1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 10
Thanks for this post from:
RS
September 4th, 2018 at 12:28:33 AM permalink
The organizers are raping participants. $1200 for that is nuts. I had no idea that there were so few supplied amenities. I'm sure it was a different experience but I can think of a lot better things to do with the resources needed to attend that extravaganza.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
September 4th, 2018 at 1:39:35 AM permalink
This is why china is kicking our ass. Having said that, I'm a sparkle pony.
"You can tell it's real cause it looks so fake" - Musk
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 81
September 4th, 2018 at 6:17:41 AM permalink
I think your video said only water and ice is sold. What happens if you feel under supplied or really need something? Can you leave and come back? Is there anything even somewhat close by to do so?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 29
September 4th, 2018 at 6:44:52 AM permalink
The structures and metalwork "sculptures" look amazing. It looks like a post-apocalyptic Woodstock.

The climate must be so oppressive to a population so used to air conditioning and comfortable engineered environments.

The RV camp looked like a third world shanty-town.

A mixture of extremes, good and bad.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 38
September 4th, 2018 at 7:01:16 AM permalink
While I enjoyed the video and now have a better understanding of the event (I've done some reading on it also), I have no desire to go to the event.

I hope all that do band together next year and give us a great report!!
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
September 4th, 2018 at 7:09:48 AM permalink
I am glad you had fun. Between the oppressive heat and the bizarre atmosphere I can say I have zero desire to ever attend.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 29
September 4th, 2018 at 7:48:42 AM permalink
1. How large is the area? How do people move around within the area? Is it 100% walking and bicycles?

2. Doesn't the blowing sand become an uncomfortable problem for the nudists? (Think bodily crevices). I could imagine sunburn becoming a problem for people who usually are more fully clothed.

3. How do people eat? Do they all prepare their own food, camping-style?

4. Realistically, what fraction of the people at BM were doing drugs ?

5. For $1,200/person what do the organizers provide? What was the total attendance?

6. Do people attempt to hide inside the RVs and smuggle themselves in to avoid the $1,200 admission fee. At the admission points, does security search the RVs for hidden people?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1106
September 4th, 2018 at 6:03:18 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I think your video said only water and ice is sold. What happens if you feel under supplied or really need something? Can you leave and come back? Is there anything even somewhat close by to do so?

Those who forgot stuff, which is many, probably mooch off others. It is supposed to be a giving economy, so mooching is not difficult, but still not in the spirit of Burning Man. I was talking with a guy at the car wash today who forgot a jacket and got one from a stranger.

You are allowed to leave and return for a $20 re-entry fee. The closest town to buy anything, other than gas, is Empire, which is about 30 miles away.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:25:53 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

1. How large is the area? How do people move around within the area? Is it 100% walking and bicycles?

I got out my BM map, ruler, and calculator to properly answer your question.

The diameter of the camp area is 1.8253 miles.

The area of the "playa," where the put all the art, is 0.5224 square miles.

The camping area is 2.0405 square miles.

This does not count the outlying areas, where you're also allowed to go.

2. Doesn't the blowing sand become an uncomfortable problem for the nudists? (Think bodily crevices). I could imagine sunburn becoming a problem for people who usually are more fully clothed.

Most of the time the wind isn't that bad. I have watched some BM videos that advise women to be careful to cover up properly to not get a UTI (urinary tract infection). This may explain in part why few women to totally nude.

Whatever they bring in, but probably mostly simple things like protein bars. My camp heated up a nice dinner prepared before every night but otherwise everyone was on his own. I ate a lot of almonds and protein bars.

I would estimate about 90%.

5. For $1,200/person what do the organizers provide? What was the total attendance?

My video shows the basic services provided, the most important of which is bathrooms. The total attendance was 80,000. $1,200 was well worth the value you get.

6. Do people attempt to hide inside the RVs and smuggle themselves in to avoid the $1,200 admission fee. At the admission points, does security search the RVs for hidden people?

That probably does happen. Everyone goes through security where they asked me to open all windows and just looked inside. I could have snuck somebody if I wanted to and likely wouldn't have been caught. It probably happens a lot. Once you pass security, nobody asks for a ticket. I've also heard of people sneaking in on foot or bike through the "deep playa" at night.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 4th, 2018 at 6:26:53 PM permalink

I got out my BM map, ruler, and calculator to properly answer your question.

The diameter of the camp area is 1.8253 miles.

The area of the "playa," where the put all the art, is 0.5224 square miles.

The camping area is 2.0405 square miles.

This does not count the outlying areas, where you're also allowed to go.

Most of the time the wind isn't that bad. I have watched some BM videos that advise women to be careful to cover up properly to not get a UTI (urinary tract infection). This may explain in part why few women to totally nude.

Whatever they bring in, but probably mostly simple things like protein bars. My camp heated up a nice dinner prepared before every night but otherwise everyone was on his own. I ate a lot of almonds and protein bars.

I would estimate about 90%.

My video shows the basic services provided, the most important of which is bathrooms. The total attendance was 80,000. $1,200 was well worth the value you get.

That probably does happen. Everyone goes through security where they asked me to open all windows and just looked inside. I could have snuck somebody if I wanted to and likely wouldn't have been caught. It probably happens a lot. Once you pass security, nobody asks for a ticket. I've also heard of people sneaking in on foot or bike through the "deep playa" at night.

• Jump to: