EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
June 17th, 2021 at 9:48:56 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Florida is #2 state for tourism

Who said it's number one. I said it gets a huge number of tourists every year, winter and summer. It's completely surrounded on three sides by the Great Lakes, duh. It has almost as much as shoreline as California. Shoreline means tourists.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
June 18th, 2021 at 3:43:29 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Michigan is so boring it's been a major vacation destination since the end of the Civil War. Tourism is a main source of Michigan income because it's so boring. Just one example. My wife and her sisters are from Michigan yet every year they stay for three nights and 4 days on Mackinac Island at the Grand Hotel. They love it they look forward to it, because it's so boring. There are so many tourist destinations in Michigan it takes a small book to list all of them. Do you want boring? Drive thru Iowa and Kansas one day.

On the average summer day thousands of people visit Mackinac Island via ferry, because a boat is the only way to get there. No cars allowed on the island, horse-drawn vehicles only. 2nd image is the Grand Hotel built in the late eighteen hundreds. It's spectacular and worth a trip to the island just to see it and go through it. It has the longest front porch of any building in the world, 660 feet. Six hundred horses work on the island. There are fifteen hundred bicycles. 70 miles of bike trails. 15 fudge shops. The first time you visit the history and the quaintness will knock your socks off. More than 15,000 people a day take the 20 minute ferry rides to the island. The ferry ride itself is kind of exciting because the water is always choppy, it's always chilly, the wind is always blowing, and it feels dangerous even though it's not.

Dude, I've been to those places, and they're boring. 15 fudge shops. Wow! Your post just confirms my point that some Michiganders have a totally twisted sense of what's interesting.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
June 18th, 2021 at 8:31:23 AM permalink
I go on a variety of different vacation types. Sometimes wifey wants the ‘boring’ type of vacation that Mackinaw Island is. I have friends who just love it there. Other times we’ll go to an ‘exciting’ trip like Cruise down the Rhine seeing lots of interesting cities. I go with friends on golf trips…. Which other than golfing are just sitting by a pool and eating. I won’t use the words boring or exciting. I think the word fun is better suited.

The words boring and exciting are so specific to an individual that to argue over it is silly.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 18th, 2021 at 8:55:29 AM permalink

Dude, I've been to those places, and they're boring.

I get it, I see what's boring here. It's not Michigan..

Goodbye Mr Blocked
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 18th, 2021 at 8:57:42 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I go on a variety of different vacation types. Sometimes wifey wants the ‘boring’ type of vacation that Mackinaw Island is. I have friends who just love it there. .

Like most places the more money you have to spend the better your time will be.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
June 18th, 2021 at 9:06:41 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Like most places the more money you have to spend the better your time will be.

One of the few statements where I agree with Bob.
Order from chaos
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 192
June 18th, 2021 at 11:58:57 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

One of the few statements where I agree with Bob.

As a general rule, I agree. However, the three weeks I backpacked in Jamaica will always be the pinnacle of my vacations.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
June 18th, 2021 at 1:08:29 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

As a general rule, I agree. However, the three weeks I backpacked in Jamaica will always be the pinnacle of my vacations.

Mine was renting sailboats in the Virgin Islands. Each boat had a captain and a chef and we had 10 incredible days sailing around to all the little islands with no itinerary.
Order from chaos
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 192
June 18th, 2021 at 2:55:23 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Mine was renting sailboats in the Virgin Islands. Each boat had a captain and a chef and we had 10 incredible days sailing around to all the little islands with no itinerary.

Nice. I've often thought of doing that.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 53
June 18th, 2021 at 3:04:35 PM permalink
"Thermal Shutdown" - Heat Wave Knocks Beta Starlink Users Offline | ZeroHedge
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/thermal-shutdown-heat-wave-knocks-beta-starlink-users-offline

• Jump to: