then you are idiots. I’ve played every year except the first year. Don’t think I was a member. Anyway. This is fun. One year I get third. A few years later I’m in contention for the you suck award. Stop shitting on someone giving their time for 0.0 dollars for us assholes. If this is the end then I am really sad. I thank mission each and every year when I play this. This is not life changing money. No it’s just fun. I like how some of you want to ruin it.

Yes I used profanity I’ll take my suspension.

Stop being idiots. If you need $25. Let me know. I got you, you bums.

You ain't catching me for the you suck award keep dreaming lol

Agreed not sure how anyone can bitxh about someone else's game
EdCollins
EdCollins
Thanked by
Mission146Romesprozema
December 3rd, 2018 at 8:21:26 PM permalink
Week 13 Results and Current Standings

Rigondeaux (2-3)
Dolphins -3.5 (win)
Browns +6 (loss)
Jets +8 (win)
Colts -4 (loss)
Bengals +5 (loss)

TroopScott (1-4)
Jaguars OVER 47 (loss)
Steelers OVER 51.5 (win)
Panthers OVER 54.5 (loss)
Falcons OVER 48 (loss)
Browns OVER 47 (loss)

JW17 (4-2)
Broncos -5 Confidence (win)
Cardinals +14 (win)
49ers +10 (loss)
Redskins +6.5 (loss)
Raiders +15 (win)

MidwestAP (3-3)
Jaguars +4 (win)
Panthers -3.5 (loss)
Lions +10 (loss)
Raiders +15 Confidence (win)
49ers +10 (loss)

SOOPOO (2-4)
Colts -4 (loss)
Panthers -3.5 Confidence (loss)
Eagles-6.5 (win)
Cardinals +14 (win)
Bills OVER 40 (loss)

Genwyzgy (3-2)
Colts UNDER 47 (win)
Rams -10 (win)
Vikings +5 (loss)
Chargers UNDER 51.5 (loss)
Ravens UNDER 47 (win)

BeachBumBabs (2-4)
Vikings UNDER 49.5 (win)
Colts -4 (loss)
Bears -4 Confidence (loss)
Chiefs UNDER 55.5 (loss)
Raiders +15 (win)

Gordonm888 (3-2)
Colts -4 (loss)
Browns +6 (loss)
Broncos -5 (win)
Patriots -5 (win)
Seahawks -10 (win)

PlayYourCardsRight (3-3)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Panthers -3.5 (loss)
Texans -6 (win)
Bears -4 Confidence (loss)
Seahawks -10 (win)

miplet (4-2)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Buccaneers +3.5 Confidence (win)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)
Giants +4 (win)
Redskins +6.5 (loss)

unJon (3-3)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Buccaneers +3.5 (win)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)
Cardinals UNDER 44 (win)
Titans -8 Confidence (loss)

GWAE (2-4)
Colts (-4) Confidence (loss)
Buccaneers (+3.5) (win)
Browns (+6) (loss)
Bears (-4) (loss)
Broncos (-5) (win)

Romes (3-3)
Steelers -3.5 (loss)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)
Titans -8 (loss)
Eagles -6.5 (win)
Patriots -5 Confidence (win)

RisingDough (3-3)
Browns +6 (loss)
Browns OVER 47 (loss)
Giants +4 (win)
Rams -10 Confidence (win)
Vikings +5 (loss)

kuma (3-3)
Jaguars (+4) (win)
Buccaneers (+3.5) (win)
Raiders (+15) (win)
Titans (-8) (loss)
49ers (+10) Confidence (loss)

Maxpen (3-2)
Titans -8 (loss)
Eagles -6.5 (win)
Rams -10 (win)
Chiefs -15 (loss)
Seahawks -10 (win)

Prozema (3-3)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Buccaneers +3.5 (win)
Browns +6 (loss)
Rams -10 (win)
Titans -8 Confidence (loss)

DJATC (4-2)
Browns +6 (loss)
Cardinals +14 (win)
Cardinals UNDER44 (win)
Raiders +15 Confidence (win)
Titans -8 (loss)

Bruce1 (2-4)
Panthers UNDER 54.5 (win)
Falcons (-1.5) (loss)
Browns OVER 47 (loss)
Cardinals UNDER 44 (win)
Titans (-8) Confidence (loss)

Sparty10k (4-2)
Ravens UNDER 48 (win)
Browns +6 (loss)
Giants +4 (win)
Rams -10–Confidence (win)
Vikings +5 (loss)

scolist (3-2)
Rams -10 (win)
Patriots -5 (win)
Colts -4 (loss)
Texans -6 (win)
Bears -4 (loss)

JohnZimbo (2-4)
Colts -4 Confidence (loss)
Colts UNDER 47 (win)
Ravens +1.5 (win)
Bears -4 (loss)
Redskins +6.5 (loss)

FourFiveFace (1-5)
Colts -4 Confidence (loss)
Steelers -3.5 (loss)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)
Browns +6 (loss)
Jets +8 (win)

EdCollins (2-3)
Colts -4 (loss)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)
Giants +4 (win)
Vikings +5 (loss)
Eagles -6.5 (win)

fleastiff (2-3)
redskins +6.5 (loss)
browns +6 (loss)
ravens +1.5 (win)
ravens UNDER 48 (win)
colts -4 (loss)

terapined (5-0)
Ravens +1.5 (win)
Eagles -6.5 (win)
Raiders +15 (win)
Bucs +3.5 (win)
Cards +14 (win)

Odiousgambit (0-5)
Bears -4 (loss)
Bengals +5 (loss)
Giants UNDER 44.5 (loss)
Eagles OVER 45 (loss)
Dolphins OVER 40 (loss)

Ayecarumba (4-1)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Giants +4 (win)
Bears UNDER 44.5 (loss)
Cardinals UNDER 44 (win)
Raiders +15 (win)

IndyJeffrey (3-2)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)
Texans -6 (win)
Bears -4 (loss)
Patriots -5 (win)

Joeman (3-3)
Rams -10 Confidence (win)
Rams OVER 55 (loss)
Browns +6 (loss)
Jaguars UNDER 47 (win)
Falcons -1.5 (loss)

onenickelmiracle (2-4)
Browns OVER 47 (loss)
Panthers UNDER 54.5 (win)
49ers UNDER 46 Confidence (loss)
Ravens UNDER 48 (win)
Chiefs UNDER 55.5 (loss)

Michael99000 (2-4)
Chargers @ Steelers UNDER 51 (loss)
Ravens @ Falcons UNDER 48 (win)
Browns @ Texans UNDER 47 (win)
Bears @ Giants UNDER 44.5 (loss)
Chiefs @ Raiders UNDER 55.5 Confidence (loss)

Wizard (3-3)
Jaguars +4 (win)
Chargers +3.5 (win)
Buccaneers +3.5 (win)
Browns +6 Confidence (loss)
Bills +3.5 (loss)

Name Wins Losses %
DJatc 47 22 68.12%
GWAE 44 29 60.27%
JohnZimbo 42 28 60.00%
Prozema 40 30 57.14%
JohnnyQ 37 29 56.06%
FourFiveFace 43 34 55.84%
onenickelmiracle 41 34 54.67%
Wizard 37 33 52.86%
Miplet 37 34 52.11%
EdCollins 38 35 52.05%
kuma 40 37 51.95%
Fleastiff 33 31 51.56%
Bruce1 35 33 51.47%
IndyJeffrey 34 33 50.75%
RisingDough 35 35 50.00%
UnJon 39 39 50.00%
GenWyzgy 32 33 49.23%
JW17 36 38 48.65%
Gordonm888 33 35 48.53%
Michael99000 33 35 48.53%
PlayYourCardsRight 33 35 48.53%
Joeman 35 38 47.95%
Sparty10k 33 37 47.14%
MaxPen 32 36 47.06%
Rigondeaux 30 34 46.88%
Terapined 30 34 46.88%
MidwestAP 30 38 44.12%
Romes 33 42 44.00%
Scolist 25 33 43.10%
OdiousGambit 27 39 40.91%
BeachBumBabs 31 45 40.79%
SOOPOO 31 46 40.26%
Ayecarumba 29 47 38.16%
Troopscott 23 40 36.51%
Totals 1,178 1,201 49.52%

Record of Skip Weeks:
DJatc - Week 5
IndyJeffrey - Week 10
JohnnyQ - Week 13
MaxPen - Week 6
Michael99000 - Week 1
Miplet - Week 6
RisingDough - Week 11
scolist - Week 1
Sparty10K - Week 10
TroopScott - Week 3
Wizard - Week 12
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
Mission146Joeman
December 3rd, 2018 at 9:31:29 PM permalink
Quote: JW17

... someone giving their time for 0.0 dollars...

It’s actually -150 dollars for Mission. He provides the “You Suck” and “Most Average” prizes, and this year, has chosen not to contend for them.

If Michael9 isn’t happy with the way it is run, please start your own contest next season. As for this year, the suggestions for improvement box has not been put back out yet, after it was closed at the start of the season. Please refrain from making suggestions until the box is opened again. We can then discuss proposals and vote.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Mission146JohnnyQJoeman
December 3rd, 2018 at 9:43:29 PM permalink
Thanks Mission for running this. A lot of fun, and i appreciate the You Suck award from a few years back. I hope you will reconsider.
Simple advice for everyone else... if you don't like it, don't play. But either way, don't bitch about it. The world has enough negativity these days.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
Mission146JohnnyQ
December 3rd, 2018 at 10:34:57 PM permalink
Another reason I've posted less recently in this thread is the squabbling, since I've taken the game to be EXACTLY what mission said it was... A fun game that brought people on the forums together to play something 'mostly' for fun (at least that's the intent behind the game). I don't enjoy playing -EV games, and the EV in this game for me was supposed to be the fun of getting an early lead, talking a lot of trash, then dumping my lead horrifically because I know relatively zero about sports picking.

I haven't even fully read through all of the squabbling. Just make your picks, and see where the chips fall. Hell if we have more weeks to go why the hell get caught up on speculation of what might if this or that. Just play and when the smoke clears we can discuss if someone has a more finite question.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
michael99000
michael99000
Thanked by
RSMission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 10:45:32 PM permalink
Quote: PlayYourCardsRight

Thanks Mission for running this. A lot of fun, and i appreciate the You Suck award from a few years back. I hope you will reconsider.
Simple advice for everyone else... if you don't like it, don't play. But either way, don't bitch about it. The world has enough negativity these days.

How does making a suggestion regarding a better way to run something equate to “bitching” about it ? I paid the same fee you and everyone else did to get in the pool , so the same way you can say it’s run good as is, I have the right to disagree and say there’s better methods. I never said anything had to change , only that all the problems and kinks associated with using a process that’s 15-20 years outdated could easily be fixed.

And anyone whose ever participated in a pool or contest hosted by an outsourced site knows exactly what I’m talking about.

I knew as soon as I brought up the idea mission was gonna start crying take his ball and go home. But week after week there’s a problem with someone’s picks being debated hours after the games started. Someone had to suggest the obvious solution to stopping that from occurring
PlayYourCardsRight
PlayYourCardsRight
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Mission146
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:21:26 PM permalink

How does making a suggestion regarding a better way to run something equate to “bitching” about it ? I paid the same fee you and everyone else did to get in the pool , so the same way you can say it’s run good as is, I have the right to disagree and say there’s better methods. I never said anything had to change , only that all the problems and kinks associated with using a process that’s 15-20 years outdated could easily be fixed.

And anyone whose ever participated in a pool or contest hosted by an outsourced site knows exactly what I’m talking about.

I knew as soon as I brought up the idea mission was gonna start crying take his ball and go home. But week after week there’s a problem with someone’s picks being debated hours after the games started. Someone had to suggest the obvious solution to stopping that from occurring

So if you KNEW your "suggestions" weren't going to be received in the manner you intended, either you are a jerk for saying it anyway or just someone who thinks his way is better than anyone else and has to brag on it. Either way, you aren't worth any more of my time.

I repeat, the game has run very well (not perfectly) for years and I hope Mission considers the support from all of us and comes back next year to do it again, with or without you. But definitely without your negativity.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 12:01:56 AM permalink
Not sure where all the negativity is coming from. A few thoughts:

- Frequent topics of discussion is figuring out how to handle someone's picks, because they messed it up somehow. If the rules are to be enforced strictly, as they state, then there should be no discussion or ambiguities....yet these discussions still happen for whatever reason. I reckon a time or two people have misspelled something which caused the results to get a little wonky. Sometimes people have misinterpreted the lines and thought they were making a different pick. Etc. Of course, it's the person's responsibility to double and triple check to make sure they're entering their picks properly. But given that it seems like people are re-checking their picks almost to the point of paranoia, that's....well.....that doesn't seem "right" to me.

- The way the game is played is rather antiquated to say the least. I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but seems like Mission gets a bunch of PMs every week, can't read them until Sunday kickoff time, he sends a PM to a trusted person (BBB?) with his own picks. Then when reading the PMs, either copies them into a spreadsheet, or sends them to someone else to have them put into a spreadsheet. Then either Monday night or Tuesday morning, that information is pasted onto the forum for all to see how everyone did that week along with everyone's new current standing.

- I have no idea how much time Mission (and others?) spend running this every week, but IME, it's gotta be a ton. That's Mission & others' prerogative.

- I'm obviously not playing in the game, but if I don't stay up to date on this thread, then it's pretty tough to figure out when and where the lines are posted, who made which picks, current standings, etc. I think others have shared similar experiences.

- None of that should be meant to take anything away from Mission, since he spends a lot of time and effort running the game, donating his own money to some prizes, and overall it seems like the game runs pretty smoothly. However, that doesn't mean the current system is the most efficient way to run it. And as long as there is money on the line, any amount of money, there should be zero or close to zero ambiguities involved.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 2:05:49 AM permalink
I'm concerned if $25 is considered a lot of money to some of you.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 2:07:30 AM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

So, first of all, THANKS to Mission146 for doing the heavy lifting on this for all these years.

Secondly, I don't think there is anything wrong with efficiency, especially when free sites exist. At least I think they exist. Every year I do an NCAA Basketball pool on-line that a friend organizes. He collects the money, he pays out to the winners, but the on-line site keeps track of everything. I think it is CBSSPORTS.com

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/games/football/office-pool-manager/

So, MAYBE that is an option for next year.

May I suggest that we.....

- don't get too riled up right now.

- have fun with the game as it is currently set up for the rest of the season.

- appreciate M146's voluntary work to help us have some friendly fun.

- knock DJATC out of first place.

I was going to give you a thank-you, but I want djatc to win it all. So have a partial on me. :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 2:21:40 AM permalink
Thanks Mission!

@Michael, your ideas aren’t original and you aren’t the first to bring them up. You’re just the person that is complaining the most (yes, it’s defintiely complaining). Just stow it until after the season please.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
unJonodiousgambittroopscottJohnnyQMission146AyecarumbaRisingDoughIndyJeffrey
December 4th, 2018 at 2:25:46 AM permalink
So how about we all just stop digging the hole deeper, here? Mission's offended, Michael's defensive, and the game is less fun thereby.

I'll just say thanks, Mission, I enjoy the game and have for several years now. I hope you change your mind and decide to host it again next year.

Hey, troopscott, I'm coming for you. I had my sights set on Aye the Bear, but by God, I'll be the You Suck before it's done. Gah.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
prozemaGWAE
December 4th, 2018 at 6:40:40 AM permalink

Yeah, because I’m not going to listen to someone talking about, “Days,” later when that’s not even remotely true. Anyway, if you’re agreeable, I’ll buy your entry for $25, Amazon Gift Card today, on the condition that you GTFO of my thread.

Also, we had the conversation about moving it offsite MONTHS ago during which time I already made it clear that I’m not running it if it’s not fully contained here. Thus, this entire line of discussion is entirely redundant and a complete waste of time.
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 6:45:42 AM permalink
Quote: PlayYourCardsRight

I repeat, the game has run very well (not perfectly) for years and I hope Mission considers the support from all of us and comes back next year to do it again, with or without you. But definitely without your negativity.

Unfortunately, I inquired for a totally different reason prior to the start of this year’s game and I’m encouraged not to reject any players provided they are in good standing with the Forum.

Therefore, as much as I appreciate the support, I don’t have the ability to exclude anyone from the game preemptively. Otherwise, I’d have likely gone invite only in the first place not being green and all.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 7:42:40 AM permalink
I appreciate the work you have put into this Mission. It's been a good and fun ride. Some members need to learn the difference between complaints and insults vs suggestions. You have every right to run the game as you wish, and if others don't like it, they don't have to play. Anyhow, thanks again!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
beachbumbabsMission146
December 4th, 2018 at 8:57:02 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

So how about we all just stop digging the hole deeper, here? Mission's offended, Michael's defensive, and the game is less fun thereby.

I'll just say thanks, Mission, I enjoy the game and have for several years now. I hope you change your mind and decide to host it again next year.

Hey, troopscott, I'm coming for you. I had my sights set on Aye the Bear, but by God, I'll be the You Suck before it's done. Gah.

AAck!! The basement belongs to me. You all need to go upstairs... Who has been puttin' out their Kools on my floor?

prozema
prozema
Thanked by
Mission146JohnnyQ
December 4th, 2018 at 8:58:29 AM permalink
Sometimes I know I should just keep quiet but I can't help myself. I'm sure this is one of those times, but...

I think a fair number of us have learned how to survive / thrive in situations that are less than perfectly efficient. We have settled on accepting things as they are and finding the best path we can considering the circumstances... Maybe that option is to not play...

While it's not my personal goal to improve everything I'm involved in, I know others are motivated to save the world one pick'em game at a time. Different folks, different strokes.

With all that said, if the criticism / suggestion would have received the following response, everyone would have forgotten it by now...

"Thanks for weighing in. Unfortunately the rules are set this year and cannot be changed now."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 9:40:22 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

I'm concerned if $25 is considered a lot of money to some of you.

It will be a lot when you win them all! Congrats DJ!
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 10:08:21 AM permalink
You're all gonna look like damn fools when I win a "few" more than I lose and hit 50% on the nose to win it all (and by all I mean most average).

Suckers.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
troopscott
troopscott
Thanked by
Mission146Ayecarumbabeachbumbabs
December 4th, 2018 at 10:29:08 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

AAck!! The basement belongs to me. You all need to go upstairs... Who has been puttin' out their Kools on my floor?

you must be high. I announced at the beginning I was the worst player and all dead money. It took me a few weeks to overcome so luck but I am full steam ahead now on the biggest loser

I have $25 that says I am the worst
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 10:42:02 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

You're all gonna look like damn fools when I win a "few" more than I lose and hit 50% on the nose to win it all (and by all I mean most average).

Suckers.

Ironic if I split the average prize with people that win more than me because they get the closest to me prize also.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 10:47:54 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Ironic if I split the average prize with people that win more than me because they get the closest to me prize also.

Hehe... I'm pretty sure you'd join the undead after getting bitten by those vampires.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 10:53:52 AM permalink
Ask your mother
I am a robot.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 2:51:41 PM permalink
I am just 2 games below the 0.500 mark, and I think I have as good a shot as anyone at some Mr. Average cash. This game is still ON.

Thanks to Mission for running this contest and for donating money to the prize pool all these years. This contest is one of my favorite things about the forum.

Thanks also to Michael6600 for being a typical WOV forum nerd and trying to improve the things that he sees here. During the early portion of this thread I made almost all the points that Michael6600 is making and I advocated moving the mechanical parts of the contest to CBSSports or one of the many sites with automated picks contest software. I guess I just accepted Mission's reasoning (also expressed earlier in the thread) that the contest is designed to increase traffic on this site and that the fact that he donates his private funds to the prize pool should be factored in.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2018 at 6:01:36 PM permalink
Quote: troopscott

I announced at the beginning I was the worst player and all dead money. It took me a few weeks to overcome so luck but I am full steam ahead now on the biggest loser

Your record, which as you point out is indeed in last place, is even worse than the Cleveland Browns record. Shame on you.
Last edited by: JohnnyQ on Dec 4, 2018
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
  • Jump to: