Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 325
October 11th, 2011 at 9:00:32 PM permalink
Are they autistic?

That's the point.

Damned bible thumpers are starting to piss me off.
"What, me worry?"
ikilledjerrylogan
ikilledjerrylogan
  • Threads: 2
October 11th, 2011 at 9:02:15 PM permalink
Im sure all the other atheists are thanking you for posting such a fabulous list. Mao and Stalin in the top 50. Name calling? come on you can do better than that.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 11th, 2011 at 9:16:27 PM permalink
I am not bothered by a test that implies I may be autistic. I can count like Rain Man, so may be, but I can't play the piano for beans (although I started to get good before snapping my hand in twain, so may be again). Nor am I bothered by being lumped in a list with Chairman Mao. Pretty sure he was human and a man, too, so I guess we can all be connected to him by list.

I am 100% athiest, and I'm happy. Got problems just like everyone else, but my life is fulfilling. MrV, just because someone says it's so does not make it so. And that works both ways. I used to get all bent out of shape about this stuff too, until I realized it doesn't matter. FrG preaching affects us only as much as we allow it. Keyser insinuating we may be autistic is the same. Try not to get too bent out of shape about stuff on the internet, and I suggest that only for your own sake, from someone who spent too much time being angry at what is essentially nothing.

If the Gov starts doing stuff "in the name of God", THEN we break out the pitchforks and torches. Otherwise, come here for the gambling, stay for the car talk, and ignore opinions you don't agree with. Only a few more decades til we are worm food, might as well not waste what little time we have on something we already made our minds up about, right? ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
ikilledjerrylogan
ikilledjerrylogan
October 11th, 2011 at 9:20:35 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I am not bothered by a test that implies I may be autistic. I can count like Rain Man, so may be, but I can't play the piano for beans (although I started to get good before snapping my hand in twain, so may be again). Nor am I bothered by being lumped in a list with Chairman Mao. Pretty sure he was human and a man, too, so I guess we can all be connected to him by list.

I am 100% athiest, and I'm happy. Got problems just like everyone else, but my life is fulfilling. MrV, just because someone says it's so does not make it so. And that works both ways. I used to get all bent out of shape about this stuff too, until I realized it doesn't matter. FrG preaching affects us only as much as we allow it. Keyser insinuating we may be autistic is the same. Try not to get too bent out of shape about stuff on the internet, and I suggest that only for your own sake, from someone who spent too much time being angry at what is essentially nothing.

If the Gov starts doing stuff "in the name of God", THEN we break out the pitchforks and torches. Otherwise, come here for the gambling, stay for the car talk, and ignore opinions you don't agree with. Only a few more decades til we are worm food, might as well not waste what little time we have on something we already made our minds up about, right? ;)

Aw come on face, he was the best player on our team :P
As always, love the post. You have a way of putting everything in perspective.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 11th, 2011 at 9:24:56 PM permalink
I'm not a Bible thumper. I likely find parts of the Bible to be as absurd as you do.

I am not evangelical, I feel that many of them give all religion a bad name. They are on the verge of being a cult.

I believe in evolution.

And I believe in god.

Over the years, I have simply noticed that an unusually high number of people that call themselves atheist are also autistic. Autistic people in general have a hard time comprehending and imaging the abstract idea of a god. Also, please note I'm not saying that agnostics are autistic.
In general, people that were heavily picked on by others while in school for various reasons, also tend to be devout atheists.
By the nature of the disease, autistic people are also heavily teased and taunted by others during adolescence as well.
This is where I see a large part of the unusual rebelliousness and antisocial behavior having been reinforced. As an adult, they tend to partly resent there fellow man and any and all sense of authority. Consequently they feel they will show everyone by making their desperate cries for attention by rebelling against the ultimate authority - God.

Mr. V.,

I'm sorry that you were short, ugly, or picked on for other reasons as a kid, but I'm not here to sell you religion. You're starting to sound like you hate the world almost as much as Spike/Evenbob.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
October 11th, 2011 at 9:44:47 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Isn't any religious belief better than none?

No.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
October 11th, 2011 at 9:46:31 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Over the years, I have simply noticed that an unusually high number of people that call themselves atheist are also autistic. Autistic people in general have a hard time comprehending and imaging the abstract idea of a god.

"Autism is defined in the DSM-IV-TR as exhibiting at least six symptoms total, including at least two symptoms of qualitative impairment in social interaction, at least one symptom of qualitative impairment in communication, and at least one symptom of restricted and repetitive behavior."

Can you tell us how many of the people on this list
fit the description of clinical autism? Could the right
answer be zero?

Famous Atheists

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 11th, 2011 at 9:50:40 PM permalink
Sorry, but I can not. I simply don't know these people personally. However if they were to take the AQ test, then you'd like find that some of them were indeed autistic. Again, I'm not saying that someone that's agnostic is likely autistic. Really what I'm trying to say is that there is a higher rate of autism among devout atheists than there is among non atheists.
ikilledjerrylogan
ikilledjerrylogan
October 11th, 2011 at 9:51:36 PM permalink
Angelina Jolie (#56) is definitely autistic. I tested her myself.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
October 11th, 2011 at 9:55:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

No.

Hah.

Actually, I do think the list of things one could believe in is endless once you abandon reason and evidence. So, why stop at a god?

Well, if you just abandon evidence, really. Reasoning can be really intricate and precise, yet wrong if it's based on bad information.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

• Jump to: