Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
September 11th, 2015 at 8:35:07 AM permalink
Since we didn't know exactly what was going on in those first few hours, hearing reports that fighter jets were flying over the capital was more than a bit disconcerting.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
September 11th, 2015 at 9:17:32 AM permalink
I was actually in the air when it all happened. Flying from DFW to MIA. We were close enough to MIA when the order came for all jets to be on the ground that we actually landed in MIA.

I had a phone call from my admin asking where I was, and she said... "ok good.. you're safe".. but didn't explain.. .and I thought it was odd as she hadn't done that before.

I remember going through the terminal and people crying and all the TV screens on a travel video of Toronto.

Didn't get an indication of what had truly gone on until my driver that picked me up told me. Couldn't get connected to CNN at work due to traffic, so didn't really have a grasp as to what happened until back at my hotel that afternoon.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 11th, 2015 at 1:29:06 PM permalink
I was on a day off, was up early as my mom was visiting, and we had the Today show on with the NY skyline live in the background while we played cards. Saw the smoke start to come from the North Tower in silhouette but had not seen the first plane. It was several minutes before the on-camera (Matt and Katie) "noticed" (guessing it was their EP's in their earpieces) and started speculating on-air.

My mom knew what it was the minute it happened; terrorism. I thought it was more likely an isolated incident/suicide, because not long before, that baseball player had misjudged the room he had in the skyscraper canyons and turned his airplane into a building, and they were reporting at first it was a twin-engine plane, not that it was an airliner. ("Twin-engine" means small General Aviation to me.) But the 2nd plane convinced me.

I called in to work (radar approach/tower) to see if they needed extra staffing, but they felt they did not, so closely followed the coverage on tv and stayed very active on our ATC webboard supporting those in position that day. Was involved in some of the follow-up CSM support and post-9/11 activities in Washington the next few weeks and months, also some major fundraising for survivors and families, but those activities don't need detailing here. My strongest memory of those events was flying in to work the first day DCA was re-opened and seeing the Pentagon in partial ruins, and then the enormous change in all the people and activities at HQ; there was no joy, no lightness, just a heavy and angry determination of purpose.

I, too, would admire and remember the extreme patriotism of the rescuers and responders. I am in awe of their courage and determination in their selfless sacrifices. My sorrow in the loss of so many under our care that day is tempered slightly by the extraordinary effort our controllers made in successfully and safely landing everything in the air except military defense within 150 minutes; that was a never-to-be-repeated event which stands alone in aviation ATC history for its scope and execution.

Anyone that's interested, here's what the system looked like during the events of 9/11. Go to 1:30 if you want to see the time-lapse without the bookmarks. Note, too, that there are more than twice as many aircraft in the air as you see here; these are just tracked IFR flights, not VFR's flying without assigned routes and altitudes, though all of them were grounded/landed in the same time frame.

If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
September 11th, 2015 at 1:45:24 PM permalink
I remeber exactly that day. I was in houston driving to university of Houston for class. The radio news reporter was giving the news with an unemotional tone. Which i felt was odd even though they are probably trained to be unemotional.
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 11th, 2015 at 3:38:15 PM permalink
I had just fallen asleep after a day long coke binge. My then g/f shook me awake just as I finally drifted off saying something about a plane. I couldn't figure out wtf she meant or why she was bothering me, but eventually understood a plane hit the WT. Like Babs, I assumed it was like a Piper Cub and basically said "So?", shooing her away so I could go back to sleep. She shook me awake minutes later all scattered, totally unlike her. I then came fully awake and started asking questions, her regaling me with what little facts there were. A plane. Not a Piper. A goddamn jet. John Denver / Peter, Paul, and Mary, that kind of plane.

Popped on TV to a smokey hole. Coke addled and sleep deprived mind trying to make sense of it all and not being able to. Not wanting to go where it shouldn't go. Where it couldn't go. Then Blammo. My mind went there. ATTACK.

I have almost no clear memories of that period of my life, but I remember that day. Sitting in the drug house, surrounded by all my user friends, all glued to the TV. Watching repeated replays of the second plane. Watching people jump on live TV. Hearing about PA. Hearing about the Pentagon. Watching one tower fall. Waiting for the other. Wondering what was going to come next.

Went there a few months later. Crews still digging the hole, still pulling out parts. Huge billboards choked to the borders "This is Bill, have you seen?" "This is Tina, have you seen?" Hundreds and hundreds of posters and names and faces. "Have you seen?"

Dead quiet. Downtown NYC, and it was dead quiet. Thousands of people stood around the hole, and you could hear whispered conversation as if spoken aloud. "I'm looking for...", "I knew....", "Haven't found...", "Have you seen....?"

Cracked sidewalks. Dented asphalt. Stains. Huge tarpaulins covering the holes in adjacent buildings. People tacking up even more posters. People holding up pictures. No words, no speech. Just a look on their face. "Have you seen?"

I saw. Too much, I saw.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 12th, 2015 at 4:44:47 AM permalink
Great 9/11 comments by all! Just as folks remember Pearl Harbor and President Kennedy's assassination, they will remember exactly where they were and what they were doing on September 11, 2001.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
rxwine
rxwine
September 12th, 2015 at 6:18:47 PM permalink
This is the chief excerpt of one of the reviews I just found for "The Martian". Movie by director Ridley Scott (Blade Runner), and starring Matt Damon.

Quote:

Probably the most fun you will ever have watching a bunch of nerds solve math problems.

Not sure if that means folks here will be grinding their teeth or guffawing. Certainly sets up some expectations.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 13th, 2015 at 6:09:00 PM permalink
Shoutout to djatc!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GBT37_yyzY
1BB
1BB
September 16th, 2015 at 8:45:31 AM permalink
A 103 year old Georgia woman has been kicked out of the church that she has attended for 93 years. Genora Hamm Biggs disagreed with some of her pastor's policies and was banned from the church that she has attended since 1923. I wonder if that church has a suspension list. It's not clear whether she had been suspended previously or if the church uses the Martingale system.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
September 16th, 2015 at 10:50:16 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

A 103 year old Georgia woman has been kicked out of the church that she has attended for 93 years. Genora Hamm Biggs disagreed with some of her pastor's policies and was banned from the church that she has attended since 1923. I wonder if that church has a suspension list. It's not clear whether she had been suspended previously or if the church uses the Martingale system.

"53 states in the Union" and you gotta pick on GA. Hah, hah, ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
rxwine
rxwine
September 16th, 2015 at 2:02:47 PM permalink

Churches are usually private property and can do what they want. Donations by members do not buy individual title rights to the property.

It's not a free speech issue here either.

Too bad, you should avoid making faulty comparisons.
1BB
1BB
September 16th, 2015 at 3:26:49 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Churches are usually private property and can do what they want. Donations by members do not buy individual title rights to the property.

It's not a free speech issue here either.

Too bad, you should avoid making faulty comparisons.

Regardless of the circumstances and regardless of your legal opinion, the treatment of this poor woman was unspeakable and I feel badly for her. When were you admitted to the State Bar of Georgia?

I was making no comparisons, faulty or otherwise. My comments were tongue and cheek and were recognized as such by those who read them and commented privately. It was a lighthearted attempt at humor and nothing more. As one of my most faithful followers I'm surprised that you couldn't see it.

Now you answer back and say "you did too" and I'll answer back and say "I did not" and we'll both raise our post counts. I just hope mom doesn't send us to bed with no supper.

Thank you for responding to yet another of my posts and thank you for the sage advice.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
September 17th, 2015 at 11:47:43 AM permalink
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/09/17/somerville-pity-party-union-square/
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
rxwine
rxwine
September 17th, 2015 at 12:06:11 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/09/17/somerville-pity-party-union-square/

Quote:

Organizers say to expect “sad bands, depressing clowns, melancholy poetry, and video games that you just can’t win.”

I only wish we could recruit Evenbob to go there and tell us it sucks even more than advertised. He's pretty good at the downward spin.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 17th, 2015 at 2:58:08 PM permalink
They aren't getting more truthful about it, they are just getting more blatant. http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/09/15/president-obama-orders-behavioral-experiments-american-public
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
September 17th, 2015 at 3:14:12 PM permalink
I was at the dentist's office getting a crown on 9-11. My dentist used to be in the military and was clearly very worked up about it. I had a lunch appointment at the Suncoast later that day, which I kept. There was supposed to be anniversary events going on but they rightly canceled them. Not a very interesting story but a day I'll never forget nonetheless.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rxwine
rxwine
September 17th, 2015 at 5:20:11 PM permalink
Someone's always got an angle.

Quote:

San Francisco couple got an unpleasant surprise on their way to Burning Man this year.

As they were on their way to the annual arts festival in the Nevada desert, they received an email from one of their friends, thanking the couple for renting their apartment on Airbnb, The Guardian reports.

But the couple hadn't actually put their apartment on the home-sharing site.

Instead, they had hired a professional housesitter they'd found on the site TrustedHousesitters.com, who had then listed the apartment on Airbnb himself — for a price of $2,000 for five days.

http://www.businessinsider.com/burning-man-housesitter-airbnb-scam-2015-9?google_editors_picks=true
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 17th, 2015 at 7:01:27 PM permalink

I only wish we could recruit Evenbob to go there and tell us it sucks even more than advertised. He's pretty good at the downward spin.

Well then, please ask him to take Petroglyph with him on that road trip. Please. In a very small car. So they can discover how much alike they really are. Kumbaya. Or something.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
September 17th, 2015 at 7:38:06 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Well then, please ask him to take Petroglyph with him on that road trip. Please. In a very small car. So they can discover how much alike they really are. Kumbaya. Or something.

Hey, hey, hey, what? I don't know what you are talking about, but you shouldn't say that about Bob.

Are you dissing Burning Man?
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
September 17th, 2015 at 9:19:04 PM permalink
Blackjack reminds me of electrons passing through a relatively small hole.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
September 17th, 2015 at 11:16:50 PM permalink
It was fun reading your posts. I am going off the grid. Maybe, return a couple years later. I spend too much time reading these threads.

No one got the electron comment?
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
September 18th, 2015 at 3:33:16 AM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

I tried. And failed. Seemed like it might be good if I got it. I get electrons. I don't get blackjack.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 18th, 2015 at 5:47:01 AM permalink
OK I get it now. Blackjack is just like "the never world of particle physics " . ROFL!*

*actually I don't get it and was only laughing at myself. Lemme see, sometimes electrons are like particles and sometimes they are like waves. So sometimes BJ is like .... oh, I give up
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
September 18th, 2015 at 6:39:06 AM permalink
10 4 Roger that
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 18th, 2015 at 8:15:39 PM permalink

It was fun reading your posts. I am going off the grid. Maybe, return a couple years later. I spend too much time reading these threads.

Well, check back in every once in a while, will ya? It's been fun.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
September 18th, 2015 at 8:18:29 PM permalink
I will.
1BB
1BB
September 19th, 2015 at 12:37:33 AM permalink

At least you didn't suspend yourself. Why that's even allowed is beyond me. You're doing it the right way.
1BB
1BB
September 19th, 2015 at 11:09:13 AM permalink
The word atheist has been coming up in the 2016 Election thread with many proclaiming their atheism. It has come up throughout this forum from it's inception. I'll pose this here rather than interrupt an ongoing thread.

The atheists on this forum seem to be of above average intelligence for the most part, some way above average. Is there a correlation? Are smart people more likely to be atheists? Have there been studies done?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 19th, 2015 at 11:18:18 AM permalink
Seems to me that atheists accept the scientific method, including the concept of evolution, and scoff at superstitions.

Belief in god is the ultimate superstition.
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 19th, 2015 at 3:08:13 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Belief in god is the ultimate superstition.

I'm an atheist and proud of it. In fact,
I'm friends with an ex Catholic priest
who is an atheist deluxe, he's loaded
Youtube with atheist videos. He's older
now, and he still hates the Church and
what it stands for.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
September 19th, 2015 at 9:34:23 PM permalink
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

Looks like the summary says recent studies show higher iq and higher education corrolated to more athiests and less religion.

Abstracts for at least the first citation are available, I didn't check the rest. The actual studies should be accessible through some university libraries.
1BB
1BB
September 20th, 2015 at 6:25:42 AM permalink
I'm not surprised. What surprises me is the constant bashing of religion and God that goes on here, that is encouraged to go on here. Encouraged by the fact that it is allowed unchecked and has been since this forum began. Guess what? No one has changed their mind and I wouldn't wait for anyone to. Depending on the poll, atheists make up 3% of the population of the United States while 75% say they believe in God.

I'm not religious and have no problem with non believers or believers but I have respect for my fellow man and would never hold against them the horrible things that have happened and are still happening in the name of religion. Ironically, a member got permanently banned for implying that Hillary Clinton was gay, and that's what it was for, while the majority of the forum has their God and religion insulted on a daily basis.

Are gays more likely to be atheists? Has there been a study? This forum is a small sample size but the answer here seems to be yes. Two or three of the most critical gays no longer post here but were very vocal in their religion bashing.

What about take it to DT? We've heard it time and time again. What happened there? This is from August 9, 2014. "Soxfan is officially warned to not post on WoV anything non-gambling related. Take it to DT".

I'm glad that the 2016 Election thread is still here. It's a great one. Thank you for starting it, Beethoven9th. We will see your name every time the thread comes up.

I'll leave everyone with a quote from one of the favorite members here. Who said the following on December 16, 2012? "I'd be very surprised if DT got even a couple of hundred members".
MrV
MrV
September 20th, 2015 at 9:17:56 AM permalink
Why would it surprise you?

This is a math-based or at least math-embracing board; math is rooted in objective, replicable, provable fact.

Religion is not: it is purely based on faith.

Faith has no serious place at the table anymore, as it is merely opinion which cannot be proven.

People are casting off the political, social and ideological limitations which organized religion has placed upon them since the beginning of civilization.

Religion no longer passes a cost / benefit analysis for many of us, myself included: I prefer to walk with my eyes on the horizon, not upward toward "heaven," fearing what "god" will do to me and the world.

As our understanding of the universe has increased, our need for a crutch to assuage our primal fears has proportionately decreased.
"What, me worry?"
1BB
1BB
September 20th, 2015 at 10:47:18 AM permalink
I'm not surprised by the views of the atheists that comprise the 3% of the US population. I don't disagree, I don't claim that they are wrong and I don't mock or ridicule them.

What surprises me is that on this site, a site where many feel that they have to walk on eggshells, that religion bashing is allowed to the extent that it is. Surely the folks here with above average intelligence know that religion is extremely important to some and that insulting their religion is like insulting one of their loved ones. Just because it's allowed, just because others do it or just because one can is not a reason to do so. It's a form of bullying. Who was it that recently shared that he was bullied as a kid?

Try posting an insult here about any other group, lifestyle or belief and see how far you get. I'm not talking about systems players though. When a systems player joins just bait them until they can't take it anymore, until they finally take the bait and get banned.

I have atheist friends who are wonderful human beings and, believe me, the discussions get lively. Not once did any of them insult, mock disparage or otherwise berate anyone because their beliefs were different. Why is it okay on this platform full of eggshells?
MrV
MrV
September 20th, 2015 at 11:16:27 AM permalink
It is not bullying.

Bullying targets an individual.

Challenging the relevance and truth of religion itself targets an idea, a belief system.

And you know the Wiz's opinion about "systems." :)

I agree that criticizing one's sexual orientation is now off limits here, but that is consistent with the above: in gay-bashing, one is by necessity attacking individuals, as gays do not choose to be gay, that is simply who and what they are.

Gays do not have freedom of choice (not that they should).

In contrast, everybody, without exception, is free to choose and has chosen to believe in their chosen religion: they aren't born that way, they have freedom of choice.

Gays need not be put on the spot and asked to defend the way they ARE; those who embrace religion SHOULD be prepared to present cogent arguments to support their beliefs when their religion is challenged.
"What, me worry?"
GTM
GTM
September 20th, 2015 at 11:47:07 AM permalink
Gays do not choose to be gay, that is simply who and what they are. Bull$#@%. You said it yourself. Everybody, without exception, is free to choose and has chosen to believe in their chosen religion: they aren't born that way, they have freedom of choice.
MrV
MrV
September 20th, 2015 at 12:12:44 PM permalink
REALLY?!

You seriously believe that, do you?

Let me guess: you think that one day little Johnny woke up and said "You know, all things being equal, I think I'll be gay."

Nonsense.

Good look with your deprogramming agenda.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
September 20th, 2015 at 12:15:31 PM permalink

I'm not surprised. What surprises me is the constant bashing of religion and God that goes on here, that is encouraged to go on here.

Maybe gays shouldn't be verbally or textually any harder on religion than it is on them. Same for unbelievers. Fair is fair.

Quote:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Leviticus 20:13,

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 20th, 2015 at 12:32:52 PM permalink

that religion bashing is allowed

It's what the religion STANDS FOR, not
the religion. It mostly concerns their
constant condemnation of Gays that
their loving god chooses not to recognize.

You don't think they should be bashed over
that? You seem to hate everything about
this forum, all you do is complain, why don't
you leave? I can think of nobody that would
miss the constant whining.
1BB
1BB
September 20th, 2015 at 12:41:59 PM permalink

Maybe gays shouldn't be verbally or textually any harder on religion than it is on them. Same for unbelievers. Fair is fair.

I'm not disagreeing with you guys. If a Christian were to bash an atheist I would find that just as deplorable. What I don't get is the deep seeded hate. What is the goal of bashing someone's religion on this forum? No one is going to be converted.
GTM
GTM
September 20th, 2015 at 12:47:55 PM permalink
You said it. Not me. Now, why are you going back on your word? 'Cause someone found a flaw in your logic.
GTM
GTM
September 20th, 2015 at 12:53:32 PM permalink
It is in the Bible. "One man should not sleep with another."
MrV
MrV
September 20th, 2015 at 1:16:20 PM permalink
Quote: GTM

You said it. Not me. Now, why are you going back on your word? 'Cause someone found a flaw in your logic.

What do you think I said?
"What, me worry?"
MrV
MrV
September 20th, 2015 at 1:16:50 PM permalink

We each have our own Good Books.

You take your marching orders from The Bible, whereas I get my world view from Mad Magazine.
"What, me worry?"
1BB
1BB
September 20th, 2015 at 1:17:21 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's what the religion STANDS FOR, not
the religion. It mostly concerns their
constant condemnation of Gays that
their loving god chooses not to recognize.

You don't think they should be bashed over
that? You seem to hate everything about
this forum, all you do is complain, why don't
you leave? I can think of nobody that would
miss the constant whining.

Thanks for the latest attack. I don't think I was complaining. I was interested in the subject and thought perhaps I could learn something. Two good posters took the time to respond and gave me some food for thought. Sorry if that upset you. It sounds like you're the one complaining.

I like this forum very much.One of it's best attributes are the great members. I like them all including the one or two toxic ones that even their own families despise.
GTM
GTM
September 20th, 2015 at 1:20:28 PM permalink
Everyone has a choice.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 20th, 2015 at 1:45:42 PM permalink

I don't think I was complaining. .

You really don't know when you're complaining
and when you're not? That explains a lot. Somebody
here should tip you off every time you complain,
maybe you'll stop.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 20th, 2015 at 2:07:55 PM permalink

Lots of things you can't do in the Bible. Like:

Eating anything that mixes meat and dairy, like a cheeseburger, for instance.

Eating fat.

Eating pork.

Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales.

Consulting a psychic or spiritualist.

Being in a town that believes in a non Biblical god.

Murdering a slave. (owning a slave is OK, however)

Planting more than one kind of seed in a field.

Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth.

The list is endless, but you get the idea. Makes
your quote about a man laying with another
man pretty weak and silly, doesn't it. You
don't get to cherry pick what you'll do or don't
do, that's not how it works.
QuasiIntellectu
QuasiIntellectu
  • Threads: 0
September 20th, 2015 at 2:38:17 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Lots of things you can't do in the Bible. Like:

3. This forum is open to all, but is intended to be a place for educated discussion about Las Vegas and gambling, in general. If you wish to discuss religion, politics, or sexuality, please do so at my other forum, Diversity Tomorrow
... it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 20th, 2015 at 2:42:05 PM permalink
Quote: QuasiIntellectu

3. This forum is open to all, but is intended to be a place for educated discussion about Las Vegas and gambling, in general. If you wish to discuss religion, politics, or sexuality, please do so at my other forum, Diversity Tomorrow (http://diversitytomorrow.com/).

I didn't know it was yours?

In any case, Bob is way ahead of you! Tears into Father G with great relish.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: