Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1355
June 15th, 2020 at 7:54:55 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

The U.S. response has been a semi-comedic disaster. I keep asking people, "Why do you think shutting down some U.S. states for a month will be effective as opposed to twice the length of time in Italy or Spain?" No answers. I keep asking people, "At what point in number of deaths do you shut down again -- 150,000, 200,000, 300,000?" Nobody wants to give an answer.

It's all day-to-day "thoughts and prayers" while chucking-and-ducking responsibility. If people weren't dying left and right, it'd be hilarious. American hubris and lack of discipline at its finest.

Everything is right on schedule, as I mention in:

Link redacted by management

Advertising/political statement -- three day suspension.

If one wants to link to his own site, permission should be sought first.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 159
June 20th, 2020 at 5:28:56 AM permalink
incredible to me

the U.S. sent a spacecraft to within 8,000 miles of Pluto, more than 3.5 BILLION miles away
but the smartest people in the world can't figure out this virus
they're all just guessing

really effing s...s - big time
𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵............. ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 51
June 20th, 2020 at 5:50:52 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

incredible to me ... the smartest people in the world can't figure out this virus

True, the "smart" folk have not yet "figured out" this virus. It is a newly discovered virus. It is complex, with unexpected new virus strains, each with different effects. I understand impatient gamblers find the international pandemic inconvenient to their desires. Unfortunately, science doesn't work according to the timetable of impatient gamblers.

With every passing week, we learn more about the virus. Yes, the early expert advice got changed. As we work to unravel how best to resolve the pandemic, we need to understand that this is how science works. Thanx to WoV members who follow the various (possible) medical solutions, as we will never be safe until a workable vaccine is discovered.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
June 20th, 2020 at 12:13:10 PM permalink
It took nature a couple of billion years to create this virus. Isolating it and coming up with a vaccine in anything close to a year will be a miracle.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
June 20th, 2020 at 12:46:00 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It took nature a couple of billion years to create this virus. Isolating it and coming up with a vaccine in anything close to a year will be a miracle.

True that.

We need a treatment more than a vaccine.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 39
June 20th, 2020 at 5:26:42 PM permalink
Hmmm, it's either cinnamon candy or 160 proof Russian vodka.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
June 20th, 2020 at 6:27:34 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Hmmm, it's either cinnamon candy or 160 proof Russian vodka.

Or Leronlimab
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 27
June 20th, 2020 at 7:35:32 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: redietz

The U.S. response has been a semi-comedic disaster. I keep asking people, "Why do you think shutting down some U.S. states for a month will be effective as opposed to twice the length of time in Italy or Spain?" No answers. I keep asking people, "At what point in number of deaths do you shut down again -- 150,000, 200,000, 300,000?" Nobody wants to give an answer.

It's all day-to-day "thoughts and prayers" while chucking-and-ducking responsibility. If people weren't dying left and right, it'd be hilarious. American hubris and lack of discipline at its finest.

Everything is right on schedule, as I mention in:

Link redacted by management

Advertising/political statement -- three day suspension.

If one wants to link to his own site, permission should be sought first.

The interesting thing about this comment was that the word "political" was attached to it when I used the phrase "United States." Presumably, in the interests of fairness and consistency, then, anything that says "the United States did great sending a probe to Pluto" or "the United States is a world leader" is also a "political statement" and should lead to a suspension. By definition, any commentary on the U.S.'s scientific proficiency or lack thereof or organizational abilities or lack thereof is a political statement.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike being a lousy road is a political statement. The signage around Charlotte being terrible is a political statement. They all reflect on some aspect of government.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
June 20th, 2020 at 8:03:16 PM permalink
Some days Mike cracks the whip harder than usual. Unless you're really aggrieved about it, a couple days suspension is usually not worth arguing about.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 16
June 20th, 2020 at 8:25:19 PM permalink
Might have just been a cumulative thing, and part of it linking own blog. Id say somewhere around 80% of his posts could be interpreted as political, mostly appearing to be consciously toeing the line without being egregious.

• Jump to: