Thread Rating:

terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5781
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
November 16th, 2020 at 10:31:02 AM permalink
Her tweet
I have a night off from the hospital. As Iím on my couch with my dog I canít help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still donít believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is Going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that ďstuffĒ because they donít have COViD because itís not real. Yes. This really happens. And I canít stop thinking about it. These people really think this isnít going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. Itís like a fucking horror movie that never ends. Thereís no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again.Which is what I will do for the next three nights. But tonight. Itís me and Cliff and Oreo ice cream. And how ironic I have on my ďhomeĒ
Hoodie. The South Dakota I love seems far away right now.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
DeMango
DeMango
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 2661
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
November 16th, 2020 at 10:43:36 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

This doesn't make sense. You go to your doctor and s/he tells you that they have the Pfizer vaccine on hand and it's been properly stored, you're going to turn it down because of the difference in storage?

He seldom makes sense. We all died several months ago with his prognostications!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 2583
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
November 16th, 2020 at 10:47:35 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Her tweet
I have a night off from the hospital. As Iím on my couch with my dog I canít help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still donít believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is Going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that ďstuffĒ because they donít have COViD because itís not real. Yes. This really happens. And I canít stop thinking about it. These people really think this isnít going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. Itís like a fucking horror movie that never ends. Thereís no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again.Which is what I will do for the next three nights. But tonight. Itís me and Cliff and Oreo ice cream. And how ironic I have on my ďhomeĒ
Hoodie. The South Dakota I love seems far away right now.



Would be nice if she could refrain from having open contempt and disdain for the people sheís caring for during this.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 224
  • Posts: 12332
November 16th, 2020 at 10:51:18 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

And WHY are (some) people doing that? Answer.... In the expectation that (hopefully soon) there will be a time when it is (much) safer to resume normal life, and to be alive to be able to do so.



I am not so interested in the "why" more in the "that."

It will be a good lesson for the people who say, "it can't happen here!" because they think the USA is immune to being locked down.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10249
November 16th, 2020 at 10:53:46 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

. Duhhhh. Thatís easy.... the answer.... ďmultiple vaccines for COVID-19Ē. Perhaps not the answer you were angling for, but thankfully, the factual answer.




Will the government support multiple vaccines or will it pick one? With different vaccines having different storage conditions and shelf lives, it will just add to the logistical nightmare of trying to get hundreds of millions of doses distributed. One of the vaccines requires two doses given three weeks apart. How will people feel about their neighbor getting the second dose while their family is still waiting for the first? Meanwhile, the administration that will actually be doing the distribution is left in the dark about what plans the current one has.
darkoz
darkoz 
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 247
  • Posts: 7768
November 16th, 2020 at 11:19:27 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

This doesn't make sense. You go to your doctor and s/he tells you that they have the Pfizer vaccine on hand and it's been properly stored, you're going to turn it down because of the difference in storage?



I don't think he was referring to his personal choice while in the hospital.

I think he was referring to which vaccine has a better chance of successful distribution.

-70c is not possible with normal refrigeration. Those hospitals that don't have special refrigeration will need to purchase them and they are five digits cost each from what I understand.

That's not even taking into account the transportation requirements at -70c.

So Moderns has an edge if their vaccine only requires -20c
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 5781
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
November 16th, 2020 at 11:28:50 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Would be nice if she could refrain from having open contempt and disdain for the people sheís caring for during this.


Just the patients that are nasty too her. When I was in the hospital, I always treated nurses with respect. It's a hard and very very dangerous job.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
Joined: May 19, 2016
  • Threads: 52
  • Posts: 668
Thanks for this post from:
darkozrawtuffSOOPOO
November 16th, 2020 at 11:40:19 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The point is notice how fast you let yourself go from living a normal life to hiding at home.



Are people really "hiding at home" where you live? Is "hiding" a troll aimed at those who do their best to follow guidance from local authorities? Both? Neither?

I'm 73, and I expect to die if I catch C-virus. C-virus is beyond my control. When I have chores in town, I go and do them. I wear my mask when in town because it helps keep everyone safer. I try to stay home unless I have a reason to be somewhere else. I'm not "hiding" when I do my best to help us all get through the worst international pandemic in 100 years.

I understand you are more willing to expose yourself to C-virus, and you may be correct that others such as myself overestimate the dangers. However, you repeatedly refer to the stay-at-home folks as "hiding." Folks who follow pandemic guidelines are not "hiding," unless that's what you see where you live. If folks where you live truly are "hiding," it would be nice if you added clarification such as, "...around here..." That way it won't sound so offensive to those who choose a less devil-may-care approach to the virus. Please stop referring to folks who follow pandemic guidelines as "hiding."
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 178
  • Posts: 10249
November 16th, 2020 at 12:20:32 PM permalink
Pretty much the only difference in m life is I have not set foot in a bar in many months. I miss not being able to go to one and maybe see a band but if that is the worse thing that happens during a pandemic, I can accept that. I've shifted my business to the internet and it is thriving to the point where I may never re-open the shop. Rather than waiting for someone to come into my shop and try to haggle with me over an item, I have people bidding them up well past my original price. I just mailed out two jerseys today. Both were priced at $149 in my store. One went for $300 and the other for $255. It's nice being able to do my work whenever I want instead of being tied down to certain hours.
darkoz
darkoz 
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 247
  • Posts: 7768
November 16th, 2020 at 12:32:38 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Pretty much the only difference in m life is I have not set foot in a bar in many months. I miss not being able to go to one and maybe see a band but if that is the worse thing that happens during a pandemic, I can accept that. I've shifted my business to the internet and it is thriving to the point where I may never re-open the shop. Rather than waiting for someone to come into my shop and try to haggle with me over an item, I have people bidding them up well past my original price. I just mailed out two jerseys today. Both were priced at $149 in my store. One went for $300 and the other for $255. It's nice being able to do my work whenever I want instead of being tied down to certain hours.



After 30 years at the same hair salon, my hair stylist had to take customers at her home during the shutdown. When her salon reopened in August she worked for one week before realizing she made more money and better hours continuing to work at home.

The hair salon is empty now probably going out of business. But the stylist is doing quite well

This pandemic will probably result in a big shakeup for business. And depending on your viewpoint on a positive or negative manner
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee

  • Jump to: