Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
October 11th, 2011 at 9:57:44 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Really what I'm trying to say is that there is a higher rate of autism among devout atheists than there is among non atheists.

I think you're wrong. The vast majority of people
with genius IQ's are atheists. The reason is, they
don't need the crutch that religion provides.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 11th, 2011 at 9:58:27 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Isn't any religious belief better than none?

An honest answer to that question requires defining "better", which is most likely to be done with reference to religion, making the answer circular and thus invalid.

What do *you* mean by better?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 11th, 2011 at 10:00:51 PM permalink
55. Jamie Hyneman

I have listened to this guy enough on myth busters and have watched his mannerisms enough to know that this guy is absolutely beyond the shadow of a doubt austistic. Aspergers all the way. The mono tone voice, very little expression, odd gait and movements.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
October 11th, 2011 at 10:02:05 PM permalink

Autistic people in general have a hard time comprehending and imaging the abstract idea of a god.

If so, on the other end of the spectrum we have hundreds of conflicting religious beliefs by those all over the world who can comprehend an abstract such as a god. Is having a bunch of conflicting beliefs a better position to be in?

No.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2011 at 10:04:15 PM permalink

I have listened to this guy enough on myth busters and have watched his mannerisms enough to know that this guy is absolutely beyond the shadow of a doubt austistic.

Why don't you just admit you have no idea what
autism is and we'll all just forget about it.
Keyser
Keyser
October 11th, 2011 at 10:09:28 PM permalink
Regardless of the your IQ, you have to be able to imagine the possibility of God. Being conflicted, in doubt at times, is human. Someone that's autistic has a very difficult time even comprehending the abstract idea of a god since they can't directly see it.

By the way, I have close friends from college, and business associates that have varing degrees of Aspergers as well as a nephew with it. In college you'll find that autistic people tend to gravitate towards math and science.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
October 11th, 2011 at 10:11:36 PM permalink
No, this is what I mean, Keyser This is where it ends up. It's where it will continue to end up.

---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Keyser
Keyser
October 11th, 2011 at 10:15:48 PM permalink
Regarding the word "better". Unlike others, I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately there's a down side to some things. Fanatics, as I've said, can give religion a bad name. I believe that being agnostic or being religious is "better" than being an atheist.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2011 at 10:16:00 PM permalink

Regardless of the your IQ, you have to be able to imagine the possibility of God.

So high IQ people are too stupid to do that?
Are you serious?
Keyser
Keyser
October 11th, 2011 at 10:17:57 PM permalink
Quote: Evenbob

So high IQ people are too stupid to do that?
Are you serious?

I'm not seeing the connection that you're attempting to make. However Bob, don't worry. There are plenty of stupid atheists as well.

• Jump to: