Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 20th, 2019 at 1:52:40 PM permalink
I've had really good lobster ravioli and very mediocre ones as well. If it's something v you think you'd like, try some more.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
May 20th, 2019 at 1:56:36 PM permalink
I discovered a great pizza place on the west side of town. Annemarie's, on Hulipi just off Tropicana. Authentic NY Italian food served in enormous amounts. Not a fancy place, but it seats about 60 and has a bar. Didn't notice if it had gaming.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
May 20th, 2019 at 2:09:36 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

We had some Italian neighbors who had the whole baked clams thing down to a t. Most of my family were into steamers but baked is the only way I go. I've never found clams seasoned the way they did. Theirs were more garlicky than the usual fare.

The only reason to put garlic on something as mild as clams or fish, is because it is old and the chef is trying to cover that up. imo

Put garlic on fresh seafood, and you can't taste the fish.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
May 20th, 2019 at 2:11:44 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

You say that like it's a bad thing. The whole reason I prefer swordfish is that it is basically a white steak.
petroglyph
petroglyph
Thanked by
MaxPen
May 20th, 2019 at 2:32:26 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

You say that like it's a bad thing. The whole reason I prefer swordfish is that it is basically a white steak.

Funny, living in Ak and almost unlimited access to different species of fish, it's funny to see people down below go ga ga over halibut. After raising a family on it, feeding the family hundreds of pounds per year, I find halibut to be just tasteless white protein. Like you say, that's not bad, but the halibut folks remember as being delicious is because of whatever the cook added to it.
I've eaten enough fish to where I prefer the kinds that have flavor of their own, like cods, perch, greenling, or yelloweye for saltwater whitefish. It's always best fresh. Halibut will hold some flavor for a few days. After that it's pretty bland. imo

The trick to get kids to eat a whole lot of fish yearly, is to make it taste like anything but fish. One trick employed is to disguise salmon with ketchup, mustard, mayo and hard boiled eggs, bits of pickle, spread it on bread an tell them they are eating tuna.

I agree with you about the swordfish, pretty boring.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 20th, 2019 at 2:41:54 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Face, you literally mad me LOL! This perfectly describes the last time I went clamming (maybe 15 years or so ago). It's all fun and games until you actually eat the clams!

This makes me glad =)

You are messing with the wrong kind of clams. Steamers are good, but razors....ahhh, the kind. Big fat razor, milking, would get you to put down that blunt and try to eat your weight in double crackered, pan fried clams.

What are you trying to chew out that way, some big old horse clams, or pink necks? Not geoducks?

No clue. Some sort of elliptio, but I'm not learned in mollusks.

I refuse to believe these things can ever be appetizing. Oysters, squid, mussels, clams, octo, every one is like a very soft rubber that tastes like what you prepared it in. I give you hot sauce on a deep fried Mister Twister™ and I dare you to tell me the difference.

They're not exactly gross ('cept when eaten still alive), but let's not pretend this is above picking grubs out of logs =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
petroglyph
petroglyph
May 20th, 2019 at 2:53:49 PM permalink
Quote: Face

This makes me glad =)

No clue. Some sort of elliptio, but I'm not learned in mollusks.

I refuse to believe these things can ever be appetizing. Oysters, squid, mussels, clams, octo, every one is like a very soft rubber that tastes like what you prepared it in....

That's what I thought, you aren't doing it right : ] Why are you chewing soft rubber in the first place?

There are people that think venison tastes gamey? All in how it's taken care of.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 20th, 2019 at 3:31:09 PM permalink
without clams there would be no clam chowder - which can be divine

for some of the best [when in Maine] it's the Maine Diner in Wells [good lobster rolls too]

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
May 20th, 2019 at 3:37:15 PM permalink

Funny, living in Ak and almost unlimited access to different species of fish, it's funny to see people down below go ga ga over halibut. After raising a family on it, feeding the family hundreds of pounds per year, I find halibut to be just tasteless white protein. Like you say, that's not bad, but the halibut folks remember as being delicious is because of whatever the cook added to it.
I've eaten enough fish to where I prefer the kinds that have flavor of their own, like cods, perch, greenling, or yelloweye for saltwater whitefish. It's always best fresh. Halibut will hold some flavor for a few days. After that it's pretty bland. imo

The trick to get kids to eat a whole lot of fish yearly, is to make it taste like anything but fish. One trick employed is to disguise salmon with ketchup, mustard, mayo and hard boiled eggs, bits of pickle, spread it on bread an tell them they are eating tuna.

I agree with you about the swordfish, pretty boring.

I just tried fried perch pretty recently in Mich. Definitely some of the best fish I've had.
billryan
billryan
May 20th, 2019 at 3:43:18 PM permalink

The only reason to put garlic on something as mild as clams or fish, is because it is old and the chef is trying to cover that up. imo

You say that as if its a bad thing. Seafood is a delivery system for the tartar sauce. We'd harvest the clams ourselves, usually the day before. You just had to walk around the shallows barefoot with your toes feeling for them.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
May 20th, 2019 at 3:50:58 PM permalink

So racist.

I prefer dark meat

:)
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
May 20th, 2019 at 4:18:27 PM permalink
Here in Tampa
We eat fresh Grouper
Frenchy's is the place to go
They have their own boats catching grouper in the gulf
5 Restaurants in 1 small town, Clearwater Beach. A few within walking distance from each other. The fresh grouper is that good

https://frenchysonline.com/
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
May 20th, 2019 at 4:22:38 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

So racist.

I prefer dark meat

:)

Do you consume that dressed as a plantation owner?

darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
May 20th, 2019 at 5:46:32 PM permalink

Do you consume that dressed as a plantation owner?

I make them pick cotton. Candy. For me
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 20th, 2019 at 7:51:49 PM permalink

Reminds me, I don't why people buy a $30 steak, and mask the taste with 25 cents worth of steak sauce.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 20th, 2019 at 11:36:58 PM permalink
Put garlic on a boat's hull or water pipe, clams and muscles will go elsewhere.

Grouper retail sales exceed the Grouper wholesale catch by 300 per cent. You are paying for grouper but often you are not eating it. I was just in Safety Harbor where raw clams and muscles abound: bait for fish, bait for restaurant customers who want to swill pineapple beer. I take my fish grilled, not fried and not raw. And not as an excuse to eat tarter sauce or cole slaw.

Fish should not be served with tartar sauce any more than steaks should be served with sugary condiments.

I put garlic on everything or else my ticker will not tick.

blue water sailors serve fish with garlic, onions, chilies, lemons, limes, etc.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
michael99000
May 21st, 2019 at 3:08:16 AM permalink

I think different people's taste buds give them different experiences. The best swordfish, cooked fresh, explodes with rich, buttery, juicy flavor. Frozen, cut too thin, old, is chewy and dry and a huge disappointment. Almost always overcooked-I've given up ordering it in restaurants. Had it the first time 1988 Joe's South Beach, and they spoiled me for life.

Fresh tilapia, with garlic and lemon and a bit of either paprika or chili powder, is fantastic, sweet and tender and a flavor all its own. Same with a little different spicing, for grouper, flounder, mahimahi.

No idea why anyone likes salmon. Smoked = amazing. Baked = meh at best.

Never had fresh halibut or cod, but frozen, both make great filets baked, love tartar sauce on the side.

I don't think we'll have fish as food for much longer. Maybe 10 years. A lot of the good stuff has already disappeared from most menus.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 21st, 2019 at 3:19:34 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think different people's taste buds give them different experiences. The best swordfish, cooked fresh, explodes with rich, buttery, juicy flavor. Frozen, cut too thin, old, is chewy and dry and a huge disappointment. Almost always overcooked-I've given up ordering it in restaurants. Had it the first time 1988 Joe's South Beach, and they spoiled me for life.

Fresh tilapia, with garlic and lemon and a bit of either paprika or chili powder, is fantastic, sweet and tender and a flavor all its own. Same with a little different spicing, for grouper, flounder, mahimahi.

No idea why anyone likes salmon. Smoked = amazing. Baked = meh at best.

Never had fresh halibut or cod, but frozen, both make great filets baked, love tartar sauce on the side.

I don't think we'll have fish as food for much longer. Maybe 10 years. A lot of the good stuff has already disappeared from most menus.

As long as I can keep getting shark fin soup at my local underground Chinese restaurant, I have no problems.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 21st, 2019 at 3:19:51 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I just tried fried perch pretty recently in Mich. Definitely some of the best fish I've had.

I grew up on fried Perch. That was a meal we would have once a week. It is also one of the reasons I rarely fish anymore. On Lake Erie we had a limit of 50 perch per person per day. Many days a year you would easily catch the limit. Our family of five would go out and bring home 250 Perch. As a young kid, coming home and cleaning fish for 10 hours was miserable.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 21st, 2019 at 3:55:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I grew up on fried Perch. That was a meal we would have once a week. It is also one of the reasons I rarely fish anymore. On Lake Erie we had a limit of 50 perch per person per day. Many days a year you would easily catch the limit. Our family of five would go out and bring home 250 Perch. As a young kid, coming home and cleaning fish for 10 hours was miserable.

Yeah, growing up in the northern Midwest, we fished and pan-fried perch, croppies, and sunfish in small lakes and streams. Grwat breakfast with eggs. We would go well north a couple times a year for walleye and northerns, all great freshwater food. However, the mass of tiny bones they each had - yikes. Always an adventure to eat them, but delicious.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
May 21st, 2019 at 6:51:53 AM permalink
We always vacationed on a lake in Norther WI growing up. We now have a house on that lake. One of my favorite meals growing up was the fresh fish fry of our catch from that day. Perch, Crappie and blue hill. Sometimes we would get a walleye or a Northern although those two, if they get too big taste a bit gamey
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 21st, 2019 at 8:22:39 AM permalink
People who grow up shore side are lucky. Tide goes out, clams and muscles harvested. Fish can be caught.

I darn near fainted when I saw clammers coming in and getting paid nearly a grand in cash by a shore side fish broker.

"Achi rice, salt fish on ice and the rum is good any time of year" meant cod but now stocks are depleted and cod is hard to find in the Caribbean. Elsewhere Vietnamese, Koreans and Japanese fish to extinction. In the Philippines, a man uses cyanide to fish or else he sells a few of his daughters to the sex traffickers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
RS
May 21st, 2019 at 10:24:07 AM permalink
so, this guy walked into the library and said to the librarian ................... "can you help me find this book on suicide"

the librarian looked at the guy and said ........................... "eff no, I'm not going to help you. you won't bring it back"....... 😃
Please don't feed the trolls
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 21st, 2019 at 12:31:44 PM permalink
Perhaps the only repeatable one from the fling.

You've probably noticed that when ducks fly south for the winter, they fly in a "V" formation. You might also have noticed that one side of the V is always longer than the other side. Why is it that one side always longer than the other?

it has more ducks in it
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 21st, 2019 at 1:25:39 PM permalink
Lol that is definitely the only repeatable one. I am still waiting to use the tower guard one. I might go a long time before using that one. Just thinking it now made me lol
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
May 21st, 2019 at 4:39:17 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Lol that is definitely the only repeatable one. I am still waiting to use the tower guard one. I might go a long time before using that one. Just thinking it now made me lol

Quote: RS

RIP Rigondeaux's grandfather.

For reals? Or is this a euphemism?

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/32655-wov-spring-fling-may-11-2019-planning-thread/50/#post718488

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:28:21 AM permalink
bettors cashed on Game of Throne bet offered by some books knew the answer before they bet - it was leaked

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/us/game-of-thrones-predictions-betting.html
RS
RS
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:49:47 AM permalink
Is Games of Thrones even any good? IMO it's terrible, but then again, I've never seen any of it.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:56:43 AM permalink

Is Games of Thrones even any good?

It is Sopranos enter Middle Earth, beautiful females get brutally raped and everybody gets rich. Sounds good to me, particularly that everybody gets rich part.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
May 22nd, 2019 at 7:32:29 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

bettors cashed on Game of Throne bet offered by some books knew the answer before they bet - it was leaked

I'm ok with it
You have to be a stupid bookie to take action on a result that was known to a lot of people. How many people does it take to film that last episode. A ton. All the people on the set. Then it goes to the editing and music scoring people. Easily hundreds of people knew the ending before it was broadcast
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 22nd, 2019 at 7:54:18 AM permalink

Is Games of Thrones even any good? IMO it's terrible, but then again, I've never seen any of it.

I tried to watch it 3 times over the last 8 years. Got 2-3 episodes in and was done with it. No idea why people liked it so much. Terrible is right.
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2019 at 9:41:01 AM permalink
Some people have good taste, others taste good.
I couldn't get into GOT the first season. Caught an episode in season 3 or 4 that caught my interest and I eventually watched the series. I'm not a list sort of person but if I made one of top ten television dramas, it might sneak in at nine or ten.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
beachbumbabsodiousgambit
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:01:41 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I tried to watch it 3 times over the last 8 years. Got 2-3 episodes in and was done with it. No idea why people liked it so much. Terrible is right.

If it came out when I was 12, I'd have loved it. I liked that D&d type stuff.

I watched most of season 1 thinking I might still enjoy it but it was just boring.

What's odd to me... Most people were not into this stuff as kids. Why are they suddenly into it as adults?

It's like out of the blue everyone just started playing with GI Joes
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:24:48 PM permalink
Lord of the Rings has sold a hundred million books and spawned billions of dollars worth of movies. Somebody has liked this stuff for a long time.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:44:10 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

What's odd to me... Most people were not into this stuff as kids. Why are they suddenly into it as adults?

a) People's tastes change, or discover things they didn't know were out there. What's wrong with "suddenly" being into something?

b) Sword and sorcery movies were big in the 50's and 60's what with all those Hercules and Ray Harryhausen movies. They had a resurgence in the 80's, starting with Conan the Barbarian, and again in the early 2000's with Lord of the Rings. This stuff has been popular for a while, but it seems to come in waves, unlike a lot of other genres.

c) Really good, high quality sword and sorcery stuff is hard to come by. It's a hard genre to do well. An average movie-goer or TV watcher may not be into the low budget, low quality stuff, but if it's good, they might watch it.

Quote:

It's like out of the blue everyone just started playing with GI Joes

When are you talking about? Now? Or the 80's?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:20:57 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I also posted up something similar to this however the bets were a lock since the episode accidentally aired hours before it was supposed to.

If you keep up with this type of stuff there are bets you can find that are 99% locks. Does anyone know how much they were taking on the bets? That always seems to be a problem, you can't get very much money down.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:23:11 PM permalink

IMO it's terrible, but then again, I've never seen any of it.

Sounds like you would make a good troll since that's one of their qualifications. Here is the proof, just that statement alone triggered me.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:32:01 PM permalink
Notice how GoT begins by fading in to a snowy badlands full of criminals about to meet their fate via mythical, seemingly immortal creatures? Proud northerners? Pompous oligarchs? Political scheming for ultimate power among several factions all with spurious claims to the throne, all while ignoring destruction of all mankind from the actual enemy. What is the exclamation "CUT OFF HIS HEAD!!" if not a word shout that turns a man into pieces of one?

30mm people picked up Skyrim. Bound to be some interested in the series.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:33:03 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I also posted up something similar to this however the bets were a lock since the episode accidentally aired hours before it was supposed to.

Does anyone know how much they were taking on the bets? That always seems to be a problem, you can't get very much money down.

Sounds as if it might be an opportunity for a pool of bettors who kicked back a fee for getting the skinny on these "locks".
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:47:11 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Sounds as if it might be an opportunity for a pool of bettors who kicked back a fee for getting the skinny on these "locks".

We had some good information on the halftime SB show a few years ago, but you never know 100% the information is a lock. Any small bet moved the line significantly and it was getting a little crazy. They put limits on some of that stuff, so you couldn't really crush them. They are offshore books so you are gambling that they will pay you. their set limits might have been a good thing as you are less likely to get stiffed.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 22nd, 2019 at 7:16:53 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

a) People's tastes change, or discover things they didn't know were out there. What's wrong with "suddenly" being into something?

b) Sword and sorcery movies were big in the 50's and 60's what with all those Hercules and Ray Harryhausen movies. They had a resurgence in the 80's, starting with Conan the Barbarian, and again in the early 2000's with Lord of the Rings. This stuff has been popular for a while, but it seems to come in waves, unlike a lot of other genres.

c) Really good, high quality sword and sorcery stuff is hard to come by. It's a hard genre to do well. An average movie-goer or TV watcher may not be into the low budget, low quality stuff, but if it's good, they might watch it.

When are you talking about? Now? Or the 80's?

Yeah. But this is stuff that's normally been for children or adolescents.

It makes sense for an adult to like it out of nostalgia. But it's really weird to me to not be into it as a kid then take it up as an adult.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
May 22nd, 2019 at 11:00:28 PM permalink
I follow some discount travel blogs/sites but I’ve never booked anything that they’ve found until today. $200 usd rt from Winnipeg to Havana Cuba, crazy price. My buddy Eric and I couldn’t pass up the deal.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 22nd, 2019 at 11:24:02 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

I follow some discount travel blogs/sites but I’ve never booked anything that they’ve found until today. $200 usd rt from Winnipeg to Havana Cuba, crazy price. My buddy Eric and I couldn’t pass up the deal.

I like to go to map mode on Google flights. Leave the parameters as wide as possible. Move the cursor across the globe and watch great deals pop up.

Though that one is really exceptional.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 23rd, 2019 at 12:36:47 AM permalink
Perhaps it's a trap to capture human slaves.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
May 23rd, 2019 at 12:37:56 AM permalink
this did not work out well:

"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 24th, 2019 at 3:32:56 AM permalink
he buried Momma in the backyard and kept cashing her S.S. checks

he's not the first to do this

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/arizona-man-mother-buried-in-backyard/index.html
GWAE
GWAE
May 24th, 2019 at 7:00:59 AM permalink
I hate going to websites because they always lead me into a rabbit hole. After reading the article above I click on
https://www.editorchoice.com/abandoned-places/

I really want to visit Pripyat. I think this was in a movie but cant remember which one.

does anyone else end up in these rabbit holes?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 24th, 2019 at 7:08:59 AM permalink

I hate going to websites because they always lead me into a rabbit hole.

I think you are referring to what is known as "click bait". Enticing headlines, but lots of ads.
GWAE
GWAE
May 24th, 2019 at 7:28:38 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I think you are referring to what is known as "click bait". Enticing headlines, but lots of ads.

the one that I have been looking at for 30 minutes now, which I posted above doesnt really have any ads. I usually think of clickbait when it is like see who was arrested today and they have a picture of brad pit and then it is something completely different. I clicked on one that said see all of the abandoned places and it lists a ton of places that are abandoned with some pictures.
GWAE
GWAE
May 24th, 2019 at 7:35:18 AM permalink
ok after looking at those it lead right into ways to break up with people. I might as well just leave work since I am apparently unmotivated today.
  • Jump to: