5 votes (16.66%)
1 vote (3.33%)

30 members have voted

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 7th, 2018 at 2:24:00 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think it is the event organizers that don't allow them, not the state.

Isnt this in the middle of the desert? 1 s or 2, I can never remember.
Who owns land in the desert? Do the even people rent this or do they basically just squat.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1332
September 7th, 2018 at 2:48:31 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Isnt this in the middle of the desert? 1 s or 2, I can never remember.
Who owns land in the desert? Do the even people rent this or do they basically just squat.

The event is held on BLM land. I assume they lease the use of it to the BM organizers. It seems to me there are two layers of security when you go in, one for the BLM and one for the event organizers.

The whole thing is very well organized, I must say, and they seem to respect local, state, and federal laws.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
Thanks for this post from:
miplet
September 7th, 2018 at 3:08:05 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I assume 4k can buy a fair amount of hookers and blow. I'm sure the hookers can be paid to admire Rubix cubes, bowling pins, unicycles and penny farthings.

I'd also want to trim her toenails and have her shave my buttocks. Now, how much would a party like that cost?

It's actually cheaper. A party like that is only $3,000 and includes a hot tub full of Pepto-Bismol.
Vultures can't be choosers.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
Mission146
September 7th, 2018 at 4:36:20 PM permalink
Sounds like Tiger and his old man back in their halcyon party days in sin city.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 8th, 2018 at 9:44:46 AM permalink
Today's Burning Man video is a few pieces by the Black Rock City Orchestra.

Direct: https://youtu.be/Kl3ZE2QJo1o
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
CrystalMath
September 8th, 2018 at 8:54:59 PM permalink
Just to warn you, this is a very boring BM story, but the kind of thing I think about.

At about 11:00 PM on Friday at Burning Man I was out on the Playa, near the Esplanade, with about an hour to kill before what was supposed to be the starting time (midnight) of the drone show. I noticed a phone booth that said "TALK TO GOD" on the top. So, I stood in a line of about five people to talk to god. As one person hung up and walked away I asked, "What did god say?" She said it was too personal to share. So I said, "Can you at least tell me whether god is male or female?" She said god's voice was female. Somebody else overheard this, who had evidently already had his turn, and commented, "With me, god was male."

However, the line was moving slowly and I saw a human being sitting alone nearby at a stand that simply said "advice," like Lucy's psychiatric help for five cents booth, except this one was free. So, I asked the guy sitting there for some advice. He babbled something that didn't help me at all, so I asked if I should be more specific. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Yeah, that would help." Then I asked him a question, that is too personal to repeat here. His advice was, and again I'm paraphrasing, to follow my heart and to heck with the consequences on others.

With no-one else waiting some small chat ensued and he offered me a drink. I confessed I forgot a cup (always carry around one at Burning Man). To make a long story short, he said he needed to take a piss and if I would watch the stand he would return with a drink for both of us. I said "You can count on me," and he went off.

A couple minutes later, a few guys showed up and asked questions like "What should I do tonight?" and "What do you recommend to do here?" I explained I'm a noob to BM, but did try to promote the drone show, which, to be honest, was not that great.

After those instant-gratification questions, a young woman of about 25 asked me, "What is the quickest way to enlightenment?" I tried to offer my two cents, but I don't think it was worth even one cent. I'm nowhere close to finding enlightenment, so what do I know? Then again, I don't think it can be found. If you want to really press me for my opinion about the big picture, it is that there is no meaning of life and that the best we can do is to distract ourselves from facing the abyss. However, I didn't want to depress her, so said a few miscellaneous things and then the guy who was supposed to be answering these questions came back. I handed the question to him and he also just babbled something off the top of his head. I think the girl left unimpressed with both us.

After all of this, there was just one guy talking to god, so I formed a new line. After the guy was done I asked him what god said. He didn't come back with a clear answer. Instead, he mumbled something about not being able to explain it.

Then I picked up the phone. God came on a few minutes later. I said "Are you there god? It's me, Mike." I hope you guys get the reference, but god didn't seem to. Anyway, I went right into the big questions like "What is the meaning of life?" and "Which religion comes closest to the real truth?" God just gave some ambiguous answers that seemed to be Jesus-like parables at the time. I walked away feeling confused and unfulfilled.

When I hung up the phone, I saw another guy standing, waiting for his turn. He asked me what I asked the previous guy, "What did god say?" I told him that god was rather vague and I needed time to process the interaction. He thanked me for my honesty. As I went back for my bike, he picked up the receiver.

Just today, as I went back over the evening for about the 20th time, I came to the assumption that perhaps god was just reading off a a list of fortune cookie like statements that one could read a lot into, but at the core, were pretty empty. None of god's answers specifically reflected what I asked.

In the end, I think it was a good joke, at least in my case. You had me there. Meanwhile, I'll keep searching.
Last edited by: Wizard on Sep 12, 2018
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
September 8th, 2018 at 9:07:41 PM permalink
I got the reference, wizard! Are you there,god? It's me, margaret, an interesting coming of age book from like 1972 and I think Judy Plume wrote it.:)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
September 8th, 2018 at 9:46:12 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

God just gave some ambiguous answers that seemed Jesus-like parables at the time.
None of god's answers specifically reflected what I asked.

I suppose you could have asked him something specific like, "What is it going to take to get the Wizard of Vegas forum software working correctly again and when will that happen?"
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
September 8th, 2018 at 10:29:16 PM permalink
A good BM orientation video:

video
Last edited by: MrV on Sep 9, 2018
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 9th, 2018 at 4:46:48 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I got the reference, wizard! Are you there,god? It's me, margaret, an interesting coming of age book from like 1972 and I think Judy Plume wrote it.:)

Yes! I think I read every book by Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary in the mid 70's.

• Jump to: