1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1231
September 4th, 2018 at 6:26:53 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

1. How large is the area? How do people move around within the area? Is it 100% walking and bicycles?

I got out my BM map, ruler, and calculator to properly answer your question.

The diameter of the camp area is 1.8253 miles.

The area of the "playa," where the put all the art, is 0.5224 square miles.

The camping area is 2.0405 square miles.

This does not count the outlying areas, where you're also allowed to go.

2. Doesn't the blowing sand become an uncomfortable problem for the nudists? (Think bodily crevices). I could imagine sunburn becoming a problem for people who usually are more fully clothed.

Most of the time the wind isn't that bad. I have watched some BM videos that advise women to be careful to cover up properly to not get a UTI (urinary tract infection). This may explain in part why few women to totally nude.

3. How do people eat? Do they all prepare their own food, camping-style?

Whatever they bring in, but probably mostly simple things like protein bars. My camp heated up a nice dinner prepared before every night but otherwise everyone was on his own. I ate a lot of almonds and protein bars.

4. Realistically, what fraction of the people at BM were doing drugs ?

I would estimate about 90%.

5. For $1,200/person what do the organizers provide? What was the total attendance?

My video shows the basic services provided, the most important of which is bathrooms. The total attendance was 80,000. $1,200 was well worth the value you get.

6. Do people attempt to hide inside the RVs and smuggle themselves in to avoid the $1,200 admission fee. At the admission points, does security search the RVs for hidden people?

That probably does happen. Everyone goes through security where they asked me to open all windows and just looked inside. I could have snuck somebody if I wanted to and likely wouldn't have been caught. It probably happens a lot. Once you pass security, nobody asks for a ticket. I've also heard of people sneaking in on foot or bike through the "deep playa" at night.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:52:56 PM permalink
It's time for my next BM video. This one is on my attempt to juggle three pins and ride a unicycle at the same time for one minute. The unicycle seen I bought from ahigh. It was perfect for BM.

Direct: https://youtu.be/XgoAhzmI68g
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 7
September 4th, 2018 at 6:56:23 PM permalink
Mike: Thank you for posting the videos. I look forward to the 747 and others. You're video and stories make me want to go, but alas, because of so many other things I want to do, I'll have to enjoy through your descriptions.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 7:55:44 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

Mike: Thank you for posting the videos. I look forward to the 747 and others. You're video and stories make me want to go, but alas, because of so many other things I want to do, I'll have to enjoy through your descriptions.

Thanks! Here are my planned upcoming BM videos:

747 tour
BM at night (parts 1 and 2)
answers to your questions (keep them coming)
Bicycling advice
General advice, based on my mistakes
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 231
September 4th, 2018 at 10:11:17 PM permalink
Thanks for the video logs and narration Mike! I am enjoying them.

Questions:

I didn’t see anyone in robot costume. Was that only for a a special event?

Interesting that you got scolded for riding up a ramp. Were there many altercations?

Since the structures were made of wood, and occupied by people, did they have fire extinguishers even though they were going to burn?

What would you estimate the white to non-white ratio of attendees was?

How about the male to female to “other” ratio?

What was your take on the “temple”? From an evolutionary standpoint, where do you think this need for organized spiritual expression comes from?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 25
September 5th, 2018 at 2:39:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The unicycle seen I bought from ahigh. It was perfect for BM.

Is the seat some kind of funnel?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 7:21:34 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I didn’t see anyone in robot costume. Was that only for a a special event?

The whole week had a robot theme, however it was mainly evidenced in the art. I'm certainly glad I didn't fuss with a robot outfit.

Interesting that you got scolded for riding up a ramp. Were there many altercations?

I didn't see any. I heard some of the arrests are for fighting, although most are drug related.

Since the structures were made of wood, and occupied by people, did they have fire extinguishers even though they were going to burn?

They probably did, but I didn't notice. A fire extinguisher was something on the official list of stuff to bring.

What would you estimate the white to non-white ratio of attendees was?

20 to 1. The biggest non-white group was Asian.

How about the male to female to “other” ratio?

I'll say 11 to 10.

What was your take on the “temple”? From an evolutionary standpoint, where do you think this need for organized spiritual expression comes from?

That's a big question. When a bear gives birth to cubs, why does she fiercely protect and raise them? Nature must have given us and most animals a kind of magnetism to love our own like ourselves. Even though that bear never took a course in genetics, I think the mother can sense the cubs are an extension of herself. If it were not for this force, new born animals would be abandoned and the species would die out.

That said, what happens to this connecting force when one dies to the survivor? I would say it is still there but there is an empty place where it is directed. That is why we mourn lost loved ones, because that connection still exists to them. Placing pictures and writing letters at the Temple helps to express that love and makes the survivor feel a little bit better.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 5th, 2018 at 10:40:23 AM permalink
Here is my Burning Man video of the day. This one shows the aftermath of the dust storm of Wednesday evening.

Direct: https://youtu.be/YcTP-456sIg
KevinAA
KevinAA
  • Threads: 18
September 5th, 2018 at 11:39:54 AM permalink
Burning Man is one of the last events I would ever want to attend. I wouldn't go if it were free. You would have to pay me a lot of money to go to the desert with a bunch of crazy people.

A few events where Burning Man would be preferable to me:

going to jail
going to bankruptcy court
sleeping on the streets of Reno for 5 nights (4 is a tiebreaker)
visiting Mexico (been there, no need to return, ever)
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 5th, 2018 at 12:13:15 PM permalink
Looks like there’s an unwritten rule: “you can’t have showered within 10 days to enter”.

I still have no idea what burning man even is. I always figured it was a big concert festival like EDC, Coachella, etc., except you camp there. Apparently that’s not what it is.

It’s just a bunch of people going out to the middle of a desert and basically partying and hanging out? Plus different activities (which don’t seem too interesting IMO). And you can’t use money for stuff? I can see why some people would enjoy that....but to me, that would be absolute hell.

What’s the political “scene” like, there? I have a feeling, but just wondering what you thought. Were there any people vocal about politics (rallies / speeches / protests(?) / etc.)? Do you think the demographics are about the same as normal, or disproportionate?

What about age? I’d think most would be under 30 or 35.
# Свободный Натан

• Jump to: