Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
December 15th, 2021 at 9:32:37 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

News flash: at $10/hr they’re still living off subsidies.
link to original post

I have not seen starting wage that low in years.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 15th, 2021 at 10:11:39 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

link to original post

Come visit the southeast....the same retail places owned by mega corps have signs on their doors about constantly changing hours of service due to worker shortage while simultaneously having hiring signs outside of starting wages $9.30-10.50/hr. They just don’t get it that they can’t get away with it to that extent anymore. South Dakota is similar.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 80
December 15th, 2021 at 10:14:20 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I know many people that make less than $10 an hour on the clock but still bring home close to $100k a year with tips included.
Order from chaos
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
December 15th, 2021 at 11:43:18 AM permalink

Quote: lilredrooster

I think you meant to say people do not want to work for market rate.

if people don't want to work for the wage offered then it's not the market rate anymore
for it to be a market rate there has to be active participants

link to original post

Lots are working for it. But somehow we have created a layabout class living off subsidies. Remove them and people will return to work.
link to original post

Older Americans 55 and up account for 90% of those not returning for work.

Quote:

ADP Chief Economist Nela Richardson said the strong stock market along with soaring home prices "has given some higher income people options. We already saw a large portion of the Boomer workforce retiring. And they're in a better position now."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-millions-of-jobless-americans-can-afford-to-ditch-work/ar-AARPZDb?ocid=undefined
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear 
  • Threads: 51
December 16th, 2021 at 2:30:36 AM permalink
BBC News website gets it wrong! On the topic of Coronavirus Maths
I respect the UK's BBC as a fair source of Covid info, but talking about the exponential growth of Omicron, I had to disagree with their assessment. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59676569
Quote: BBC Website Bolding is mine

Omicron cases are rising rapidly, probably now doubling every two days...
If the two-day doubling continues, by Christmas Day 640,000 Omicron infections would be being recorded and early in the new year the whole population will have been infected.

Most of the UK population..... But not all of us. Exponential growth will hit herd immunity, or a pinch point as it runs out of hosts or a ceiling as it misses out on the socially reclusive.
Still, it IS spreading massively and as that article says
Quote: BBC

We're seeing two epidemics at once
Omicron is spreading rapidly, but Delta is not disappearing. ...This is likely to be because Omicron is able to get past some of the body's defences built up by vaccination and previous infection. The two variants are not competing for the same people.

Meanwhile, yesterday, we had a somewhat gloomy and politically charged press conference from our Prime Minister. and it's interesting how it played out. The PM has come under MASSIVE pressure not to 'Ban Christmas' or do anything to damage the hospitality industry. So he was very restricted in his advice to 'be careful at those Christmas get togethers' but he was flanked by his outspoken Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty who gave a crystal clear message.
Quote: UK Chief Medical Advisor

"think carefully" before attending celebrations."...
"I really think people should be prioritising those things - and only those things - that really matter to them,"...
"Because otherwise the risk of someone getting infected at something that doesn't really matter to them and then not being able to do the things that matter to them obviously goes up."

He got some flak for that!
My take-away message. Omicron IS spreading very quickly. We don't yet know what deaths will follow. I'll avoid getting it this year as the picture gets clearer.
YMMV
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 64
December 16th, 2021 at 2:41:40 AM permalink
If your area has 10K cases of Omicron already and it's spreading at a rate of 10 fold every 10 days, within a month you've got ten million cases, within 2 months you've got 10 billion cases. I expect a global lockdown near imminently. Get your booster shots if you're eligible. China shut down for less.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 16th, 2021 at 2:51:24 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

If your area has 10K cases of Omicron already and it's spreading at a rate of 10 fold every 10 days, within a month you've got ten million cases, within 2 months you've got 10 billion cases. I expect a global lockdown near imminently. Get your booster shots if you're eligible.
link to original post

Well that is just mathematically impossible but not surprising
from you, carry on.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 64
December 16th, 2021 at 3:31:07 AM permalink
In New York, Cornell University reported 903 cases among students this week – many of them cases of the Omicron variant among fully vaccinated people. The school closed early and went virtual.

US hospitals brace for potential Omicron surge in January
In many states, healthcare systems are already under strain due to an increase in Delta infections over the Thanksgiving holidays
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/16/us-hospitals-brace-for-potential-omicron-surge-in-january

Cornell is so multi-cultural it reminds me of Los Angeles.

France bans UK tourists over Omicron. British tourists banned from entering France from Saturday. France has called on people who had planned to visit the UK to “postpone their travel”.
The UK on Wednesday recorded its highest rate of confirmed positive infections since the pandemic began, with 78,610 new positive results.
There are 15 confirmed people in UK hospitals with the Omicron variant, but the actual number is likely to be “much bigger.”

The Indonesian president, Joko Widodo, has urged people - including government officials - not to travel abroad after the country detected its first Omicron case.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Dec 16, 2021
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 229
December 16th, 2021 at 3:37:32 AM permalink

If your area has 10K cases of Omicron already and it's spreading at a rate of 10 fold every 10 days, within a month you've got ten million cases, within 2 months you've got 10 billion cases. I expect a global lockdown near imminently. Get your booster shots if you're eligible.
link to original post

Well that is just mathematically impossible but not surprising
from you, carry on.
link to original post

It is demonstrating absurdity by being absurd. Limbaugh used to use the same kind of demonstration. He almost invented it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear 
  • Threads: 51
December 16th, 2021 at 4:34:45 AM permalink

US hospitals brace for potential Omicron surge in January
In many states, healthcare systems are already under strain due to an increase in Delta infections over the Thanksgiving holidays
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/16/us-hospitals-brace-for-potential-omicron-surge-in-january
link to original post

We can already see the incoming tsunami of Omicron infections in the UK Europe and probably the US. What we don't know is whether it will be followed by pro rata hospitalisations and deaths.
Bad timing for XMas get-togethers.
This is a pandemic on top of a pandemic. January should be interesting.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.

• Jump to: