Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
November 21st, 2011 at 10:25:50 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Here are a few links that could shed some light on this dark time in history:

The Real Inquisition

Written by a professor at Saint Louis University. A Catholic, Jesuit university ranked among the top research institutions in the nation. Need I say more?

Fact vs. Fiction

More spin from the Catholic Education Resource Center.

The Economist book review of Henry Kamen "The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision"

A review that concludes: So what? It was more like a bad amusement park ride, whats the big deal.

Padre, you're making all my points for me. Everybody
who tries to soft pedal the Inquisition is connected
with the Church. They have an obvious axe to grind.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
NowTheSerpent
NowTheSerpent
  • Threads: 15
November 22nd, 2011 at 1:44:55 AM permalink
Thanks for the links.
Garnabby
Garnabby
  • Threads: 4
November 22nd, 2011 at 4:11:04 PM permalink
I think that EvenBob makes better arguments for FrGamble than does FrGamble (for the existence of a personified God).

Why else would EvenBob be so-invested in this discussion? And which better inspiration for his "innocence" in doing so than a real God?
Why bet at all, if you can be sure? Anyway, what constitutes a "good bet"? - The best slots-game in town; a sucker's edge; or some gray-area blackjack-stunts? (P.S. God doesn't even have to exist to be God.)
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 24th, 2011 at 7:10:26 AM permalink
Happy Thanksgiving! It strikes me that when we believe in God there is indeed much to give thanks for. You can't thank a voidless waste and random chance for our lives, but you can thank a personal God! As far as I can see Thanksgiving only makes sense to a theist. So again Happy Thanksgiving to all who believe in a God, gods, or a higher power. A happy normal day of nothingness to my friends who believe there is nothing.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 24th, 2011 at 7:25:39 AM permalink

Happy Thanksgiving! It strikes me that when we believe in God there is indeed much to give thanks for. You can't thank a voidless waste and random chance for our lives, but you can thank a personal God!

You can also thank the people who are with you in your life that you consider friends and family for being there. How shallow and selfishly pious to commandeer Thanksgiving for your particular brand of God.

As far as I can see Thanksgiving only makes sense to a theist.

From reading your other posts, that has become pretty obvious to me. You are unable to see past your own ridiculous superstitions.

So again Happy Thanksgiving to all who believe in a God, gods, or a higher power. A happy normal day of nothingness to my friends who believe there is nothing.

False choice but thanks for the offering.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 24th, 2011 at 7:52:42 AM permalink
Actually, I think FrGamble's way off the mark here.

Thanksgiving is a non-theist day where everyone is joined together to give thanks no matter what they believe. That's why I enjoy the day so much, and I'm Canadian.

For example, I am quite thankful to my friends, wife, parents, child, and employer. I am thankful that I have a good brain and am able to make a good living. I am thankful for my health. I am thankful for my skills. I will be thankful for the food that goes on my plate tonight (well, I'm Canadian, so I'm eating Tacos -- my wife (an American - will especially be thankful). I am thankful for my house. I am thankful for this wonderful universe that we live in. All of these I can be thankful for without saying a special thanks to my God, as it might be possible that all of these things, these wonderful things, can exist without God including a Christian God.

But I will thank my lord Jesus Christ especially on Christmas and Easter.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 180
November 24th, 2011 at 9:26:46 AM permalink

As far as I can see Thanksgiving only makes sense to a theist.

If I didn't recognize your ignorance I would consider this an insult. Such a low shot (and I recognize your words as intentionally chosen) is out of character for you.

I forgive you, without your asking for forgiveness.
NO KILL I
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 24th, 2011 at 9:31:52 AM permalink

Happy Thanksgiving! It strikes me that when we believe in God there is indeed much to give thanks for. You can't thank a voidless waste and random chance for our lives, but you can thank a personal God! As far as I can see Thanksgiving only makes sense to a theist. So again Happy Thanksgiving to all who believe in a God, gods, or a higher power. A happy normal day of nothingness to my friends who believe there is nothing.

Stay classy there, stay classy.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
November 24th, 2011 at 10:12:18 AM permalink
I don't know what to say, I've lost it and let my emotions get to me. Combine my frustration over some of the unreasonable and mean comments I've read against God and religion with the anonymity of this internet thing and you get some stupid things I have been saying lately that have been mean as well. I've got to calm down and let us all get back to the important task of figuring out the best way to play craps, count cards, and find good VP. I'm sorry and most worried that in my zeal might have given a negative impression of religious people. A very Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 24th, 2011 at 10:30:43 AM permalink
Quote: Garnabby

I think that EvenBob makes better arguments for FrGamble than does FrGamble (for the existence of a personified God).

Why else would EvenBob be so-invested in this discussion? And which better inspiration for his "innocence" in doing so than a real God?

Evenbob's just pissed off that he has to go to his sister's again for Thanksgiving. The food apparently is not cooked properly. ;)
If God existed, his sister would just cook the perfect dinner. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, from Arthur Carlson and the folks at W - K - R - P. Video here.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!

• Jump to: