Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:32:23 AM permalink
Quote: bw

I wouldn't be surprised to find that many of them are gay themselves. So it is a self hatred.

Well test done http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/homophobic-maybe-youre-gay.html?_r=0 have shown that many self identified super straight homophobes are actually a little bit gay.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:33:34 AM permalink

I wouldn't be surprised to find that many of them are gay themselves. So it is a self hatred.

I've never understood why I hear people say this so often. It's like saying that atheists are closet Christians who hate themselves. *facepalm*
Fighting BS one post at a time!
bw
bw
  • Threads: 6
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:40:26 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

I've never understood why I hear people say this so often. It's like saying that atheists are closet Christians who hate themselves. *facepalm*

Why so many people say this so often? Because it is often true.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:44:56 AM permalink

Why so many people say this so often? Because it is often true.

It's true because you say it is? I get it now.
bw
bw
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:49:23 AM permalink

It's true because you say it is? I get it now.

What about studies such as the NY times article mentioned above?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:52:38 AM permalink

What about studies such as the NY times article mentioned above?

Yeah, and if I search hard enough, I can also find "studies" that support pretty much anything.

Seriously, 45% of America opposes gay marriage. You're really going to argue the absurd, ridiculous point that 45% of the American population is made up of self-hating gays (when the gay population itself is 3% max)?
Twirdman
Twirdman
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:01:18 AM permalink

Yeah, and if I search hard enough, I can also find "studies" that support pretty much anything.

Seriously, 45% of America opposes gay marriage. You're really going to argue the absurd, ridiculous point that 45% of the American population is made up of self-hating gays when the gay population is 3% max?

Well actually gay population is significantly higher then 3% since 3.5% self identify as either gay or bisexual. Also again saying there is a correlation does not mean everyone in the population has to fit in. For instance African Americans are significantly more likely to suffer from sickle cell anemia than non Africans that does not mean every African American has sickle cell anemia. Similarly saying homophobes are predisposed to homosexual thoughts does not mean every homophobe is homosexual. For instance say 4% of the population is homosexual if 6% of homophobes were homosexual that would mean they are statistically more likely to be homosexual but are not very likely to be homosexual. I mean 6% is only 1/16. These numbers are all made up clearly but they were chosen to illustrate the point that saying the study is wrong because obviously 45% of the population isn't gay is a strawman.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:04:58 AM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Well actually gay population is...

[mercifully snipped the attempted shift]

Haha...I KNEW you'd reply. I swear, you and ams288 pop up out of nowhere whenever gay issues or asexual issues are being discussed. :D
bw
bw
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:15:08 AM permalink

Seriously, 45% of America opposes gay marriage. You're really going to argue the absurd, ridiculous point that 45% of the American population is made up of self-hating gays (when the gay population itself is 3% max)?

Well I guess we can't really believe anything, since pretty much you can find a study that supports the opposing view.
Twirdman
Twirdman
March 22nd, 2014 at 8:15:18 AM permalink

Quote: Twirdman

Well actually gay population is...

[mercifully snipped the attempted shift]

Haha...I KNEW you'd reply. I swear, you and ams288 pop up out of nowhere whenever gay issues or asexual issues are being discussed. :D

You realize this is the first gay issue I've popped into for a while and I was in the post about mathematical fallacy along with numerous other post right. Hardly popping up out of no where. Also you said something that was wrong and I corrected you on it. You thought predisposed or more likely to be meant guaranteed to be and that is blatantly false so I corrected you.

• Jump to: