10 votes (8.4%)
4 votes (3.36%)
3 votes (2.52%)

119 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 23rd, 2016 at 11:09:06 AM permalink
You don't list employees as charitable expenses. Rather than give money to groups to outsource the work, they do it themselves. Clinton Foundation employees provide the services.
If my business gives a million dollars to fight AIDS in Africa, its a donation. If my business is fighting AIDS in Africa and I hire staff for a million dollars, it is a business expense, not a charitable donation.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 23rd, 2016 at 11:39:08 AM permalink
That gelatinous blob, sometimes referred to as Ted Cruz, is expected to endorse Donald Trump.

LOL - just shows what a spineless politician he really is. Trump calls his wife ugly. Says his dad was involved in JFK's assassination. But he's gonna endorse him.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
billryan
billryan
September 23rd, 2016 at 12:24:33 PM permalink
I think Johnson just lost a good deal of his supporters with his The Sun is going to destroy the earth eventually so why waste money on global warming nonsense.
Now had the dumpster said it, we'd have pages of rages from folks here arguing he was correct.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 23rd, 2016 at 2:29:47 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

That gelatinous blob, sometimes referred to as Ted Cruz, is expected to endorse Donald Trump.

LOL - just shows what a spineless politician he really is. Trump calls his wife ugly. Says his dad was involved in JFK's assassination. But he's gonna endorse him.

That's an interesting implication for a man who gave a convention speech exhorting voters to "vote your conscience." At the time, Cruz's conscience was firmly in the "Trump is evil" camp. If that's now changed, it implies that Cruz's conscience is malleable. Not a good trait for someone who holds himself out as a conservative, religious-right crusader. This might be the beginning of the end for Ted Cruz on the national stage. To paraphrase Ted Cruz's commentary on Donald Trump over the past five months:

"Donald Trump is a pathological liar, utterly amoral, a serial philanderer, and a narcissist at a level I don't think this country's ever seen ...

... and he has my vote."
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
billryan
billryan
September 23rd, 2016 at 3:08:32 PM permalink
I believe Trump promised him the vacant seat on the Supreme Court.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
September 23rd, 2016 at 3:51:07 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

"Donald Trump is a pathological liar, utterly amoral, a serial philanderer, and a narcissist at a level I don't think this country's ever seen ...

... and he has my vote."

So you can imagine what he thinks of Hillary........

But seriously, Cruz had the opportunity, as soon as he conceded and it was only Trump left standing, to lukewarmly endorse Trump saying something like.... "I am a man of my word, and will support the Republican nominee like I pledged. Despite our differences, we have more similarities and must unite to protect the country from a possible Hillary presidency."
To endorse him now is so pathetic.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
September 23rd, 2016 at 4:35:49 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

But seriously, Cruz had the opportunity, as soon as he conceded and it was only Trump left standing, to lukewarmly endorse Trump saying something like.... "I am a man of my word, and will support the Republican nominee like I pledged. Despite our differences, we have more similarities and must unite to protect the country from a possible Hillary presidency."

This 10000x

Cruz's endorsement of Trump today tells you everything you need to know about Lyin' Ted!
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
September 23rd, 2016 at 5:29:55 PM permalink

Well, isn't that what every Trump supporter who isn't simply a deplorable is doing? Throwing their personal ethics and morality into the trash basket just to support a Republican candidate no matter what?

I definitely agree, though, there must be some form of quid pro bozo here...maybe a promise from Trump to Cruz, or a promise from the RNC that they'll give him some goodies in return for "supporting" Trump. Maybe Trump promised Cruz to make him chancellor of the Muslim death camps, or maybe the RNC told him that they would get behind him (no, not to do THAT) in 2020. Remember, Repubs: party before country!
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 23rd, 2016 at 8:59:07 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

This 10000x

Cruz's endorsement of Trump today tells you everything you need to know about Lyin' Ted!

Meh. A lot of people said the same thing about Bernie endorsing Hillary. In both cases, I think it's reasonable to conclude they went with the lesser of two evils, in their minds.

So, score one for the idea that Hillary will advocate some of Bernie's positions. She now says she wants to raise the inheritance tax to 65% for the richest people. Great idea, though I don't believe her.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-clinton-proposes-65-tax-on-largest-estates-1474559914
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
September 24th, 2016 at 1:36:31 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

They don't appropriate their funds via grants. They employ people that do the charity work.

How much of that salaries expense is for fund raising, administrative and support personnel, and how much of it is dedicated to personnel performing humanitarian services is unknown.

What is known is the Foundation keeps nearly half the donations it receives.

When you look at the Form 990 for any other major charity, their expenses match and sometimes exceed their revenues.

Yet, The Clinton Foundation, which spends only 60% of the money it receives, and keeps the rest, gets the same rating as charities that spend 100% of their revenue.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 24th, 2016 at 7:22:56 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Yet, The Clinton Foundation, which spends only 60% of the money it receives, and keeps the rest, gets the same rating as charities that spend 100% of their revenue.

So what's more likely? That all the people who rate charities are wrong, or that your interpretation of that tax form isn't accurate?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
September 24th, 2016 at 1:35:11 PM permalink
One day I expect we'll have presidential debates where something like Watson (jeopardy winning machine) evaluates the answers accuracy on the fly as it happens on a meter at that bottom of the screen.

Too bad it can't be this year.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 24th, 2016 at 3:21:31 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

One day I expect we'll have presidential debates where something like Watson (jeopardy winning machine) evaluates the answers accuracy on the fly as it happens on a meter at that bottom of the screen.

Too bad it can't be this year.

As a Hillary fan I would figure a machine calling out lies would be the last thing you would want.

Heck. Her opening statement alone might overload it and burn the building down.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ams288
ams288
September 24th, 2016 at 3:55:10 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

As a Hillary fan I would figure a machine calling out lies would be the last thing you would want.

Heck. Her opening statement alone might overload it and burn the building down.

Trump lies more than Hillary. And he tells bigger lies.

This is a fact.

Move along.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 24th, 2016 at 5:05:20 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Trump lies more than Hillary. And he tells bigger lies.

This is a fact.

Move along.

Hillarys emails stories are a bigger lie than anything Trump might ever say.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 24th, 2016 at 5:48:09 PM permalink

Hillarys emails stories are a bigger lie than anything Trump might ever say.

Like how African Americans have never, ever, ever, ever had it worse in the U.S. than they do right now?

That's Trump's version of the truth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 26th, 2016 at 11:50:14 AM permalink
If the election were held today Nate Silver
says Trump would have a 54% chance of
winning.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
September 26th, 2016 at 11:56:29 AM permalink
I'd like to see the odds on Hillary having a seizure during the debates.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 26th, 2016 at 12:04:56 PM permalink

Like how African Americans have never, ever, ever, ever had it worse in the U.S. than they do right now?

That's Trump's version of the truth.

That's not Trump lying. That's Trump just being stupid. I am not saying it is better, but to me it is different. When Trump says he will build a wall the entire length of our border with Mexico when elected, to me that is not a lie. I know that it won't happen, but it is possible he actually thinks it will. I think it is different when you intentionally mislead, lie, cover up, etc... which is Hillary's M.O. Many of Trump's 'lies' are more from delusion. None of Hillary's are because of delusion. They are cold and calculated. I think the difference is more than just semantics.....
ams288
ams288
September 26th, 2016 at 12:05:15 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I'd like to see the odds on Hillary having a seizure during the debates.

Exactly the same odds of black people rioting in the streets in 2012 when Mitt Romney won.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 26th, 2016 at 12:29:32 PM permalink

That's not Trump lying. That's Trump just being stupid. I am not saying it is better, but to me it is different. When Trump says he will build a wall the entire length of our border with Mexico when elected, to me that is not a lie. I know that it won't happen, but it is possible he actually thinks it will. I think it is different when you intentionally mislead, lie, cover up, etc... which is Hillary's M.O. Many of Trump's 'lies' are more from delusion. None of Hillary's are because of delusion. They are cold and calculated. I think the difference is more than just semantics.....

Wait, are you saying you'd rather have a president who is delusional than a president who is cold and calculating? Cold and calculating is ruthlessly effective, delusional is not. If Trump were cold and calculating and Hillary were delusional, Trump would be polling ahead by a landslide. The fact that the race is even remotely close is indicative of the implicit sexism at play here. You're criticizing Hillary for exhibiting the very same traits that are often admired in powerful men.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
September 26th, 2016 at 12:43:26 PM permalink
Five hours to go before debate #1. I wanted to capture the odds before and after. Here are the BetFair odds right now. These are averaging the buy and lay prices:

Clinton: 1.595
Trump: 2.885

To convert them to probabilities:

Clinton: 62.7%
Trump: 34.7%

The difference between the total and 100% is that other people could still win.

I'm predicting it will be memorable debate but won't move the odds much. If forced, I think any movement would be Trump's way.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ams288
ams288
September 26th, 2016 at 1:14:40 PM permalink
I think one thing is absolutely clear: no matter who wins, Trump will declare victory on Twitter tonight and most likely will have a Drudge poll to back him up.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 26th, 2016 at 1:40:41 PM permalink

Wait, are you saying you'd rather have a president who is delusional than a president who is cold and calculating? Cold and calculating is ruthlessly effective, delusional is not. If Trump were cold and calculating and Hillary were delusional, Trump would be polling ahead by a landslide. The fact that the race is even remotely close is indicative of the implicit sexism at play here. You're criticizing Hillary for exhibiting the very same traits that are often admired in powerful men.

Where do you read that I am saying I'd rather have Trump than Hillary? I actually do not believe that sexism is a factor in this election. The US has elected a bunch of Congresswomen and female Senators in races where one of the candidates is male.... and not just when the candidate is as bizarre as Trump. The fact that the race is even close is that many Americans understand how bad in general the liberal/progressive agenda is for the future of America, and how bad a candidate Mrs. Clinton is. As I've said before, if the Republicans had nominated a 'moderate' (meaning NOT Cruz), like Kasich or Bush or Rubio, I would be on that bandwagon.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
September 26th, 2016 at 1:40:53 PM permalink
Ten years without 3% GDP growth.
U.S. Commercial bankruptcies up 29% from a year ago.
S&P earnings down five and probably six consecutive quarters of year over year earnings.
Factory orders down twenty months in a row.
U.S. Gov't. debt at $20 trillion.

And more: Zero Hedge

According to the Tax Foundation, Trump's tax plan would increase the long run size of the economy by 6.9 - 8.2%.
Tax Foundation Analysis of Trump Tax Plan

According to the Tax Foundation, Hillary's tax plan would reduce the size of the economy by 1% in the long run.
Tax Foundation Analysis of Clinton Tax Plan
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 26th, 2016 at 1:48:40 PM permalink

The Hilbot meme about her being "effective" or "experienced" or whatever only holds water if she's doing good. If you are working class, The Clintons' stated policy, which they've demonstrated effectiveness at in the past, is to ship your job overseas. Last thing you want is for them to be effective.

If someone considers Henry Kissinger some kind of role model, last thing in the world I want is for them to be effective.

The election isn't close because of sexism. Did people change from being non-sexist a month ago, to being more sexist now?

You could easily argue the opposite. There's no way on earth she would be the nominee if it weren't for her husband. One of her only selling points is her genitalia, and the idea that she's breaking a barrier. Her being a woman is one of the only things she has going for her. Put her brain in a man's body, and she'd still be back at Wal-Mart, a successful corporate lawyer, happily crushing unions for personal gain. But certainly not a person anybody would view as a potential candidate for president.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 26th, 2016 at 2:21:29 PM permalink
I check into my room at the Palazzo on the eve of the first presidential debate and this is the view:

I'm glad I'm not superstitious...
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 26th, 2016 at 2:53:11 PM permalink

I check into my room at the Palazzo on the eve of the first presidential debate and this is the view:

Nice
I got to watch the Karl Rove meltdown live from my hotel room about 4 yeas ago in Vegas
I never watch Fox
But I made it a point to watch them right when the networks declared Obama beat Rommney
terapined
terapined
September 26th, 2016 at 2:55:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If the election were held today Nate Silver
says Trump would have a 54% chance of
winning.

Bookies still have Clinton ahead
why
Because today don't mean jack
rxwine
rxwine
September 26th, 2016 at 3:40:45 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Because today don't mean jack

That reminds me. When they shake hands, I'm going to try to see if Hillary's hand is bigger.

; 0
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 26th, 2016 at 3:48:29 PM permalink

WOW! Did you have to pay extra for that?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
September 26th, 2016 at 3:49:40 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Bookies still have Clinton ahead
why Because today don't mean jack

If you think Trump will win, I'll happily give you 3 to 2 odds.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Keyser
Keyser
September 26th, 2016 at 3:52:00 PM permalink
Nate says Trump is favored at this point, but Nate has been rather schizo on Trump.
terapined
terapined
September 26th, 2016 at 4:03:02 PM permalink
The Debate drinking game

Must have a drink if Trump
Mentions "The Wall"
Claims "Mexico will pay for it"
Says "Make America great again"
Uses the phrase "Believe me"
Says "China"
Says "I was treated very unfairly"
Looses his cool and drops an F bomb

Must have a drink if Clinton
coughs
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 26th, 2016 at 4:05:46 PM permalink
I was reading on a financial site that
if Trump wins the presidency, the value
of the Trump brand will increase about
1500% on the world market from where
it was before he started running. If he loses
it will go up only 800% to 1000%.

Only? Sounds like a win/win for
Trump.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 26th, 2016 at 4:09:13 PM permalink

Trump.

That is how smart businessmen and alpha males set themselves up!

In other news, I bought some milk in Ohio yesterday and Hillary was on the carton, WT?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 26th, 2016 at 4:40:01 PM permalink

Trump.

Why do you think he's running? This is all about padding his corporate pocketbook. Do you think, given what Trump has done for a living over the past decade or so, that he actually wants to perform the day-in, day-out job of being president? Setting aside whether you think he even can -- and there is ample room to debate on that point alone -- what makes you think he is willing to do the job?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 26th, 2016 at 4:48:35 PM permalink

Why do you think he's running? This is all about padding his corporate pocketbook. Do you think, given what Trump has done for a living over the past decade or so, that he actually wants to perform the day-in, day-out job of being president? Setting aside whether you think he even can -- and there is ample room to debate on that point alone -- what makes you think he is willing to do the job?

I totally think he is willing to do the job. The guy worked hard to get where he has gotten in life. He is clearly no slacker and knows how to get things done. He has made half-hearted attempts at running before. This time it seems the timing and his ambition were in sync and he made it happen.

I totally find him more "willing to do the job" than Hillary is.

What about Trump makes you think otherwise?
Keyser
Keyser
September 26th, 2016 at 4:51:03 PM permalink
Quote: ams

Exactly the same odds of black people rioting in the streets in 2012 when Mitt Romney won.

So rather high.

It will also be interesting to see if Hillary can remain standing for the entire length of the debate.

rxwine
rxwine
September 26th, 2016 at 5:12:02 PM permalink

It will also be interesting to see if Hillary can remain standing for the entire length of the debate.

The bar is so low for Trump, he just has to act like a human being for 90 minutes.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 26th, 2016 at 5:14:34 PM permalink

So rather high.

That is so badly photoshopped you can still see the shadow of where her right pupil(the photo's left) is, let alone the mismatched iris painted in.

Garbage.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 26th, 2016 at 5:18:32 PM permalink

So rather high.

Rush said on his show today that the
real challenge for Hillary is remaining
vertical for 90 min.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 26th, 2016 at 5:19:12 PM permalink

I totally find him more "willing to do the job" than Hillary is.

What about Trump makes you think otherwise?

A few things. One is the way he's run his campaign. He's working on, what, his third campaign manager? He apparently has minimal or no get-out-the-vote organization in several crucial states. He has campaigned more actively in states that have low leverage, in several cases, than in states where moving the needle would matter. Washington and Oregon, for example. It's not rocket science, it's a simple calculus about where best to deploy limited resources.

Two is the way he's run his own business recently. He's not a real estate developer anymore, he's a brand manager who licenses his IP to others. There's nothing wrong with doing that (and, naturally, the vast majority of big-budget slot games on the G2E expo floor are branded using licensed IP), but brand-building is a very, very different job than real estate development.

Or being a political executive, which brings me to my third point: Trump's international businesses would seem to be a blatant and irreconcilable conflict of interest with holding the office. It's been suggested that not only will he personally need to divest of his businesses, but so will his entire family, to avoid even the appearances of double-dealing or putting family profits over national security. I don't think Trump really wants to sacrifice the Trump Organization just so he can be president, and the value growth of the Trump brand won't matter at all if he's not profiting from it. From a financial standpoint, Trump may be the first candidate for whom winning the presidency turns out to be a less lucrative long-term outcome than losing.

41 minutes and counting...
Keyser
Keyser
September 26th, 2016 at 5:19:20 PM permalink
Going back through the thread, it's rather amusing to see how so many people didn't even believe Trump had a chance in hell of winning the republican nomination.

To me, this election resembles the Brexit.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
September 26th, 2016 at 5:23:22 PM permalink

Going back through the thread, it's rather amusing to see how so many people didn't even believe Trump had a chance in hell of winning the republican nomination.

To me, this election resembles the Brexit.

I agree, but it's worth noting that over a million Britons who voted for Brexit regretted those votes shortly after casting them. I hope the U.S. electorate has no cause to regret its votes in the coming months.
Keyser
Keyser
September 26th, 2016 at 5:27:40 PM permalink
Quote: Evenbob

Rush said on his show today that the
real challenge for Hillary is remaining
vertical for 90 min.

Very true. I suspect that she's going to need help getting down from the podium as well.

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 26th, 2016 at 5:34:09 PM permalink

41 minutes and counting...

I won't watch a single second of this
over hyped thing. If Trump somehow
gets Hill to perform a disgusting
sexual act on him, I'm sure I'll see it
over and over, in slo-mo, for the next
3 days.
Keyser
Keyser
September 26th, 2016 at 5:37:29 PM permalink
I'm watching to see if she's able to walk into the debate hall on her own.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 26th, 2016 at 5:58:02 PM permalink

A few things. One is the way he's run his campaign. He's working on, what, his third campaign manager? He apparently has minimal or no get-out-the-vote organization in several crucial states. He has campaigned more actively in states that have low leverage, in several cases, than in states where moving the needle would matter. Washington and Oregon, for example. It's not rocket science, it's a simple calculus about where best to deploy limited resources.

Not at all a big deal. Sometimes you hire someone and you just do not mesh right. "Get out the vote" has historically been less important for the GOP. Most GOP voters seem to be the type who vote on their own, except for maybe seniors who need a lift. OTOH, Democrats need more of the ground game. Blacks historically have wildly differing vote patterns depending on their enthusiasm for the candidate. Same with younger voters. Why do you think Democrats want you to be able to vote over a month instead of a sensible one-day election?

Quote:

Two is the way he's run his own business recently. He's not a real estate developer anymore, he's a brand manager who licenses his IP to others. There's nothing wrong with doing that (and, naturally, the vast majority of big-budget slot games on the G2E expo floor are branded using licensed IP), but brand-building is a very, very different job than real estate development.

I do not see what this has to do with your premise of "being willing to do the job." He moved his business strategy in a smart way.

Quote:

Or being a political executive, which brings me to my third point: Trump's international businesses would seem to be a blatant and irreconcilable conflict of interest with holding the office. It's been suggested that not only will he personally need to divest of his businesses, but so will his entire family, to avoid even the appearances of double-dealing or putting family profits over national security. I don't think Trump really wants to sacrifice the Trump Organization just so he can be president, and the value growth of the Trump brand won't matter at all if he's not profiting from it. From a financial standpoint, Trump may be the first candidate for whom winning the presidency turns out to be a less lucrative long-term outcome than losing.

If he didn't want to divest, why would he run? His is at the twilight of his life and wants to cap it off.
rxwine
rxwine
September 26th, 2016 at 6:14:58 PM permalink
Trump sure is sniffing audibly.
  • Jump to: