Poll

2 votes (6.66%)
3 votes (10%)
2 votes (6.66%)
20 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (3.33%)
5 votes (16.66%)
1 vote (3.33%)
5 votes (16.66%)
1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1078
  • Posts: 18336
Thanks for this post from:
Zuga
September 3rd, 2018 at 4:46:04 PM permalink
Perhaps this would be more appropriate as a blog entry, but so many have expressed interest in Burning Man that I am making this thread about it.

As many of you know, I just returned from Burning Man. As everyone who has been there has said, it is a difficult experience to describe. Hopefully the video I am hot-linking to below will give you a sense of what my experience was like. This is just my experience. People go for so many different reasons and time only allows you to scratch the surface of the countless things to see and do.

At this time, I am soliciting questions about Burning Man and plan to answer them in a separate video.

One request I'm sure to get is pictures of the hundreds of naked women that freely walked about. There is an unwritten rule at BM against taking photos or videos of people, especially unclothed, without permission. Everyone there seemed to have great respect for the rules, both written and unwritten, including me. So, you won't see any from me.

I'll let this video speak for itself as a good way to get the conversation started.



Direct: https://youtu.be/6O7a5bOMWN8

The question for the poll is would you be interested in a WoV Burning Man trip? Please be advised that the cost per person of the ticket, share of shared supplies, RV rental, and other miscellaneous expenses will be about $4,000. This does not include your travel expenses to get to Reno and your personal supplies.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
GWAE
GWAE 
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 77
  • Posts: 7455
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:30:07 PM permalink
thanks for sharing. One comment would be to leave the words up longer. I wasn't able to read everything and when I tried to reverse it I ended up way past it. I guess I could have paused it but would prefer to just watch it as is.


1. What do you actually do for 4 days? Other than drink (or get high if thats your thing) and just walk around I couldn't imagine being stuck there for 4 days.

2. Are a lot of the structures there year round. The place where the man is seems like it might be permanent.

3. Is there a police presence? I read there were 43 arrests but not sure if that was from people visiting reno after the event or if they were patrolling the event.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 232
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:33:49 PM permalink
Nice video. Thanks for posting. I agree with GWAE regarding leaving the words up longer.

1) How did the reality of BM match your expectations?

2) What would you do differently if you went again? What supplies or items did you wish you brought this year but didnít.

3) What one thing sticks in your mind the most from your trip? Good or bad or just surreal.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1078
  • Posts: 18336
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:53:38 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

thanks for sharing. One comment would be to leave the words up longer. I wasn't able to read everything and when I tried to reverse it I ended up way past it. I guess I could have paused it but would prefer to just watch it as is.



You're welcome. Everybody tells me to keep YouTube videos short, so I kept most pictures up for five seconds. The captions were not meant as required reading, but a little extra information if the viewer was interested. However, your point is well taken.

Quote:

1. What do you actually do for 4 days? Other than drink (or get high if thats your thing) and just walk around I couldn't imagine being stuck there for 4 days.



Four days isn't nearly enough. There were so many things to see and do the hard question was what not to do. They gave you a guidebook when entering of official activities and at any given time there were about 40 to choose from. Or you could just wander around and sure to find some adventure. Trust me, boredom is not a problem if you venture out and open to meeting new people and new experiences. If you just sit in your RV most of the time, as some do, then, yes, four days might be too many.

Quote:

2. Are a lot of the structures there year round. The place where the man is seems like it might be permanent.



The "man" and the structure under it were completely burned Saturday night. I think work on that 747 began months before Burning Man. However, the general rule is that everything must be removed or burned after it is over. My older daughter lives in Reno and some people she knows had jobs prepping the area for the event, but what they did, I don't know. My short answer is that I think everything left is supposed to be removed.

Quote:

3. Is there a police presence? I read there were 43 arrests but not sure if that was from people visiting reno after the event or if they were patrolling the event.



Yes. The only normal vehicles you saw were police from various agencies. Upon leaving there was a mobile sign saying to report BM crimes and gave a phone number. I was wondering myself about crime there. I've heard bike theft, or "borrowing without permission" is an issue. More seriously, they make a huge deal about verbal consent before engaging in sexual activity, so I assume that rape is an issue. I fear that BM may be ruined once criminal elements are more aware of it.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1078
  • Posts: 18336
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:57:31 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Nice video. Thanks for posting. I agree with GWAE regarding leaving the words up longer.

1) How did the reality of BM match your expectations?

2) What would you do differently if you went again? What supplies or items did you wish you brought this year but didnít.

3) What one thing sticks in your mind the most from your trip? Good or bad or just surreal.



These are very good questions, thank you. I think I'll leave my answers for my "Ask the Wizard about Burning Man" video.

Feel free to keep more questions coming!
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 7592
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:57:41 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

thanks for sharing. One comment would be to leave the words up longer.



Plus 1 - a little more leisurely pace on the words. (sticking them in between on a black screen like a silent movie is okay too if the segment recorded is too short)


The whole appearance of the area reminds me of the set of a Mad Max movie, only I guess the hippies won.
prisoner of gravity
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1078
  • Posts: 18336
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:01:07 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

The whole appearance of the area reminds me of the set of a Mad Max movie, only I guess the hippies won.



Good observation. In the video I posted before I went I was stressed out about what to wear, especially regarding a robot costume. I'll answer this in more depth in my follow-up video.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
wrxrob
wrxrob
Joined: Aug 28, 2010
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 38
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:43:33 PM permalink
Is fully nudity allowed at all times? Male and Female?

I go to Fantasy Fest in Key West as much as possible, and while they generally allow topless nudity at all times, usually only the females can get away with bottomless nudity at night, and the males pretty much never. Burning Man is still on my bucket list.

If you've been in the past, what has improved over the years, and what has gotten worse?
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 300
  • Posts: 6463
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:50:07 PM permalink
Welcome back.

I hope the experience opened your eyes and mind.

Will your next video show the man going up in flames?

Burn, baby, burn.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1078
  • Posts: 18336
Thanks for this post from:
wrxrob
September 3rd, 2018 at 7:52:37 PM permalink
Quote: wrxrob

Is fully nudity allowed at all times? Male and Female?



Absolutely! You will see countless number of nude men and topless women. Some women go totally nude out in public, but not that many.

Quote:

I go to Fantasy Fest in Key West as much as possible, and while they generally allow topless nudity at all times, usually only the females can get away with bottomless nudity at night, and the males pretty much never. Burning Man is still on my bucket list.



Keep it on that Bucket List. I get the impression that BM is becoming too big and there are too many people who don't participate, that I would go as soon as you can. I know some people that used to go, but quit, because it "isn't what it used to be." These jaded old-timers sometimes call what it has become "burning meh."

Quote:

If you've been in the past, what has improved over the years, and what has gotten worse?



This is my first time, so can't compare. Forum member MichaelBluejay has been many times, and quit, so I hope he can comment on the evolution of the event.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

  • Jump to: