• Threads: 212
August 25th, 2015 at 10:17:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Fox just streamed a random live 10min of a
Trump news conference. I gotta say, he's
more and more impressive as time goes
by. He answers any and all questions in
a forceful and educated fashion, while
at the same time being likable and compelling.
There is nobody in the race even close to
this. He doesn't sound at all like a politician.

Perhaps.

Some (so called) "banana republics" get criticized for electing the brashest biggest personality to the most powerful position in their countries then end up regretting it.

But them guys are ignorant, unlike here.

(Take something like gasoline and add gasoline x 10. What could go wrong?)

(some probably think I'm referring to O, but that's so 6 years and so many months ago -- we tried to make him president for lifeTM but failed, so now's ya'lls chance I guess. Fair is fair.)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 25th, 2015 at 11:21:14 PM permalink
Yeah, Trump has all the accomplishments
of a banana republic dictator. He's right
about what he keeps saying about big
donors, though. They own your ass. He
said he'll take a grandmothers $7 and
thank her, but not 5 mil.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
August 25th, 2015 at 11:46:39 PM permalink

Yeah, Trump has all the accomplishments
of a banana republic dictator.

More like the temperament. Makes a personal vendetta from a question or two.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
August 26th, 2015 at 6:22:39 AM permalink
Trump keeps keeps joking in his speeches about "having the election tomorrow" instead of waiting til next November.

This always makes me cringe. It's awkward because it's not funny but he sells it like he's semi-serious and semi-joking.

And it's a clear sign to me that he isn't a serious candidate. Im guessing the thought of campaigning for another year and two months is not a pleasant one for Trump. Especially when his competitors will catch up to him once some of them drop out and the field starts narrowing and Trump will no longer be able to constantly brag about and retweet every single new poll he's ahead in.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
August 26th, 2015 at 9:29:48 AM permalink
It's a joke dude. You should probably take it like one. Chillax
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
ams288
ams288
August 26th, 2015 at 1:10:57 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

It's a joke dude. You should probably take it like one. Chillax

It's not a funny joke. It's just an odd thing to say.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 26th, 2015 at 1:36:15 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Ask away sir. You are aware that a Rassmussen survey has 57% of Republicans saying that Trump is likely to be the candidate with another 25% saying it is very likey. Aren't you? Not sure who your friends are but the sampling size must be small.

I guess my main question is..... "Do you think, if nominated by the Republican party, that Mr. Trump has any real chance of winning a general election?" I believe that he would cause the Democrats to come out to vote against him in record numbers, and many moderate Republicans would either not vote or, (cringe) vote for the Democrat candidate. I want the Republicans to nominate an electable candidate. I think Jeb Bush is by far the most electable, even though the reason is a pathetic one. Him being married to a Mexican woman will garner him more Latino votes than Romney or McCain could muster, and with enough discontent and distrust of Hilarious, just might be enough for a Republican win in the general election.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 26th, 2015 at 1:40:02 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I guess my main question is..... "Do you think, if nominated by the Republican party, that Mr. Trump has any real chance of winning a general election?" I believe that he would cause the Democrats to come out to vote against him in record numbers, and many moderate Republicans would either not vote or, (cringe) vote for the Democrat candidate. I want the Republicans to nominate an electable candidate. I think Jeb Bush is by far the most electable, even though the reason is a pathetic one. Him being married to a Mexican woman will garner him more Latino votes than Romney or McCain could muster, and with enough discontent and distrust of Hilarious, just might be enough for a Republican win in the general election.

Agree with most of this, but I think either Christie or (increasingly) Kasich are more electable in the General. JEB has a lot of baggage, most of which has not come out yet, from his time as our governor. He's lucky to be followed by Rick Scott, who's even worse, or he'd be remembered even more dismally than he is now.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 26th, 2015 at 1:47:10 PM permalink

Him being married to a Mexican woman will garner him more Latino votes .

A lot of Latinos and most Blacks are against
illegal immigration, it won't make that much
difference. If it's Trump against Biden, it will
be interesting. Biden has so much baggage,
not even taking his age into account. He
would be 75 the year he was sworn is. Now
we're remembering that he got thru college
by blatantly plagiarizing the work of others.
It's why he dropped out of the race the first
time he ran.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 26th, 2015 at 1:55:27 PM permalink

A lot of Latinos and most Blacks are against
illegal immigration, it won't make that much
difference. If it's Trump against Biden, it will
be interesting. Biden has so much baggage,
not even taking his into account. He
would be 75 the year he was sworn is. Now
we're remembering that he got thru college
by blatantly plagiarizing the work of others.
It's why he dropped out of the race the first
time he ran.

"If that wasn't bad enough, Biden admitted the next day that while in law school he had received an F for a course because he had plagiarized five pages from a published article in a term paper that he submitted."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history_lesson/2008/08/the_write_stuff.2.html
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 26th, 2015 at 3:09:47 PM permalink
"The sheer number and extent of Biden's fibs, distortions, and plagiarisms struck many observers at the time as worrisome, to say the least. While a media feeding frenzy (a term popularized in the 1988 campaign) always creates an unseemly air of hysteria, Biden deserved the scrutiny he received. Quitting the race was the right thing to do."

Biden or Hillary, what's the difference. If
either were a Rep with the same baggage,
they would be laughed out of the race.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 26th, 2015 at 9:52:02 PM permalink
My latest thoughts on Mr Trump.

Originally, I suspected Trump was a Hillary supporter, entering the race on the republican side, only to create havoc and a more specific goal of damaging Jeb Bush, who is or was viewed as the biggest obstacle to a democratic presidency. That may still be the case, but I am starting to get the feeling Trump is actually running for president and intends to win.

There are signs that people are taking him seriously. The odds at several different betting sites have Trump as the second favorite in the 3-1, 7/2 range to win the republican nomination behind only Jeb Bush. Trump is a head of Scott Walker, ahead of Rubio. That is a significant change from just weeks ago when he was at very long odds. In addiction, polls released this week in a couple early states have trump at 30 and 35% respectively, with his nearest challenger down at 11 or 12%. Say what you want about his unfavorable and ceiling due to unfavorable, but 35% is a huge number in a contest with 17 candidates. It's early, still 6 months from the first contest, but the man continues to gain support, even as he continues to say and do things that would disqualify traditional candidates.

I watched Trumps speech last night in Iowa twice, and frankly he is saying some things that I like. Also some things that I don't, but its that way with all candidates, no? I have REALLY evolved on the immigration issue. My position was always, well everyone's people came from somewhere. My 'people' from Ireland, seeking a better life. That's what America has always been. But that was legal immigration. People today are coming in illegally, skirting the system and lines. They do need to be treated differently. And the idea of someone entering the country illegally, and having a baby which enables them all to stay permanently does seem wrong. I know as the 14th amendment is written, that child is a US citizen, but I don't believe that was the intent of that amendment. I don't think it unreasonable to consider changing that.

I also believe Trump had every right to remove the Univision reporter from the news conference. They want to paint Trump as the bully, but in my opinion it was the Latino reporter who was out of line. He stood up and started yelling a question disrupting an orderly news conference, when he hadn't been called on. It was another reporter that had the floor. It was the Latino reporter who was the bully and most unprofessional.

I don't know who I am going to vote for in primaries or general election. At this point, I am just enjoying the circus on both sides. While I am a registered democrat, I have always considered myself an independent. But I like to vote in primaries, so you need to register with one of the parties, and the dems have always been a little closer to my position on most issues, especially social issues, which in the past has been my big issue. But I think if the primary election were held today or next month, I would re-register republican and vote for Trump. I don't have to make that decision until early next year, so plenty of time to see what happens.

Oh, one other thing. A lot of people in the media and elsewhere are saying Trump won't give specifics on many issues. That's true. But ya know, what, the first presidential election I followed closely, (couldn't vote yet) a guy named George W Bush did the same thing. George's big line at every campaign stop, every debate, every news clip was "we are going to build a bridge to the 21st century....and leave no one behind". What the hell did that mean?? People ate it up. It made them feel good, feel positive. Eight years later there was a young black man shouting "hope and change". Not a whole lot of specifics. Just a feel good type thing. A cheerleader. So, today Trump wants to "make America great again". Whatever. It's not like any of these guys (or gals) can deliver on any of the stuff they promise and talk about. :/
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
August 26th, 2015 at 10:04:15 PM permalink
If the recent stock market issues continue for a bit, and it becomes apparent that any economic recovery was only artificially propping up the economy by printing money and artificially low interest rates while the only natural growth was the rich getting richer, all these social issues will become secondary and we might be headed for another crisis election with the economy even more at the forefront than usual like 2008, albeit a more moderate crisis.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 27th, 2015 at 4:29:26 AM permalink
If the primary concern in Oct 2016 is war or foreign policy (ISIS/Iran/something we don't know about yet/terrorist), we'll get a Republican President. If the issues are domestic (jobs/economy/social issues), we'll get a Democrat. There still won't be a 3rd party candidate, even Trump, who can win outright.

I think the GOP is reaping what they have sown for the last 35 years in Trump (ie . He is not favored by women, Latinos, Blacks, LGBT, based on his attitudes, social policy, and bullying tactics). That's over 60% of the electorate who are not just unfavorable oriented, but actively repulsed by him. The mainstream Republicans, whether the Right or the RINOs, are horrified by him. But they're the ones who've vilified the Democrats personally and professionally for decades, and refused to work across the aisle since Dennis Hastert (at least - really it goes back to 1994 and Newt Gingrich, but they codified it under Hastert). The anger factor over the mismanagement of this country, and the tendency to concentrate on placing blame and calling names is the single biggest driver of Trump's popularity. Not answers. Not ideas. Not solutions.

The anger factor is justified, I think. But by itself, it will solve nothing. Just like the Republicans, by themselves, can solve nothing, any more than the Democrats by themselves can. And Trump does not know how to work with people and has no interest in learning. He knows how to bully, how to dictate, how to manipulate, but he has no awareness of the powers the President does and (more importantly) doesn't have, and the same traits that attract his supporters will be completely useless in actually governing. (Again a common misunderstanding perpetuated by 8 years of WJC and 6 years of BHO carping by Republicans, deflecting responsibility dressed as blame on to the Executive and/or Office of the President, also seen from Dems during 8 years of GWB.) Which makes Trump the wrong person for the Presidency.

Something not mentioned recently with the focus on the Prez candidates but very indicative of the wider picture, is how voters view Congress. For most of the last decade (at least), Congressional ratings have been low, with numbers as low as 9 and 11% in recent years (the most recent was a better but still dismal 16% in January - comparing annual Rasmussen polls), This reflects the anger at least as much as the surge for Trump, probably more - certainly longer.

All JMHO; YMMV.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 27th, 2015 at 5:08:04 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

There are signs that people are taking him seriously. The odds at several different betting sites have Trump as the second favorite in the 3-1, 7/2 range to win the republican nomination behind only Jeb Bush. Trump is a head of Scott Walker, ahead of Rubio. That is a significant change from just weeks ago when he was at very long odds. In addiction, polls released this week in a couple early states have trump at 30 and 35% respectively, with his nearest challenger down at 11 or 12%. Say what you want about his unfavorable and ceiling due to unfavorable, but 35% is a huge number in a contest with 17 candidates. It's early, still 6 months from the first contest, but the man continues to gain support, even as he continues to say and do things that would disqualify traditional candidates.

Trump has had a weird effect. At first people looked at him as the GOP version of Sharpton. Then they listen and find a few issues they agree with. Then they notice that Trump is a total alpha-male. Most women want to be with the alpha-male and most men want to be the alpha-male. This is simple nature. Modern feminism and liberalism have vilified the alpha-male since the 1970s. So finding them in politics is rare. So when one does appear, they get all the more attention. This is a major reason why the more feminist and/or further left one is the more they tend to hate The Donald. They see him talk then they see other people realizing it is OK to behave a bit like him.

Trump is not the kind of guy who would say "you know, I inherited a bad situation!" over and over for years. He would say, "things are bad, now lets fix it!" He might fix it or he might fail, but he would not "vote present" and put things off. After 7, actually 10 years of this kind if inaction, people want a strong leader. Trump himself is kind of in the position of Obama in 2007, got in expecting to just run and suddenly realizes he has a good chance of winning.

Quote:

Oh, one other thing. A lot of people in the media and elsewhere are saying Trump won't give specifics on many issues. That's true. But ya know, what, the first presidential election I followed closely, (couldn't vote yet) a guy named George W Bush did the same thing. George's big line at every campaign stop, every debate, every news clip was "we are going to build a bridge to the 21st century....and leave no one behind". What the hell did that mean?? /

Uh, I thought that was Clinton's line in 1996?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 27th, 2015 at 11:07:56 AM permalink

Say what you want about [Trump's] unfavorable and ceiling due to unfavorable, but 35% is a huge number in a contest with 17 candidates. It's early, still 6 months from the first contest, but the man continues to gain support, even as he continues to say and do things that would disqualify traditional candidates.

I'm trying to envision how Trump doesn't get the GOP nomination, and I'm genuinely stumped. At this moment, he seems completely unstoppable.

Every Republican already knows the awful things he's said, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that on page 60 of Art of the Deal, Trump calls Ronald Reagan a "con man," but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows Trump's switched party affiliation 5 times in the past 2 decades, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that Trump supports affirmative action, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that his "anti-abortion" position is 100% insincere, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that he refers to Bush as "probably the worst President" in U.S. history, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican knows Trump dodged the draft with 5 deferments (4 educational + 1 medical) and then had the audacity to ridicule a U.S. Navy hero who was tortured by the Viet Cong, but it doesn't matter.

Republicans love this guy?

But Republicans are a strange bunch. Now that Dr. Ben Carson is refusing to apologize for his own experiments on a 17 week old aborted fetus, he's moved up in the polls to second place! Go figure.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2015 at 11:33:49 AM permalink
Fox still hates Trump, but they are taking
the opposite strategy now. Instead of
almost ignoring him, they are putting
him on all the time, even running his
news conference over regular programs.
They're hoping he screws up or people
get sick of him. Murdock has given a
lot of money to Bush, who is not doing
well at all. Trump makes him look like a
pudgy sissy.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 27th, 2015 at 11:51:39 AM permalink

Murdock has given a
lot of money to Bush, who is not doing
well at all. Trump makes his look like a
pudgy sissy.

Bush was running a horrible campaign even before Trump came along. He is just so opposite his brother in terms of personality. He is boring and just seems like he doesn't even want to be doing this. And like Hillary, Jeb has made a ton of unforced errors. Regardless of how you feel about either personally or politically, it is strange to see two experienced and supposedly 'polished' politicians running such crappy campaigns like these two have so far.

Jeb even has very peculiar body language. He is very stiff...literally. It almost looks as though he has some sort of back or body brace on that makes him look stiff. I looked online fo mention of a back issue and back brace but have seen nothing to that effect.

And now on top of Jeb's 'No personality', he is clearly annoyed at the whole Trump thing and that makes him look a little weak.

Reportedly after labor day, Jeb and several other candidates are going to start a serious media blitz running commercials attacking Trump. Jeb never envisioned he would need to spend his money that way. It will be interesting to see if that has any effect or backfires. Also will be interesting to see how Trump responds.
ams288
ams288
August 27th, 2015 at 12:05:33 PM permalink
Yeah, Bush has been awful on the campaign trail. So dry and boring. He doesn't know how to handle Trump.

I said I thought he would be the only one who could give Hillary a run for her money. Not sure he could anymore...
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
August 27th, 2015 at 1:13:51 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Say what you want about [Trump's] unfavorable and ceiling due to unfavorable, but 35% is a huge number in a contest with 17 candidates. It's early, still 6 months from the first contest, but the man continues to gain support, even as he continues to say and do things that would disqualify traditional candidates.

I'm trying to envision how Trump doesn't get the GOP nomination, and I'm genuinely stumped. At this moment, he seems completely unstoppable.[/

[Edited a lot for brevity]

Republicans love this guy?

But Republicans are a strange bunch. ]

Edited again, for brevity

The Donald.
What a different lead up to the primaries than anyone would have predicted.
You're ticked off, I'm ticked off, it seems we have something in common.
Donald understood that portion apparently, maybe he was ticked off too.

I am having a really hard time imagining Trump as the Rep nominate.
But no worse than imagining Clinton as the Dem nominate.
I refuse to shoot myself, not yet. I still have hope.
I maybe could give Trump a try (small maybe).
I hope I don't have to consider living w/Clinton as POTUS.

But the POTUS is not as magical a position as many believe it is, not by far.
And the primaries are coming, blink twice and you'll miss them.
I'm selfish, I'm thinking about my kids, and my friend's kids.
I have faith, I hope that is enough.... 2F
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
August 27th, 2015 at 2:43:58 PM permalink
Seems the Mods are looking after me, there is a bunch of highlighting and stuff that I didn't put there.
I simply say thanks...Big thanks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2015 at 3:13:42 PM permalink
edited
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2015 at 3:17:00 PM permalink

Bush was running a horrible campaign even before Trump came along..

A new poll today says 26% of Rep's will never
vote for Trump, but 30% say they will never
vote for Bush. It seems all Bush has in his favor
is a Latino wife. Big deal.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
August 27th, 2015 at 3:24:09 PM permalink

A new poll today says 26% of Rep's will never
vote for Trump, but 30% say they will never
vote for Bush. It seems all Bush has in his favor
is a Latino wife. Big deal.

Craps, it's a casino game..
Did anyone read XXX's post before he/she/it edited it?
The one that's gone now?
Does that still add to the total?
Even if you immediately delete it?
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
August 27th, 2015 at 7:48:41 PM permalink

There are alot of disgruntled "middle class" folks that have been the silent majority and not voting due to the fact that they don't see any difference from one politician to the next. These folks, some of whom have never voted before, will offset the record numbers of democrats you say have not been voting.

Trump is rising in the Presidential Election against Hillary and others every week.

Talking race wise it depends on how much of the white vote he gets.Together, blacks, asians, and non-White hispanics cannot swing a general election even if they get 100% behind one candidate.

Mitt Romney lost because he didn't get enough of the White vote, a portion that did not go to the other candidate, it stayed home.
Mitt Romney literally got 30% of the hispanic vote after telling America on live television that he would put into place policies to generate "self-deportation".

When it comes down to it, if Trump gets nominated alot of people are going to have to ask themselves some very hard questions.

Like, do I care more about LGTB's being promoted endlessly or do I care about placing tariffs on imported goods?

Do I care more about Big Agra's share of the domestic queso fresco market or ensuring that my children can actually have a decent quality of life without a) living at home until their 40 or b) going to medical school?

Trump is not a politician and has a broad market appeal. If he's in it, I suspect him to steal from the Democrats in sufficient numbers to offset the 25% of propaganda induced established republicans doing the Whoa is me act because they won't have someone in office that "they" control.

May we live in interesting times. If Trump gets elected it will be the most dramatic Administration change DC Metro area has ever witnessed.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
August 28th, 2015 at 3:56:22 AM permalink
If trump gets elected I need to get to Mexico before that wall goes up.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 28th, 2015 at 4:53:13 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

If trump gets elected I need to get to Mexico before that wall goes up.

Be sure to take your entrance fee they are now collecting. Plus be careful, Mexico treats illegal immigrants badly!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 28th, 2015 at 5:23:24 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Seems the Mods are looking after me, there is a bunch of highlighting and stuff that I didn't put there.
I simply say thanks...Big thanks.

Actually, you did that yourself by the way you edited Reno's post, truncating the close quote. note the errant bracket-slash at the end of the first highlighted line.
ams288
ams288
August 28th, 2015 at 5:46:26 AM permalink

Talking race wise it depends on how much of the white vote he gets.Together, blacks, asians, and non-White hispanics cannot swing a general election even if they get 100% behind one candidate.

I don't know for sure, but this seems super false to me. Is this assuming whites are voting 100% for the other candidate?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
August 28th, 2015 at 11:14:27 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Actually, you did that yourself by the way you edited Reno's post, truncating the close quote. note the errant bracket-slash at the end of the first highlighted line.

If I understood how you say I did it, I'd do it again.
But I don't ;-(

Trump still the story of the day, Hillary decline right behind that ( as stories go).
Biden should go to the beach and sun himself,
Before he gets embarrassed (probably by himself).

Is this really the best we got?
rxwine
rxwine
August 28th, 2015 at 12:39:27 PM permalink

May we live in interesting times. If Trump gets elected it will be the most dramatic Administration change DC Metro area has ever witnessed.

Even if Trump were running on several liberal progressive platforms, I still can't vote someone for President who appears to be such a loose cannon.

I would certainly not have a problem with Trump doing a lot of things, but POTUS is not one of them.

I'll gladly take someone a little less "interesting."
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 28th, 2015 at 1:55:26 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Journalists who are bothering to go out
and talk to people are floored with what
they're hearing from all the parts of the
voting public. People are sick to death
of the do nothing, get nothing done less
'interesting' politician's and they're afraid
we're losing the country because of them.
Trump they know, and they trust him. He
has accomplished a lot in his life and he
talks a good game.
RonC
RonC
August 28th, 2015 at 2:21:19 PM permalink

Even if Trump were running on several liberal progressive platforms, I still can't vote someone for President who appears to be such a loose cannon.

I would certainly not have a problem with Trump doing a lot of things, but POTUS is not one of them.

I'm not on the Trump bandwagon but, as I've said before in many different ways, maybe a loose cannon is better than a dysfunctional one.

No one has to admit it, but when someone steps outside the norm of the party, they are branded with bad names but really they represent what a lot of people think deep down--namely, let's get some people in office who actually want to do something and not just continue the same old games they play. Oh, yeah...some hate the ideas of a Tea Party, but many want something similar that represents their beliefs.

Trump is just that...imperfect, a bit out of control, and willing to change things.

I've said already he'd have trouble doing much because you actually have to deal with people in Congress--you can't just run them over, you have to finesse things and compromise. Those words are hardly used any more because so many have their feet in cement and their ears covered.
ams288
ams288
August 28th, 2015 at 2:46:38 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I've said already he'd have trouble doing much because you actually have to deal with people in Congress--you can't just run them over, you have to finesse things and compromise. Those words are hardly used any more because so many have their feet in cement and their ears covered.

I agree with this. No one brings up the fact that Trump would have to deal with Congress.

Trump is running as a dictator. He'll be a tough negotiator, won't take no for an answer, will make other countries bend to the will of the U.S.A., etc. Too bad he will never accomplish half of what he promises due to Congress. Members on both sides of the aisle are in the pockets of various interest groups and will stop him from "making America great again."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 28th, 2015 at 3:40:32 PM permalink

Journalists who are bothering to go out
and talk to people are floored with what
they're hearing from all the parts of the
voting public. People are sick to death
of the do nothing, get nothing done less
'interesting' politician's and they're afraid
we're losing the country because of them.

???
Its pretty common knowledge that Congress has some of the worst approval ratings ever.
I am pretty sure most journalists know this.

As to Trump. I have no doubt he will be the Republican nominee.
I also have no doubt that he will not be the President.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 28th, 2015 at 7:06:23 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

No one brings up the fact that Trump would have to deal with Congress.

Oh, you must mean just like the incumbent.

Trump is running as a dictator.

That can be said because he has vowed to revoke a bunch of illegal executive orders signed over the years.

He'll be a tough negotiator, won't take no for an answer, will make other countries bend to the will of the U.S.A., etc.

Only if one says that "the will of the U.S.A." is pernicious.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 28th, 2015 at 7:20:42 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

That can be said because he has vowed to revoke a bunch of illegal executive orders signed over the years.

Only if one says that "the will of the U.S.A." is pernicious.

There is more than one way to get the Nobel Prize.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 28th, 2015 at 8:08:24 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

There is more than one way to get the Nobel Prize.

It had been customary to award the prize to someone who had actually produced a tangible move toward peace. In the referenced case, it was almost pre-emptive. And the results grow clearer each day.
rxwine
rxwine
August 29th, 2015 at 12:47:42 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Trump is just that...imperfect, a bit out of control, and willing to change things.

Heh, You guys would be all over a Democratic candidate like flies on poo with a background like Reno posted earlier.

I'll re-quote it.
Quote:

Every Republican already knows the awful things he's said, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that on page 60 of Art of the Deal, Trump calls Ronald Reagan a "con man," but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows Trump's switched party affiliation 5 times in the past 2 decades, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that Trump supports affirmative action, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that his "anti-abortion" position is 100% insincere, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican already knows that he refers to Bush as "probably the worst President" in U.S. history, but it doesn't matter. Every Republican knows Trump dodged the draft with 5 deferments (4 educational + 1 medical) and then had the audacity to ridicule a U.S. Navy hero who was tortured by the Viet Cong, but it doesn't matter.

All of sudden there is only a little bit wrong? Yeah LOOSE CANNON. Maybe I didn't use big enough letters.

Now I realize very few Presidents are going to be great. Just as a sidelight, what kind of ideas will Trump leave us with. Not the Gettysburg Address. Maybe "You're a Loser!"

He's a promoter, a showman. He's got elements of PT Barnum. He hasn't been elected to even dog catcher before.
RonC
RonC
August 29th, 2015 at 4:54:17 AM permalink

Heh, You guys would be all over a Democratic candidate like flies on poo with a background like Reno posted earlier.

Did my statement show support for Trump?

I'll make my position more clear for you...

I don't think Trump is Presidential material. I don't think Clinton is Presidential material. Both are deeply flawed and I don't want to see either one in the White House. I also don't see a great candidate in the race. Perhaps someone will emerge as I listen to them more and look at all the issues, but I don't have a favorite yet.

People ARE all over Trump. He's been pushed out of events he was supposed to speak at, called out by other candidates, had numerous commentators question his motives and statements, etc. He is also resonating with the group of folks who are tired of the "do nothing" politics of DC and want someone who will do something. The problem is that he doesn't mince enough words to keep enough people happy to win...he offends a lot of people who could be on his side by being overly brash in his statements.

EVERY single negative thing that is out there about him will be brought up during the course of the campaign. As the field narrows, he'll actually have to answer for some of those things. Not many of the other candidates are answering a lot about "problem areas" (indiscretions, bad decisions, bad deals, etc.) right now, either. When some are pointed out, the candidates avoid really answering the most important questions. That applies to Trump; it also applies to Clinton and most of the other candidates.

I see a lot of people on both sides questioning Trump here; I am not sure what you want to see...
ams288
ams288
August 29th, 2015 at 5:48:26 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Exactly! Think of all the things Obama would have accomplished if it weren't for the Republican asshats in Congress.

Trump will be in the same boat. It won't matter how good a negotiator he is.
RonC
RonC
August 29th, 2015 at 5:57:20 AM permalink

Exactly! Think of all the things Obama would have accomplished if it weren't for the Republican asshats in Congress.

Trump will be in the same boat. It won't matter how good a negotiator he is.

Just look on all the things THEY could have accomplished had he been willing to really work with them instead telling them what they were going to do and, going the other way, if THEY had actually come to him with real improvements that both sides of the aisle supported.

I am so tired of thinking the crappy work of our government is all the work of one party or the other...they are both screwing us.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 29th, 2015 at 6:02:43 AM permalink

Yeah, so much better in a system like N. Korea with all those checks and balances in that pesky U.S. Constitution.

Of course, Obama had total control at one point, like no modern POTUS ever. All he did was pass a tax on everyone.
RonC
RonC
August 29th, 2015 at 6:28:56 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Yeah, so much better in a system like N. Korea with all those checks and balances in that pesky U.S. Constitution.

Of course, Obama had total control at one point, like no modern POTUS ever. All he did was pass a tax on everyone.

It is a tax...when it fits their narrative...

It is not a tax...when it fits their narrative...

He really did have it both ways!!
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 29th, 2015 at 9:46:15 AM permalink
When George W. Bush claimed to have attended a weekly Bible study to conquer his alcoholism, I completely believed him. Sarah Palin? Definitely religious. Mitt Romney? Of course he’s religious. Santorum, Huckabee, Rubio? Sure, they know their Bible.

But Donald Trump? Ha! This video clip is a Rorschach test on Trump: if you like him, you see a devout and pious man with deep religious convictions humbly keeping his profound relationship with Christ private and personal.

If you don’t like Donald Trump... the clip is hilarious! Just a shameless con man transparently spewing lies that could only fool the most gullible rube. He’s the junior high school kid getting called on by his English teacher to tell the class all about that book he never read.

Kudos to the reporters for keeping a straight face without bursting out laughing. It's comedy gold.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 29th, 2015 at 11:10:00 AM permalink
I thought it was brilliant of Trump to just avoid
the whole thing. It was a gotcha question and
they all knew it. When has Hillary been asked
to cite verses from the Babble? It's a question
you ask a 10 year old. And he's right. for most
people it is very personal.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 29th, 2015 at 11:42:31 AM permalink

I thought it was brilliant of Trump to just avoid
the whole thing. It was a gotcha question and
they all knew it. When has Hillary been asked
to cite verses from the Babble? It's a question
you ask a 10 year old. And he's right. for most
people it is very personal.

This is just one reason he is scaring liberals. He will not play by the established rules. They expect he will muff such questions. First he turns PC on it's ear, now he figuratively tells a liberal reporter asking a gotcha question to drop dead. If he gets the nomination, he will run circles around Hillary Clinton in any debate. If he does not, he shows others the way to handle a biased press corps.

Meanwhile, liberals are wondering why it is not just being handed to Jeb, their choice. America may starting to get in play, mainstream people vs. elites. And the regular folks like Trump so far.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 29th, 2015 at 12:19:04 PM permalink
Three of Jebs best fundraisers just deserted him.
They're contract was up and they headed for
the hills. Jebs says they weren't needed anymore.
Yeah, right, the election is 15 months away and
it's a good time to get rid of your best people.

It was a Bush against Clinton race, now what. Jeb
looks like a pasty faced slow moving rich guy,
and Hill has a few problems.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 29th, 2015 at 12:22:42 PM permalink

Three of Jebs best fundraisers just deserted him.
They're contract was up and they headed for
the hills. Jebs says they weren't needed anymore.
Yeah, right, the election is 15 months away and
it's a good time to get rid of your best people.

It was a Bush against Clinton race, now what. Jeb
looks like a pasty faced slow moving rich guy,
and Hill has a few problems.

Both Jeb and Hillary expected the nominations to be handed to them, like the old smoke-filled room days. Jeb is not as amusing as Hillary when he does not get what he expected to. I can only imagine working around Hillary right now. Must be best thing since being around Jim Kelly during the 4th Super Bowl.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 29th, 2015 at 12:57:15 PM permalink

This is just one reason he is scaring liberals..

???????

He will not play by the established rules. They expect he will muff such questions.

I don't expect him to muff any questions. I think he did great in the debate.
If there was any muff, it was by that absurd question by Megan Kelly or Kelly Megan, whatever her name is.

First he turns PC on it's ear, now he figuratively tells a liberal reporter asking a gotcha question to drop dead. If he gets the nomination, he will run circles around Hillary Clinton in any debate.

I have no doubt he will win the nomination. Look at the incredibly weak competition. Who will beat him? Bush? LOL. Carson? LOL harder. As to debating Hillary, meaningless. The Hispanic vote is lost, Hillary in a landslide regardless of debate performance.

If he does not, he shows others the way to handle a biased press corps. .

Absolutely. Palin was a Deer in headlights. Trump knows what he is doing.

Meanwhile, liberals are wondering why it is not just being handed to Jeb, their choice.

This is absurd as your statements that libs are afraid of Trump? Where does this come from? Fantasyland?
I am certainly not wondering why it is not being handed to Bush. Where does this come from? fantasyland?
Its obvious Trump is earning the Nomination. I expect him to win the nomination.

America may starting to get in play, mainstream people vs. elites. And the regular folks like Trump so far.

Hardworking regular folks such as the Hispanic portion of the vote has been totally lost by Trump.
His latest actions insure he gets the nomination and also insures he loses the Presidency.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
  • Jump to: