Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 28th, 2019 at 5:42:21 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Quote: rxwine

What was the beginning of the end of human history? I think it began with the loss of all reason and real purpose.

Bunch of false heros lined up to get their vanity card punched. If you can't climb it without a Sherpa you have no business there. When are they going to open the Sherpa Taco Shack on the South Summit? Probably do a McDonald's at the base of the Hillary Step as well.

That is ridiculous. There is no excuse for the Government to sell that many permits. At least ten people have died because of these lines.
They literally are running out of oxygen due to them.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 28th, 2019 at 5:58:36 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I'm sure you might find some. I can't think of anything I would invest in that has negative appreciation for the past decade.
Half the mortgages in many Vegas zip codes are well under water. If you are an experienced flipper, or looking for investment property, it's one thing,but buying a single family home as a residence in this Valley is a.crapshoot. Not an investment.
Real estate on Long Island has gone up something like 47 of the last 50 years. Since Vegas began to mature in the early 80s, it's been very cyclical. I don't see it improving. Others do. Is anyone here certain a house bought today for $200,000 will sell for more in five years?
Ten years?
If your financial advisor suggested you tie up your main assets in a stock whose track record for the last forty years was both choppy and well below the industry norm, would you sign on for a thirty year ride?
The benefits of home ownership are overstated and the downside ignored. In addition to a mortgage, you have the cost of thirty years of maintenance to look forward to. How many washers, dryers, fridges, air conditioners, stoves and dishwashers will need replacement?
Condos are worse. My complex has spent a fortune on our pools, and spent $250,000 on a clubhouse no one uses. In a condo, those would both be special assessments.
Anyone want to talk about HOAs? Only in America do people pay to surrender their civil liberties.
Rant over.

Don’t major appliances last at least 10 years typically?

Can you explain why people rent houses to others? If being a renter is a smart choice, then why would people rent out their houses to tenants? How do they make money?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanked by
petroglyph
May 28th, 2019 at 7:05:28 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Would something like this micro inspection camera help you, instead of tearing up the floor and walls? Leaks are probably at a connection point, unless you've driven nails/screws into the area lately.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-Endoscope-EEEKitl-WiFi-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-Waterproof-HD-6LED-Snake-Camera-for-Android-and-IOS-Smartphone-Tablet-5M/745783539?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=10186&adid=22222222227081160970&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=193190217315&wl4=pla-305745122280&wl5=1013433&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117014916&wl11=online&wl12=745783539&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI05SFiLi_4gIVhLbACh1HPQfeEAQYAiABEgLYZPD_BwE

I actually have one of those. We had mice in the walls a few years ago so I bought one to see if I could locate where they were hiding or coming in.

Unfortuately for this leak the pipe that I believe is leaking was run through all of the floor joists so I would still have to drill a hole every 16 inches. Tonight I cut a 8 inch wide and 8 feet long hole. I have all of the joints exposed but none of them seem to be leaking so I am at a loss. There was a decent amount of water that came through the ceiling (through the spot where drywall had a seem). The pipe in question is directly above it so it has to be that pipe but right now nothing is leaking. I am at a loss. Tonight we are getting some really heavy thunderstorms so that will rule out a leak from the outside.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
May 28th, 2019 at 7:06:49 PM permalink

What was the beginning of the end of human history? I think it began with the loss of all reason and real purpose.

Bunch of false heros lined up to get their vanity card punched. If you can't climb it without a Sherpa you have no business there. When are they going to open the Sherpa Taco Shack on the South Summit? Probably do a McDonald's at the base of the Hillary Step as well.

That is ridiculous. There is no excuse for the Government to sell that many permits. At least ten people have died because of these lines.

looks like the summit is 10 feet wide. Is that all the room there is up there?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
May 28th, 2019 at 7:21:50 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

The actual summit is about the size of 2 or 3 ping pong tables.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 28th, 2019 at 7:23:25 PM permalink

Report I saw tonight said it's smaller than that - about the size of 2 ping-pong tables pushed together.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2019 at 7:30:38 PM permalink
Many houses here are for rent because the owner is underwater and can't sell the house for what they owe. Many others are owned by banks or hedge funds and they want revenue while sorting out the tens of thousands of foreclosures and short sales in their portfolio.
Remember there are still a lot of interest only , jumbo payout mortgages from 2006-7 that will be coming due soon.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 28th, 2019 at 10:39:53 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Report I saw tonight said it's smaller than that - about the size of 2 ping-pong tables pushed together.

You need a lot of ping pong balls, 'cause ain't no one chasin' after one that flies off the table.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 29th, 2019 at 2:21:04 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I dunno, the report that I saw said it was the size of ONE ping pong table, cut in half, with about 4-5 feet separating the two halves.

I guess we'll never know!
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
May 29th, 2019 at 9:00:24 AM permalink

The benefits of home ownership are overstated and the downside ignored. In addition to a mortgage, you have the cost of thirty years of maintenance to look forward to.

Our mortgage will be paid off in the next couple of years. If we stay in that house until death, that's decades of free living (minus property tax and insurance). Can't get that deal if you're renting. Even if we move, with all the equity in a paid-off house, that is a massive down payment for whatever house we move into next, and may even outright pay it off depending on where we move to. Even with decades of maintenance costs, it still comes out cheaper than renting.

The vast, vast majority of people don't look at home ownership as an "investment." They look at it as a place to effing live. Is the food you eat an "investment?" Are the clothes on your back an "investment?" I don't care if the value of my house drops to $0 as soon as I pay off the mortgage and stays there. I'll have a place to live. Forever. For free. That's all that I care about.

Quote:

How many washers, dryers, fridges, air conditioners, stoves and dishwashers will need replacement?

We've been in our house for almost 15 years. Washer, dryer, fridge, and stove have never been replaced. Air conditioner was repaired once. Dishwasher replaced once. Water heater replaced once. The cost of major appliance repair or replacement is almost negligible when you factor in how long they last.

Quote:

Anyone want to talk about HOAs? Only in America do people pay to surrender their civil liberties.

I, too, think HOA's are a scam.
billryan
billryan
May 29th, 2019 at 10:34:34 AM permalink
Cool.
You don't consider your largest cash outlay an investment. That's amazing financial literacy.

"the cost of major appliance repair is neglible" Absolutely. No reason to worry about things like that. Over the course of thirty years, what's a few thousand dollars? I'm sure your house will age well. I mean appliances, roofs, sheds, windows , rugs, sidewalks, driveways, and landscaping all have useful lifetimes of fifty plus years. Why concern yourself with these things. In just fifteen more years, you'll now own your thirty year old house and never ever have to worry about these things. Everyone knows homes without mortgages translates into living carefree. Just be sure to buy another mortgage free dwelling when you decide to move.

By the way- yes, I consider the food I eat as an investment. Every dollar you spend is a dollar you can potentially invest.
The dollar you spend on a candy bar today might buy you ten such bars in the future if it is saved, rather than spent. Every dollar matters.
Too many people, far too many people, take 5 or 10 percent off the top, throw that in an investment/ retirement account and think they are doing the right thing. We saw our parents dutifully buy houses worth a few years salary and spend the rest of their adulthood faithfully paying a mortgage because some day it would be paid off and they could live "free" the rest of their lives.
Bankers are your friends. The gubermint is your friend. In fact, the two of them have joined together to make it easier for you to be in debt for the next couple of decades. If home ownership wasn't in our best interest, would banks lend out on them?
Why is mortgage interest deductible while credit card interest generally isn't? The government decided one type of debt is good and they will subsidize it, while the other is bad and you are on your own.
Surely, they do these things in your best interests, not theirs. That's just how banks work. Always looking out for the common man.

We live in a nation where half the adult population isn't prepared to handle a $1,000 emergency. It should be obvious the " system" isn't working for many people and is stifling growth for others.
Unless it's all a big coincidence that the rise in home ownership has not resulted in the wealth being equally distributed among the people, but instead has resulted in the biggest concentration of wealth at the very top that our Nation has ever seen.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
RS
May 29th, 2019 at 10:48:12 AM permalink

Cool.
You don't consider your largest cash outlay an investment. That's amazing financial literacy.

I don't consider it an investment, because I'm not expecting any return on it. Housing is a basic need. Financial literacy has nothing to do with it. If I was a real estate investor, it would be a totally different story.

Quote:

"the cost of major appliance repair is neglible" Absolutely. No reason to worry about things like that. Over the course of thirty years, what's a few thousand dollars? I'm sure your house will age well. I mean appliances, roofs, sheds, windows , rugs, sidewalks, driveways, and landscaping all have useful lifetimes of fifty plus years. Why concern yourself with these things. In just fifteen more years, you'll now own your thirty year old house and never ever have to worry about these things. Everyone knows homes without mortgages translates into living carefree. Just be sure to buy another mortgage free dwelling when you decide to move.

I don't know what this rant is about. I neither said nor implied any of this. All I said was the cost of renting far outweighs the cost of home maintenance and appliance repair over a person's lifetime.

Quote:

By the way- yes, I consider the food I eat as an investment. Every dollar you spend is a dollar you can potentially invest.
The dollar you spend on a candy bar today might buy you ten such bars in the future if it is saved, rather than spent. Every dollar matters.

You have a very loose definition of the word "investment." I'm not talking about frivolous expenditures like candy bars. I'm talking about eating food to survive, and, you know, not die. There's no opportunity cost for eating food to survive. It is a necessity. Not an investment. If someone is literally making decisions like, "Does my family eat dinner this week or should invest in Apple?" then, well, I don't know what to tell them... "That's amazing financial literacy," I guess?
billryan
billryan
May 29th, 2019 at 10:58:53 AM permalink
I didn't expect you to " get" it. It takes a lot to break with a lifetime of being inculcated.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 29th, 2019 at 10:58:57 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I don't consider it an investment, because I'm not expecting any return on it. Housing is a basic need. Financial literacy has nothing to do with it. If I was a real estate investor, it would be a totally different story.

I don't know what this rant is about. I neither said nor implied any of this. All I said was the cost of renting far outweighs the cost of home maintenance and appliance repair over a person's lifetime.

You have a very loose definition of the word "investment." I'm not talking about frivolous expenditures like candy bars. I'm talking about eating food to survive, and, you know, not die. There's no opportunity cost for eating food to survive. It is a necessity. Not an investment. If someone is literally making decisions like, "Does my family eat dinner this week or should invest in Apple?" then, well, I don't know what to tell them... "That's amazing financial literacy," I guess?

You need to head to the dollar store and get some $1 ribeyes stat.😀
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
SOOPOO
May 29th, 2019 at 11:02:01 AM permalink
The point is, barring some unusual situations, you HAVE to "invest" in either rent or paying for a house.

You have to pick between those.

One leaves you owning something. It MIGHT even sky rocket in value.

The other is guranteed to lose 100%
billryan
billryan
May 29th, 2019 at 11:03:00 AM permalink
The dollar lobster rolls are much better. Just have to bake them,not microwave them. Smother with Trader Joe's Hawaiian Teriyaki sauce and I feel like swimming in the ocean.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
RS
May 29th, 2019 at 11:10:29 AM permalink

I didn't expect you to " get" it. It takes a lot to break with a lifetime of being inculcated.

"Get" what? That home ownership is less expensive than renting where I live? That's all I've been saying. What is it that you don't understand about that?

You talk about me being inculcated when you are the one who is completely blinded by some bizarre hatred of home ownership and being argumentative for no reason, spouting irrelevant strawmen and non-sequiturs. Do you and ZenKing get together and talk about how "droned out" everyone is and how you've got the whole world figured out? LOL... You've picked a weird hill to die on with this.

Here's a little light reading for you....

The Truth? Your House is Not an Investment

Sorry, But Your Home Isn't an 'Investment'

You need to head to the dollar store and get some $1 ribeyes stat.😀

Yikes...
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 29th, 2019 at 11:25:24 AM permalink
I just calculated renting vs buying in my neighborhood.
205k purchases 3 bdrm condo. At today's interest rates and taxes w/ insurance the payments would be $1050. The HOA is $250 month which includes all exterior maintenance, water, trash , sewer, security, pools, gym, and clubhouse. Very similar to what you find in an apartment environment.
The rental on the 3 bdrm is $1500. So that is $200 less. One thing I see is then you are locked in at a lower price. Rents in Vegas are exponentially increasing. When I moved here 5 years ago the 2 bdrm place I rented in Henderson for $900 is now $1250. The building I lived in downtown was $1200 for a 1 Br and now $1600.
I bought my place a couple years ago and I'm right at $1000 all in. At the time the 3 bdrm was renting for $1300 vs the $1500 today. I find it very hard time make an argument for renting vs buying in Vegas today. Maybe luxury highrise properties with extreme HOA's and $400k+ homes there is an argument to be made renting makes more sense.
Last edited by: MaxPen on May 29, 2019
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 29th, 2019 at 12:48:35 PM permalink

I just calculated renting vs buying in my neighborhood.
205k purchases 3 bdrm condo. At today's interest rates and taxes w/ insurance the payments would be $1050. The HOA is $250 month which includes all exterior maintenance, water, trash , sewer, security, pools, gym, and clubhouse. Very similar to what you find in an apartment environment.
The rental on the 3 bdrm is $1500. So that is $200 less. One thing I see is then you are locked in at a lower price. Rents in Vegas are exponentially increasing. When I moved here 5 years ago the 2 bdrm place I rented in Henderson for $900 is now $1250. The building I lived in downtown was $1200 for a 1 Br and now $1600.
I bought my place a couple years ago and I'm right at $1000 all in. At the time the 3 bdrm was renting for $1300 vs the $1500 today. I find it very hard time make an argument for renting vs buying in Vegas today. Maybe luxury highrise properties with extreme HOA's and $400k+ homes there is an argument to be made renting makes more sense.

A few months ago when I was planning on moving to Miami, I was looking at a place that was offering to rent with an option to buy. The price was fixed and at the end of the lease they would apply $2000 (50%) of each months rent to the purchase price of the house, I really liked that idea because I didn't want to commit to buying until i learned a little more about the area.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
May 29th, 2019 at 3:09:42 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

The point is, barring some unusual situations, you HAVE to "invest" in either rent or paying for a house.

You have to pick between those.

One leaves you owning something. It MIGHT even sky rocket in value.

The other is guranteed to lose 100%

No, you do not. I don't invest in rent. I pay it as a cost of doing business. My money is earning money. From that money, comes the rent. The thing is my money is working for me. Your money is working for the bank for the next twenty-thirty years, then it is sitting idle unless you want to pay a banker to lend you money on your own property.I'll
GWAE
GWAE
May 29th, 2019 at 5:20:37 PM permalink
ok here I go again. every year on AGT there is a magic act that blows my mind. Did anyone see Eric? can an Asian magician win back to back?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RS
May 29th, 2019 at 5:26:08 PM permalink
Uggg. First thing you learn about real estate, don’t listen to the guy who quotes Dave Ramsey about real estate.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 30th, 2019 at 12:56:26 AM permalink
Anthony Jeselnik Netflix special

Need I say more?

p.s. I dedicate the opening joke to Nathan and BBB.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
GWAE
GWAE
May 30th, 2019 at 3:34:05 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Need I say more?

I have been wanting to watch it. Rogan says it is great.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
petroglyph
May 30th, 2019 at 4:35:02 AM permalink
Chernobyl on HBONow is blowing me away
The massive dangers and the heroes that risked their lives
Its riveting
IMDB has it as the highest rated series ever
over 79k votes, 9.7 rating out of 10
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2019 at 4:36:23 AM permalink

ok here I go again. every year on AGT there is a magic act that blows my mind. Did anyone see Eric? can an Asian magician win back to back?

Really?
GWAE
GWAE
May 30th, 2019 at 6:56:43 AM permalink

Really?

sure why not?

Last year Shin Lim was amazing. This year Eric does similar crazy stuff. My question is valid because will people voting vote for someone just like the previous year?
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2019 at 7:30:28 AM permalink

sure why not?

Last year Shin Lim was amazing. This year Eric does similar crazy stuff. My question is valid because will people voting vote for someone just like the previous year?

Going to see Shin Lim tomorrow night.
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2019 at 8:01:48 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Uggg. First thing you learn about real estate, don’t listen to the guy who quotes Dave Ramsey about real estate.

While I often quote Dave Ramsey, and I credit him for helping me break my seemingly endless cycle of debt, he disagrees with me on this. He says to buy a house as early as possible and pay it off as quickly as humanly possible.
He likes you to pay off your house in about seven years.
I'm the opposite. I say don't even think about buying a house until you have established yourself and can pay cash. Cash you don't need for other investments. Homes are simply not good investments, especially in Vegas.
I'd buy almost any property on Long Island or in certain areas of the country. Just not Vegas.
One could ignore the reality of the last twenty five years and hope for different results going forward, but I like to be pragmatic.
Growing up, my Aunt owned about a dozen houses. A couple were boarding houses but some were normal one family homes. Yet she lived in an apartment house. I didn't get it then, nor did my parents.
It wasn't until she passed away that anyone got a look at the financials and they were amazing. Eye opening, really.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2019 at 8:16:50 AM permalink

While I often quote Dave Ramsey, and I credit him for helping me break my seemingly endless cycle of debt, he disagrees with me on this. He says to buy a house as early as possible and pay it off as quickly as humanly possible.
I'm the opposite. I say don't even think about buying a house until you have established yourself and can pay cash. Cash you don't need for other investments. Homes are simply not good investments, especially in Vegas.
I'd buy almost any property on Long Island or in certain areas of the country. Just not Vegas.
One could ignore the reality of the last twenty five years and hope for different results going forward, but I like to be pragmatic.
Growing up, my Aunt owned about a dozen houses. A couple were boarding houses but some were normal one family homes. Yet she lived in an apartment house. I didn't get it then, nor did my parents.
It wasn't until she passed away that anyone got a look at the financials and they were amazing. Eye opening, really.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/report-rent-is-rising-higher-in-henderson-than-anywhere-else-in-the-us
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 30th, 2019 at 8:23:14 AM permalink

I say don't even think about buying a house until you have established yourself and can pay cash.

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 30th, 2019 at 8:27:11 AM permalink

Dave Ramsey. I was a fan for a short while until I realized it's the same thing over and over and over and over. Same dumb people who call in with the same dumb questions with the same answers. "No, you shouldn't buy that swimming pool on credit when you only have $50 in the bank." I get really annoyed when people call in just to tell him they are debt free.

I do love me some Bill Handle with the Handle On The Law show. I love it when he calls people idiots and then tells them, "You have absolutely no case", and then goes on to say how the caller is an idiot. Is Handle on the Law even on the radio anymore or is it all podcasts nowadays? I keep forgetting to search for his show via podcast when traveling, I think I will remember now that I mentioned it here.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
GWAE
GWAE
May 30th, 2019 at 8:41:04 AM permalink

Going to see Shin Lim tomorrow night.

Kinda mad about that. Let me know how it js
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2019 at 9:01:26 AM permalink

https://news3lv.com/news/local/report-rent-is-rising-higher-in-henderson-than-anywhere-else-in-the-us

Good thing I have a lease. My rent is evidently below not only Henderson but also Las Vegas .
I'm headed out today to look at a house in Pahrump. $125,000 for almost an acre of land with a manufactured home and two pads rented out for RVs. I think I can add one, maybe two more pads. If I can, that's $1500 a month income ,virtually maintenance free . The house needs a little updating but will produce a few hundred a month income. It also has a quonset hut that would be ideal for storing my stuff if it wasn't an hour away. After everything, it will give double digit returns on investment indefinitely. That's why you buy a house.
House= good investment.
Home= mediocre investment.

Nuff said.

(Mod edit for formatting)
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on May 30, 2019
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 30th, 2019 at 9:16:06 AM permalink

Need I say more?

That was mediocre, his jokes are all the same.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2019 at 9:43:06 AM permalink

Good thing I have a lease. My rent is evidently below not only Henderson but also Las Vegas .
I'm headed out today to look at a house in Pahrump. $125,000 for almost an acre of land with a manufactured home and two pads rented out for RVs. I think I can add one, maybe two more pads. If I can, that's $1500 a month income ,virtually maintenance free . The house needs a little updating but will produce a few hundred a month income. It also has a quonset hut that would be ideal for storing my stuff if it wasn't an hour away. After everything, it will give double digit returns on investment indefinitely. That's why you buy a house.
House= good investment.
Home= mediocre investment.

Nuff said.

Sounds wonderful. Whatever ROI you can muster out of the tweakers in Pahrump can be applied to cover your ever increasing rents in Henderson. Some people might choose to apply the ROI to a lower fixed expense on their dwelling that they can customize any way they want.
Is the Pahrump market more stable price wise than the Vegas market? You might be able to pick up the Casa De Trailer acquisition for 60k in a couple years.
DRich
DRich
May 30th, 2019 at 9:43:26 AM permalink

I do love me some Bill Handle with the Handle On The Law show. I love it when he calls people idiots and then tells them, "You have absolutely no case", and then goes on to say how the caller is an idiot. Is Handle on the Law even on the radio anymore or is it all podcasts nowadays? I keep forgetting to search for his show via podcast when traveling, I think I will remember now that I mentioned it here.

I listen to it on Stitcher every Monday while at work.
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2019 at 10:03:21 AM permalink

Sounds wonderful. Whatever ROI you can muster out of the tweakers in Pahrump can be applied to cover your ever increasing rents in Henderson. Some people might choose to apply the ROI to a lower fixed expense on their dwelling that they can customize any way they want.
Is the Pahrump market more stable price wise than the Vegas market? You might be able to pick up the Casa De Trailer acquisition for 60k in a couple years.

Yes, if they keep stacking 3% increases on my $949 rent, I'll be paying four digits a month in rent in only a couple more years. I doubt I'll be living here then anyway. Hopefully, the cycle continues and houses are 25% cheaper than they are right now.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 30th, 2019 at 10:15:42 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Need I say more?

He came out strong but then it started to get a little slow. I got halfway through it and realized it was not as good as his sets I have heard in the past. It's like he already blew his load and there's nowhere to go. Hopefully, he will come up with some new material in the future.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanked by
AxelWolf
May 30th, 2019 at 10:46:33 AM permalink

Quote: PokerGrinder

Need I say more?

He came out strong but then it started to get a little slow. I got halfway through it and realized it was not as good as his sets I have heard in the past. It's like he already blew his load and there's nowhere to go. Hopefully, he will come up with some new material in the future.

I watched about 25 minutes and it started to really drag. I turned it off at that point.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2019 at 11:02:40 AM permalink
Anybody see the Brendon Schuab comedy special? He's an interesting guy. Former football player, former UFC fighter turned stand up comic.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 30th, 2019 at 11:19:55 AM permalink

Whatever ROI you can muster out of the tweakers in Pahrump can be applied to cover your ever increasing rents in Henderson.

Often in humor there is truth. We say 'tweakers in Pahrump" and we say Hendertucky to refer to an under-educated population prone to alcohol use wherein the most common theme is barbed wire on the windows and silly pink flamingoes in the front 'yard' strewn with rocks. I wonder how much of this is true? Is it relevant to a landlord? Do tweakers bounce their rent checks? Do university graduates really get rocks tossed at them in Henderson?
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2019 at 11:29:36 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Often in humor there is truth. We say 'tweakers in Pahrump" and we say Hendertucky to refer to an under-educated population prone to alcohol use wherein the most common theme is barbed wire on the windows and silly pink flamingoes in the front 'yard' strewn with rocks. I wonder how much of this is true? Is it relevant to a landlord? Do tweakers bounce their rent checks? Do university graduates really get rocks tossed at them in Henderson?

I don't imagine collecting rent in a trailer park is ever easy. I lived in Henderson for a year and that was enough for me. They are always touting their low crime stats. It's a lie. The only place in the valley where I experienced crime. Well, I have witnessed crime downtown but never a victim. Had a motorcycle and cargo trailer stolen in two separate incidents from right in front of my apartment. Police reports filed and never made it into the crime reports. Neighborhood to this day still shows zero crime....lol.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 30th, 2019 at 11:42:28 AM permalink

I don't imagine collecting rent in a trailer park is ever easy. I lived in Henderson for a year and that was enough for me. They are always touting their low crime stats. It's a lie. The only place in the valley where I experienced crime. Well, I have witnessed crime downtown but never a victim. Had a motorcycle and cargo trailer stolen in two separate incidents from right in front of my apartment. Police reports filed and never made it into the crime reports. Neighborhood to this day still shows zero crime....lol.

I looked at a location list for sexual predators for Vegas once. It looked like one on every street.

Must be a quota system to have at least one.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
May 30th, 2019 at 11:46:33 AM permalink

Thankfully, Henderson survived and is thriving. Those damn fake stats keep causing Henderson to be included in multiple Best Places to Live/Best places to retire to.
Must be all that fake news.
DRich
DRich
May 30th, 2019 at 12:27:13 PM permalink

My address is Henderson, but I don't associate where I live with the City of Henderson. To me Henderson is the Water street area and about a 2 mile radius from there.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2019 at 12:43:39 PM permalink

Thankfully, Henderson survived and is thriving. Those damn fake stats keep causing Henderson to be included in multiple Best Places to Live/Best places to retire to.
Must be all that fake news.

I think that's why they cheat the stats, to stay on the list. I can say for certain their stats are fake news.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2019 at 12:45:41 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My address is Henderson, but I don't associate where I live with the City of Henderson. To me Henderson is the Water street area and about a 2 mile radius from there.

I lived near Sunset Station. I think the same way. I consider that Vegas. Ironically downtown Henderson is basically a ghetto.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 30th, 2019 at 12:56:47 PM permalink

I think that's why they cheat the stats, to stay on the list. I can say for certain their stats are fake news.

Stats often are fake, particularly in tourism oriented areas. Rape is always under-reported and misclassified. Campus police are often encouraged to make their arrests off-campus.

I just wonder if rents are any more dangerous to collect in Pahrump than in Henderson. I would think people in Pahrump would pay the rent because they have no place to go.

Sex offender registries are a joke, full of accusations by vindictive spouses or men who were unwise by a year or two. Current offenses are more likely to be a neighbor than an oft-scrutinized historical database.
DRich
DRich
May 30th, 2019 at 12:58:48 PM permalink

I lived near Sunset Station. I think the same way. I consider that Vegas. Ironically downtown Henderson is basically a ghetto.

I am near Green Valley Ranch Casino.
  • Jump to: