Thread Rating:

JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
April 8th, 2021 at 3:41:51 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I did not know that!

I forgot to add that Monday's Final Jeopardy was a tricky one. I must confess it fooled me. Here it is, and I'm paraphrasing:

Category: 20th century Americans
Clue: This person made his first decisions as president from a cabin with the shades drawn.

Didn’t get it right either. I’m sure Rodgers appreciated a well executed misdirection play, but I thought it was kinda cheap.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
April 8th, 2021 at 4:13:42 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

Didn’t get it right either. I’m sure Rodgers appreciated a well executed misdirection play, but I thought it was kinda cheap.

I groaned at the time, as Jeopardy usually doesn't play tricks like this. However, later I thought it was my bad for interpreting the question the way I did.

On a related topic, is it just me or does it seem like there are more Daily Doubles at the top of the board now? During Alex's reign, they were almost always on the bottom two rows.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 46
April 8th, 2021 at 4:50:22 PM permalink

I groaned at the time, as Jeopardy usually doesn't play tricks like this. However, later I thought it was my bad for interpreting the question the way I did.

On a related topic, is it just me or does it seem like there are more Daily Doubles at the top of the board now? During Alex's reign, they were almost always on the bottom two rows.

Yes I think they are mixing up the daily doubles more.
It Seems that Aaron Rodgers is getting more comfortable since his first episode.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 70
April 8th, 2021 at 5:20:49 PM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

"Who was Theodore Roosevelt?" was my guess, too. I know he was visiting Mt. Marcy in the Adirondacks at the time and would have been staying in a cabin.

But I saw Final Jeopardy and learned it was a different vice president in a different cabin.

I looked it up.

Cabin. As in a plane cabin.

Cheap, indeed.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
April 8th, 2021 at 6:56:11 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I looked it up.

Cabin. As in a plane cabin.

Cheap, indeed.

The clue also described the cabin as sweltering which further throws you off the trail. Why would you expect Air Force One to be sweltering?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 8th, 2021 at 7:58:43 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

The clue also described the cabin as sweltering which further throws you off the trail. Why would you expect Air Force One to be sweltering?

I forgot about the "sweltering" part. You would think Air Force I has good air conditioning. Here is the exact wording:

Quote: Jeopardy

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A biography of him: "In a sweltering, dimly lit cabin, its window shades closed… his first presidential decisions were made"

Also, this was the April 6 show. I think they didn't have a show on Monday because of the NCAA championship game.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
April 9th, 2021 at 6:19:18 AM permalink
Actually, they did show Jeopardy last Monday, at least on the East Coast where there was no time conflict with the Championship Game. It was Rodgers' first as host. Yes, he did appear very nervous, but I think he is doing better as the week goes on.

The Final Jeopardy! for Monday, April 5:

Category: Daytime TV Personalities
Clue: Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, he said, “Just take… 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are”

Mrs. Joeman got this one; I did not.

I do not think it was coincidence that the correct FJ answer occurred on this host's first show!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
April 9th, 2021 at 6:30:58 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Category: Daytime TV Personalities
Clue: Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, he said, “Just take… 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are”

My hero -- Fred Rogers
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
April 9th, 2021 at 8:21:54 AM permalink

My hero -- Fred Rogers

Correct!

a beautiful day in the neighborhood!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
April 9th, 2021 at 9:26:57 AM permalink

Because it was a quote from a biography, using the word “cabin” from the biography wasn’t tricky, if that was written at the time.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: