Thread Rating:

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
November 25th, 2017 at 3:31:29 PM permalink
Why would anyone not be in favor of net neutrality? If you think it could possibly benefit the consumer in any way, I have some sad news for you.....
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 25th, 2017 at 4:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Both of those situations you listed are evidence that the internet is a convenience. I don't disagree with that at all. But I still don't think it is a vital necessity on the same level as utilities or food. Not even remotely.

Try having a bank account without an email address and a phone number. Try getting a library card or filling an Rx without being asked for a phone number and email address. Try navigating a boat when electronic charts are official and paper charts are rarely updated.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
November 25th, 2017 at 5:44:30 PM permalink
The internet is essential to normal functioning in contemporary America. Job hunting and training. Communicating for work. Hate reading crazy yelp reviews. Making sports bets. Creating troll facebook pages. Buying things on the Amazon wish lists of cam whores.

The necessity thing is a bit of a mute point unless you believe our representatives should be concerned with nothing more than our access to food and water.

If that's not your position it becomes a discussion about what is in the best interests of the citizenry.

It seems like net neutrality is good. But after some reading i still don't understand it.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
November 25th, 2017 at 6:21:25 PM permalink
I forgot who said it, so I'll just steal the line and say I came up with it. "Chances are, if the government is trying to do something that sounds super awesome and for your benefit, it's probably not that good and something you should be careful about, or something like that." -RS

What started it? Was there a problem in the past and the government was like, "We gotta fix this problem."? I don't remember there ever actually being a case where an ISP bogged down one service in favor of another service (ie: Netflix vs Hulu). I'm not saying this hasn't happened.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 25th, 2017 at 6:26:36 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

It seems like net neutrality is good. But after some reading i still don't understand it.

More or less, ending net neutrality would allow ISP’s to charge you differently or limit your access based on what you are using bandwidth for.

With electricity for example, it doesn’t matter if you are plugging in a Dyson Vacuum or a Hoover Vacuum, or a microwave or a fan, you’ll be charged the same amount per kw/h no matter what is consuming that electricity.

Ending net neutrality would give ISP’s the ability to say “Hey, it’s $25/mo more of you want to use Netflix” or “YouTube will cost you $1/GB extra since you are subscribing to that instead of our cable service”.

Here is image that is often passed around of what the end of net neutrality COULD mean for the consumer:

Another thing that it would allow for is, ISP’s like Comcast and Verizon could go to a Netflix or a Hulu and say “Hey your service is going to work like sh$!t on our network less you pay us millions of dollars.” The problem with this is, it creates a huge barrier to entry for any new and innovative services to be created. If net neutrality wasn’t a thing 10-15 years ago, Netflix may very well not exist. And that kind of “network access fee” would ultimately be passed on to the consumer.

This kind of deregulation may be all well and good if we were talking about a product with a large amount of competition. But most American households only have a one or two choices for an ISP.

What the ISP’s will do with this newfound power is yet to be determined, but what I outlined explains some of what it makes possible.
RS
RS
November 25th, 2017 at 6:50:09 PM permalink
Quote: GamerFreak

What the ISP’s will do with this newfound power is yet to be determined, but what I outlined explains some of what it makes possible.

From what I (sort of) understand, this isn't some "newfound power". Net neutrality started in 2015 and they (ISPs) could do as they pleased before that. I alluded to that in my previous post. I'd think it's more like un-doing a recent regulation and not so much as "de-regulation", at least how it comes to mind.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 25th, 2017 at 7:38:05 PM permalink
Quote: RS

From what I (sort of) understand, this isn't some "newfound power". Net neutrality started in 2015 and they (ISPs) could do as they pleased before that. I alluded to that in my previous post. I'd think it's more like un-doing a recent regulation and not so much as "de-regulation", at least how it comes to mind.

ISP’s were declared a “common carrier” in 2015, but the FCC successfully enforced rules for things like prohibiting ISP’s to slow down file sharing services prior to that.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 25th, 2017 at 8:09:59 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Ending net neutrality would give ISP’s the ability to say “Hey, it’s $25/mo more of you want to use Netflix” or “YouTube will cost you $1/GB extra since you are subscribing to that instead of our cable service”.

Cox has been doing that with slight variations.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 26th, 2017 at 9:31:47 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the problem is that they are going to say something like, you have unlimited internet, but after you have used a certain amount of data we are going to slow the speed down to such and such. but THEY ARE GOING TO SLOW IT DOWN MORE THAN THEY SAY THEY ARE and its going to take forever to load some videos and a long time to load a newspaper article from a site that has a lot of other junk on it. they are going to effectively put you in a headlock and twist your arm to get you to pay for a higher level of service.

If they do it more than they say in the agreement you have the basis to file a lawsuit. Those agreements are legal contracts.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 26th, 2017 at 3:31:49 PM permalink

ISP’s were declared a “common carrier” in 2015, but the FCC successfully enforced rules for things like prohibiting ISP’s to slow down file sharing services prior to that.

If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 26th, 2017 at 5:51:06 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I guess what I mean is, whether or not it manifests like the infographic of packages I posted remains to be seen. Because up until this upcoming vote, the whole “+$5 for Netflix and YouTube” type thing was not possible under FCC rules.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 27th, 2017 at 6:34:25 AM permalink

I guess what I mean is, whether or not it manifests like the infographic of packages I posted remains to be seen. Because up until this upcoming vote, the whole “+$5 for Netflix and YouTube” type thing was not possible under FCC rules.

Certainly it could. Partially or completely. Or that could be just the beginning of how it will manifest.

One of the biggest issues, IMO, is we've had 40 years of near-monopoly by service areas for cable installations. You can do satellite (unreliable due to rain fade), or lately nodal boxes like ATT (neighbors have that, constant service calls) , or you can do the ONE cable provider most municipalities allowed in their area.

We've already seen several licensing arguments where I live. There have been times we couldn't watch ABC or FOX in recent years because they were disputing broadcast contracts with our cable system. We were also very slow to get each networks on-line access because they hadn't negotiated the link/access fee, and some took years. Some still aren't available that way, though the cable provides the channel.

If cable didn't have utility-type monopolies, how fast do you think they would have provided the content, and at s reasonable price? I think, looking at communities with choices, it would be a whole lot faster. But instead of opening up that competition, they're narrowing it further, allowing the single POC to dictate what you can see and how well it operates, for further profit.

They're having their cake and eating it too. Utilities should not be allowed to constrain fair usage.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
November 27th, 2017 at 10:29:15 AM permalink
That 'first and last mile' is often taken care of by municipal connections which may be why the biggie cable companies are trying to defeat elections in Colorado that bypass the 'no municipality owned ISPs' statute.

Monopolies always try to defend their monopoly. Long ago one electricity subscriber decided to generate some of their own power and the utility shut them off completely saying 'you buy all your electricity from us, or you don't guy any of it from us' since our monopoly status is our only real asset.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
November 27th, 2017 at 3:24:04 PM permalink
Hey, what does this mean in my Total Rewards offers:

"3 free nts (where available) or calendar rates"

What's the difference between a free rate and a calendar rate?
RS
RS
November 27th, 2017 at 3:45:46 PM permalink
My Netflix thing just said it's gonna start charging me $13.99 a month (up by $2), starting Dec. 28'th.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
November 27th, 2017 at 3:50:26 PM permalink
Get a hacked firestick and give them nothing
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 27th, 2017 at 3:55:16 PM permalink

My Netflix thing just said it's gonna start charging me $13.99 a month (up by $2), starting Dec. 28'th.

What plan is that? I have streaming only and it's $7.99.
RS
RS
November 27th, 2017 at 3:56:53 PM permalink
It's the super 1337 mega plan. Idk what it's called, but it's the top 1. Right now it's the $11.99/mo one.

MaxPen get me a hacked firestick plz.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 27th, 2017 at 4:15:09 PM permalink
Anyone ever try one of those gear like latching belts ASOT (as seen on TV).

Even as a kid I found belts were often either too tight or too loose. I believe I even punched extra holes sometimes in leather.

Half the stuff or more on ASOT is often not as good as promised.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2017 at 4:30:03 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Anyone ever try one of those gear like latching belts ASOT (as seen on TV).

Even as a kid I found belts were often either too tight or too loose. I believe I even punched extra holes sometimes in leather.

Half the stuff or more on ASOT is often not as good as promised.

I am skeptical of all the As Seen On TV products. I did try Flex-Tape recently and it failed miserably.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 27th, 2017 at 4:42:40 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am skeptical of all the As Seen On TV products. I did try Flex-Tape recently and it failed miserably.

One of the news reporters here will get together with a viewer and home test some of these products. Most do fail. That's the power of television commercial editing.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
rxwine
rxwine
November 27th, 2017 at 4:49:01 PM permalink

Guess it probably won't hold pants up either?

The hangers that hold multiple items did work as promised. Now they sell them lots of places. And the shower curtain with no rings. Also can buy that type anywhere now.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
November 27th, 2017 at 7:10:24 PM permalink
The existence of shower curtains is a pet peeve of mine. They are literally awful in every possible sense, other than they're cheap.

1. It seems most people are stupid when it comes to shower curtains and don't put the curtain on the INSIDE of the tub, but the outside. This way, all the rain or w/e that falls down, goes directly onto the bathroom ground, instead of back into the tub and down the drain. Although, this is more of a "user error" problem, but still, they're bad news bears.

2. Sure, it's simple (physics?), warm air + cold air = suction. But still, it's annoying, having that flappy motherf***er flap around when you're trynna shower. Like nahhh, get outta here. Thankfully at least sometimes they have magnets (or weights?) at the bottom that work maybe 10% of the time. A complete nuisance, nevertheless.

3. They're bad in all properties, except MAYBE hotels/motels. If you have it at your own property, well, you shouldn't, because they're annoying. If you have them at a rental property, then your dumb*** tenants are gonna **** up your bathroom and start growin' mold n stuff in there.

4. You can't put anything on top of them. With a sliding door, there's a rail on top where you can put your tooth brush, tooth paste, razor + shaving cream, shampoo, soap, and other misc. stuff (like face soap, listerine, etc.).
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 27th, 2017 at 7:52:44 PM permalink

The existence of shower curtains is a pet peeve of mine. They are literally awful in every possible sense, other than they're cheap.

1. It seems most people are stupid when it comes to shower curtains and don't put the curtain on the INSIDE of the tub, but the outside. This way, all the rain or w/e that falls down, goes directly onto the bathroom ground, instead of back into the tub and down the drain. Although, this is more of a "user error" problem, but still, they're bad news bears.

2. Sure, it's simple (physics?), warm air + cold air = suction. But still, it's annoying, having that flappy motherf***er flap around when you're trynna shower. Like nahhh, get outta here. Thankfully at least sometimes they have magnets (or weights?) at the bottom that work maybe 10% of the time. A complete nuisance, nevertheless.

3. They're bad in all properties, except MAYBE hotels/motels. If you have it at your own property, well, you shouldn't, because they're annoying. If you have them at a rental property, then your dumb*** tenants are gonna **** up your bathroom and start growin' mold n stuff in there.

4. You can't put anything on top of them. With a sliding door, there's a rail on top where you can put your tooth brush, tooth paste, razor + shaving cream, shampoo, soap, and other misc. stuff (like face soap, listerine, etc.).

I never had any of these issues.

1. You’re supposed to have a shower curtain and a shower liner. The liner goes on the inside and keeps water from splashing out. The curtain goes on the outside and is just there to look nice.

2. Never had this problem. Maybe because I have a tub/shower combo type thing? The shower liner stays put and does it’s job.

3. What’s my other choice without hiring a contractor?

4. No shelves in the shower? Toothpaste? Are you one of those weirdos that brushes in the shower?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
TigerWu
November 27th, 2017 at 8:06:12 PM permalink

They mean that, depending on what property you choose and what nights you try to reserve, they will either comp them or offer you a reduced rate compared to what they will offer a random traveler who doesn't have any prior relationship with them.

It indicates you have sort of a mid-point relationship with them based on past play. Higher hourly play rates would likely bump you into all-comp offers.

Generally, the earlier you book, the more nights will be available as comps. You're also likely to get comped Sun-Thurs, even on short notice. But you'll probably be charged something most Fri-Sat nights you try to book.

Also, if you are trying to book Vegas for a particular 3 night run, for example, where they have many properties, you will probably get offered calendar rates at Caesars, Planet Hollywood, and/or Paris, mostly comps at Harrah's or Flamingo, and comps at Rio and/or Quad. (Obviously I don't know, but that's roughly how they rank their properties by demand.)

You can go to TR online, sign in, pick a particular 3 nights, your destination city, and "all properties". Change the nights and/or city, your offers will likely change. You don't have to book anything to see what's available.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
November 27th, 2017 at 10:04:09 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

They mean that, depending on what property you choose and what nights you try to reserve, they will either comp them or offer you a reduced rate compared to what they will offer a random traveler who doesn't have any prior relationship with them.

It indicates you have sort of a mid-point relationship with them based on past play. Higher hourly play rates would likely bump you into all-comp offers.

Generally, the earlier you book, the more nights will be available as comps. You're also likely to get comped Sun-Thurs, even on short notice. But you'll probably be charged something most Fri-Sat nights you try to book.

Also, if you are trying to book Vegas for a particular 3 night run, for example, where they have many properties, you will probably get offered calendar rates at Caesars, Planet Hollywood, and/or Paris, mostly comps at Harrah's or Flamingo, and comps at Rio and/or Quad. (Obviously I don't know, but that's roughly how they rank their properties by demand.)

You can go to TR online, sign in, pick a particular 3 nights, your destination city, and "all properties". Change the nights and/or city, your offers will likely change. You don't have to book anything to see what's available.

Might be tough to get a comp at the Quad these days Babs 🤣
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
RS
RS
November 28th, 2017 at 12:13:30 AM permalink

I never had any of these issues.

1. You’re supposed to have a shower curtain and a shower liner. The liner goes on the inside and keeps water from splashing out. The curtain goes on the outside and is just there to look nice.

2. Never had this problem. Maybe because I have a tub/shower combo type thing? The shower liner stays put and does it’s job.

3. What’s my other choice without hiring a contractor?

4. No shelves in the shower? Toothpaste? Are you one of those weirdos that brushes in the shower?

1. I suppose that's true, but the only times I recall seeing a curtain + liner is at decent hotels. Poor hotels or motels seem to only ever have a liner w/o curtain.

2. Without the curtain, the "liner" (new thing I learned) flies up n stuff.

3. Do it yourself, hire a contractor, or a buy a new house. All of these are rather easy.

4. That's where else would I brush my teeth, NOT in the shower? Are you one of those savages that DOESN"T brush his teeth in the shower?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 28th, 2017 at 3:44:49 AM permalink

1. I suppose that's true, but the only times I recall seeing a curtain + liner is at decent hotels. Poor hotels or motels seem to only ever have a liner w/o curtain.

2. Without the curtain, the "liner" (new thing I learned) flies up n stuff.

3. Do it yourself, hire a contractor, or a buy a new house. All of these are rather easy.

4. That's where else would I brush my teeth, NOT in the shower? Are you one of those savages that DOESN"T brush his teeth in the shower?

This liner thing will change your life. I guess not if you are having this problem at a hotel, though.

I use a Water Pick flosser and rechargeable electric toothbrush. That would be like taking a toaster in the bathtub. But why brush in the shower anyway. And you wet your toothbrush with hot water? Ugh....
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
November 28th, 2017 at 9:48:45 AM permalink
For those that are interested;

10-facts-that-show-exactly-whatll-happen-without-net-neutrality
DRich
DRich
November 28th, 2017 at 10:42:04 AM permalink
I am still not convinced as I believe it should be a free market economy. If your ISP isn't to your liking, change ISP's. ISP's will eventually have to compete with each other and their services will expand and prices will drop. There are currently over 1000 ISPs in the U.S. and that number will grow dramatically if customers demand a better solution.
rxwine
rxwine
November 28th, 2017 at 11:09:32 AM permalink

I am still not convinced as I believe it should be a free market economy. If your ISP isn't to your liking, change ISP's. ISP's will eventually have to compete with each other and their services will expand and prices will drop. There are currently over 1000 ISPs in the U.S. and that number will grow dramatically if customers demand a better solution.

Do you have some reason to believe ISPs won't compete under net neutrality?
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 28th, 2017 at 11:16:54 AM permalink

I am still not convinced as I believe it should be a free market economy.

Net Neutrality ENSURES a free market economy with regards to the internet. Getting rid of it allows large corporations to monopolize and strangle out smaller companies and their competition.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
RogerKint
November 28th, 2017 at 11:17:20 AM permalink

BTW, why the hell do casinos operate the way the do if customer desire is so powerful? Who wouldn't want better odds out of 100 people. I'd almost bet the consensus is over 90 out of 100 want better odds. The low return games are there because you even though people play them and tell you they don't like the return, they apparently can't stop playing them.

SO much for the power of the consumer. FAIL.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
November 28th, 2017 at 11:26:59 AM permalink

That’s the problem though! For 90%+ of US subscribers have one choice for an ISP, MAYBE two. These companies truly have a monopoly/duopoly in most regions. And they lobby the FCC and Lawmakers to keep it that way.

I’d agree with your free market argument 100% if I could choose from 1000 ISP’s like you suggest, but that is not the reality for me or most Americans.

How many choices do you have where you live?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Thanked by
gamerfreakRSbeachbumbabs
November 28th, 2017 at 11:30:29 AM permalink

That’s the problem though! For 90%+ of US subscribers have one choice for an ISP, MAYBE two. These companies truly have a monopoly/duopoly in most regions. And they lobby bribe the FCC and Lawmakers to keep it that way.

I’d agree with your free market argument 100% if I could choose from 1000 ISP’s like you suggest, but that is not the reality for me or most Americans.

How many choices do you have where you live?

Fixed that for you.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
November 28th, 2017 at 1:14:14 PM permalink
Got a call today from a Host from a Caesars property the called showed up as a local call ,however it was from out of state.
When I questioned her about it she said it's how their phone system is doing it now.
I thought scammers were the only ones doing this.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
RS
RS
November 28th, 2017 at 1:40:05 PM permalink

This liner thing will change your life. I guess not if you are having this problem at a hotel, though.

I use a Water Pick flosser and rechargeable electric toothbrush. That would be like taking a toaster in the bathtub. But why brush in the shower anyway. And you wet your toothbrush with hot water? Ugh....

An electric toothbrush won't zap you like a toaster might. I mean, unless it was made in a rigged Chinese prison, then maybe it would....

Of course I wet my tooth brush with hot water. Are you saying there exist people who use cold water, or heaven forbid, brush dry?
rxwine
rxwine
November 28th, 2017 at 2:08:39 PM permalink
I played Monopoly wrong.

Quote:

According to Monopoly's official rules, when you land on a property space and you choose not to buy it, the property must be auctioned off by the banker, and the other players can bid on it.

- The auction speeds up the game, makes it more strategic, and allows players to buy properties for less than they usually would.

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 28th, 2017 at 2:14:44 PM permalink

When you go to the web site to book it will either give you a free rate or a "calendar rate" which is a steeply discounted rate.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
RS
RS
November 28th, 2017 at 2:14:50 PM permalink
I think everyone's played Monopoly incorrectly. I don't know all the rules, but apparently games aren't supposed to last hours upon hours.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 28th, 2017 at 2:33:40 PM permalink
I recently played a game of Monopoly strictly by the rules. It's like an entirely new game versus the way I (and almost everyone else) played it all through childhood. Way more cutthroat, totally different strategies, and games are done in like half an hour.
rxwine
rxwine
November 28th, 2017 at 2:34:42 PM permalink

An electric toothbrush won't zap you like a toaster might. I mean, unless it was made in a rigged Chinese prison, then maybe it would....

Of course I wet my tooth brush with hot water. Are you saying there exist people who use cold water, or heaven forbid, brush dry?

I brush my teeth over the sink.

Point being. There's almost zero chance some Emergency Room personnel are going to be telling the story about the guy who 'claimed' he slipped in the shower and the electric toothbrush has to be removed from his butt.

Advantage, non shower toothbrush users.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 28th, 2017 at 2:56:47 PM permalink

I recently played a game of Monopoly strictly by the rules. It's like an entirely new game versus the way I (and almost everyone else) played it all through childhood. Way more cutthroat, totally different strategies, and games are done in like half an hour.

The worst "house rule" is people putting money from the bank into Free Parking. That really effs up the "Monopoly economy." Prices are fixed, but the game is being flooded with currency. Nobody ever runs out of money, thus the marathon games.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
November 28th, 2017 at 4:24:17 PM permalink

Fastest Monopoly game ever.

https://youtu.be/iVQn9EI9NTs
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
November 28th, 2017 at 6:24:44 PM permalink

It’s rechargeable, so both my toothbrush and water pik have 120v plugs.

But what’s the benefit to brushing in the shower anyway? I mean, I know people do it, but it seems like you are just spending more time in there and thus more hot water.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
petroglyph
November 29th, 2017 at 5:39:11 PM permalink
These are increasingly "strange days."

What is with the sudden flurry of public denunciations of male public figures by women coming out of the woodwork claiming groping, sexual harassment and the like?

This has gone on forever, in most if not all cultures: why only popularize it today?

I'll spare you my theories as to their motivation.

What we're seeing today is the bastard progeny akin to the likely union between McCathyism and the Salem witch trials.

Accuse and immediately destroy.

Jesus wept.
"What, me worry?"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
November 29th, 2017 at 6:43:39 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Keep your torch handy.... when the lynch mob arrives, you may have to join them.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
petroglyph
November 29th, 2017 at 6:50:59 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Keep your torch handy.... when the lynch mob arrives, you may have to join them.

Huh?

What the hell are you talking about: "torch," and "lynch mob?"

I'm pretty much a liberal, at least as to social issues.

My point is that it is unfair for gangs of women to come out of the woodwork to accuse male public figures of sexual misconduct and then applaud and high-five one another as the guys' careers are destroyed without there first being any form of objective finding / proof of wrong doing.

Hello, kangaroo court of public opinion!
Last edited by: MrV on Nov 29, 2017
"What, me worry?"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 30th, 2017 at 7:26:18 AM permalink

My point is that it is unfair for gangs of women to come out of the woodwork to accuse male public figures of sexual misconduct and then applaud and high-five one another as the guys' careers are destroyed without there first being any form of objective finding / proof of wrong doing.

your point is pretty much spot on

but many of those accused have admitted that the allegations were true

for a very long time throughout our history women have endured horrible treatment from a great number of males (but nowhere near to being a majority of them) and had no adequate from of redress

it all stems from the fact that generally (although there are exceptions) males are physically stronger than females. the superior physical strength of males has led them to become dominant in most of the very important social and business and religious arenas.

way, way too many men have taken unfair advantage of that fact throughout history.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 30, 2017
Please don't feed the trolls
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
AxelWolfpetroglyph
November 30th, 2017 at 9:05:23 AM permalink

These are increasingly "strange days."

What is with the sudden flurry of public denunciations of male public figures by women coming out of the woodwork claiming groping, sexual harassment and the like?

This has gone on forever, in most if not all cultures: why only popularize it today?

I'll spare you my theories as to their motivation.

What we're seeing today is the bastard progeny akin to the likely union between McCathyism and the Salem witch trials.

Jesus wept.

I agree with most of what you said. The danger, and women leaders are and have been talking about these, are several.

1. False accusations for political, revenge, or personal motives.

2. Unintentional contact that was perceived differently than it was meant.

3. Lumping predatory behavior, juvenile behavior, physical abuse, and unintended contact together under "sexual transgressions ". There's an entire spectrum of behavior: some of it should result in criminal charges, job loss, other severe repercussions. Some of it does not rise to that level. But right now, it's all being seen through a single glass.

4. Women/men who ultimately became victims, but may have encouraged or initiated what became unacceptable to them.

It's not a black and white issue in most cases. But those who present themselves as victims/accusers will dilute or destroy any good that can come of this if they are marginal or false in their stories.
  • Jump to: