Thread Rating:

weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 17th, 2011 at 8:16:22 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Doctor-patient privilege, including that for psychotherapy, can be breached if/when the doctor suspects a crime was or is about to be committed.

Not, not past tense. If the crime is in progress, or there are reasonable grounds to believe that it will be committed, yes, privilege does not apply. But information of any any crime that has been committed in the past is still privileged.

Quote:

For example, an ER physician treating a child with an unusual number of injuries may call the authorities to report a suspicion of child abuse.

This is different, the perpetrator of the crime is not a patient, so the privilege does not apply.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 17th, 2011 at 1:02:55 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I just wish I could recall the term for it that Pol Pot used. It's one of the words that like "re-education" that sounds very innocuous, but really isn't.

Self-criticism (jiantao).

Came back across it today when reading up on the Shining Path.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
November 17th, 2011 at 3:03:00 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Read any serious history about that period and the myths and untruths Bob writes about will be exposed

He's referring the cover up job the Church has been doing
since Vatican II to whitewash their image. They want to play
down all the atrocities they commited in the past by denying
most of them ever happened. Look, they say, we've found
'hidden' documents in the Vatican archives that show the
Inquisition wasn't so bad after all. They aren't fooling anybody,
but they will eventually. If you tell the lie long enough, people
will believe. This is all part of the new, friendlier, hands on
Church. Thats why they stopped having mass in latin here,
it wasn't 'people friendly'.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 19th, 2011 at 6:13:13 PM permalink
Just got back from NCYC; a gathering of 23,000 young Catholics who were all "Called to Glory". What an amazing experience! One of the things that struck me was how hungry the youth were to go deeper in their relationship with God. We gave them a lot of quality presentations and entertainment, but what they wanted more than anything was an experience of prayer and connection to the Divine. They are looking for hope, meaning, purpose, and promise in their lives - it was truly glorious to see. It gave me lots of hope for the future of the Church and our world.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 20th, 2011 at 1:32:43 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

He's referring the cover up job the Church has been doing
since Vatican II to whitewash their image. They want to play
down all the atrocities they commited in the past by denying
most of them ever happened. Look, they say, we've found
'hidden' documents in the Vatican archives that show the
Inquisition wasn't so bad after all. They aren't fooling anybody,
but they will eventually. If you tell the lie long enough, people
will believe. This is all part of the new, friendlier, hands on
Church. Thats why they stopped having mass in latin here,
it wasn't 'people friendly'.

Maybe this thread isn't the appropriate place for this sort of diatribe. The statements you're making and implying require documentary proof, and you haven't provided any links or references for any of us to examine any. I recommend the Please rag on religion here, not in FrGamble's bible study thread under the "Announcements" heading.
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 20th, 2011 at 1:34:12 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Self-criticism (jiantao).

Came back across it today when reading up on the Shining Path.

Is this a book title?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 310
November 20th, 2011 at 2:46:39 AM permalink

23,000 young Catholics who were all "Called to Glory".

Glad to hear things are going well for you, Padre. BTW I got a chuckle, back in my younger days people were still using the old expression "called to glory" as a sardonic way to say someone died! Apparently that is an archaic enough use today to escape any such humorous double meaning with most people now [I'd have to guess your conference used the expression].
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
November 20th, 2011 at 2:50:23 AM permalink

a gathering of 23,000 young Catholics who were all "Called to Glory".

"Many are called, few are chosen".. Matthew 22:14

Kind of like the NFL draft..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 20th, 2011 at 7:19:36 AM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

Is this a book title?

No, the Shining Path are/were a group of Peruvian guerillas fighting for a Maoist revolution. Nasty brutal bunch.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 21st, 2011 at 6:18:55 PM permalink
Quote: NowTheSerpent

Maybe this thread isn't the appropriate place for this sort of diatribe. The statements you're making and implying require documentary proof, and you haven't provided any links or references for any of us to examine any. I recommend the Please rag on religion here, not in FrGamble's bible study thread under the "Announcements" heading.

Here are a few links that could shed some light on this dark time in history:

The Real Inquisition

Fact vs. Fiction

The Economist book review of Henry Kamen "The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision"

• Jump to: