Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 18th, 2023 at 11:09:57 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

For me, this post provides the reality that colonization or mining ops will never happen. First, money or funding will never be sufficient. Second, habitability is just not possible for any real length of time. Consider the fact that there are no under ocean habitats that can sustain or provide for a civilization to thrive.

From my point of view, you just do not get it. The bottom line is not necessarily technology but funding. We can barely feed ourselves or provide access to reasonable medical care.

From what I have read it would only take about 5 males and 5 females to repopulate the earth. Why spend money to keep people alive past the point where they can reproduce? Keeping 10 billion people alive is quite a waste of resources.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
May 18th, 2023 at 11:34:41 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

For me, this post provides the reality that colonization or mining ops will never happen. First, money or funding will never be sufficient. Second, habitability is just not possible for any real length of time. Consider the fact that there are no under ocean habitats that can sustain or provide for a civilization to thrive.

From my point of view, you just do not get it. The bottom line is not necessarily technology but funding. We can barely feed ourselves or provide access to reasonable medical care.

From what I have read it would only take about 5 males and 5 females to repopulate the earth. Why spend money to keep people alive past the point where they can reproduce? Keeping 10 billion people alive is quite a waste of resources.
link to original post

So, who gets to select the 10 survivors? I know.........

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 18th, 2023 at 11:36:41 AM permalink

link to original post

So, who gets to select the 10 survivors? I know.........

tuttigym
link to original post

The modern way. Game show!
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
May 18th, 2023 at 11:50:55 AM permalink

From my point of view, you just do not get it. The bottom line is not necessarily technology but funding. We can barely feed ourselves or provide access to reasonable medical care. The vast majority of the world's population is struggling to survive now. The hypothesis of possible technologies going forward 1,000 years is also fantasy, IMO. Human extinction is more likely to occur within that 1,000 year window than not because homosapiens seem to be self-destructive entities that cannot get out off their own way.

tuttigym

I find your prediction re the demise of humankind to be unimpressive

and thankfully, I have many better sources available to me re speculation about the future

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 18th, 2023 at 12:24:32 PM permalink

link to original post

I'd go with two males and eight females. I would say 1-9, but it's best to have a spare.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
tuttigym
tuttigym
May 18th, 2023 at 7:43:05 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

From my point of view, you just do not get it. The bottom line is not necessarily technology but funding. We can barely feed ourselves or provide access to reasonable medical care. The vast majority of the world's population is struggling to survive now. The hypothesis of possible technologies going forward 1,000 years is also fantasy, IMO. Human extinction is more likely to occur within that 1,000 year window than not because homosapiens seem to be self-destructive entities that cannot get out off their own way.

tuttigym

I find your prediction re the demise of humankind to be unimpressive

and thankfully, I have many better sources available to me re speculation about the future

link to original post

So, site those "better sources." My "predictions" and those "speculations" carry the same weight, but thankfully neither of us will be around in 1,000 years to say "I told you so."

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 19th, 2023 at 2:35:30 AM permalink

just saw a story on the web re a guy who got injured playing Wordle

he was kinna cheating, maybe not, he had one of those gigantic dictionaries next to him to help him find Wordle words

he pulled a muscle turning the pages of the dictionary

Doc told him he needs to go on the injured reserve list

he'll be out of Wordle action for at least 2 weeks - it's a terrible blow to his group of Wordle players______________(~:\

also, TV commercials and some programs have a new thing - somewhat new anyway

they show lots of fat women in skimpy outfits dancing around or otherwise attempting to appear seductive or alluring

yuck

Last edited by: lilredrooster on May 19, 2023
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 19th, 2023 at 6:46:00 AM permalink

they show lots of fat women in skimpy outfits dancing around or otherwise attempting to appear seductive or alluring

It’s complicated. The majority of young/middle age American women are ‘fat’ by most standards. And those women do buy the clothing the retailers are trying to sell. Turning off your demographic is not relevant. The ‘models’ are more like the actual consumers than the ‘models’ you and I want to see.
DRich
DRich
May 19th, 2023 at 7:33:06 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'd go with two males and eight females. I would say 1-9, but it's best to have a spare.

I went with five of each so the gene pool would not be so inbred. You are right that having more females would definitely speed up the process.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
odiousgambitSOOPOO
May 19th, 2023 at 9:48:40 AM permalink
I'm on Long Island for the first time in seven years and have been driving around, seeing the many changes in storefronts and shops.
I pass a former sporting goods store and in its window is a paper sign that says SASA
LELE
I ask my sister what kind of store SASA LELE is, and she does no know what I'm talking about. Last night,we are driving past it, and she pulls over and looks at me like I have two heads. I look at the sign and have to laugh out loud.
It's actually two identical signs, side by side and reads SA SA on top
LE LE. on the bottom

I don't know about you, but I generally read side to side. not up and down.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
May 21st, 2023 at 2:38:55 PM permalink
Space x launch right this moment, but first time part of rocket will land back on Kennedy Space center instead of ocean
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 21st, 2023 at 4:00:21 PM permalink

okay - I admit it - I got suckered into even thinking about this by this BK ad that's running on TV now

but I need some help from the mathletes - this is not possible - is it_____________?

rxwine
rxwine
May 21st, 2023 at 5:06:53 PM permalink
If you count someone spitting on your burger, comes right to an even 200k.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 21st, 2023 at 5:34:38 PM permalink

okay - I admit it - I got suckered into even thinking about this by this BK ad that's running on TV now

but I need some help from the mathletes - this is not possible - is it_____________?

link to original post

Way over 200k.

No Mayo. Regular Mayo. Extra Mayo
No pickles. Regular pickles. Extra pickles
No ketchup. Regular ketchup. Extra ketchup
Regular beef. Impossible beef.
No onions. Regular onions. Extra onions.
No tomato. Regular tomato. Extra tomato.
Single patty. Double patty. Triple patty.
Cheese. No cheese.
Bacon. No bacon.
No lettuce. Regular lettuce. Extra lettuce.
No salt. Add salt.
Junior size. Regular size.
No mustard. Add mustard.
No jalapeños. Jalapeños
Guacamole. No guacamole.

559,872 possible combos. I didn’t know you could add guacamole or jalapeños.

I get mine this way. Whopper with extra Mayo extra onions.
billryan
billryan
May 21st, 2023 at 9:22:26 PM permalink
I get BBQ sauce on mine.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
May 21st, 2023 at 9:55:21 PM permalink
If there are three possibilities for every topping (none, regular, extra), then you’re at 3^12 = 531,144 combinations for twelve toppings
It’s all about making that GTA
rxwine
rxwine
May 22nd, 2023 at 7:08:56 AM permalink
You can probably get one of their chicken patties on top of your Whopper.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
May 22nd, 2023 at 7:37:44 AM permalink
I'm getting e-mails to get $1 off a Subway foot long sub. They used to be $5, but I haven't been in awhile but once, and they were near $10 at that mall. I went to Shake Shack and got a burger & fries & drink, it was over $22! I went to Chick-fil-a for the first time ever and spent nearly $15! Of course these interstate rest stops gouge everybody for everything. I think the 2 Hostess cupcakes for near $3 was ridiculous, I should have brought a dozen of my own from home.
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2023 at 10:54:22 AM permalink
Two weeks on the road has taught me how to use the FF apps to save significant money. MCDs seem to have 20% discounts across the board, and daily special offers. Get a Checkers receipt, fill out a survey and you can get a large sandwich, fries and a large soda for under $7. Taco Bell has web specials for about a third off, and an Arby receipt gives a code for a $1 sandwich.
Just order on their apps.
rxwine
rxwine
May 22nd, 2023 at 2:54:04 PM permalink
Next time i'm at the store, I need to remember to get some regular soap. A lady friend likes to stock the shower with these fancy soaps and body washes. It always feels like I have a layer of soap I can't get off. I know it's just oil or lotion, but I end up using more water because it feels like i'm still soapy. Though I'm not going to spend extra money buying any gimmicky niche soaps targeted towards men. Sasquatch...? Though I never compared the prices maybe it's not overpriced.
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2023 at 4:09:53 PM permalink
Hard water has that effect. You might need a water softener.
DRich
DRich
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:02:24 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I'm getting e-mails to get $1 off a Subway foot long sub. They used to be $5, but I haven't been in awhile but once, and they were near $10 at that mall. I went to Shake Shack and got a burger & fries & drink, it was over $22! I went to Chick-fil-a for the first time ever and spent nearly $15! Of course these interstate rest stops gouge everybody for everything. I think the 2 Hostess cupcakes for near $3 was ridiculous, I should have brought a dozen of my own from home.
link to original post

Using the McDonalds app I am usually able to eat for $5 to $6.
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:18:50 PM permalink
Dinner was two double cheeseburgers, small fries, and a small soda at BK. $5.50 plus tax plus 400 BK points for the second burger.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:45:23 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

If there are three possibilities for every topping (none, regular, extra), then you’re at 3^12 = 531,144 combinations for twelve toppings
link to original post

well Gee Whiz

that makes me wonder why the ad didn't say

"over 𝟱𝟬𝟬,𝟬𝟬𝟬 Whopper Combinations"

billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:50:14 AM permalink
They are holding that for the next campaign. New and Improved, Now with over 500,000 combinations.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 23rd, 2023 at 7:29:51 AM permalink
Whopper Wednesday for $3, but it costs twice that much in gas just to get there and back.
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2023 at 8:55:58 AM permalink

Whopper Wednesday for $3, but it costs twice that much in gas just to get there and back.
link to original post

Consider the benefits of walking to the closest BK.
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
May 23rd, 2023 at 10:07:05 AM permalink

link to original post

Consider the benefits of walking to the closest BK.
link to original post

If the closet BK is $6 worth of gas away, it's probably 40 miles roundtrip. Walking, you'd need to stop and eat before you got there ;-)

Dog Hand
DRich
DRich
May 23rd, 2023 at 11:18:46 AM permalink

link to original post

A wise man would move closer.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 23rd, 2023 at 11:36:52 AM permalink
There used to be a BK in my city but my city is so ghetto people would only show up when they got coupons and discounts.
tuttigym
tuttigym
May 23rd, 2023 at 11:44:49 AM permalink

There used to be a BK in my city but my city is so ghetto people would only show up when they got coupons and discounts.
link to original post

Perhaps, income challenged would be more accurate.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
May 24th, 2023 at 4:54:17 AM permalink

link to original post

I don't remember the last time I bought fast food without a coupon or promotion.
billryan
billryan
May 24th, 2023 at 8:03:44 AM permalink
Eating BK without a promo/coupon is as dumb as eating there in the first place. There is a free Whopper coupon on the back of every receipt. Take thirty seconds to fill out a survey and you get a meal for the price of a soda. I guess I'm ghetto, whatever that means.
rxwine
rxwine
May 24th, 2023 at 8:30:00 AM permalink
Only fast food restaurant I really miss having around is Long John Silver's.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 24th, 2023 at 8:35:50 AM permalink
Have the days of the restaurant $25 pound of prime rib disappeared? Are they $50 or $75 now?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 24th, 2023 at 8:45:16 AM permalink

Have the days of the restaurant $25 pound of prime rib disappeared? Are they $50 or $75 now?
link to original post

One bar in my neighborhood is around $36/lb ($26/.75lb).
I expect other neighborhoods and places with nicer tableclothes to charge more.
May the cards fall in your favor.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
May 24th, 2023 at 9:42:08 AM permalink

Eating BK without a promo/coupon is as dumb as eating there in the first place. There is a free Whopper coupon on the back of every receipt. Take thirty seconds to fill out a survey and you get a meal for the price of a soda. I guess I'm ghetto, whatever that means.
link to original post

I don't hit fast food that often, even less since I started this no red meat experiment a couple or so months ago, but when I have been in a fast food place the ones I see paying full price with no coupon or deal off their smart phones appear to be the ones who could least afford to pay full price.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
billryan
billryan
May 24th, 2023 at 9:45:21 AM permalink
Passed a Sushi bar that was advertising an all-you-can-eat lunch for $79.99. I did a double-take to make sure it wasn't $19.99 or if someone had screwed with the sign.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
May 24th, 2023 at 6:18:07 PM permalink

link to original post

Around here we call that "frugal" and is encouraged.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 25th, 2023 at 2:00:12 AM permalink

a father and son have been caught and jailed in a decades long $20 million lottery scam

they bought winning tickets at a discount from other scammers who actually won and wanted to avoid paying taxes on their winnings

they then claimed the winning tickets themselves and claimed phony offsetting losses on their tax returns

.https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/23/us/massachusetts-father-son-lottery-sentencing/index.html

rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Dieter
May 25th, 2023 at 8:42:31 AM permalink

a father and son have been caught and jailed in a decades long $20 million lottery scam

they bought winning tickets at a discount from other scammers who actually won and wanted to avoid paying taxes on their winnings

they then claimed the winning tickets themselves and claimed phony offsetting losses on their tax returns

.https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/23/us/massachusetts-father-son-lottery-sentencing/index.html

link to original post

Just my personal preference, perhaps as I use the misc thread quite a bit, but I usually like to put anything gambling related in its own thread. I figure it fits the site theme.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Dieter
May 26th, 2023 at 8:43:58 AM permalink
How to retire well, in three easy steps.

1) Spend less than you make.
2)Always be looking to make more money
3) Invest. You save for things; you invest to build wealth.

If there was a fourth step I'd say Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch. The nice folks at the credit card companies are not your friends, and those free flights come at a cost.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 26th, 2023 at 8:49:11 AM permalink
(4?) Don’t spend years living or working near a superfund site while working on 1-3? At least 1 in 6 people do, 3/4 of them still aren’t cleaned up.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on May 26, 2023
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 26th, 2023 at 10:00:13 AM permalink
4 might be "Don't be allergic to work."
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
May 26th, 2023 at 10:33:56 AM permalink
How do you retire at 20, live well and have fun until 40, and then work until you're elderly, then die. That's what I was more interested in.

A bit too late for that plan though I'm afraid
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 26th, 2023 at 5:05:34 PM permalink
Just saw a video predicting their demise of McDonald's. 700 restaurants are insolvent and another 1600 may close because the minimum FF wage may go up to $22.50/hr in CA and VA. Some of these meal combos are getting over the $15 price point too. Buy expensive houses, expect expensive help.
Another video says to expect food prices to go up by at least 50% this summer over last summer, with some foods doubling in price.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on May 26, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 30th, 2023 at 3:38:16 AM permalink

Elizabeth Holmes starts her prison sentence today

she is one of the highest profile tech entrepreneurs to ever get jailed

her scam coupled tech with medicine - a device she falsely claimed could detect hundreds of diseases with just a few drops of blood

for a while and even after the charges she was a hero to some women who referred to themselves as "Holmies"

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/30/1178728092/elizabeth-holmes-prison-sentence-theranos-fraud-silicon-valley

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 30th, 2023 at 8:08:22 AM permalink
Subway had some good coupons until recently: three foot long subs for less than $20.00.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2023 at 8:53:39 AM permalink

Elizabeth Holmes starts her prison sentence today

she is one of the highest profile tech entrepreneurs to ever get jailed

her scam coupled tech with medicine - a device she falsely claimed could detect hundreds of diseases with just a few drops of blood

for a while and even after the charges she was a hero to some women who referred to themselves as "Holmies"

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/30/1178728092/elizabeth-holmes-prison-sentence-theranos-fraud-silicon-valley

link to original post

Her story never made any sense but everyone was afraid to say they couldn't see the spectacular rainments she was wearing.
Finally, someone noticed the Emperess had no clothes. She certainly inspired some people- the clown from CYDY comes to mind.
Just fake it until you can take it.
rxwine
rxwine
May 30th, 2023 at 9:03:45 AM permalink
Prison rules are, she has to work a job and will make between 12 and 40 cents an hour.
  • Jump to: