Thread Rating:

rektfast
rektfast
Joined: May 9, 2022
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 56
May 9th, 2022 at 12:16:59 PM permalink
In 9/6 Jacks or Better do you think it would be better to play safe hands like pairs, two pairs, and full houses while going for quads and ignoring the possibility of royal flushes entirely? I've heard some machines are rigged not to hit royal flushes or that they use a form of pseudo-RNG. Most people assume that optimal play will give the greatest payback over a long enough period of time, but you can purposely limit your time horizon to a few hands to increase variance and consequently make more money than shoving quarters into a machine in the hopeless attempt to hit a royal. What do you think? Are there strategies for video poker we haven't thought of?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 3083
May 9th, 2022 at 12:31:20 PM permalink
So you'll have 4 to a Royal every 1,000 hands. Feeling lucky?
rektfast
rektfast
Joined: May 9, 2022
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 56
May 9th, 2022 at 12:34:06 PM permalink
No. But if you think of your bankroll like a sine wave, you want to cash out at the apex. So shouldn't we play few hands, but at very high bets per hand, and then just quit once you're ahead? I feel like just playing VP forever is a losing proposition even if with comps you can get slightly over 100% RTP. There has to be some way to limit the scope of the game and make it winnable.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 13347
May 9th, 2022 at 12:35:55 PM permalink
I have to think that JOB has been dissected and studied to such an extreme that every possibility has been explored. This is not my area of study. If you are playing in a licensed casino, you should get a fair game but be aware there are games that look like video poker but are really slot machines. Know the rules and the jurisdictions.
If you don't care about the royal, you might as well play single coin so, right off the bat, you are saving a dollar a spin.
Trying to beat video poker without taking promos, slot clubs, drawings and the like is a very tough thing to do. Most players lose a little on every spin but make it up with rebates on their volume.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 3083
May 9th, 2022 at 12:45:23 PM permalink
The home games I've played either started with 100 credits, or 400 credits. The way to 0 is obvious, you can only levitate for so long before the next buy-in.

The Wizard has a web game you can play that starts with 1,000 credits. I'd suggest playing 10,000 hands minimum and see how much you're down after each 100 hands. Maybe it's easier at a casino where you can count session points and make a note.
https://wizardofvegas.com/games/video-poker/
I fell to 760 credits, just one straight flush from being ahead, then I got a 4 of a kind and a Full House and I was back at 900 credits, so not ahead.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on May 9, 2022
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 3469
Thanks for this post from:
camaplOnceDear
May 9th, 2022 at 12:52:57 PM permalink
Quote: rektfast

No. But if you think of your bankroll like a sine wave, you want to cash out at the apex. So shouldn't we play few hands, but at very high bets per hand, and then just quit once you're ahead? I feel like just playing VP forever is a losing proposition even if with comps you can get slightly over 100% RTP. There has to be some way to limit the scope of the game and make it winnable.
link to original post



It would make sense if your bankroll followed a sine wave and not, say, a random walk.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 3202
May 9th, 2022 at 12:59:58 PM permalink
Quote: rektfast

No. But if you think of your bankroll like a sine wave, you want to cash out at the apex. So shouldn't we play few hands, but at very high bets per hand, and then just quit once you're ahead? I feel like just playing VP forever is a losing proposition even if with comps you can get slightly over 100% RTP. There has to be some way to limit the scope of the game and make it winnable.
link to original post



Quitting while you're ahead sounds great.

When are you ahead?
What tells you that you won't be winning the next hand if you don't quit?

I've been trying to figure this out for years, and I haven't cottoned on to the certain circumstances that could improve my play results from this technique.
May the cards fall in your favor.
camapl
camapl 
Joined: Jun 22, 2010
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 301
Thanks for this post from:
Dieter
May 9th, 2022 at 1:02:47 PM permalink
I’ve been trying to hole card VP for years. Haven’t found a machine that will expose any cards yet…
* Actual results may vary.
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 2014
May 9th, 2022 at 1:30:14 PM permalink
Quote: rektfast

I've heard some machines are rigged not to hit royal flushes or that they use a form of pseudo-RNG.



Every random number generator is a pseudo-RNG. You can't program something to be truly random. You can get really really really really really close, but never to true randomness.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
Joined: Jun 15, 2018
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 3083
May 9th, 2022 at 1:36:19 PM permalink
I threw the flush away but got nothing.

  • Jump to: