Thinking about it
Emerald Cove RV resort has an offer for some free nights if I listen to a pitch
Place looks really nice
But
I was in nearby Quartzite recently
Seems in this area
Unless you have a ATV or a water craft
Not much to do
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 23rd, 2021 at 3:38:20 PM permalink
Have you been to the Temple Bar? I only spent an afternoon there but would love to spend another day or two.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 23rd, 2021 at 4:05:08 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Have you been to the Temple Bar? I only spent an afternoon there but would love to spend another day or two.

Where is it
Dont drink
But
I do like eating at the bar if the place has really good food
On the flip side
Was at London Bridge and was very hungry
Looked like some really nice restaurants nearby
I walked in, bar almost packed
No interest in having anybody maskless next to me at the bar.
Some restaurant bars are relatively empty, something like that I may sit down

I did stop by the Quartzite Yacht club. Kind of a hoot being in the middle of the desert. Soon to be famous as part of the movie Nomadland (Best pic favorite UK betting sites) was filmed there.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 23rd, 2021 at 5:47:23 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

offer for some free nights
if I listen to a pitch

Famous last words
billryan
billryan
January 23rd, 2021 at 5:55:38 PM permalink
Temple Bar is a marina/rv park/ small motel resort on the Arizona side of the Colorado, south of the Dam. From the
Dam you head towards Kingman and the exit is maybe twenty miles into Arizona, but then you have a long desolate ride for another thirty-forty miles. It's on a bend in the river with a spectacular view. It's on the small side and I imagine spots fill quickly. I would not venture out there without making sure they are open. The winters are slow and supposedly the summers are sold out months in advance under normal circumstances. Food is good, staff is incredible and there is a vibe about the place that is contagious.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 24th, 2021 at 5:09:02 AM permalink

I met a WoVer at Temple Bar a few years back.... in Dublin, Ireland!
billryan
billryan
January 24th, 2021 at 8:01:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Unlike its Irish cousin, this Temple Bar isn't a tourist trap.
billryan
billryan
January 24th, 2021 at 8:04:13 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

terapined
terapined
January 24th, 2021 at 8:37:44 AM permalink

Too far north
On par with Vegas weather which is too cold
May consider it in another month as I'll make my way North
I want to check out all the National parks in Utah
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 24th, 2021 at 8:44:35 AM permalink

Too far north

My thought would be if the low temperature anywhere is below 50 degrees avoid it at all cost.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
January 24th, 2021 at 12:26:16 PM permalink

Too far north

This is not the season to visit the Temple Bar. From reading on-line, it appears covid hit the family that runs the place and they have really turtled up.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
January 24th, 2021 at 6:56:56 PM permalink
Alot of ppl been complaining of drive by’s in different neighborhoods multiple houses on the next door app for months. Today someone accused the cops of not caring. I think it only made the news once. I recognized 2 vehicles that drove thru our office on the news and next door app

Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jan 24, 2021
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 24th, 2021 at 10:51:02 PM permalink
When you practice a physical activity enough, you usually increase endurance, strength, corresponding muscle.

How is your body changing when you practice the ability to hold your breath, 6, 7, 8 minutes or even longer?

Wonder if SOOPOO knows this right off?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
January 25th, 2021 at 7:35:28 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

When you practice a physical activity enough, you usually increase endurance, strength, corresponding muscle.

How is your body changing when you practice the ability to hold your breath, 6, 7, 8 minutes or even longer?

Wonder if SOOPOO knows this right off?

Many Eastern religions/ philosophies practice holding your breath.
It's like keto for your brain.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
January 27th, 2021 at 4:08:24 PM permalink
This is what July 4th was like. I was standing inside the city limits. But the fireworks were closer to the city center.

https://streamable.com/bhwn2w
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 28th, 2021 at 3:45:38 AM permalink

have arthritis - lower back - nagging chronic pain - no cure - surgery is a risky option I won't take
gave up creams and lotions - they work for only about 2 minutes - the best temporary thing is IMO ice
started taking small dose of "diphenhydramine" - legal OTC med before sleep - this is the active ingredient in "Benadryl" and other allergy meds
it's pretty strong - even a small dose will get you feeling a little high if you're sensitive to meds
some teens abuse it to get stoned
anyway, I don't plan on abusing it but it's helped quite a bit with the pain and helped me get a good night's sleep
daytime is still difficult sometimes but that I can live with
can get medical marijuana card but don't really want it - don't want opioids either
tonight I'm going to try dextromethorphan tablets which are in "Mucinex DM" and compare the relief to diphenhydramine - the 2 are somewhat similar I believe

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 28, 2021
Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
January 28th, 2021 at 8:02:18 AM permalink
Have you tried CBD?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 28th, 2021 at 8:35:15 AM permalink

Have you tried CBD?

yes - temporary - maybe 15 minutes instead of 2 minutes with the others
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 28th, 2021 at 1:05:09 PM permalink
How about turmeric ?
I had severe sciatica and couldn’t sit for more than 20 minutes I now take cbd and turmeric and have been pain free. Occasionally I will stop taking it for a couple of days and then the pain starts to come back. So I don’t think it’s just the placebo effect.Turmeric is a anti inflammatory.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 28th, 2021 at 1:18:29 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

How about turmeric ?
I had severe sciatica and couldn’t sit for more than 20 minutes I now take cbd and turmeric and have been pain free. Occasionally I will stop taking it for a couple of days and then the pain starts to come back. So I don’t think it’s just the placebo effect.Turmeric is a anti inflammatory.

thanks for the suggestion - maybe I'll try it - I've tried so many things that don't work I've just about given up
if this stuff I mentioned lets me have a good sleep I'm happy about that - I'll get by during the day
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
January 28th, 2021 at 1:36:39 PM permalink
I had bad upper and lower back pain. I went to 6 chiropractors across the country. Each one did one thing good. The last one had to work on lower and upper back and neck. All the previous chiropractors missed neck and lowest vertebre. Because only the last 2 took xrays showing last vertebre and neck issue. I use Tubio in houston.

occasionally , I lay back on foam semicircle to take knots out of back muscle. Im pretty much healed. Occasional pain. .

I use ginger ibuprofin as anti inflammatory for gout. And bromelain to dissolve gout.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jan 28, 2021
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
February 4th, 2021 at 12:04:52 PM permalink
I just noticed billryan has surpassed 10,000 posts here at WOV forums.
A tip of the hat to you.

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 4th, 2021 at 4:39:04 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

A tip of the hat to you.

Alternate personality evenbob.
billryan
billryan
February 4th, 2021 at 6:29:47 PM permalink

A tip of the hat to you.

Thanks.
I had no idea or I would have made it more suspension worthy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
petroglyph
February 5th, 2021 at 12:43:38 AM permalink

A tip of the hat to you.

I remember being young and carefree
when I hit 10K. I'm almost at 25K now,
the thrill is gone and the bloom of
youth has left my cheeks.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
RogerKint
February 5th, 2021 at 3:24:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

the thrill is gone and the bloom of
youth has left my cheeks.

I say that when I pass gas
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 8th, 2021 at 10:56:33 AM permalink

back in the day I used to do my taxes on the kitchen table by hand with the IRS booklet and their confusing forms

before software and computers capital gains taxes were higher

it was very complicated to figure out capital gains obligations accurately with their instructions on their forms - at least for me back then

I gave up - I just winged it for many years - I basically took a guess on the very, very low end

I'm about 100% sure I was wrong on the low end and they never came back at me about it -

𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘦𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳.....................................................................................................................................................(~:\

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
February 8th, 2021 at 11:00:39 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

back in the day I used to do my taxes on the kitchen table by hand with the IRS booklet and their confusing forms

before software and computers capital gains taxes were higher

it was very complicated to figure out capital gains obligations accurately with their instructions on their forms - at least for me back then

I gave up - I just winged it for many years - I basically took a guess on the very, very low end

I'm about 100% sure I was wrong on the low end and they never came back at me about it -

𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘦𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳.....................................................................................................................................................(~:\

Similar here. Our tax authorities don't lift a finger to query Self Assessment, unless they are paying you.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
fantom
fantom
  • Threads: 1
February 8th, 2021 at 11:09:42 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Similar here. Our tax authorities don't lift a finger to query Self Assessment, unless they are paying you.

"Unless they are paying you?" Isn't the exercise of filing so that they WILL pay you - but with your own money that's already been withheld?

I always held my breath waiting to see if they were going to come back based on my winging of it, but I finally let Mr. TurboTax do my taxes, essentially to reduce the winging, as well as to see whether or not he thinks they will come back. I'm more tempted every year when I hear that fewer and fewer returns do in fact get audited.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 11th, 2021 at 1:32:46 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

How about turmeric ?

I decided to try tumeric
I took one 500 mg pill in the morning
nothing happened and I thought sh** - I wasted my money yet again
but then in the afternoon the pain completely disappeared
I was somewhat shocked - I didn't really expect it to work

thanks again

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 11th, 2021 at 5:08:58 PM permalink

I decided to try tumeric
I took one 500 mg pill in the morning
nothing happened and I thought sh** - I wasted my money yet again
but then in the afternoon the pain completely disappeared
I was somewhat shocked - I didn't really expect it to work

thanks again

* [/q
I think you need to take it for about a week for the full effect.

The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 17th, 2021 at 3:50:40 AM permalink

incredible story
Citibank mistakenly wired almost $1 billion to various places
and it can't get back about $500 million - U.S. District Court ruling

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/16/business/citibank-revlon-lawsuit-ruling/index.html
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
February 17th, 2021 at 4:50:39 AM permalink
Quote: fantom

"Unless they are paying you?" Isn't the exercise of filing so that they WILL pay you - but with your own money that's already been withheld?

Remarkably not!
In the UK, the exercise of filing is to determine the small amount of tax that we need to pay to balance the account. We aspire to pay our tax as late as possible even if that means a big payment due in January
A fundamental difference between the UK and US income tax systems is that in the UK, we don't tend to overpay throughout the year and then get a rebate. Under our PAYE system, we generally pay the correct amount and don't file anything! Where we do self assessment, that usually precedes us sending a small payment, or very unusually getting a rebate.
I'm always bemused when I read how popular your countrymens' idea of an annual rebate cheque seems to be.
I'd be annoyed to discover that I'd given my government an interest free loan every every year.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rxwine
rxwine
February 22nd, 2021 at 6:29:37 PM permalink
Solarwinds ground zero for biggest data hack had a password of "Solarwinds123"
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
OnceDear
February 22nd, 2021 at 6:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Remarkably not!
In the UK, the exercise of filing is to determine the small amount of tax that we need to pay to balance the account. We aspire to pay our tax as late as possible even if that means a big payment due in January
A fundamental difference between the UK and US income tax systems is that in the UK, we don't tend to overpay throughout the year and then get a rebate. Under our PAYE system, we generally pay the correct amount and don't file anything! Where we do self assessment, that usually precedes us sending a small payment, or very unusually getting a rebate.
I'm always bemused when I read how popular your countrymens' idea of an annual rebate cheque seems to be.
I'd be annoyed to discover that I'd given my government an interest free loan every every year.

A lot of my immigrant friends in NY look at it as if it were an investment club. They contribute all year and get an annual payoff.
The El Cortez used to have a decent promo for cashing your refund check, and many companies will match your refund when buying over-priced furniture, so it has it's purposes.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 1st, 2021 at 2:15:43 AM permalink

the new placement of the crypto question in the 1040 drew lots of media attention

from the linked article:

"The IRS has put crypto front and center for this tax-filing season. High up on the first page of your tax return, a yes or no question is posed: “At any time during 2020, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency?”

but strange....................

I just did my taxes using software from freetaxusa.com and that question was not presented to me anywhere......didn't matter - my answer would have been no

but..........did freetaxusa.com screw up?.....................or some other reason?.....................I haven't got a clue

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/24/failure-to-report-crypto-on-tax-returns-can-lead-to-trouble-with-irs.html
rxwine
rxwine
March 1st, 2021 at 5:35:40 AM permalink

the new placement of the crypto question in the 1040 drew lots of media attention

from the linked article:

"The IRS has put crypto front and center for this tax-filing season. High up on the first page of your tax return, a yes or no question is posed: “At any time during 2020, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency?

I was using H&R Block software, and that popped up pretty fast. I was wondering if that was designed to spook people trying to fly under the radar.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
March 6th, 2021 at 1:16:22 PM permalink
Email written by a dealer who retired last year, after working decades on the Strip. Responding to this article.

I inserted ‘solid citizens’ to edit the original description.

“I knew about the one punch killing, but had not heard it was a retired cop.
The strip is very dangerous now. Nothing but groups solid citizens of looking for trouble. Metro should be rousting them to the point of non-stop harassment, until it’s too uncomfortable to hang around. They don't. Thats why there are shootings all the time inside and outside the casinos. Seeing what I did, especially the last five years working the strip, you have to be nuts to come here on vacation. The casino's pay Metro's overtime. We are in the helps hall, and there are teams of rapid response officers and private security with AR 15'S down there. It’s upsetting the female employees. It looks like you’re dealing in a war zone. They walk though and around the pits while you’re dealing, with bomb sniffing dogs. 

The parking garages are dangerous. There are fights on different levels all the time. Sometimes the employees are not allowed to leave after they are done with their shift, until metro clears the garage. Its all solid citizens. No one else!”
rxwine
rxwine
March 6th, 2021 at 1:28:24 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Email written by a dealer who retired last year, after working decades on the Strip. Responding to this article.

The strip is very dangerous now. Nothing but groups solid citizens of looking for trouble. Metro should be rousting them to the point of non-stop harassment, until it’s too uncomfortable to hang around. They don't. Thats why there are shootings all the time inside and outside the casinos. Seeing what I did, especially the last five years working the strip, you have to be nuts to come here on vacation. The casino's pay Metro's overtime. We are in the helps hall, and there are teams of rapid response officers and private security with AR 15'S down there. It’s upsetting the female employees. It looks like you’re dealing in a war zone. They walk though and around the pits while you’re dealing, with bomb sniffing dogs. 

The parking garages are dangerous. There are fights on different levels all the time. Sometimes the employees are not allowed to leave after they are done with their shift, until metro clears the garage. Its all solid citizens. No one else!”

There was another story that the LVPD didn’t even show up to take a report about this same guy being violent in another altercation.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Calder
March 7th, 2021 at 3:14:20 AM permalink

pretty cool - to me anyway

many freaked when they saw this "flying ship"

it's a "superior mirage" caused by changes in air density forcing light from the sun to bend around the horizon

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/world/europe/flying-ship-cornwall.html

rxwine
rxwine
March 7th, 2021 at 9:25:27 AM permalink
It’s not so hard to understand why people sometimes believe odd things, when it fails the “seen it with my own eyes” test.
terapined
terapined
March 7th, 2021 at 9:52:55 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Yawn
I've been travelling all over the country
From the strip to being a block away from that daylight out in the open robbery of a 400,000 watch with multiple gun shots in Beverly Hills couple days ago.
You have to constantly be aware of your surroundings and the people around you
Just visited Venice Beach. Huge homeless encampment next to people partying. Interesting dynamic
I'll still get out regardless of what Tanko reports
How's life in a bunker lol
rxwine
rxwine
March 8th, 2021 at 12:33:26 PM permalink

pretty cool - to me anyway

many freaked when they saw this "flying ship"

it's a "superior mirage" caused by changes in air density forcing light from the sun to bend around the horizon

I call and raise you one helicopter.

DRich
DRich
March 8th, 2021 at 1:14:42 PM permalink
I am excited to say that I now know someone who has passed away from Covid19. I now feel like a part of the rest of society.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
March 11th, 2021 at 12:12:26 PM permalink
This Deep Fake, Tom Cruise video was created superimposing Cruise' face over an impersonator with similar features.

These are animations of historical figures using facial animation.

rxwine
rxwine
March 11th, 2021 at 12:45:36 PM permalink
I really like the historical reanimations.

I could see a market for those. Like when making personal youtube videos, you can get Einstein grimacing at something you said.
rxwine
rxwine
March 12th, 2021 at 10:01:11 PM permalink
I'm not sure what to make of this. Take a look of the list of titles on this channel. Every title is some tale of more misery.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LittleHouseOnTheRoad/videos
billryan
billryan
March 13th, 2021 at 10:54:39 AM permalink
It's 46 degrees outside, the sun is shining and it is snowing. Strange.
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2021 at 11:05:46 AM permalink

It's 46 degrees outside, the sun is shining and it is snowing. Strange.

I would suggest moving further south.
billryan
billryan
March 13th, 2021 at 11:11:43 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I would suggest moving further south.

I think my next move is to the Laughlin area. Winter there and travel in the summer.
  • Jump to: