Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1248
April 11th, 2019 at 6:52:21 AM permalink
This thread has just been split off from Jeopardy Online Test 2019.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
April 11th, 2019 at 6:57:35 AM permalink
Thanks, Wiz!

Only $54K last night. His average is slipping. ;) Although, kudos to James as he busted out on the first Daily Double and still made it a runaway victory.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1248
Thanks for this post from:
SkittleCar1
April 11th, 2019 at 7:28:33 AM permalink
James is a perfect example of proper Jeopardy strategy. I may write an article about it. This guy is really good.

Anyone care to make a friendly wager how long he lasts? Just to throw out a number, I predict he makes it through April 26 at least. I absolutely promise I have no inside information.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 14
April 11th, 2019 at 7:37:45 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

James is a perfect example of proper Jeopardy strategy. I may write an article about it. This guy is really good.

Anyone care to make a friendly wager how long he lasts? Just to throw out a number, I predict he makes it through April 26 at least. I absolutely promise I have no inside information.

I haven't had a chance to watch him yet, although I have read an article or two on him. I will have to make a note to turn it on tonight. I'll take you up for $20 that he does NOT last until April 26th.

Edit: I have no inside information either. I have seen some VERY strong players in the past, and they all, of course, eventually lose. If this guy is "going crazy" with some of his betting, it may catch up to him soon. April 26th is more than ten shows away. That's a lot of players he has to defeat in the meantime.

I would like to stipulate that next week or the week after isn't interrupted by Teen Week or the Tournament of Champions or anything like that.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
April 11th, 2019 at 8:32:45 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think a better way to look at it is how will he rank in terms of money won. His strategy lends itself to huge wins, but not necessarily longevity. From what I can tell, his ~$300K already puts him 5th on the all-time list** behind David Madden, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson & Ken Jennings.

By my count, there are 12 episodes between now & April 26, inclusive. I would wager $20 that he is beaten before winning the next 12 episodes. I also have no knowledge of how he ended up doing.

I do think he will make it to #2 on the all-time money list** when all is said & done. I wonder if there is a parlay opportunity here. ;)

** -- Not including tournament winnings, just regular game winnings.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 18
April 11th, 2019 at 9:31:00 AM permalink
I donít think he will last very long. His betting strategy seems very high risk-high reward.
Lock him up!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 232
April 11th, 2019 at 9:31:46 AM permalink
If you were going against him, and his aggressive betting on daily doubles, what would be the best counter-strategy? The couple times I watched him, it seemed that at least one other player knew the answer, but he was faster on the button. The women got run over the times I watched.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
April 11th, 2019 at 10:44:40 AM permalink
My biggest question about him is, what took him so long to get on Jeopardy? Full disclosure requires me to mention this.

In 2014, he won the Trivia Championship of North America, which is (to my knowledge) the top in-person competition/convention among the elites, including many Jeopardy champions. Alex the poker player goes to it, I think both Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter have competed, lots of others.

But I think he's doing a terrific job, and I'm really enjoying seeing his stuff.

I'll go the over April 26 for $20 if anybody wants the bet.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
April 11th, 2019 at 10:49:05 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

My biggest question about him is, what took him so long to get on Jeopardy? Full disclosure requires me to mention this.

In 2014, he won the Trivia Championship of North America, which is (to my knowledge) the top in-person competition/convention among the elites, including many Jeopardy champions. Alex the poker player goes to it, I think both Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter have competed, lots of others.

But I think he's doing a terrific job, and I'm really enjoying seeing his stuff.

I'll go the over April 26 for $20 if anybody wants the bet.

I will take the under on that.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
April 11th, 2019 at 1:50:22 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I will take the under on that.

If you accept that the program airing April 26, if he loses that night, it's a draw. Any night losing before that, you win. If he wins April 26 (is still on at all in the first place, but must win), I win.

Then It's a bet.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: