is suicidal, the entire country is on welfare and
this is hurting them bad. Awwwwww....
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
December 4th, 2014 at 3:24:37 AM permalink
Quote: ten2win

$2.39.9 @ Sam's Club in Albuquerque for 86 Octane Regular/Gallon.

That includes my 5 Cent Member Discount.

This begs a side question, does anyone know why pump gas is 1 octane lower in the west than in the east? In the east it will be 87 but in the west it was often 86.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 303
December 4th, 2014 at 3:34:07 AM permalink
I don't know re 86/87

but I've appointed myself the "begs the question" police. You mean "raises a side question"

don't feel bad, I see very educated people make this mistake, and I only knew different recently myself. The problem is a bad translation from the original Greek, I believe, of the expression. The meaning is "your argument is faulty, it is a circular argument"

it drives you nuts once you know. The best thing is to just not use the expression.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
December 4th, 2014 at 9:38:15 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

This begs a side question, does anyone know why pump gas is 1 octane lower in the west than in the east? In the east it will be 87 but in the west it was often 86.

In general, the higher the altitude the less octane is needed to burn correctly. If you go to mountainous areas you will still see a lot of 85 octane fuel.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
December 4th, 2014 at 12:21:12 PM permalink
They also increase the amount of Ethanol this time of year.

It's called the"Winter Blend".

Something to do with air pollution reduction.

Usually, November until April or May, IIRC.

Along with that comes a concomitant drop in MPG.
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
December 4th, 2014 at 1:11:38 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

In general, the higher the altitude the less octane is needed to burn correctly. If you go to mountainous areas you will still see a lot of 85 octane fuel.

Makes sense though your logic might be backwards. Octane is about keeping fuel from burning, so less oxygen in higher altitudes means already harder to burn. Never saw 85 but I will buy your explanation until I hear a better one. Thanks!

Quote: ten2win

They also increase the amount of Ethanol this time of year.

It's called the"Winter Blend".

Something to do with air pollution reduction.

Usually, November until April or May, IIRC.

Along with that comes a concomitant drop in MPG.

Yes, winter blend, also happens when you drive to different metros. Chicago has a special blend, which makes fuel prices higher there. Back in the 1980s this is why cars used to run bad if you got a warm-snap in the winter as they also used to adjust blends for weather and car performance. Not sure how much this is still the case.

FWIW and to show myself a total nerd, "winter blend" will actually raise but not lower octane. Ethanol has really high octane. But people think higher octane = more power. This is not the case, octane level and "energy level" are not related. The reason performance cars use high octane gas, along with fighter planes of WWII, is resistance to combustion. Said engines have high compression which gives higher power, but higher compression makes gasoline want to combust before the spark.

Now that I have beaten that into the ground, back to your regularly scheduled discussions of bringing back nuked members and freeing Pete Rose.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
December 4th, 2014 at 1:29:06 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Never saw 85.

Every station here, near Denver, offers 85, 87, and 91.
I heart Crystal Math.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
December 9th, 2014 at 7:39:23 PM permalink
$2.29 in W MI. A month ago they were
lined up for $2.85, now nobody even
cares, all their tanks are full.

http://www.kalamazoogasprices.com/
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 209
December 9th, 2014 at 10:01:48 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

$2.29 in W MI. A month ago they were
lined up for $2.85, now nobody even
cares, all their tanks are full.

http://www.kalamazoogasprices.com/

$2.75 in Ohio. We kind of get ripped off since Sheetz took over I think and prices here aren't as low as they used to be because they control the price. Employees at other stations have told me they only match their price and never make the first move lower so it all depends on Sheetz.
The only time I laugh about gas is when I see people topping their tanks paying to give the gas back to the station free. I get angry when the stations charge for air though. Wasted gas from poorly inflated tires just gets delayed spent and shouldn't be seen as a lost profit. Some stations have free air with gas purchase but some don't.
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the care taker. Hold my beer.
aladyat42
aladyat42
  • Threads: 1
December 9th, 2014 at 10:28:25 PM permalink
1 can of baked beans.

• Jump to: