Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 10th, 2015 at 7:00:23 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Well, State and 2 terms as Senator does qualify actually. It is this rhetoric that discounts your entire statement. I mean I could make the same statement about the son of a former president and your response would be "he was governor".

First, one term and 1/3 of a second term. Second, her rationale in 2008 was so often "I was there........" and not her own achievements. And he was governor, plus executive experience in running a MLB team as well as an oil company. Can't compare W and Hilary, W was far more qualified when he ran.

Quote:

I think you make the misconnection that the more you are informed, the more likely it is that you will vote GOP. At least you make this inference all the time. There are some very powerful and smart people who vote Democrat for very valid reasons. There are equally some very powerful smart people who vote Republican as well. Older people are skewed conservative no matter what country you live in pretty much. As they grow older they generally take on the signs of the typical GOP movement: no to changes, less taxes, less handouts, no thinking about future generations. Younger people are looking for the same opportunities their parents have and are more idealistic: welfare for the poor, care for their young. Both have the same interests: "me". When you are young, you think about the cheapest way to get through college and have children and climb up the ladder and have a bigger safety net when you don't succeed -- more handouts and lower taxes for their part of the income chain. When you are old, you think about the best ways you can keep your money and still get your handouts (Medicare, social security, low taxes). Both lead to each end of the political spectrum.

Well, I do find the more informed the more likely that people vote conservative. My experience is people that vote Democrat do so for one main issue or because of identity politics. Union, female, black, gay, whatever. Committed liberals are out there, but are only about 20% of the population. And I am sorry to say but I listen to committed liberals and I hear people who basically never left college, not understanding that what works on paper rarely happens that way in the real world. OTOH, most people I know who vote GOP do so for a common set of beliefs. About 40% of the population is conservative (and if you want a cite for the numbers sorry, it is not direct but what I have seen over the years.) So you get fewer people voting GOP based on simple identity politics of race, sexual choice, whatever.

To say it is about "change vs. status quo" is not really correct. Really, it is about equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome. Younger people are more liberal and idealistic as you point out. They think the guy with the nice house and car should share with others. Then as they get older they see that guy worked for all that and are the guy who worked, while some others partied. So they realize that redistribution does not work.

But back to the point, we in the USA are getting what we deserve for the choices so many are making. Why I keep saying in 50 years there will not be a USA in its current form.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
October 10th, 2015 at 8:43:55 AM permalink
It is interesting to see what different people say that we have to worry about in 50 years.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 10th, 2015 at 11:03:15 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

When you are old, you think about the best ways you can keep your money and still get your handouts (Medicare, social security, low taxes).

Anyone who thinks that Medicare and Social Security are "handouts" is sorely and sadly mistaken. They were paid for with decades of sweat and hefty special taxes.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
October 10th, 2015 at 9:31:33 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Well, I do find the more informed the more likely that people vote conservative.

Do you consider Jews poorly informed? Jews vote Democrat. (Even though Obama's a Muslim.)

My experience is people that vote Democrat do so for one main issue or because of identity politics. Union, female, black, gay, whatever.

Normal, regular people vote Republican. Minorities, homosexuals, and chicks vote Democrat.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 11th, 2015 at 7:35:50 AM permalink
Some random thoughts...

--The Dems hold their first debate this week. There is some chatter out there that the lack of Dem debates is to protect Hillary. The other talk heard around the Sunday morning shows is that she's got to be ready to answer questions about changing positions recently on a trade agreement that she supported as Sec of State. One commentator (on Fox Sunday or whatever it is called) said something to the effect that the country is looking for genuine and she appears more and more synthetic.

--Saw a story about Obama tossing all his weight behind Biden if he is given some say in the selection of the VP candidate if Biden is successful. Who would he push?

--The "Truth" is coming out this week. It is the glorification of the fabrication that led to the downfall of Dan Rather. A great attempt by liberals in Hollywood to change minds about a story where some lied to get to try and cause President Bush problems. It'll probably win an Academy Award or two...
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2015 at 9:44:45 AM permalink
The press is wonderful...asking candidates if the President is a "real black President"....wow...

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/10/441078-awkward-ben-carson-asked-3-times-by-cnn-if-obama-is-a-real-black-president/?_ga=1.42224613.1380359561.1444062528

Carson does a good job avoiding the trap.

Would the reporter ask the President the same question?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 11th, 2015 at 9:52:25 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Some random thoughts...

--The Dems hold their first debate this week. There is some chatter out there that the lack of Dem debates is to protect Hillary. The other talk heard around the Sunday morning shows is that she's got to be ready to answer questions about changing positions recently on a trade agreement that she supported as Sec of State. One commentator (on Fox Sunday or whatever it is called) said something to the effect that the country is looking for genuine and she appears more and more synthetic....

I don't think the debates amount to much
If Trump isn't involved, they are mostly a snoozefest with few watching. For the press, they could care less about good answers or spin. For the press, its all about the gaff. (Rick Perry). You avoid the gaff, the debate is meaningless.
As to few debates, at least there are some.
I look forward to Omalley, Chafee and Webb get some TV face time which has been rare for them

--Saw a story about Obama tossing all his weight behind Biden if he is given some say in the selection of the VP candidate if Biden is successful. Who would he push?

Elizabeth Warren maybe

--The "Truth" is coming out this week. It is the glorification of the fabrication that led to the downfall of Dan Rather. A great attempt by liberals in Hollywood to change minds about a story where some lied to get to try and cause President Bush problems. It'll probably win an Academy Award or two...

I would think this is a movie that the right would enjoy
I know the story
I heard Hollywood was making a movie buts that's all I know
It is Hollywood and it is entertainment so they will take dramatic license.
Regardless, I would think conservatives would enjoy a movie about the downfall of Dan Rather.
I viewed it as a pathetic attempt to get a journalistic scoop which turned out to be fabricated
The movie cant be perfectly honest(its a movie) but is it trying to change the overall view I have?
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 11th, 2015 at 10:04:58 AM permalink

Some random thoughts...

--The Dems hold their first debate this week. There is some chatter out there that the lack of Dem debates is to protect Hillary. The other talk heard around the Sunday morning shows is that she's got to be ready to answer questions about changing positions recently on a trade agreement that she supported as Sec of State. One commentator (on Fox Sunday or whatever it is called) said something to the effect that the country is looking for genuine and she appears more and more synthetic.

I think the debate thing might be simply a budget decision. Each debate costs the party some amount of money, not a small amount, for travel/logistics/lodging for a lot of people. I could be wrong.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2015 at 2:20:13 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I would think this is a movie that the right would enjoy
I know the story
I heard Hollywood was making a movie buts that's all I know
It is Hollywood and it is entertainment so they will take dramatic license.
Regardless, I would think conservatives would enjoy a movie about the downfall of Dan Rather.
I viewed it as a pathetic attempt to get a journalistic scoop which turned out to be fabricated
The movie cant be perfectly honest(its a movie) but is it trying to change the overall view I have?

Interestingly, they seem to be trying to retell the story with Rather and his producer looking more like heroes and martyrs...

"It's astounding how little truth there is in Truth," proclaimed CBS in a statement. "There are, in fact, too many distortions, evasions and baseless conspiracy theories to enumerate them all. The film tries to turn gross errors of journalism and judgment into acts of heroism and martyrdom. That's a disservice not just to the public but to journalists across the world who go out every day and do everything within their power, sometimes at great risk to themselves, to get the story right."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2015/10/08/cbs-news-slams-rathergate-film-its-astounding-how-little-truth-there#sthash.wqY0wSQo.dpuf

It doesn't look like a movie a conservative would want to watch; just some revisionist history...
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2015 at 3:04:44 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think the debate thing might be simply a budget decision. Each debate costs the party some amount of money, not a small amount, for travel/logistics/lodging for a lot of people. I could be wrong.

This is from a member of the DNC:

"For Bernie Sanders, who gathers up an audience of 10,000 people almost without breaking a sweat, this rule must seem like a pair of handcuffs custom crafted to control his behavior. "

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/08/opinions/burling-democratic-debates/

So they only scheduled six sanctioned debates and Sanders can't get involved in unsanctioned debates without breaking the rules and getting kicked out of the scheduled ones.

Budget??? I seriously doubt it. Both parties have deep pockets...
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 11th, 2015 at 3:19:55 PM permalink
I personally agree with those who say the debate schedule was set in such a way as to favor Hillary.

But it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't think the other guys are electable in a general... Maybe Sanders, but I still have trouble seeing him winning swing states.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2015 at 4:49:50 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I personally agree with those who say the debate schedule was set in such a way as to favor Hillary.

But it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't think the other guys are electable in a general... Maybe Sanders, but I still have trouble seeing him winning swing states.

At this moment, I am not sure if any of the candidates seems all that electable. That will change, of course, as the primary process and general campaigns start. I am not a fan of Sanders (anyone shocked by that?) but I think he could look a lot more electable if he did well in the debates and defeated Hillary in the primaries. Hillary, of course, is electable...but she is much more flawed this cycle than the last time she ran.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 11th, 2015 at 5:46:50 PM permalink
I too think the democrats debate schedule was scheduled to favor and protect Hillary.

But the person that may benefit the most would be Omalley. He is an unknown and if he performs well and seems a reasonable alternative to Hillary, he could get a bump in both polls and incoming money.

If Biden is jumping in, he should have done so before this debate. If you add up the totals on the democratic side, there is a significant number undecided and an even larger number that are supporting Hillary but it is 'soft' support. If these undecided's and 'soft support' voters are really looking for an alternative candidate to Hillary, Biden should have tried to capture them before they go looking elsewhere to someone like Omalley.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 11th, 2015 at 6:44:21 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I too think the democrats debate schedule was scheduled to favor and protect Hillary.

But the person that may benefit the most would be Omalley. He is an unknown and if he performs well and seems a reasonable alternative to Hillary, he could get a bump in both polls and incoming money.

Although, there's no advantage to a frontrunner debating people low in the polls. If it was up to her, she probably wouldn't debate him at all.

Some unknown gave her a lesson on that once.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
October 12th, 2015 at 11:11:42 PM permalink
The democratic debate is at the Wynn today. If anyone is wandering around the area, see if it looks as dangerous as a rap concert and report in.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
kewlj
kewlj
October 12th, 2015 at 11:33:56 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

The democratic debate is at the Wynn today. If anyone is wandering around the area, see if it looks as dangerous as a rap concert and report in.

Just another reason to avoid the strip. :/

From the looks of several different cables news stations, the popular interview and background point was right at the Northeast corner of LVB and Sands Ave, shooting from right up against the rail at that intersection, looking east with the Wynn in the background of the interviewees.

I did see one shot, same angle, but further away from the west side of LVB, probably originating in the corner of Fashion show Mall property, but still looking east across LVB, also showing Wynn in the background. Chris Mathews had a different background with the shot looking to have originated somewhere north of Fashion Show Mall (possibly Circus Circus) looking down the west side of LVB.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 13th, 2015 at 12:22:33 AM permalink

The democratic debate is at the Wynn today.

I have a nap scheduled, I'll wait for
the 60 second highlight reel. I
can't imagine anything more
boring. Trump was right when
he said not to bother cause he
he won't be there.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 3:34:04 AM permalink
It appears that a female staffer from Jeb!'s campaign was planted at a Trump rally to ask hostile questions and attack Trump.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/10/13/busted-cnn-uses-jeb-bush-staffer-planted-in-audience-to-frame-donald-trump-narrativehit-job/

Embarrassing for Jeb!. I'm just glad it wasn't a Hillary staffer.
RonC
RonC
October 13th, 2015 at 8:10:01 AM permalink
In spite of reports to the contrary, it appears Alabama has done a good job providing everyone with an opportunity to get a valid ID to vote:

"What all of the media and critics missed or deliberately ignored is that, in addition to being able to use a driver’s license to meet the voter ID requirement, you can get a free voter ID in every single county in the state. In addition to DMV offices, the secretary of state offers free voter IDs in all 67 counties through the local election registrar."

http://dailysignal.com/2015/10/09/no-alabama-closing-part-time-dmvs-is-not-new-jim-crow/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thffacebook

I choose "deliberately ignored"...the offices they did close were often located in the same building or area as the registrar, so the actual impact of the closings is minimal at the most.

Free IDs. Proof you are eligible to vote. Vote for your candidates of choice. Amazingly simple.
kewlj
kewlj
October 13th, 2015 at 8:39:05 AM permalink
Really RonC?? The Daily Signal, owned by the conservative 'think tank', Heritage Foundation?? You think that is an objective source? :/

Personally I am not familiar with the Alabama implementation of it's voter ID laws. I hope they are being implemented as described. I am not against voter ID laws, if they are implemented in a way that allow people that want to vote the opportunity to do so at relative ease (without financial cost or jumping through hoops).

Unfortunately many states, North Carolina for example, makes it very difficult, not providing free documentation necessary, nor accepting commonly used documentation and often having a several hour drive to the nearest office. Some of these republican passed, stricter voter ID laws have even had the very people responsible for passing them, come out and state their real objective is to suppress non white, presumed non republican voters.

So if Alabama is fairly implementing new voter ID laws, kudos to them, but I am not going to accept the Heritage Foundation as an unbiased source that they are. :/
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 13th, 2015 at 9:01:37 AM permalink

North Carolina for example, makes it very difficult, not providing free documentation necessary, nor accepting commonly used documentation and often having a several hour drive to the nearest office.

That does not seem to be accurate:

DMV Home MyDMV Login Contact Fee Listing Moving? License & Theft Search

NCDOT Mobile
NCDMV - North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles

Online ServicesLicense and IDVehicle ServicesTraffic RecordsFormsOffice Locations

DMV » License and ID » Non-operator ID cards, Voter ID, and No-Fee ID Cards
Non-operator ID cards, Voter ID, and No-Fee ID Cards
Where to get an ID

DMV offers ID cards for those customers who require a photo ID, but do not require a Driver’s License. There is no fee for a Voter ID card, or if a customer qualifies for another no-fee ID. The cost for a standard Non-operator ID card is $10. An ID can be obtained from any Driver License Office, regardless of where you live.

To learn more about the ID cards available, click the links below:

Non-Operator ID Card
Voter ID Card
No-Fee ID Cards

Driver License Office
DMV Office

To obtain a first-time ID card, you must visit the Driver License Office in person. To avoid inconveniences, make sure you have all necessary documents before visiting the Driver License Office.
Driver's Handbook
Download Revised 2014
Requirements & Documents to Obtain a Non-Operator ID Card

ID Card Proof of Age & Identity

You must provide two documents from this category which provide your full name and date of birth. If you are unable to provide two forms of identification from the approved list of acceptable documents, DMV will review documents that you have in your possession to assist in verifying your identity. Documents that you may present as proof of age and identity, provided they include your full name (including your middle name), are listed in Table (1):
Acceptable Documents

Valid Social Security Number

You must provide a valid Social Security Number (SSN). If DMV is unable to verify your SSN with the Social Security Administration, you may be required to present documentation of your SSN. Documents that you may present as proof of SSN are listed in Table (2):
Acceptable Documents

Proof of Citizenship & Residency

To obtain a N.C. ID card, you must be a N.C. resident. Documents that you may present as proof of residency are listed in Table (3):
Acceptable Documents

You must also be a U.S. citizen, or be able to demonstrate legal presence in the U.S. Documents that may be used to demonstrate legal presence are listed in Tables (7) and (8):
Acceptable Documents

All ID cards, including driver’s licenses, are mailed to customers, which may take up to 10 days. When your application is accepted, you will be provided with a receipt upon request. Your receipt cannot be used for identification purposes.

Requirements & Documents to Obtain a No-Fee Voter ID Card

There is no fee charged for a North Carolina ID Card for an individual registered to vote in North Carolina who does not have acceptable photo identification under N.C. General Statute 163-166.13.

To obtain a No Fee Voter ID card, you must sign a declaration stating that you do not have an acceptable photo ID. If you already have an acceptable photo ID, you are not eligible to receive a No Fee Voter ID.

You must also be registered to vote. If you are not a registered voter, DMV will assist you in completing your voter registration application during your visit, and you will still be eligible for your No Fee Voter ID.

Proof of Age & Identity

You must provide two documents from this category which provide your full name and date of birth. If you are unable to provide two forms of identification from the approved list of acceptable documents, DMV will review documents that you have in your possession to assist in verifying your identity. Documents that you may present as proof of age and identity, provided they include your full name (including your middle name), are listed in Table (1):
Acceptable Documents

You must provide a valid Social Security Number (SSN). If DMV is unable to verify your SSN with the Social Security Administration, you may be required to present documentation of your SSN. Documents that you may present as proof of SSN are listed in Table (2):
Acceptable Documents

To obtain a N.C. Voter ID card, you must be a U.S. citizen and a N.C. resident. Documents that you may present as proof of residency are listed in Table (3):
Acceptable Documents

For all of the requirements to obtain a Voter ID, please refer to Table (4):
Acceptable Documents

All ID cards, including driver’s licenses, are mailed to customers, which may take up to 10 days. When your application is accepted, you will be provided with a receipt upon request. Your receipt cannot be used for identification or voting purposes.
Requirements & Documents to Obtain Other No Fee ID Cards

The following persons may also obtain an ID Card free of charge:
There is no fee charged for a North Carolina ID Card for a resident of the State who is legally blind, is at least 70 years old, is homeless, or who has been issued a driver license which has subsequently been cancelled as a result of a physical or mental disability or disease.

If a homeless person wishes to obtain a North Carolina ID Card without paying a fee, the homeless person must present a letter to the Division from the director of a facility that provides care or shelter to homeless persons verifying that the person is homeless.

Proof of Age & Identity

Acceptable Documents

Acceptable Documents

To obtain a N.C. ID card, you must be a N.C. resident. Documents that you may present as proof of residency are listed in Table (3):
Acceptable Documents

You must also be a U.S. citizen, or be able to demonstrate legal presence in the U.S. Documents that may be used to demonstrate legal presence are listed in Tables (7) and (8):
Acceptable Documents

For all of the requirements to obtain a No Fee ID Card, please refer to Table (5):
Acceptable Documents

All ID cards, including driver’s licenses, are mailed to customers, which may take up to 10 days. When your application is accepted, you will be provided with a receipt upon request. Your receipt cannot be used for identification purposes.
License and ID
© Copyright NCDOT NCDOT Home NC.gov Accessibility Privacy Statement
--http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/id/#VoterID
RonC
RonC
October 13th, 2015 at 10:23:08 AM permalink

Really RonC?? The Daily Signal, owned by the conservative 'think tank', Heritage Foundation?? You think that is an objective source? :/

No, I don't. Nor do I think the ones whining about how hard it is are objective in any way either.

As with most things in the body politic, the truth could be somewhere in the middle.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 10:50:48 AM permalink
Donald Trump is going to host SNL on 11/7.

Seems like a very "Presidential" thing to do. NOT.

A cameo would have been fine. Politicians pop up on that show all the time. But hosting the entire show requires him to take a full week off of campaigning to devote to that.... Seems like a waste of time to me.
RonC
RonC
October 13th, 2015 at 11:13:34 AM permalink

A cameo would have been fine. Politicians pop up on that show all the time. But hosting the entire show requires him to take a full week off of campaigning to devote to that.... Seems like a waste of time to me.

He is a publicity hound and he is good at the game. The cost to him of not campaigning for a week will be dwarfed by the amount of free publicity he will get the whole week leading up to, and after, the SNL appearance. He doesn't need to spend as much money as the others getting noticed; everything he does is noticed and reported.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 11:25:18 AM permalink

He is a publicity hound and he is good at the game. The cost to him of not campaigning for a week will be dwarfed by the amount of free publicity he will get the whole week leading up to, and after, the SNL appearance. He doesn't need to spend as much money as the others getting noticed; everything he does is noticed and reported.

I agree.

It will be an extremely high rated show.

I can't wait to hear Donald constantly talk about how "huge" the ratings were for weeks and weeks afterwards.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
October 13th, 2015 at 11:51:52 AM permalink

I agree.

It will be an extremely high rated show.

I can't wait to hear Donald constantly talk about how "huge" the ratings were for weeks and weeks afterwards.

The talk will probably be true, or at least ring true, to many voters. It is, after all ( for the most part ) what the voters think that matters, hopefully.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
rxwine
rxwine
October 13th, 2015 at 11:54:06 AM permalink

That's another thing, I don't know if I could take 4 years of Trump with all the extra attention a President gets.
RonC
RonC
October 13th, 2015 at 1:10:53 PM permalink

That's another thing, I don't know if I could take 4 years of Trump with all the extra attention a President gets.

I am listening to him on Fox right now...this guy can brag better than anyone I have ever known!

Thing is...his numbers are good and people like Alpha Males...
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2015 at 1:24:12 PM permalink
Trump just did 22min on Fox with no commercials.
No other candidate can do that. How much would it
cost to buy 22min on a popular show at 4pm. You
they would give Jeb Bush even 10 min?
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 1:29:11 PM permalink
Ok..... So, honest question..... Are the Republicans on these boards on Team Trump yet?

I honestly can't tell based on most of you guys' posts...
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2015 at 1:31:30 PM permalink

Lots of politicians have hosted SNL and
it hurt none of them a whit. Al gore, John McCain,
George McGovern, Ralph Nader, Steve Forbes.

The number politicians who have done skits,
like Hillary last week, is too long to list. It
always helps them, SNL is an institution.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 1:40:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The number politicians who have done skits,
like Hillary last week, is too long to list. It
always helps them, SNL is an institution.

How many have hosted during a campaign?
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 1:42:28 PM permalink

Also, what do all these guys have in common?

They were never President...
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2015 at 2:09:29 PM permalink

Why are you so hung up on hosting, it's
nothing but free publicity. You don't
think Bush or Carson would do it? Wrong.
There haven't even been any primaries yet,
you act like it's a year from now and the election
is in 3 weeks.. People love SNL. I challenge
you to find even one politician who wasn't
helped by an appearance on the show.
Even Nixon went on Rowen and Martins
Laugh In and he was the candidate. Didn't
hurt him a bit. This was 6 weeks before the
election:

ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 2:17:41 PM permalink

Why are you so hung up on hosting, it's
nothing but free publicity.

It's just interesting to me that he'd waste a week on it. It's not gonna help him THAT much. By this point, America knows how they feel about Donald Trump.

Quote:

You don't
think Bush or Carson would do it? Wrong.

Never said that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:

There haven't even been any primaries yet,
you act like it's a year from now and the election
is in 3 weeks.. People love SNL.

I love SNL! I watch every episode.

Quote:

I challenge
you to find even one politician who wasn't
helped by an appearance on the show.

Sarah Palin.
RonC
RonC
October 13th, 2015 at 3:07:07 PM permalink
I'm not sure everyone is seeing what Trump is doing but it seems so obvious...he is gathering ALL of the free publicity he can get. He's on Fox. He's enemies with Fox. He's back on Fox. Half of an hour long show spent talking to him, proving lots of sound for other news stations. SNL is the same--he could have some rallies with 10 or 20 thousand people; instead he'll do a show watched by millions...from both parties and many different types of people. Rallies draw supporters; TV gets you in front of a broader audience.

Tonight he is "live tweeting" the Democrat debate. Just another way to get some of the attention that is available tonight.

It is all about the name brand and no one does it better than Trump.
RonC
RonC
October 13th, 2015 at 3:08:08 PM permalink

Ok..... So, honest question..... Are the Republicans on these boards on Team Trump yet?

I honestly can't tell based on most of you guys' posts...

Not on Team Trump.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 13th, 2015 at 4:00:34 PM permalink

I don't see the problem a year from the general and 90 days or so from the primary. Trump is super-smart. A week on the trail right now has minimal effect. SNL will get way more effect and reach new people. Exposure nobody else will get. Trump wins again!
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2015 at 4:05:30 PM permalink

Sarah Palin.

How do you figure that hurt Palin? It
was the highest rated show in 14
years for SNL. She was great on it,
she likes lampooning herself.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 5:15:08 PM permalink

How do you figure that hurt Palin? It
was the highest rated show in 14
years for SNL. She was great on it,
she likes lampooning herself.

She certainly "wasn't helped" by it (which was your original qualification).

By that point everyone knew what a moron she is and she wasn't helped by going on SNL and just kinda standing around while the SNL cast around her did all the heavy lifting.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 13th, 2015 at 5:21:11 PM permalink

She certainly "wasn't helped" by it (which was your original qualification).

By that point everyone knew what a moron she is and she wasn't helped by going on SNL and just kinda standing around while the SNL cast around her did all the heavy lifting.

It is called "being the straight man." Or straight woman in this case. Used often in comedy.

As to being a moron, liberals are the ones who could not tell the difference between what Sarah said and what Tina said. All I'm sayin.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 5:25:16 PM permalink

As to being a moron, liberals are the ones who could not tell the difference between what Sarah said and what Tina said. All I'm sayin.

Because so much of what Sarah said was farcical.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 5:26:52 PM permalink
The debate is about to begin. I predict a snooze fest.

I'll watch about 10 mins, then I'm switching over to last night's season premiere of Fargo, which is on my DVR and begging to be watched.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 13th, 2015 at 7:02:57 PM permalink
I would say that SNL definitely leans left. They get about 5 million normally. Trump will probably grab double. He's pretty good when he hosts and has hosted at least once before.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
kewlj
kewlj
October 13th, 2015 at 7:10:13 PM permalink

The debate is about to begin. I predict a snooze fest.

I'll watch about 10 mins,

Well, I watched more than 10 minutes. I watched a little more than an hour. Enough to know none of the gentlemen on stage has a snowballs chance in hell of winning the democratic nomination.

Bernie didn't look good early on. He took some heat and didn't have very good responses. Later in the debate when he passionately said, "enough with the emails", he made it clear he is not a serious challenger to Clinton. Does he know his gain in the polls is mostly about Clinton's email issue. For him to dismiss it shows he is just a 'token' challenger, who intends to fall in line behind Clinton in the end.

Omalley, who I thought had a chance to really introduce himself, came up small. He just looked like a generic minor league type politician.

Lincoln Chafee is kind of an oddball type man. No real chance.

Jim Webb, who I think is a good man, just is insignificant. He also did nothing but complain about not getting enough time. He looked kind of "cry-babyish".

Clinton is a very experienced debater and did well, whether you like her or her politics. I would expect that Bernie has peaked and Clinton will get a bump after this debate and even more of a bump if she does well in the hearings next week. If that happens, Joe Biden will have missed his chance. I am not sure he had much of a chance anyway.
ams288
ams288
October 13th, 2015 at 7:11:06 PM permalink
From what I've seen of the debate:

-zzzzzzz

-Is Jim Webb a Republican plant or something? Get that joker off the stage now.

-Lincoln Chafee(sp?) looks like he doesn't know where he is

-Hillary and Bernie have performed just about as I had expected. Loved Bernie's line about Hillary's damn email nonsense
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2015 at 7:46:44 PM permalink

By that point everyone knew what a moron

Only she's not a moron, she did great on the
show. You didn't even watch it.

https://screen.yahoo.com/governor-palin-cold-open-000000539.html
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
October 13th, 2015 at 7:54:13 PM permalink

Only she's not a moron, she did great on the
show. You didn't even watch it.

https://screen.yahoo.com/governor-palin-cold-open-000000539.html

No she was and is quite a moron regardless of what happened on SNL. Palin is simply incredibly ignorant and stupid.
kewlj
kewlj
October 13th, 2015 at 8:58:37 PM permalink
Just saw "Mr Vegas", fig (Wayne) Newton on the post debate discussion. I have nothing against Fig. I am glad he is back in his longtime home on Sunset Road and will be allowed to live out his years there. BUT, he looks horrible. He looks like one of those "botched' patients from the plastic surgery gone wrong show. All those "had too many plastic surgery" people have that same weird look, like their face is plastic, I guess appropriately enough. :(

So, When Chris Mathews asked "Fig" who he was supporting he said, he likes Trump, Carson, Bush and "the lady". He couldn't even come up with Carly Fiorina's name. lol. But how can you like Trump AND Carson AND Bush. Trump and Carson are as far apart in style as you can be. Trump and Bush are as far apart on policy as you can be. :/
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 14th, 2015 at 3:51:27 AM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

No she was and is quite a moron regardless of what happened on SNL. Palin is simply incredibly ignorant and stupid.

Yet she is still intelligent enough to know how to use two email accounts, one for home and one for work.

I didn't see the debate, did Hillary blame the GOP for the thermostat setting in her room at Wynn being too low?
  • Jump to: