AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:35:25 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Quote: AlanMendelson

I strongly expect if this happened, Alan would have a new gripe that he’s not ranked as highly as he deserves.
link to original post

Don't try to insult me.
link to original post

Wasn’t planning on it. Peace and happiness to you sir.
link to original post

Yes you tried to insult me by questioning my motives.
If you weren't then justify your post.
link to original post

Don’t patronize me Alan.
link to original post

Don't bs me.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:42:07 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

How ironic Dieter.

How many times have you told me you're looking into my threads being hijacked by a particular forum member?

Never was a warning posted.

But I have one technical problem and you jump on me.
link to original post

I honestly wasn't sure if it was a technical problem, thus the friendly-as-I-could-muster reminder.
link to original post

You still haven't addressed the thread hijacker, but you made a weak attempt to justify your warning here.

I call bs.
link to original post

I've reviewed the message content and timestamps. Based on my observations and familiarity with how previous technical difficulties have appeared, I have made reasonable inferences about what likely happened.

Back atcha.
link to original post

The time stamps don't tell you when the posts became visible to me on my end.

Back atcha.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:44:17 PM permalink
This is a great conversation.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:11:44 PM permalink
Alan, you posted 9 consecutive messages -five of them with identical text, but the other four posts with slight variations in the wording - which is not explainable as a mere technical error in the posting system. Looking at all the timestamp evidence (20 second time intervals between posts)., I strongly agree with Dieter that this was a stunt to show that quantity of posts is not as important as quality of posts -which was indeed the topic of the thread. While your stunt was on-topic, the issue, from my outlook as a moderator, is that you have trashed this thread with your nine consecutive posts by making it less readable.

We do understand that sometimes our posting system will double-post or triple post the same message and that a forum member can be completely innocent in that kind of situation. But there is enough here for a ruling of deliberate intent. So, I am reiterating Dieter's warning. In the future, we are not going to tolerate a repetition of this kind of sequence of nearly identical posts by you or any other member - a sequence that appears to be deliberate multiple posting.

By the way, I also find it unusual that a member is complaining about getting a warning.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:11:51 PM permalink
Alan, you posted 9 consecutive messages -five of them with identical text, but the other four posts with slight variations in the wording - which is not explainable as a mere technical error in the posting system. Looking at all the timestamp evidence (20 second time intervals between posts)., I strongly agree with Dieter that this was a stunt to show that quantity of posts is not as important as quality of posts -which was indeed the topic of the thread. While your stunt was on-topic, the issue, from my outlook as a moderator, is that you have trashed this thread with your nine consecutive posts by making it less readable.

We do understand that sometimes our posting system will double-post or triple post the same message and that a forum member can be completely innocent in that kind of situation. But there is enough here for a ruling of deliberate intent. So, I am reiterating Dieter's warning. In the future, we are not going to tolerate a repetition of this kind of sequence of nearly identical posts by you or any other member - a sequence that appears to be deliberate multiple posting.

By the way, I also find it unusual that a member is complaining about getting a warning.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
UsernameRemorseFinsRule
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:11:51 PM permalink
Alan, you posted 9 consecutive messages -five of them with identical text, but the other four posts with slight variations in the wording - which is not explainable as a mere technical error in the posting system. Looking at all the timestamp evidence (14 to 20 second time intervals between posts), I strongly agree with Dieter that this was a stunt to show that quantity of posts is not as important as quality of posts -which was indeed the topic of the thread. While your stunt was on-topic, the issue, from my outlook as a moderator, is that you have trashed this thread with your nine consecutive posts by making it less readable.

AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:44:30 PM permalink
Gordon your post appeared THREE TIMES.

I suggest you read the private message I sent to Dieter.

I'll excerpt my part of it in my next post.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:48:19 PM permalink
Excerpt from my explanation to Dieter follows. Meanwhile Gordon's identical post appears three times:

The posts in question did not appear on my computer. Probably an error with my ISP.

So I posted again... and again... thinking my posts were not being accepted.

You jumped to the conclusion I was making intentional multiple posts... not knowing there might have been a problem with my ISP.

More importantly there was NOTHING negative about my posts but you came down on me anyway.

--- end of excerpt ---

Gordon also note that Wizard's identical post appears twice in the MGM vig thread.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
Thanked by
Dieter
October 24th, 2022 at 12:21:26 AM permalink
Just edit your redundant posts with "Duplicate Message redacted by User" or "deleted." It won't bring your post count down, but who cares.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
rawtuff
October 24th, 2022 at 2:41:54 AM permalink
To whom it may concern:

Friendly reminder that it is possible to click the Post button once, and then wait.

After the process completes, you can try Control-F5 (Mac?Command-Shift-R) to force a page reload, if your post doesn't seem to appear.
May the cards fall in your favor.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
Thanked by
rawtuffFinsRuleMission146RayFinkle
October 24th, 2022 at 5:49:42 AM permalink
It really would have been funny if Alan had made 18 identical posts in a row.

And then argued what the odds of that were.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
RideTheEdge
October 24th, 2022 at 6:20:21 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

link to original post

Great post! I think Alan posting the 9 identical/similar posts was an acceptable way to make a point THIS ONE TIME. Repeating the same tactic by him should be suspendable. I’ve thought of doing the same myself! I feel like I post here ALL THE TIME and I still haven’t made the top 10.

As far as value, I think if I had to rate the ‘value’ of a poster the number of zero value grades would be staggering!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 24th, 2022 at 7:32:30 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

Great post! I think Alan posting the 9 identical/similar posts was an acceptable way to make a point THIS ONE TIME. Repeating the same tactic by him should be suspendable. I’ve thought of doing the same myself! I feel like I post here ALL THE TIME and I still haven’t made the top 10.

As far as value, I think if I had to rate the ‘value’ of a poster the number of zero value grades would be staggering!
link to original post

Every post is sacred, and every poster is valued.,I'll admit sometimes it is hard to see the value of a particular post or even postee but that's when you need to squint really hard and catch the post at just the right angle..
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2022 at 7:34:08 AM permalink

To whom it may concern:

Friendly reminder that it is possible to click the Post button once, and then wait.

After the process completes, you can try Control-F5 (Mac?Command-Shift-R) to force a page reload, if your post doesn't seem to appear.
link to original post

Who has time for that?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 24th, 2022 at 7:37:57 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

To whom it may concern:

link to original post

Who has time for that?
link to original post

Seems faster than repeatedly retyping a post.
Many people (or perhaps their personal assistants, transcribing their dictation) seem to manage just fine.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 24th, 2022 at 7:50:50 AM permalink
Knock
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 24th, 2022 at 7:50:55 AM permalink
Knock
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 24th, 2022 at 7:53:53 AM permalink
Duplicate who?

Anyway, weren't there 750,000 posts to sift through for quality control? And global thermal nuclear war starts next month if not sooner.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 24th, 2022 at 7:54:23 AM permalink

I call bs.
link to original post

(Quote clipped, relevance)

What the hell needs justification? I like you, but I'm going to call out that you're behaving ridiculously. Let's look at your posts...all quotes are AlanMendelson:

Quote:

Good points are being made here.

Quote:

Very good points are being made here.

Quote:

I like the points being made here.

The above three posts were made in under a minute. Were these a technical glitch?

Did you really need to create a totally separate post just to add a superlative? You can't edit a superlative into the post that you have already created? Also, the fact that you called the points both, 'Good,' and, 'Very good,' implies that you liked those points.

If the point that you're trying to make is that it's easy to get in the Top 10 posters by making a bunch of unnecessary and meaningless posts, then just say that. We all know that it's true---how do you think I got to my spot?

The only post that a technical glitch would excuse is the repeated, "Keep up the good work," so you can't even make that claim as to other posts.

Hey, I like you, you know that, but you do weird stuff sometimes. I'd have just given you a three day timeout and went on with my day. I wouldn't really feel the need to defend my decision on that one.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
rawtuff
October 24th, 2022 at 7:59:56 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

Thanks.

If there was a vote of merit based contribution I hope I would still be on the top ten.

From gambling science fiction to gambling book reviews and advantage play non-fiction both about me and associates I would hope I have added value to the forum
Mission146
Mission146
October 24th, 2022 at 8:01:25 AM permalink
Can we just let Alan create a thread where he posts something small 20,096 times and then either hide or delete the thread? I feel like if he wants #1 that badly, then he will have certainly earned it.

Also, why is this even still a conversation? Keep the Top 10, get rid of the Top 10; I don't really care. I know, I know, it's going to be much harder to prove out my resume' when they have to dig more deeply than the home page to see that my poster ranking is what I claim it is, but I can deal with that.

Mainly, just make sure there's an easy way to find users by name. I often need to find a post from a specific person and cannot always recall the thread title.

Also, arguing that we should get rid of the Top 10 lists and that the Top 10 list is easy to reach are totally different arguments from each other.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 24th, 2022 at 8:04:47 AM permalink
Instead of focusing on my one-line posts, would the forum and the moderators explain how this post by a moderator appears three times in succession:

Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

Mission146
Mission146
October 24th, 2022 at 8:06:10 AM permalink

Instead of focusing on my one-line posts, would the forum and the moderators explain how this post by a moderator appears three times in succession:

link to original post

link to original post

Did it escape your attention that the bottom two have the same exact timestamp? That is definitely a glitch.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 24th, 2022 at 8:06:36 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Why would anyone care who the top contributors are? That would be too subjective.
link to original post

I agree. The "leaderboard" should be done away with completely. It's pointless.

Either that, or rank people by the number of "thank yous" they have acquired. At least that shows some semblance of useful information.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 24th, 2022 at 8:07:27 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

link to original post

link to original post

Did it escape your attention that the bottom two have the same exact timestamp? That is definitely a glitch.
link to original post

But first of the three has a different time stamp.
Mission146
Mission146
October 24th, 2022 at 8:08:46 AM permalink

link to original post

I know; that's why I said the bottom two. My guess is the screen hung up and he clicked, "Submit," again and it submitted twice. When that happens to me, I just delete the duplicate(s) right away, but you'd have to ask him why he didn't.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 24th, 2022 at 8:10:24 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: DRich

Why would anyone care who the top contributors are? That would be too subjective.
link to original post

I agree. The "leaderboard" should be done away with completely. It's pointless.

Either that, or rank people by the number of "thank yous" they have acquired. At least that shows some semblance of useful information.
link to original post

Posting here is such a thankless job. Why would you base rankings on thank-yous?
Tiger Wu has been here 2 years longer than me and I'll never catch up to the number of posts TigerWu has got, mostly because I haven't already.

But I could be a contender for the Top 3 if I was here for 12 years like EvenBob has been.

Current Top 10 list today, this minute, at 11:31 AM EDT on 10/24/2022. Seems like there's serious competition for 7th place!
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Oct 24, 2022
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 24th, 2022 at 8:13:41 AM permalink

link to original post

I know; that's why I said the bottom two. My guess is the screen hung up and he clicked, "Submit," again and it submitted twice. When that happens to me, I just delete the duplicate(s) right away, but you'd have to ask him why he didn't.
link to original post

Have you read my explanation for what I did?
Are you calling me a liar?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 24th, 2022 at 8:19:39 AM permalink
This post by Wizard appears twice in the MGM vig thread. The two identical posts are only seconds apart... in a time frame that one could have been deleted.

Quote: Wizard

Quote: WABJ11

All the MGM properties have finally changed to no charge on vig/juice up front for craps buys and lay bets. They only charge AFTER the win. This reduces the house edge by half and is a big deal.
link to original post

Sorry for the late arrival.

First, it's my understanding as someone who very rarely plays craps that most casinos do the following:

6 and 8 -- pay the 7/6 place bet odds
5 and 9 -- pay the 7/5 place bet odds
4 and 10 -- charge 5%, based on the bet amount, after a win only, for bets of $20 or more. For less, they pay 9/5 place bet odds.

I see this policy affecting the 5 and 9 only.

The 7/5 place bet odds have a house edge of 4.00%.
If the commission were always charged, the house edge would be 4.76%.
If the commission were charged on wins only, the house edge would be 2.00%.

I'll try to verify this my next visit to an MGM property, but until then, who can confirm that MGM properties charge the Vig after a win only on the 5 and 9?
link to original post

darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
Mission146
October 24th, 2022 at 8:20:46 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Wow

How did you arrive at Mission calling you a liar?
Mission146
Mission146
October 24th, 2022 at 8:23:52 AM permalink

link to original post

If I wanted to call you a liar, then I would just do it. Do you think my life would end if I got suspended for a few days?

What I will say is that engaging in discourse with you seems to be a complete and total waste of my time right now, so I will cease to do that for awhile. Have a good whatever length of time transpires until I decide that engaging you is a thing worth my time doing again.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
Thanked by
Mission146
October 24th, 2022 at 8:30:22 AM permalink
How about top contributors have to have been here for 13 years, never been suspended, and have at least 3800 posts?

This is just such a silly thing to worry about.

Whenever I’m here too long, I remember why I leave.

I’ve got my trip coming up in a few weeks and I’ll probably go on my usual hiatus again after that.
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
FinsRule
October 24th, 2022 at 8:31:46 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

How about top contributors have to have been here for 13 years, never been suspended, and have at least 3800 posts?

This is just such a silly thing to worry about.

Whenever I’m here too long, I remember why I leave.

I’ve got my trip coming up in a few weeks and I’ll probably go on my usual hiatus again after that.
link to original post

Isn't that the truth? Whenever I spend too much time talking to people, in general, I quickly recall why I mostly avoid it.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 24th, 2022 at 8:39:35 AM permalink

link to original post

If I wanted to call you a liar, then I would just do it. Do you think my life would end if I got suspended for a few days?

What I will say is that engaging in discourse with you seems to be a complete and total waste of my time right now, so I will cease to do that for awhile. Have a good whatever length of time transpires until I decide that engaging you is a thing worth my time doing again.
link to original post

This is fine by me because what happened with me was also a glitch. And there was no need for the discussion that followed once I posted what happened with me and how my posts weren't appearing.

But is my explanation enough? No, it never is.
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2022 at 9:15:28 AM permalink
You seem angry. You shouldn’t post when you are upset.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 24th, 2022 at 12:39:04 PM permalink
I left here for 10 months and just came back a short time ago. I was the number one poster when I left and when I came back I was still number one. You people just aren't working hard enough. I gave you 10 months, what more do you want.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
mcallister3200BillHasRetiredSOOPOO
October 24th, 2022 at 12:55:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I left here for 10 months and just came back a short time ago. I was the number one poster when I left and when I came back I was still number one. You people just aren't working hard enough. I gave you 10 months, what more do you want.
link to original post

More than 10 months.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
DRich
October 24th, 2022 at 1:52:07 PM permalink

link to original post

Quality not quantity.

Say less, mean more.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 24th, 2022 at 2:06:44 PM permalink

link to original post

Quality not quantity.

Say less, mean more.
link to original post

To dream the impossible dream.....
billryan
billryan
October 24th, 2022 at 2:36:59 PM permalink

link to original post

Give them another ten months.
darkoz
darkoz
October 24th, 2022 at 4:21:07 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Agreed.

But please set your clock forward 12 months so we don't actually see you for 22 months.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2022 at 10:36:24 PM permalink

link to original post

Quality not quantity.

Say less, mean more.
link to original post

That's your new plan? When are you going to start it? We are all wondering what it will look like. Means you will be posting once or twice a month, oh well.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2022 at 10:38:44 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

Quality not quantity.

Say less, mean more.
link to original post

To dream the impossible dream.....
link to original post

So you have trouble with it also. I understand, best to just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about it. Forgettable post is better than no post it all. And I've already forgotten what you said in this one.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2022 at 10:40:41 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Agreed.

But please set your clock forward 12 months so we don't actually see you for 22 months.
link to original post

Is this one of your quality over quantity posts? I'm afraid I'm not seeing it. Of course one man's quality is another man's belly laugh.
darkoz
darkoz
October 24th, 2022 at 10:58:58 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Agreed.

link to original post

Is this one of your quality over quantity posts? I'm afraid I'm not seeing it. Of course one man's quality is another man's belly laugh.
link to original post

Awww I hurt poor EB feelings so now he has to strike back with multiple posts. Because quantity is better than quality in his mind.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 24th, 2022 at 11:48:46 PM permalink

Awww I hurt poor EB feelings so now he has to strike back with multiple posts. Because quantity is better than quality in his mind.
link to original post

I just find it humorous anybody would think that there are quality posts on an internet gambling forum. That's a bit of an oxymoron don't you think.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 232
October 25th, 2022 at 4:43:08 AM permalink

I just find it humorous anybody would think that there are quality posts on an internet gambling forum.

the only logical conclusion to make from your statement above is this:

𝙔𝙊𝙐 𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉 𝘽𝙀𝙇𝙄𝙀𝙑𝙀 𝙔𝙊𝙐𝙍 𝙊𝙒𝙉 𝙋𝙊𝙎𝙏𝙎 𝙃𝘼𝙑𝙀 𝙉𝙊 𝙌𝙐𝘼𝙇𝙄𝙏𝙔

Please don't feed the trolls
darkoz
darkoz
October 25th, 2022 at 7:39:22 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I just find it humorous anybody would think that there are quality posts on an internet gambling forum.

the only logical conclusion to make from your statement above is this:

𝙔𝙊𝙐 𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉 𝘽𝙀𝙇𝙄𝙀𝙑𝙀 𝙔𝙊𝙐𝙍 𝙊𝙒𝙉 𝙋𝙊𝙎𝙏𝙎 𝙃𝘼𝙑𝙀 𝙉𝙊 𝙌𝙐𝘼𝙇𝙄𝙏𝙔

link to original post

Yeah what an insult to the whole WOV community and to the Wizard who posts here regularly mathematical analysis.
billryan
billryan
October 25th, 2022 at 8:21:41 AM permalink
Perhaps the people who object to the top ten poster list and wish to see it removed could come up with a replacement for it. Right now, it is featured real estate on the home page. Should it be replaced by paid advertising? By a sexy picture of the Wiz? By a group photo of the latest meet-up?
Come up with a better use of the space, and your suggestions might gain traction.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 25th, 2022 at 9:22:41 AM permalink

Perhaps the people who object to the top ten poster list and wish to see it removed could come up with a replacement for it. Right now, it is featured real estate on the home page. Should it be replaced by paid advertising? By a sexy picture of the Wiz? By a group photo of the latest meet-up?
Come up with a better use of the space, and your suggestions might gain traction.
link to original post

I am now struggling to remove mental imagery of staff boudoir photos from my consciousness.

Please let me suggest "no" to randomly selected uploaded photos. Some of that material was not intended to ever be forum-public.
  • Jump to: