Thread Rating:

TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 2
November 11th, 2020 at 3:32:13 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I’m pretty sure stage 4 pancreatic cancer is pretty much unsurvivable, but he obviously handled it with a huge amount of strength and dignity right up until his death.

Despite appearances, it was obvious how sick he really was when in one of his final interviews, he talked about writhing in pain to the point of tears on his dressing room floor between tapings.

I know he discussed pain issues...but in the last interview I saw in July 2020, he spoke of feeling great. I know it’s not really survivable, but whatever transpired between July and now, we never heard anything. He was giving regular updates. The fact that he was taping right up until late October suggests to me that something triggered a very fast turn for the worse.

From July 2020....

“I am doing well. I have been continuing my treatment and it is paying off, though it does fatigue me a great deal. My numbers are good. I am feeling great.”
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 21
November 23rd, 2020 at 6:12:42 PM permalink
Jeopardy! announced today that they will have a series of "guest hosts" in order to resume taping. First up is Ken Jennings, to no surprise to anyone. No other hosts announced at this time.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
Thanks for this post from:
TDVegas
November 23rd, 2020 at 7:11:03 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

I know he discussed pain issues...but in the last interview I saw in July 2020, he spoke of feeling great. I know it’s not really survivable, but whatever transpired between July and now, we never heard anything. He was giving regular updates. The fact that he was taping right up until late October suggests to me that something triggered a very fast turn for the worse.

From July 2020....

“I am doing well. I have been continuing my treatment and it is paying off, though it does fatigue me a great deal. My numbers are good. I am feeling great.”

If you took a screenshot of him at the podium from now until the last day, we could probably see a noticeable decline. Though I'm sure he has good makeup people working on him.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 41
January 4th, 2021 at 8:30:39 AM permalink
This is the last week of Trebek episodes. Tonight he evidently gives a stirring speech on the tough times we live in and how we need to come together and support each other.

I assume Jennings episodes begin on the 11th.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 41
April 7th, 2021 at 6:42:12 PM permalink

If you haven't seen NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers as a Jeopardy! host, you might want to check him out. He's surprisingly good. A tad bland perhaps but I think this can be chalked up to rookie jitters. Fans are calling him "charming", "handsome", and "funny" so we'll see how he settles into the role as his time progresses.

After only two episodes, I consider him a front runner (along with Ken Jennings). News personality Katie Couric, and Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards would make up the middle tier. (While some people consider Richards to be excellent, it isn't clear if he--a former game show host himself--wants the job or was simply holding the fort while the guest host format was finalized.) Dr. Oz drops to long shot status and is probably a sucker bet no matter what odds are given.

Unlike other hosts, Rodgers isn't coy about saying flat out he wants to be Trebek's permanent replacement, and he does have a few aces up his sleeve. Like Jennings and Richards, he's already part of the Jeopardy! family having won the celebrity tournament back in 2015. He's also one of the few scheduled hosts that doesn't bring any baggage to the job: no crass tweets to apologize for, no outspoken political views that might alienate audience members, no embarrassing lawsuits the show might have to deal with et al.

After Rodgers' stint, CNN's Anderson Cooper will begin a hosting run. Cooper is also a member of the Jeopardy! family via a celebrity tournament (although he was utterly dominated by, of all people, Cheech Marin.)

Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
April 7th, 2021 at 6:52:49 PM permalink
I think all the guest hosts did a fine job and I hate to rank them. I've only seen Aaron's first show where he seemed a bit nervous to me, but I don't count that against him. It should be a huge honor to fill in Alex's shoes and I would be nervous too.

I am looking forward to Anderson's run. As to Cheech Marin, that man is smart. Don't judge him by his role in Cheech & Chong.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
April 8th, 2021 at 7:54:51 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think all the guest hosts did a fine job and I hate to rank them. I've only seen Aaron's first show where he seemed a bit nervous to me, but I don't count that against him. It should be a huge honor to fill in Alex's shoes and I would be nervous too.

I am looking forward to Anderson's run. As to Cheech Marin, that man is smart. Don't judge him by his role in Cheech & Chong.

I admire his work as the voice of Buck on Married With Children.
Order from chaos
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
April 8th, 2021 at 9:11:50 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I admire his work as the voice of Buck on Married With Children.

I did not know that!

I forgot to add that Monday's Final Jeopardy was a tricky one. I must confess it fooled me. Here it is, and I'm paraphrasing:

Category: 20th century Americans
Clue: This person made his first decisions as president from a cabin with the shades drawn.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 70
April 8th, 2021 at 1:44:59 PM permalink
The clue sounds like there's one obvious possibility that it must be a trick answer to:

Who is Theodore Roosevelt?

"with the shades drawn" must have a deeper meaning.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
April 8th, 2021 at 2:56:15 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

The clue sounds like there's one obvious possibility that it must be a trick answer to:

Who is Theodore Roosevelt?

"with the shades drawn" must have a deeper meaning.

"Who was Theodore Roosevelt?" was my guess, too. I know he was visiting Mt. Marcy in the Adirondacks at the time and would have been staying in a cabin.

But I saw Final Jeopardy and learned it was a different vice president in a different cabin.

• Jump to: