Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 248
November 17th, 2020 at 11:02:09 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Lets just say I stopped buying the media story months ago. You want to believe without question feel free.

You live in Pennsylvania, correct?

They have hospitals in Pennsylvania?

You insist that the media is lying. Anyone who listens to the media is just following without question.

So, AZ why do you not visit your local major hospital and see for yourself.

If you can produce a video of you visiting your local PA hospital and there are zero covid cases, the doctors you interview laugh at the suggestion covid is dangerous, then perhaps you can claim to not disbelieve without question.

I'm pretty certain you can't do that. You can't find a quiet Coronavirus free hospital right now.

Willing to bet visiting a hospital to check for yourself the dangers of covid never occurred to you
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
November 17th, 2020 at 11:22:14 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

That would be hilarious if the pandemic was ended thanks to Listerine.

When the Spanish encountered Amazonian witch doctors, they laughed at them for feeding sick people moldy bread. Four hundred years later, western medicine "discovered" penicillin.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 41
November 17th, 2020 at 7:34:56 PM permalink
"You can't sterilize your mouth." https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-mouthwash-debunker-wellness/index.html
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
November 17th, 2020 at 8:03:15 PM permalink
Ahhh man, who let the turd in the punch bowl.
LVJackal
LVJackal
  • Threads: 4
Thanks for this post from:
unJonSOOPOOJoeman
November 18th, 2020 at 5:37:17 PM permalink
I thank all who contributed and managed to navigate the political land mines in abiding by this forum's rules.

AZ, Drich and others have done an amazing job of communicating their unpopular opinions.. albeit not without a minor amount of antagonism.

DarkOz, KJ, Terapined (I love the dead) have stated their positions as well! We seem to be at an economy vs. lives juxtaposition. Essentially would I lose my mother (68) for economic growth? On the surface no: 300 lives maybe affected by her loss. To the positive, yet my own would be devastated!

Pardon my rambling: Covid-19 is a rare combination of spectacular events! As many as 80% maybe asymptomatic- therefore an entire Sturgis rally could theoretically show no symptoms, and still their contacts could infect a multitude of people beyond the initial infection point!

Could the US have done better in both economic value preserved and lives saved? Absolutely!! Was one greater in value than the other? The answer may take years! Did saving lives preserve future economic growth? The early evidence suggests yes. Although this is debatable.. Sweden with no lockdowns seems to have suffered, while Japan with a popular buy in seems to have benefitted- 15 years later we can evaluate a true picture.

Here in our own little WoV world we can mimic society at large. Most likely both AZ and DO are correct based on their own observations of the virus, and yet still- both dramatically wrong pending a postmortem of the event.

Anecdotally; assume both are correct- the proper choice would then be- life goes on as close to normal as we can maintain- utilizing mitigation measures based on science and past observable effects. Both approaches are therefore viable: Darkoz elects to remove himself from the potential super spreader equation, and AZ chooses to support his and others economic viability in accordance with observable math.

Neither AZ nor DO should denigrate the other as both are essentially within their viewpoints correct. Based simply on this moment in time. Again, I reiterate: assuming all of the above is correct- how can america navigate the next pandemic?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 41
November 18th, 2020 at 5:39:30 PM permalink
Thanksgiving is cancelled, unless Atlas Shrugged.
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
November 19th, 2020 at 4:36:45 AM permalink
A study from Lehigh University has shown that conservatives are more likely to take threats seriously when they have more agency. The article I read mentioned that other entities like the media or public figures are considered more threatening than the virus. The article goes on to say that conservatives put more emphasis on free will, whereas liberals are more willing to accept than randomness plays a role. With these findings it's not hard to see where everyone is coming from in this thread.
It does feel like we're too late to do much to slow Covid down at this point and that mitigation measures are ineffective, but that's only because we weren't strict enough initially. Best we can do now is try to slow the spread and try to keep hospitals functioning effectively.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
November 19th, 2020 at 4:40:12 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Thanksgiving is cancelled, unless Atlas Shrugged.

Who is John Galt?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
November 19th, 2020 at 4:55:27 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

It does feel like we're too late to do much to slow Covid down at this point and that mitigation measures are ineffective, but that's only because we weren't strict enough initially. Best we can do now is try to slow the spread and try to keep hospitals functioning effectively.

See, the dirty little secret is we cannot do much to slow ANY virus. Not when you have to live life.

An earlier post said something about I and others do not want to sacrifice economic growth. It is not so much about "growth" as it is survival.

How crazy is it to think we can just lock everything down? Take a look at your day!

You wake up and get a shower. You want water? Well, the workers at the water works have to get to work and provide it. And the sewer workers have to get rid of it.

You want that water hot? The electric or gas workers must show up.

Want to have coffee and breakfast? Going to need to open the grocery stores and for each item there is an entire supply chain. You cannot tell cows not to show up to be milked for 3-4 weeks. You had better feed the hens who make the eggs because we cannot tell them they are on their own for 3-4 weeks.

All that supply chain that cannot be stopped still needs gasoline, refinery workers have to show.

Look how many workers we already have to let out to work, and you have not even finished your breakfast!

The people whining that "we did not contain it!" never look at this big picture. They just want to blame someone or something because nature did something they did not like. The ask for mask mandates because it makes them feel we are doing something. Sorry, but we have to just rough thru this.

Fact is anyone who does not remember before the mid-1960s has not had to rough thru anything on a large scale. Now that we have to some are rising to the challenge others are hoping that wearing a mask will just make it all go away. They have been wearing masks for about 200 days now in most places and are thinking that the masks should have ended it........yet it is still here! So, since the masks did not end it now they want to be locked down again! What will they want when that does not work?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 178
November 19th, 2020 at 7:32:20 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Who is John Galt?

After reading Atlas Shrugged, a better question might be who cares?
Or as a friend once remarked- he is the guy you don't want to get stuck sitting next to at a dinner party.

• Jump to: