Thread Rating:

Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 39
April 9th, 2021 at 4:28:26 PM permalink
I like the TV one. It's a very well written clue. At first glance it appears impossible to answer. (Who in the hell watches the Daytime Emmys?) But, if you think about it, you're actually given a lot of information.

You know from the category that the person is a daytime TV personality. You know from the clue that the person is a he. You know he had a prestigious career to receive such an accolade. Still, this could be anyone from an Al Roker type on the morning news, to a soap opera star, to a Bob Barker type game show host.

The quote, however, seems to come from a gentle soul. This at least suggests a children's TV show. But which one? Buffalo Bob Smith on Howdy Doody? LeVar Burton (who's now lobbying to be added to the Jeopardy! guest host list) on Reading Rainbow? Bob Keeshan on Captain Kangaroo perhaps? It's still a guess.

Except that....

Lock down pop culture to the rescue! You may have noticed last year (while searching for the next thing to watch) that one person who fits the bill had a nostalgia boom including books and documentaries on his life. There was also a full-blown Hollywood film starring Tom Hanks in which he says to another character pretty much the same quote. Ding ding ding!!!

Now, can you ride that train of thought and still have five seconds left to write down the person's name in the form of a question?
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Gialmere
Gialmere
April 23rd, 2021 at 11:40:14 PM permalink
Well, Anderson Cooper is also getting good reviews from fans. I find him to be a bit dry, but what do I know? Back in the day I was doubtful that Alex Trebek could fill Art Fleming's shoes. At any rate, it seems doubtful that Cooper will give up his king of the hill status at CNN to become a quiz show host but ... stranger things have happened.

In other news, the campaign to let LeVar Burton join in has been successful. He and a few others have been added to the parade of 2021 guest hosts. Here is the current list...

Ken Jennings -- Complete
Mike Richards -- Complete
Katie Couric -- Complete
Dr. Mehmet Oz -- Complete
Aaron Rodgers -- Complete
Anderson Cooper -- In Progress
Bill Whitaker -- “60 Minutes” Correspondent
Buzzy Cohen -- This former Jep champ will host the Tournament of Champions
Mayim Bialik -- Neuroscientist, "Blossom", "The Big Bang Theory", "Call Me Kat"
Savannah Guthrie -- NBC's "Today" show Co-Anchor
Dr. Sanjay Gupta -- Neurosurgeon, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent
George Stephanopoulos -- ABC’s “Good Morning America” Co-Anchor
Robin Roberts -- ABC’s “Good Morning America” Co-Anchor
LeVar Burton -- "Roots", "Star Trek: TNG", "Reading Rainbow"
David Faber -- Co-host of CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street”
Joe Buck -- Fox Sportscaster

Place your bets.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1372
April 24th, 2021 at 5:33:00 AM permalink
I'm looking forward to Mayim Bialik.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
April 24th, 2021 at 8:39:11 AM permalink
I am rooting for David Faber although I think they will want a bigger name as host.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
April 24th, 2021 at 11:18:06 AM permalink
I would love to see LeVar Burton become the permanent host
Gialmere
Gialmere
April 27th, 2021 at 4:13:02 PM permalink
Here's yesterday's odds for "Next Jeopardy! Host". Punters are currently jumping on the LeVar Burton bandwagon...

LeVar Burton +150
Ken Jennings +250
Aaron Rodgers +500
Mike Richards +1000
Alex Faust +1200
Mayim Bialik +1400
Anderson Cooper +1800
Bill Whitaker +2000
Sanjay Gupta +2000
Savannah Guthrie +3000

• Jump to: