Thread Rating:

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
June 12th, 2020 at 4:44:43 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Would you really risk your life for money like that?

Now there’s a question worthy of a WOV poll.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 74
June 12th, 2020 at 9:13:08 AM permalink

We risk our lives every day. The question is how much risk would you accept for that amount of money.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 244
June 12th, 2020 at 9:26:38 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

We risk our lives every day. The question is how much risk would you accept for that amount of money.

Yeah Everytime we eat lunch we risk choking so it's about the same as intentionally getting infected with Covid-19
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
June 12th, 2020 at 9:36:53 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Yeah Everytime we eat lunch we risk choking so it's about the same as intentionally getting infected with Covid-19

It is actually the same. Cost-Benefit analysis.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 12th, 2020 at 10:51:54 AM permalink

For a 99% chance at one billion dollars? Absolutely. I dunno where my cutoff would be though. Maybe 9 of 10? Maybe less. I'm not terribly happy with my current life anyway.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 27
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOOtringlomane
June 12th, 2020 at 11:25:45 AM permalink
Here's why I previously argued against throwing the "second wave" lingo around unless you're talking about New York or New Jersey:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/new-coronavirus-spread-isnt-the-feared-second-wave–its-still-the-first-researchers-say/ar-BB15oFuB?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

American media has been way too quick to add "second wave" to various headlines the last few days. If something hasn't left or seriously tamped down for a month or two, it's still a first wave. Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Texas, Tennessee, the Carolinas -- all first wave, delayed and held in check by lockdowns. Governors have been trying to impose "second wave" rhetoric to explain away why they eased regulations when the first wave hadn't even hit its stride. Better to say you opened up after the first wave than during, eh?

Now it'll start to snowball.

Folks, the U.S. response has been a truly proverbial unmitigated disaster. And it'll get worse. Buckle up.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
June 12th, 2020 at 12:30:26 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

No, the question should be how much pain am I willing to put my loved ones through. I lost my father at a relatively young age and certainly would want a few more years with him instead of a billion dollars.
While I am not surprised so many addicts are willing to risk their lives for free, I am surprised how little they seem to care about their loved ones.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 175
June 12th, 2020 at 12:46:22 PM permalink
The head of the largest health provider in Arizona sounded a disturbing warning that if the current trend continues, the state will be out of ICU beds by the weekend of the Fourth. So the Governor has a press conference where he tries to use all sorts of charts to show there is not an icu shortage at this moment. Says he is worried about today, not next month.
The head of Banner states that all nine of this one type of specialty machines they have are in use. The Governor says the state has a surplus of these machines but won't say how many they have or where they are. He produces letters from two other hospital groups stating they currently have no shortages of beds.
Gov. goes on to say that the national media has got it wrong, that the new cases are only because he is testing more, and that the increase in hospitalizations and deaths are a sign that his policies are working.
DRich
DRich
June 12th, 2020 at 1:26:54 PM permalink

While I am not surprised so many addicts are willing to risk their lives for free, I am surprised how little they seem to care about their loved ones.

Not everyone has loved ones.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
June 12th, 2020 at 2:37:13 PM permalink
WI at 287 cases statewide, down 19 over last day, down 68 over last 7 days. 104 of those are in ICU, up 3 over last day, down 20 over last week.

374 ICU beds immediately available, 1,481 total.

• Jump to: