December 9th, 2020 at 4:42:54 PM permalink
Was the entire thread just blocked???

I just wanted to block rdw4potus from the thread
Math is the only true form of knowledge
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
December 9th, 2020 at 5:08:18 PM permalink
Does anyone still think I just made this thread to get cheap analysis? Does anyone believe I would ever post a question that I didn't already know the answer to?
Last edited by: USpapergames on Dec 9, 2020
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 9th, 2020 at 5:10:24 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

Does anything think still think I just made this thread to get cheap analysis? Does anyone believe I would ever post a question that I didn't already know the answer to?

What makes you think your answer is correct? What happens when an expert gets a different answer?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 12:16:22 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

What makes you think your answer is correct? What happens when an expert gets a different answer?

It's funny, I go back to check the thread & I see you left another comment :/

If anyone gets different answers then they didn't do it right. It should be obvious because their answers won't add up to the sum of combinations or 100%
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 12:19:16 AM permalink
Off-topic: Been a fan of SUSD for many years now. This is a great review!

https://youtu.be/Bm8qfrjtJbI
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 12:23:21 AM permalink
Off-topic: Another favorite channel of mine, this video has been on my mind ;)

https://youtu.be/F0b8b_ykPQk
Last edited by: OnceDear on Dec 10, 2020
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
rdw4potusCrystalMath
December 10th, 2020 at 5:37:17 AM permalink

I believe you think it's easy but if you actually did the work you would have a difficult time matching my results. Please 🙏 do the work before you have an opinion because to me it sounds like you have thought of a solution of how to program these hand rankings but actually hasn't done the work to prove your correct.
If you could get your program to come up with the same answers as I did by hand then I would be impressed.

Again, you are supposing it is a hard task without having any experience at the task! Everyone is allowed their uninformed opinion.

I knocked off five more cases this morning before 8am. This includes a doublet case where a hand fits the definition of more than one class. My algorithm classified them properly without any confusion. I had the program alert me with a message when a conflicts occur.
For example: "Class definition for D2_Tone overlaps with Suited_D2T"

This is the task that you said was extremely hard, but is actually quite simple. You should start preparing your next spurious objection so I don't have to waste time waiting for you. Or you could just concede that I am right and let me get back to my normal activities.

I remind you that I only landed on this thread three days ago, and and I have only worked on the problem for about five hours, so far. There are a dozen hand cases remaining in your 4-card set. I might work on a few more every now and then just to take a break from doing harder tasks in my real life.

Hand Number Frequency Cumm. Prob Cycle
--------------------------------------------------------------
Color_Quad 25 0.0006376% 0.0006376% 156849
Quad_Flush 100 0.0025502% 0.0025502% 39212
Suited_D2T 300 0.0076507% 0.0076507% 13071
CS_Doublet 300 0.0076507% 0.0076507% 13071
2T_Flush 400 0.0102009% 0.0102009% 9803
DJ_Quad 600 0.0153013% 0.0153013% 6535
Co_Doublet 1500 0.0382534% 0.0382534% 2614
D2_Tone 1500 0.0382534% 0.0382534% 2614
Fools_Hand 3916500 99.8795033% 99.8795033% 1
-- 3921225 100.0000000% 100.0000000% 1
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
December 10th, 2020 at 6:39:14 AM permalink

So go to your Roku's web browser and type in the exact URLs ;)

Roku's YouTube app doesn't seem to have this ability. You can't enter the video code in the Search box; among other things, all letters are converted to lowercase.

I did watch the first half or so of the first video, and one thing stood out. I have a feeling you seriously overestimate my math ability (I do have a bachelor's degree, but it's in computer science, although I was only a couple of courses short of getting one in applied mathematics as well - still, my knowledge of things like "group theory" is limited), but I am under the impression that your "secret formula" for calculating the number of partitions where the number of elements > the maximum number of groupings (e.g. the "5 cards, 4 suits" number) is known as the "partition function Q." I am under the impression that there is no closed form method for determining this; if you have one, I suggest that you publish it somewhere and have it reviewed by (other) experts in the field.

I have a feeling the main skepticism in this group is not that you can't calculate these things, but you are comparing mathematical methods against brute force computing methods which tend to be faster. Sure, you can use mathematics to determine whether or not 26,972,593 - 1 is prime (hint: yes, it is), but a computer will get the result much faster.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 10:36:13 AM permalink
Quote: Mental

Again, you are supposing it is a hard task without having any experience at the task! Everyone is allowed their uninformed opinion.

I knocked off five more cases this morning before 8am. This includes a doublet case where a hand fits the definition of more than one class. My algorithm classified them properly without any confusion. I had the program alert me with a message when a conflicts occur.
For example: "Class definition for D2_Tone overlaps with Suited_D2T"

This is the task that you said was extremely hard, but is actually quite simple. You should start preparing your next spurious objection so I don't have to waste time waiting for you. Or you could just concede that I am right and let me get back to my normal activities.

I remind you that I only landed on this thread three days ago, and and I have only worked on the problem for about five hours, so far. There are a dozen hand cases remaining in your 4-card set. I might work on a few more every now and then just to take a break from doing harder tasks in my real life.

Fools_Hand 3916500 99.8795033% 99.8795033% 1
-- 3921225 100.0000000% 100.0000000% 1

1) From what I can see you haven't gotten to the hard part yet.
2) I never has Jim Thompson attempt the 4 card probablities so I'm not sure the difficulty level, especially when you already have the hand rankings and the probabilities to compare with already.
3) Jim Thompson needed me to complete the program, he couldn't do it alone & without my theorum I don't help you can do it either.
4) When we did finally get the hand ranking program to finally work, his super computer could only do the calculations for 5 card hands, we tried 6 card hands and the program crashed! He told me he would need 10x more possession power just to solve 6 card probabilities!!!
5) it took me and Jim 6 months of work to get the program that far and yet you think you can do better in days???

Listen to me, if you are that good at programming then you NEED to prove it to me, because if your right we can make millions together!!!
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 10:49:47 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Roku's YouTube app doesn't seem to have this ability. You can't enter the video code in the Search box; among other things, all letters are converted to lowercase.

I did watch the first half or so of the first video, and one thing stood out. I have a feeling you seriously overestimate my math ability (I do have a bachelor's degree, but it's in computer science, although I was only a couple of courses short of getting one in applied mathematics as well - still, my knowledge of things like "group theory" is limited), but I am under the impression that your "secret formula" for calculating the number of partitions where the number of elements > the maximum number of groupings (e.g. the "5 cards, 4 suits" number) is known as the "partition function Q." I am under the impression that there is no closed form method for determining this; if you have one, I suggest that you publish it somewhere and have it reviewed by (other) experts in the field.

I have a feeling the main skepticism in this group is not that you can't calculate these things, but you are comparing mathematical methods against brute force computing methods which tend to be faster. Sure, you can use mathematics to determine whether or not 26,972,593 - 1 is prime (hint: yes, it is), but a computer will get the result much faster.

1) You misread my comment (like everyone does on this forum). I said to type in the URL into your rokus web browser, not the YouTube app since youtube doesn't have a web browser in it.

2) You could be correct about my assumptions :/ That just means your naturally talented at mathematics like me. I also lack a lot of formal math training. What's crazy is I am primarily a self taught mathematician? That's why I doing know how to formally publish (+ most of publishing is taught in pHD courses)

3) If your talking about the internal partitions then your definitely wrong. Watch the second video where I teach how to calculate them by hand, but I never do teach any equations;)

4) Nobody said you can't calculate these things, it's just that it is extremely difficult & you will need my theorem to make the program. I never said doing it by hand was faster than brute force, but brute force alone will not get you the answers!!! My theorem is actually incredibly difficult to do by hand & it actually lends itself as a better computer program than a tool for use humans!
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 10th, 2020 at 10:56:23 AM permalink

1) You misread my comment (like everyone does on this forum). I said to type in the URL into your rokus web browser, not the YouTube app since youtube doesn't have a web browser in it.

2) You could be correct about my assumptions :/ That just means your naturally talented at mathematics like me. I also lack a lot of formal math training. What's crazy is I am primarily a self taught mathematician? That's why I doing know how to formally publish (+ most of publishing is taught in pHD courses)

3) If your talking about the internal particians then your definitely wrong. Watch the second video where I teach how to calculate them by hand, but I never do teach any equations;)

4) Nobody said you can't calculate these things, it's just that it is extremely difficult & you will need my theorum to make the program. I never said doing it by hand was faster than brute force, but brute force alone will not get you the answers!!! My theorum is actually incredibly difficult to do by hand & it actually lends itself as a better computer program than a tool for use humans!

I’m not a mathematician or a programmer. I don’t see how “brute force alone will not get you the answers!!!”

1) You define the deck characteristics (rank, suit, color).
2) You define the hand categories.
3) You deal all possible hands and categorize them to one or more hands.
4) You count the number of hands in each category. For hands that fall into multiple categories you count them in all permutations and then pick the permutation that satisfies the rule that such hands fall into the category where the smallest number of other possible hands fall into that category.

Lots of combinations but definitely finite. Seems like a p not an np problem.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
December 10th, 2020 at 11:01:24 AM permalink

3) If your talking about the internal partitions then your definitely wrong. Watch the second video where I teach how to calculate them by hand, but I never do teach any equations;)

No, I was not thinking about the internal partitions; I was talking about where, early in the first video, you say that there are 6 ways to partition 5 cards among 4 suits - you say that there is a formula of some sort, but you don't explain what it is. (This is right after you say that you count the number of ways to partition 5 cards among 13 ranks "normally" since 13 >= 5, but you need a special method for the suits since 4 <= 5.) It's at about the 18:00 point in the video.
Mental
Mental
Thanked by
CrystalMath
December 10th, 2020 at 11:04:37 AM permalink
I finished coding all hand down through the 'Suited 2-Tone' hand. I am more than half way done.

This last one took a bit of time because I didn't understand your definition at first. Maybe I still don't understand it. Your naming convention makes little sense to me because you define Flush as "4|5 cards with the same suit", yet the example for 'Suited 2-Tone' obviously has two cards each of two different suits (2+2).

Does 'Suited 2-Tone' mean any hand with exactly 2+2 suits, 2+2 ranks, and 2+2 colors? With this definition, I get 4800 combinations easily. Based on your examples for 'Suited 2-Tone', I originally used a more restrictive definition at first and I found fewer combos.

My program is only using 150Mb of memory and it is already built to handle 4 or 5-card hands.

It only took me 5 minutes to code 'Suited 2-Tone' as exactly 2+2 suits, 2+2 ranks, and 2+2 colors once I guessed that was what you meant. If the definition is something different, I am sure it can be fixed even more quickly. I spend more time trying to understand your obtuse and inconsistent nomenclature than I do coding.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 11:18:33 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

3) If your talking about the internal particians then your definitely wrong. Watch the second video where I teach how to calculate them by hand, but I never do teach any equations;)

4) Nobody said you can't calculate these things, it's just that it is extremely difficult & you will need my theorum to make the program. I never said doing it by hand was faster than brute force, but brute force alone will not get you the answers!!! My theorum is actually incredibly difficult to do by hand & it actually lends itself as a better computer program than a tool for use humans!

I’m not a mathematician or a programmer. I don’t see how “brute force alone will not get you the answers!!!”

4) You count the number of hands in each category. For hands that fall into multiple categories you count them in all permutations and then pick the permutation that satisfies the rule that such hands fall into the category where the smallest number of other possible hands fall into that category.

Brute force alone can only provide the total sum of all hands that potentially could be the hands ranking instead of just the dominate hand ranking which the question asks for.

For example, the brute force method would state that almost 80% of the hands are going to have a disjointed pair in them! But there is no way that 80% of the hands are going to be ranked as disjointed pair because the odds state that there is more than 50% chance that there is another hand rank within those 80% hands & that hand rank is going to dominate the disjointed pairs ranking!

The fact that you have to ask this question shows me your a noob when it comes to combinatorics.
unJon
unJon
December 10th, 2020 at 11:20:52 AM permalink

Brute force alone can only provide the total sum of all hands that potentially could be the hands ranking instead of just the dominate hand ranking which the question asks for.

For example, the brute force method would state that almost 80% of the hands are going to have a disjointed pair in them! But there is no way that 80% of the hands are going to be ranked as disjointed pair because the odds state that there is more than 50% chance that there is another hand rank within those 80% hands & that hand rank is going to dominate the disjointed pairs ranking!

The fact that you have to ask this question shows me your a noob when it comes to combinatorics.

Thanks for the personal insult. And for not reading my step 4 which clearly does the thing you say cannot be done by brute force. 🙄
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 11:21:14 AM permalink

No, I was not thinking about the internal partitions; I was talking about where, early in the first video, you say that there are 6 ways to partition 5 cards among 4 suits - you say that there is a formula of some sort, but you don't explain what it is. (This is right after you say that you count the number of ways to partition 5 cards among 13 ranks "normally" since 13 >= 5, but you need a special method for the suits since 4 <= 5.) It's at about the 18:00 point in the video.

I know what your talking about! And yes there is are multiple ways to calculate those values also!!! I also have a demonstration were I also do that calculation by hand.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 11:22:19 AM permalink

Thanks for the personal insult. And for not reading my step 4 which clearly does the thing you say cannot be done by brute force. 🙄

I'm confused, my opinion of your combinatorics abilities is a personal insult???
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 11:24:23 AM permalink

I'm confused, my opinion of your combinatorics abilities is a personal insult???
unJon
unJon
December 10th, 2020 at 11:30:01 AM permalink

You failed to read step 4 again. 😂
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 10th, 2020 at 11:38:30 AM permalink

Calling a noob was the personal insult, but it's so minor that I'll just remind you that other moderators might have suspended you for that, just as I might next time.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 11:45:03 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Calling a noob was the personal insult, but it's so minor that I'll just remind you that other moderators might have suspended you for that, just as I might next time.

I'd think having the world's greatest mathlete grace us with his presence is worth overlooking a few rules violations. How often are we graced with such a person?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
rdw4potusOnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 11:57:29 AM permalink

Oh come on. Explain to me how KID is considered a personal insult, but not Noob?

I have never complained about the mod team, but this has happened so many times now it’s hard to call out.

This happens every single time a narcissist, troll, delusional system gambler, or whatever term you want to use for people who come to the forum with the sole intention of causing disruption.

For whatever reason the troll causing the disruption is ALWAYS held to a lower standard by the mods than long time members.

When a long time member calls a troll a troll (or a noob, or even just KID!) the person inevitably complains to get the long time member banned. Yet it never happens the other way around.

The moderation policies here create the perfect environment for trolls to come in and get 1/2 the forums valuable posters banned in a single thread.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 12:42:18 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Oh come on. Explain to me how KID is considered a personal insult, but not Noob?

I have never complained about the mod team, but this has happened so many times now it’s hard to call out.

This happens every single time a narcissist, troll, delusional system gambler, or whatever term you want to use for people who come to the forum with the sole intention of causing disruption.

For whatever reason the troll causing the disruption is ALWAYS held to a lower standard by the mods than long time members.

When a long time member calls a troll a troll (or a noob, or even just KID!) the person inevitably complains to get the long time member banned. Yet it never happens the other way around.

The moderation policies here create the perfect environment for trolls to come in and get 1/2 the forums valuable posters banned in a single thread.

Thank you for the feedback. It's appreciated. I'm happy to reply.
First off, it may be a language or cultural difference, but I see 'noob' as less insulting than 'kid'
Secondly, I tend to be tolerant of minor rule infractions from members who have no recent record of rule breaking, preferring to issue an initial warning.
Thirdly, It's no secret that Wizard imposes penalties for 'personal insult' far more readily and sternly than I do. I don't pre-qualify my rulings with him and he allows me discretion. We discuss policy frankly from time to time and generally agree, but his is the casting vote.
And I'm never bothered if he over-rules me, because it's his forum and his prerogative.

I try to be consistent in my rulings and if you see me suspending for the insult 'kid' then please remind me of my own inconsistency. That my rulings might differ to Wizards is a worthy topic for discussion in the appropriate thread.

I truly believe that we should moderate in moderation to maintain an orderly and interesting forum. Less is more. So long as we keep an orderly and civil forum, I'll always tend to be liberal, not draconian in my rulings.

But it's also no secret that my patience and tolerance are not without limits. USPapergames has had one warning from me. If he chooses to waste that warning, he can expect firm treatment for his next offence.

"When a long time member calls a troll a troll (or a noob, or even just KID!) "..... Then he should have known better.

Please take discussions of moderation policies to the correct thread. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/25231-discussion-ii-about-the-suspension-list/362/#post780653

If members are disatisfied with my rulings, or with those of wizard, then he and I are open to feedback by PM.

I'm flagging this post for his attention. Let us see.
Last edited by: OnceDear on Dec 10, 2020
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:04:03 PM permalink

Thank you for the feedback. It's appreciated. I'm happy to reply.
First off, it may be a language or cultural difference, but I see 'noob' as less insulting than 'kid'
Secondly, I tend to be tolerant of minor rule infractions from members who have no recent record of rule breaking, preferring to issue an initial warning.
Thirdly, It's no secret that Wizard imposes penalties for 'personal insult' far more readily and sternly than I do. I don't pre-qualify my rulings with him and he allows me discretion. We discuss policy frankly from time to time and generally agree, but his is the casting vote.
And I'm never bothered if he over-rules me, because it's his forum and his prerogative.

I try to be consistent in my rulings and if you see me suspending for the insult 'kid' then please remind me of my own inconsistency. That my rulings might differ to Wizards is a worthy topic for discussion in the appropriate thread.

I truly believe that we should moderate in moderation to maintain an orderly and interesting forum. Less is more. So long as we keep an orderly and civil forum, I'll always tend to be liberal, not draconian in my rulings.

But it's also no secret that my patience and tolerance are not without limits. USPapergames has had one warning from me. If he chooses to waste that warning, he can expect firm treatment for his next offence.

"When a long time member calls a troll a troll (or a noob, or even just KID!) "..... Then he should have known better.

Please take discussions of moderation policies to the correct thread. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/5288-suspension-list/#post71165

If members are disatisfied with my rulings, or with those of wizard, then he and I are open to feedback by PM.

I'm flagging this post for his attention. Let us see.

I feel like I have learned something from this experience but I need more clarification on the rules since I truly don't understand them fully. Was the issue specifically to the use of the word "noob"? If I had said that unJon was a beginner at combinatorics, would that have been better?

I just want to make something very clear, because of my LPD disability I lack a lot of computational contexts when it comes to word choices. I choose words based on their definitions alone, which is why I think it's so difficult for people to understand me even though the words I'm using do describe by definition the message I'm trying to convey.

That being sad I'm willing to accept any punishment by anyone WoV member (not just the admins).
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:07:42 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'd think having the world's greatest mathlete grace us with his presence is worth overlooking a few rules violations. How often are we graced with such a person?

I'm going to assume this is just sarcasm since I never said I was the best mathematician here, just the combo king is all.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:13:05 PM permalink

unJon if you feel that I purposefully meant to insult you & want to punish me I will accept your terms of punishment (as long as they are reasonable).
unJon
unJon
December 10th, 2020 at 1:16:24 PM permalink

unJon if you feel that I purposefully meant to insult you & want to punish me I will accept your terms of punishment (as long as they are reasonable).

I’d like your punishment to be to go read my step 4 and explain without arrogance why a brute force method cannot handle it.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:28:49 PM permalink
Could I have used the word novice instead? Or is that also an insult & please forgive my ignorance if it is.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 1:33:44 PM permalink

I feel like I have learned something from this experience but I need more clarification on the rules since I truly don't understand them fully. Was the issue specifically to the use of the word "noob"? If I had said that unJon was a beginner at combinatorics, would that have been better?

I just want to make something very clear, because of my LPD disability I lack a lot of computational contexts when it comes to word choices. I choose words based on their definitions alone, which is why I think it's so difficult for people to understand me even though the words I'm using do describe by definition the message I'm trying to convey.

That being sad I'm willing to accept any punishment by anyone WoV member (not just the admins).

Hi, USPG.
Good post.
The rules are here. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/info/rules/2-forum-rules/#post37215
Check out rule 1 and the first sentence of rule 12. Also note the footnote where we moderators are given discretion.
In my judgement, your use of the term 'noob' fell somewhere between being disrespectful and being insulting. I'm satisfied it was not meant to be an outright insult.
If in doubt, take the line that you can politely attack the post, but never attack the member, but better yet, find common ground where someone is giving you the help that you asked for, or taking up your challenge.

In previous posts, a member was suspended for calling another member a 'kid', so that sets the bar at the level of what counts as an insult. But, of course that is subjective. Why risk getting suspended in the middle of an interesting debate?

Unjon has gracefully suggested your penalty. Re-read where he describes the appropriate algorithm, which you seem to have overlooked when you replied to him
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:37:05 PM permalink
Or are all low classified terms illegal to use, so for example I could even say unJon is a beginner because beginner is a low classification term? So instead the correct way to say it would be that unJon is the opposite of an expert when it comes to combinatorics? This just sounds terribly weird word usage but I'll learn to change my word choices whoever way the form feels I should. Buy 1st someone needs to clarify this because I still can't figure out what is wrong with using the word noob.

Please classify respectfully for me 🙏
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 1:37:22 PM permalink

Could I have used the word novice instead? Or is that also an insult & please forgive my ignorance if it is.

Novice would have been an adjective describing the poster. You would not reasonably call a PHD, or an interviewing potential employer a novice and then expect his praise, help or respect. Far better to say that you found his post lacking in some way and then argue the merit of that post..
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:40:02 PM permalink
Would using the word beginner be considered disrespectful?

How about novice?

What about the words "opposite of an expert"?
Mental
Mental
December 10th, 2020 at 1:41:10 PM permalink

Now USpapergames is not only opining about things where he is clueless, but he is insulting unJon by calling him a noob when unJon is basically correct. Does the Moderator have an opinion on this matter?

My method is not very brutish, but it just classifying, resolving overlaps, and printing out the results. USpapergames claims that this is a hard problem barely solvable by IBM scientists in a month. I just knocked off the 2_Tone hand in 10 minutes of programming. Now that I have the hang of this, things are going more quickly. USpapergames claimed that things got harder as I went down his list of 4-card hands, but he is wrong again.

I have already detected and resolved 6280 overlaps, or 'dominated hands' in his parlance. There will be more overlaps towards the bottom of the list, but they are easily resolved.

My algorithm continues to reproduce his numbers for every hand that I have looked at. I have almost completed his challenge (about two thirds done), and I doubt that it gets much harder from here .

Su_Double 2700 0.0688560% 0.0688560% 1452
Dblt_Flush 3600 0.0918080% 0.0918080% 1089
Suited_2T 4800 0.1224107% 0.1224107% 817
Co_Triplet 9600 0.2448214% 0.2448214% 408
Su_Triplet 19000 0.4845425% 0.4845425% 206
2_Tone 27600 0.7038617% 0.7038617% 142
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:44:28 PM permalink

Novice would have been an adjective describing the poster. You would not reasonably call a PHD, or an interviewing potential employer a novice and then expect his praise, help or respect. Far better to say that you found his post lacking in some way and then argue the merit of that post..

Please, this makes no sense to me. Can I express my opinion about someone's skills or not? Am I going to get suspended for telling someone I think their skills are exceptional? What about moderate? Where do you draw the line??? Please considered redefining the rules for clarity.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 1:50:13 PM permalink
Quote: Mental

Now USpapergames is not only opining about things where he is clueless, but he is insulting unJon by calling him a noob when unJon is basically correct. Does the Moderator have an opinion on this matter?

My method is not very brutish, but it just classifying, resolving overlaps, and printing out the results. USpapergames claims that this is a hard problem barely solvable by IBM scientists in a month. I just knocked off the 2_Tone hand in 10 minutes of programming. Now that I have the hang of this, things are going more quickly. USpapergames claimed that things got harder as I went down his list of 4-card hands, but he is wrong again.

I have already detected and resolved 6280 overlaps, or 'dominated hands' in his parlance. There will be more overlaps towards the bottom of the list, but they are easily resolved.

My algorithm continues to reproduce his numbers for every hand that I have looked at. I have almost completed his challenge (about two thirds done), and I doubt that it gets much harder from here .

Su_Double 2700 0.0688560% 0.0688560% 1452
Dblt_Flush 3600 0.0918080% 0.0918080% 1089
Suited_2T 4800 0.1224107% 0.1224107% 817
Co_Triplet 9600 0.2448214% 0.2448214% 408
Su_Triplet 19000 0.4845425% 0.4845425% 206
2_Tone 27600 0.7038617% 0.7038617% 142

Did you read my previous comment?

I said I don't know how difficult solving 4 card probabilities are from a computer programming perspective. I already solved the answers by hand before Jim & ever started working on the project together so there was never any point in trying to program the 4 card probabilities.

2ndly, you already have the hand ranking order so no duh your program can resolve the overlaps lol.

3rdly, I don't believe you about how little time your spending on this. If it's that easy produce the rest of the results in the next hour!
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 1:58:41 PM permalink

Please, this makes no sense to me. Can I express my opinion about someone's skills or not? Am I going to get suspended for telling someone I think their skills are exceptional? What about moderate? Where do you draw the line??? Please considered redefining the rules for clarity.

Thank you for your suggestion. It's not for a humble forum moderator to define simple rules of courtesy. You re asked to be courteous and whether you are or not will be signalled by warnings or suspensions, or no action. Call it a feedback system. The rules do not need reworking and nor will they be.
Just think before you give your opinion of a poster: "Would I say this to wizard's face in his own front room in front of his family and friends? Would I then be welcome?"
USpapergames
USpapergames
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 2:06:16 PM permalink

Thank you for your suggestion. It's not for a humble forum moderator to define simple rules of courtesy. You re asked to be courteous and whether you are or not will be signalled by warnings or suspensions, or no action. Call it a feedback system. The rules do not need reworking and nor will they be.
Just think before you give your opinion of a poster: "Would I say this to wizard's face in his own front room in front of his family and friends? Would I then be welcome?"

Wow, that's tough because my opinion of someone else isn't to reflect my thoughts on the Wizard. I'll do my best & definitely listen to the warning signs. I might have a hard time understanding this rule completely but I'm also a quick learner so I won't repeat the same mistakes. The problem is I'm going to have to make mistakes first, before I can be aware that they are mistakes :/
USpapergames
USpapergames
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 2:15:58 PM permalink

Wait a second, this feels like a double standard against me. Everyone can make fun of me yet I can't have an opinion on someone else math skills??? Do I need to remind you all the terrible things that have been said to me? I don't even know why I still bother with forum when almost everyone has said something worse than their opinion I my math skills!!!!!!!!
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 2:19:00 PM permalink

Clearly he is giving his opinion & calling me not an expert!!! Shouldn't he get a warning? What is different about this than what I did???
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 2:19:51 PM permalink

Or are all low classified terms illegal to use, so for example I could even say unJon is a beginner because beginner is a low classification term? So instead the correct way to say it would be that unJon is the opposite of an expert when it comes to combinatorics? This just sounds terribly weird word usage but I'll learn to change my word choices whoever way the form feels I should. Buy 1st someone needs to clarify this because I still can't figure out what is wrong with using the word noob.

Please classify respectfully for me 🙏

OnceDear, you are being trolled.

US... if you want to stay and be a productive member here, just move on from this. Discuss your problem, discuss the replies.

It seems to me that you need to learn how to interact with people of a variety of different educations, abilities, etc...

If a potential employer would read your posts in this thread you would have a ZERO percent chance of getting that job you want? Can you see why?
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 2:23:43 PM permalink

Seriously, you aren't this message board's leading expert in combinatorial statistics...

Here is another classic example of someone giving me their opinion of my my skills!!!! How is this any different than what your giving me a warning for???
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 2:26:03 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

US... if you want to stay and be a productive member here, just move on from this. Discuss your problem, discuss the replies.

It seems to me that you need to learn how to interact with people of a variety of different educations, abilities, etc...

If a potential employer would read your posts in this thread you would have a ZERO percent chance of getting that job you want? Can you see why?

I think you should get a warning for saying I'm trolling when I'm asking legitimate questions! Btw when I do finally get the reputation I deserve it will be you who won't be able to find work for ridiculing me research.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 2:29:20 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Fine example. If SOOPOO had called USPG a troll, that would have been penalised. He didn't: He described his opinion of a situation. I'll grant you it's subtle.

Quote:

I tend to agree.

If you call your host or interviewer a fool, You "go to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200"

If you say that you think what your host or interviewer said was foolish, you probably get a pass, but not much more.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 2:37:13 PM permalink

Fine example. If SOOPOO had called USPG a troll, that would have been penalised. He didn't: He described his opinion of a situation. I'll grant you it's subtle.

I tend to agree.

If you call your host or interviewer a fool, You "go to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200"

If you say that you think what your host or interviewer said was foolish, you probably get a pass, but not much more.

Now I'm even more confused 😖...saying someone is trolling is calling someone a troll. You can't troll without being a troll, your not making any sense. Your basically saying I can telling someone here that they are bitching but I can't call them a bit**?

So I could have said that unJon has noobish combinatoric skills or that his combinatoric skills are noobish?

It almost feels like the rules are being made up as we go along.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Thanked by
MentalCrystalMath
December 10th, 2020 at 2:42:26 PM permalink

Here is another classic example of someone giving me their opinion of my my skills!!!! How is this any different than what your giving me a warning for???

I don't think you're a noob. I just think wiz and Eliot and crystal and mental and Gordon and Don and Stacy and others are better than you seem to be.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 2:46:09 PM permalink

I don't think you're a noob. I just think wiz and Eliot and crystal and mental and Gordon and Don and Stacy and others are better than you seem to be.

Ok, but what is the difference? You're still giving an opinion about my skill set??? It's the same thing!!!

You're going to tell me that I can't be insulted just as much from your comment as my comment? I'm the person claiming to be the expert so when you say something like that to me you might as well call me a noob!

In fact your comment is worse than mine! Because unJon probably doesn't have any desire to be good an combinatorics, so why does it even matter if I call him a noob???
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Thanked by
SOOPOO
December 10th, 2020 at 2:49:15 PM permalink

Ok, but what is the difference? Your still giving an opinion about my skill set??? It's the same thing!!!

Your going to tell me that I cant be insulted just as much from your comment as my comment? I'm the person claiming to be the expert so when you say something like that to me you might as well call me a noob!

Saying "you are a terrible baseball player" is not remotely the same thing as saying "you play baseball worse than Willie Mays"
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 2:50:40 PM permalink

Saying "you are a terrible baseball player" is not remotely the same thing as saying "you play baseball worse than Willie Mays"

Your wrong, because context matters, you say that to Babe Ruth & he'd get upset with you really fast and wonder who the hell Williie Mays was. Your dead wrong!

In fact your so wrong that I'm willing to bet that unJon didn't cry over my comment like I did to yours!

If your going to say you can't say comments where your bad at something than I think ALL personal opinionated comments need to get banned right now!
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 10th, 2020 at 3:02:26 PM permalink

Now I'm even more confused 😖...saying someone is trolling is calling someone a troll. You can't troll without being a troll, your not making any sense. Your basically saying I can telling someone here that they are bitching but I can't call them a bit**?

So I could have said that unJon has noobish combinatoric skills or that his combinatoric skills are noobish?

It almost feels like the rules are being made up as we go along.

For someone who DIDN'T get suspended for calling another player a 'noob', you seem to be doing a lot of word wrangling. If I perceive that SooPoo was on the ball, I will not be explaining my next suspension in finely crafted Queen's English.
USpapergames
USpapergames
December 10th, 2020 at 3:14:53 PM permalink

For someone who DIDN'T get suspended for calling another player a 'noob', you seem to be doing a lot of word wrangling. If I perceive that SooPoo was on the ball, I will not be explaining my next suspension in finely crafted Queen's English.

I don't know what to say. I guess I will just voluntarily remove myself from this site if people are allowed to give their opinions about me but I will be punished for giving my opinion about them. I'm going to leave this forum with saying 1 final message regarding who I am as an individual. I just need some time to write it.

I promise I am not trolling, I'm just upset that people can say terrible things to me & nobody will do anything about it. I know for a fact I was just called a troll and now admin is thinking I'm a troll & I don't know a solution to stop someone from thinking that other than to remove myself from the site completely. Good bye.
  • Jump to: