AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:08:02 AM permalink
I suggest changing the method for ranking the top contributors.

Currently the rankings only reflect the number of posts, including posts that lack any worthwhile content.

Top contributors should be those who bring important content to the forum.

I suggest you remove the current rankings and then let the moderators reward worthwhile posts with a top contributor vote when a post is worthy of one.

Argumentative posts, posts that are repetitive, posts without substantial content, posts that are off topic, would no longer count towards the top contributor rankings.

This way we'll know who the true top contributors are and would eliminate the spammers.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:10:23 AM permalink
Some people have 50,000 tweets. What are you talking about?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:28:00 AM permalink
Why would anyone care who the top contributors are? That would be too subjective.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:48:22 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Why would anyone care who the top contributors are? That would be too subjective.
link to original post

Then why are they listed on the website?
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:54:37 AM permalink
So we know who the usual suspects are.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 23rd, 2022 at 5:31:38 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

I suggest you remove the current rankings and then let the moderators reward worthwhile posts with a top contributor vote when a post is worthy of one.
link to original post

You seem to be proposing an increase to my colleagues' workload.

What kind of compensation adjustment should they expect? +300%?
May the cards fall in your favor.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
October 23rd, 2022 at 5:36:49 AM permalink
Well, it comes down to Quantity ( objective ) vs Quality ( subjective ).

I think most of the regular forum members have already formulated opinions for themselves on which other members contribute QUALITY in terms of the most useful, interesting, or entertaining posts.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 5:46:17 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

Who are you working for as a moderator?

If you worked for me when I had my website I would have given you a percentage of the ad revenue to maintain the site's quality.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 23rd, 2022 at 6:28:42 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Who are you working for as a moderator?

If you worked for me when I had my website I would have given you a percentage of the ad revenue to maintain the site's quality.
link to original post

You are the one proposing the change. Just trying to figure out how juicy the carrot is.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 23rd, 2022 at 6:38:27 AM permalink
Ain't nobody got time for this.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
October 23rd, 2022 at 6:56:47 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I'd open the rankings up to a peer-reviewed system. The occasional poster must know they are as valued and respected as our #1 poster. A valued community member has made a valid suggestion, and a spirited but respectful discussion is merited.
Perhaps the moderators won't mind the additional workload once they recognize how the new ranking system will contribute to the betterment of our forum and society in general.

O.W.L.A.R.

Offered with love and respect.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:08:01 AM permalink
Or we could just reset the Top 10 board to most posts since January 1, 2020 and make it the "Top 10 of the '20's." But I think it would screw up overall post counts for individual users.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:54:27 AM permalink
Sometimes just leaving things alone is the right decision.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:58:11 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

I'd open the rankings up to a peer-reviewed system. The occasional poster must know they are as valued and respected as our #1 poster. A valued community member has made a valid suggestion, and a spirited but respectful discussion is merited.
Perhaps the moderators won't mind the additional workload once they recognize how the new ranking system will contribute to the betterment of our forum and society in general.

O.W.L.A.R.

link to original post

So, forum members would be able to form alliances and vote each other to remain on the island?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:19:19 AM permalink
They already offer door prizes for "interesting" posters here, as in, "don't let the door hit you on the way out".
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
SOOPOO
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:47:32 AM permalink
Just clean the list up. Right now you've got a dead guy, and somebody else who hasn't posted since 2017 in the top 10 list. Neither one are coming back.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:57:07 AM permalink
In theory, both will eventually be overtaken. Not that the Top 10 Posters list should ever really matter to anyone, but to what extent it does matter to some people, (for reasons beyond my comprehension) wouldn't it be a bit disrespectful to remove someone from the list for dying?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:06:11 AM permalink
After reading the comments it appears to me that the list of top posters serves no purpose.

Why is it there?

Thirty years ago forums had a list of top posters to recognize participation and to prompt participation. Hasn't this forum advanced at all from that?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
JohnnyQ
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:16:02 AM permalink

After reading the comments it appears to me that the list of top posters serves no purpose.

Why is it there?

Thirty years ago forums had a list of top posters to recognize participation and to prompt participation. Hasn't this forum advanced at all from that?
link to original post

No, we're somehow just behind the rapid technological and social advancements that other forums have enjoyed.

Anyway, it does have a purpose that's not as clear as it could be. Clicking on, "Top Contributors," takes you to the page used for searching people by name. I guess you could just have a link that says, "User Search," or some such, but this seems like a way to highlight the Top Ten posters and link to that function. I also think that it tells people that the Forum is historically active in the sense that you have people with five digit and high four digit post counts.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:30:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

O.W.L.A.R.

link to original post

So, forum members would be able to form alliances and vote each other to remain on the island?
link to original post

I was leaning towards suggesting a peer-voting system similar to one that works very well for a tech forum I visit on a daily basis but now I'm thinking it wouldn't work for WoV. Dieter's right about the risk of cliques forming. The problem is that WoV is a very small community. The other forum has a much larger set of active users so cliques can't as easily have an impact.

Why is it there?

link to original post

How about replacing it with a "Wall of Remembrance" for past members who are no longer around. I can think of a couple obvious candidates (e.g., PaiGowDan).
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
Mission146
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:34:56 AM permalink
I think it’s there to make sure we haven’t dropped below 10 members.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan 
Thanked by
SOOPOO
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:39:42 AM permalink
With apologies....

I wake up each morning, and dust off my wits
Open the Wizard and read the top list.
If I am there, then I know I'm not Red
so I eat a big breakfast and go back to bed.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
UsernameRemorse
UsernameRemorse
  • Threads: 1
October 23rd, 2022 at 12:04:03 PM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

I was leaning towards suggesting a peer-voting system similar to one that works very well for a tech forum I visit on a daily basis but now I'm thinking it wouldn't work for WoV.
link to original post

Y Combinator's Hacker News? Their peer-voting system seems to work very well.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
October 23rd, 2022 at 1:29:20 PM permalink
Quote: UsernameRemorse

Quote: TumblingBones

I was leaning towards suggesting a peer-voting system similar to one that works very well for a tech forum I visit on a daily basis but now I'm thinking it wouldn't work for WoV.
link to original post

Y Combinator's Hacker News? Their peer-voting system seems to work very well.
link to original post

Ars Technica
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
billryan
billryan 
October 23rd, 2022 at 1:38:54 PM permalink
Fifteen years ago, on a comic forum, the members could rate both the post and the poster. One guy tried to game the system and created dozens of ids daily to give five stars to his threads and one to almost everything else. People caught on, and when moderation did nothing, they started creating their own shills to give five stars. It was ridiculous, but the site liked all the new members as they did nothing. It got to the point where fifty members would visit the sight on any day, but 600 new members would join.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:24:28 PM permalink

Fifteen years ago, on a comic forum, the members could rate both the post and the poster. One guy tried to game the system and created dozens of ids daily to give five stars to his threads and one to almost everything else. People caught on, and when moderation did nothing, they started creating their own shills to give five stars. It was ridiculous, but the site liked all the new members as they did nothing. It got to the point where fifty members would visit the sight on any day, but 600 new members would join.
link to original post

Like most people, I'm too busy to rate every post I read.

I started wondering if someone might start a poll of the top ten most prolific contributors, asking for votes for which ones have value. But I would discourage that and I suspect we moderators would put the kibosh on that. I don't think polls should be about forum members.

I will make some positive statements though. I think that mission and gialmere deserve our thanks for their contributions. EdCollins does great work on the NFL picks contest and miplet has contributed many computational resources to the forum in the past. Pokergrinder for his trip reports, of course. I have noticed a significant swing in BillRyan's posts over the past 18 months or so, and he sometimes writes some of the most literate and informative posts on obscure topics - I really enjoy them. I'm not a big poker chips guy, but I'm grateful for the guys who work on that thread. Thatdonguy and charliepatrick have posted many math-oriented contributions along with others.

These are just off the top of my head, please don't be hurt if I left your name off of that list. I'm busy, maybe others could add some of the names I missed.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:26:13 PM permalink
Good points are being made here.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:26:39 PM permalink
Very good points are being made here.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:27:05 PM permalink
I like the points being made here.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:27:34 PM permalink
Keep up the good work.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:27:44 PM permalink
Keep up the good work.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:28:03 PM permalink
Keep up the good work.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:28:26 PM permalink
Keep up the good work.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:28:52 PM permalink
Keep up the good work.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:30:13 PM permalink
I have other thoughts but I can't reveal them.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:31:19 PM permalink

I have other thoughts but I can't reveal them.
link to original post

Has your account been hacked? Hard to follow what your string of posts is responding to.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan 
October 23rd, 2022 at 3:51:47 PM permalink
I'd prefer suspended members appear in red rather than disappear but it's a minor concern.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mission146
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:43:07 PM permalink

Keep up the good work.
link to original post

Alan,

Very friendly reminder about the rule that says "Don't post the same thing more than once."

I'll quote it and link below.

Quote: Rule 5

Do not post the same message more than once.

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 23rd, 2022 at 4:48:19 PM permalink

Keep up the good work.
link to original post

Alan,

Very friendly reminder about the rule that says "Don't post the same thing more than once."

link to original post

Maybe he was trying to up his post count to get on the leaderboard. How meta.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 23rd, 2022 at 5:31:10 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Keep up the good work.
link to original post

Alan,

link to original post

Maybe he was trying to up his post count to get on the leaderboard. How meta.
link to original post

Did I overlook that carveout in the rule text?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 6:11:43 PM permalink
How ironic Dieter.

How many times have you told me you're looking into my threads being hijacked by a particular forum member?

Never was a warning posted.

But I have one technical problem and you jump on me.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:20:34 PM permalink

How ironic Dieter.

How many times have you told me you're looking into my threads being hijacked by a particular forum member?

link to original post

I honestly wasn't sure if it was a technical problem, thus the friendly-as-I-could-muster reminder.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
Thanked by
rsactuary
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:20:50 PM permalink
Here's a few ideas that would require minimum programming and be fully automated so as not to increase the workload of the mods...

1) Create a new top 10 list for most thanked users. I don't know how fair it would be but it at least ranks people by considering a different type of criteria.

2) Create a new top 10 list for hot users. This one only considers how many posts people have made in the last 30 days (or perhaps 3 months).

To be honest, I would support eliminating user rankings unless there's some sort of tournament taking place.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:51:34 PM permalink
I strongly expect if this happened, Alan would have a new gripe that he’s not ranked as highly as he deserves.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:55:06 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I strongly expect if this happened, Alan would have a new gripe that he’s not ranked as highly as he deserves.
link to original post

Don't try to insult me.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 7:56:49 PM permalink

How ironic Dieter.

link to original post

I honestly wasn't sure if it was a technical problem, thus the friendly-as-I-could-muster reminder.
link to original post

You still haven't addressed the thread hijacker, but you made a weak attempt to justify your warning here.

I call bs.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:01:36 PM permalink

link to original post

Don't try to insult me.
link to original post

Wasn’t planning on it. Peace and happiness to you sir.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:21:28 PM permalink

link to original post

Don't try to insult me.
link to original post

link to original post

Yes you tried to insult me by questioning my motives.
If you weren't then justify your post.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:28:10 PM permalink

How ironic Dieter.

link to original post

link to original post

You still haven't addressed the thread hijacker, but you made a weak attempt to justify your warning here.

I call bs.
link to original post

I've reviewed the message content and timestamps. Based on my observations and familiarity with how previous technical difficulties have appeared, I have made reasonable inferences about what likely happened.

Back atcha.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:32:10 PM permalink

link to original post

Don't try to insult me.
link to original post

link to original post

Yes you tried to insult me by questioning my motives.
If you weren't then justify your post.
link to original post

Don’t patronize me Alan.
  • Jump to: