Thread Rating:

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
August 13th, 2015 at 1:34:56 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

The U.S. Congress requested the emails involving the government almost two years ago. Her stonewalling consisted of deleting emails after the Congress had sought them.

It doesn't matter. The Congress should not be asking her for anything. It is all their fault. She can delete emails as she likes.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
August 13th, 2015 at 1:35:48 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Now, the question is when will she be announcing her exit from the presidential race?

This will only happen in your dreams, so please be sure to let us know when it happens.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
ams288
ams288
August 13th, 2015 at 1:36:19 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

It doesn't matter. The Congress should not be asking her for anything. It is all their fault. She can delete emails as she likes.

Glad you are finally seeing the light.
RonC
RonC
August 13th, 2015 at 1:45:43 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Glad you are finally seeing the light.

Yes, I see it clearly.

Democrats/Liberals--free to do as they please, not subject to any rules, not to be questioned because they care so much about everyone and would never do anything wrong.

Republicans/Conservatives--if they try to act like the above, all hell breaks lose.

The problem is that all hell should break lose when either one of them misbehaves. Hillary misbehaved. How the heck hard is it just to say it, see how bad it really was, and go from there?

Does anyone really think that it is right to have sensitive government information on a personal server?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 13th, 2015 at 1:52:08 PM permalink

Does anyone really think that it is right to have sensitive government information on a personal server?

This just hit me. Hillary is a trained attorney. She knows that you are supposed to retain records. She willfully did not do so. That alone should be a major issue.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 13th, 2015 at 2:53:12 PM permalink
This is why Trump is snubbed by the party.
Watch all of this, Napolitano was fired
from Fox in 2012 for telling the truth in
this speech. Fox doesn't want the truth
told either.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2015 at 3:27:05 PM permalink
Dems Near Clinton Panic Mode

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/251008-dems-near-clinton-panic-mode

They're desperate for anybody but Hillary.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 13th, 2015 at 4:20:23 PM permalink

What baffles me about this Hillary Clinton email server nonsense is why we have all these right wingers who hate the government and always argue how inept it is suddenly arguing that government email servers MUST BE more secure than any other servers (yeah right!!).

I get the sense that if Dick Cheney or Donald Rumsfeld or Newt Gingrich had pulled the same email shenanigans that Hillary Clinton did, your reaction would be significantly different.

Try and rise above kneejerk partisanship. All these guys need to be held to the same ethical standard, regardless of whether there is an (R) or a (D) after their name. Just because I'm a liberal progressive, doesn't mean I have to bend over backwards to defend certain Democrats who are obviously crooks:

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2015 at 7:52:23 PM permalink
I just love these women, they are speaking a lot
of people.

SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2015 at 8:05:34 PM permalink

The Congress should not be asking her for anything. It is all their fault. She can delete emails as she likes.

It is called Congressional oversight, and the legislators have the duty to exercise their legal and financial powers. Unless, of course, there is some historical precedent. I'll take the under on that one.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 13th, 2015 at 8:27:08 PM permalink
You Hillary haters, although I have come to believe some of you guys are infatuated with her the way you obsess over her, but anyway you might get your wish. There is 'buzz' of Al Gore joining the race. He could claim the presidency that was stolen from him 15 years ago. :)
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 13th, 2015 at 8:57:05 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Napolitano was fired from Fox in 2012 for telling the truth in this speech.

"Firing" is not the same as canceling one of the of the judge's several programs:
"The Fox Business Network announced a major makeover of its primetime lineup. The new look slate will feature re-airs of The Willis Report, Cavuto, and Lou Dobbs Tonight, while ending the runs of FreedomWatch with Judge Andrew Napolitano, Power & Money with David Asman, and Follow the Money with Eric Bolling. mediaite
RonC
RonC
August 16th, 2015 at 7:38:10 AM permalink
"This is not news to anyone, of course, but it bears repeating. At least in the TV age, i.e. starting with 1960, and with the possible exception of 1968 which was a special case, the more likeable candidate has ALWAYS won the election."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/16/1145341/-The-more-likeable-candidate-always-wins-the-election#

" “While candidates with the more favorable personality tend to win more often, the effect that can be attributed to personality is rather small after accounting for other factors. In other words, the candidate with the more favorable personality usually would have won anyway.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/28/what-if-no-candidate-is-likable-enough.html

"Ever since I started covering national presidential campaigns for U.S. News in 1988, the more likable candidate has won. It was Barack Obama over Mitt Romney in 2012; Obama over John McCain in 2008; George W. Bush over John Kerry in 2004; Bush over Al Gore in 2000; Bill Clinton over Bob Dole in 1996; Clinton over George H.W. Bush in 1992, and George H.W. Bush over Michael Dukakis in 1988. Before that, Ronald Reagan was more likable than Walter Mondale in 1984 and Jimmy Carter in 1980, and Reagan won both times."

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/ken-walshs-washington/2015/02/27/the-likability-factor

Disregarding the "vast right wing conspiracy" (which, if a R had done the same stuff Hillary has, might be known as the "vast left wing conspiracy") for a few minutes, there is another factor which is discussed with differing opinions. There was information attributed to Peter Hart (but I did not find a quote yet) today saying that the most likable candidate has won every election since the Truman election, except the 1968 election.

How does that play for Hillary? Her "favorable" ratings have taken a major hit recently:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating

Of course, if the Republican candidate is equally disliked, it would not matter at all...
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 16th, 2015 at 10:54:23 AM permalink

Of course, if the Republican candidate is equally disliked, it would not matter at all...

Hillary is universally disliked, even in her
personal circle. The Secret Service has
despised her since 1992. She was even
hated by the staff when Bill was governor.
She treats people around her like crap.

In the WH there were standing orders
that when she was in the hallways, nobody
was allowed to even make eye contact
with her, let alone speak. This attitude
comes across to the public as a major
phoniness on her part, when she tries
to be a real person to the outside world.
The monster she really is always leaks
through.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 16th, 2015 at 12:08:45 PM permalink
Quote: reno

I get the sense that if Dick Cheney or Donald Rumsfeld or Newt Gingrich had pulled the same email shenanigans that Hillary Clinton did, your reaction would be significantly different.

Try and rise above kneejerk partisanship. All these guys need to be held to the same ethical standard, regardless of whether there is an (R) or a (D) after their name. Just because I'm a liberal progressive, doesn't mean I have to bend over backwards to defend certain Democrats who are obviously crooks:

Many conservatives criticize all 3 of those guys for various misgivings.

Conservatives seem more eager to criticize their party members than liberals do.

We already know what liberals would do to Dick Cheney if he played around with his personal email, they already jump on him for every little thing.

All parties and movements can be tribal, but because of political correctness and the desire for making everyone feel welcome, I would argue that liberals tend to be more tribal than conservatives. Conservatives are very fast to throw other conservatives under the bus, for all sorts of anti-conservative beliefs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 16th, 2015 at 12:18:36 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

We already know what liberals would do to Dick Cheney if he played around with his personal email.

Imagine if Sarah Palin was in trouble similar
to Hillary. The Libs would be exploding at
the seams, it would be the lead story on
every major Lib network.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 16th, 2015 at 1:22:28 PM permalink

Imagine if Sarah Palin was in trouble similar
to Hillary. The Libs would be exploding at
the seams, it would be the lead story on
every major Lib network.

Okay, Dick Cheney has been mentioned along in the same comments with Palin.

Yes, we would put that rube Sarah in the headlines because it's amusing. Cheney, we generally considered a real threat, and we took him seriously and it's still not clear just how much he influenced Bush, whether Bush or anyone else believes it.

Of course, I'm speaking for myself not all Libs.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 16th, 2015 at 2:18:31 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Yes, we would put that rube Sarah in the headlines because it's amusing..

Wrong. Amusing people don't make the
headlines, people you're threatened by
do make them. Trump isn't in the Lib
headlines because he's amusing.
rxwine
rxwine
August 16th, 2015 at 3:20:16 PM permalink

Wrong. Amusing people don't make the
headlines, people you're threatened by
do make them. Trump isn't in the Lib
headlines because he's amusing.

Biden.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
August 16th, 2015 at 4:04:42 PM permalink
I know AMS is counting him out, but IMO Scott Walker is in perfect position right now on the Republican side.

High enough in the polls to not be forgotten.

It's still a marathon at this point. It really depends on if he has another gear for later.

Not rooting for him, just my current observation.
ams288
ams288
August 16th, 2015 at 4:33:16 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I know AMS is counting him out, but IMO Scott Walker is in perfect position right now on the Republican side.

High enough in the polls to not be forgotten.

It's still a marathon at this point. It really depends on if he has another gear for later.

Not rooting for him, just my current observation.

I've been counting him out of the general election from day 1. No way that creeper wins the Presidency. Just look at his face. Something is off there.

Could he win the Republican nomination? Sure, why not? Republican primary voters are rarely concerned with picking the candidate who is the most electable.
bobsims
bobsims
  • Threads: 9
August 16th, 2015 at 5:26:22 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

You Hillary haters, although I have come to believe some of you guys are infatuated with her the way you obsess over her, but anyway you might get your wish. There is 'buzz' of Al Gore joining the race. He could claim the presidency that was stolen from him 15 years ago. :)

Your party would be much better served by Gore. He comes across as less toxic, corrupt and scary then the Wicked Witch. Of course in reality they're all selling the same delusional batshit craziness that open borders, an ever expanding military-industrial complex/welfare state, undisguised racism and trillion dollar annual deficits are somehow NOT going to crash the country. Half the country buys the delusion. well, at least in presidential years when the moron base of your party all vote-pimps, crackheads, ho's, ex-cons, anchor babies, junkies, high school dropouts and welfare bums.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 16th, 2015 at 7:24:39 PM permalink
Quote: bobsims

Your party would be much better served by Gore. He comes across as less toxic, corrupt and scary then the Wicked Witch. Of course in reality they're all selling the same delusional batshit craziness that open borders, an ever expanding military-industrial complex/welfare state, undisguised racism and trillion dollar annual deficits are somehow NOT going to crash the country. Half the country buys the delusion. well, at least in presidential years when the moron base of your party all vote-pimps, crackheads, ho's, ex-cons, anchor babies, junkies, high school dropouts and welfare bums.

Gore would probably be the safest bet. Hillary has so much baggage that I can't imagine why she is so popular.

Plus Gore automatically wins over the whole pro-environmental crowd.
ams288
ams288
August 17th, 2015 at 7:08:56 AM permalink
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/hillary-clinton-scandal-inevitable-problems/

Great article explaining why the betting markets haven't reacted to Hillary's email "scandal."
bobsims
bobsims
  • Threads: 9
August 17th, 2015 at 8:10:31 AM permalink

Gore would probably be the safest bet. Hillary has so much baggage that I can't imagine why she is so popular.

Plus Gore automatically wins over the whole pro-environmental crowd.

That's true. The environmentalists will be energized with Gore and know full well the Clinton's will wake up before breakfast (AFTER the election of course) just to f*** them.
reno
reno
August 17th, 2015 at 9:37:21 AM permalink

I would argue that liberals tend to be more tribal than conservatives. Conservatives are very fast to throw other conservatives under the bus, for all sorts of anti-conservative beliefs.

I dunno, I can think of examples to contradict that statement and I can also think of other examples to support it.

Conservatives rallied around Sen David Vitter (R) during his prostitution scandal, so he was not thrown under the bus. (If the Republican party was actually serious about family values & traditional marriage, he should've been.) Whereas Dems forced Congressman Anthony Weiner (D) to resign for his dirty sexting. Go figure.

On the other hand, conservatives really really hate RINOs who compromise their conservative principals. But for some reason lots of conservatives are cheering on Trump, an apolitical opportunist who's switched political parties 5 times since 1989.
reno
reno
August 17th, 2015 at 9:41:56 AM permalink

Trump is just having
fun, the guy is a clown. Quit taking him
seriously, he's just out for the publicity.

This was true back in June, I'm not certain it's still true. Personally, I think Trump's goals have changed. Apparently he's getting serious about Iowa.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
August 17th, 2015 at 9:49:49 AM permalink
Quote: reno

This was true back in June, I'm not certain it's still true. Personally, I think Trump's goals have changed. Apparently he's getting serious about Iowa.

I have no doubt that Trump is serious about running and serious about Iowa but that being said, there is a long history of frontrunners (which he is) running in the high teens or 20s not winning the nomination.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/candidates-in-donald-trumps-position-have-a-terrible-track-record/
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 17th, 2015 at 10:57:40 AM permalink
That's the thing about narcissistic sociopaths, they actually believe their own mantra.

I'm predicting he goes down in flames. Trump still isn't a a member of the tribe. Until he decides it's in America's best interest to go to war with Iran, he doesn't have a chance of support from the mic. A candidate has to align themselves with "Big" something, or other. Winning elections nowadays isn't just about the money.

But in Hill's case, it doesn't matter what she says anyway. It seems like teflon runs in her family, she could walk on stage eating a puppy and giving away nuclear secrets, and still get nominated. I'm glad the NFL season has started, the current distractions are sickening.

Look at the election like an Indy race, where the billionaire owners are sitting just off of the pits playing cards and scarcely noticing how their teams are doing. It is only a game of thrones anymore, the people be damned. Candidates are nothing more than pieces on a chessboard.

I think you have to either be on the c ia side [Obama] or the fb i side, like Bush/Clinton or you may be Kennedy'd [Robert]. Ted knew better. I love a good whiff of conspiracy in the morning. : ) All to be healed by the 3 o'clock stock ramp, with pm's diving into the close.

Gold is shifting West to East. The petrodollar is in trouble.
rxwine
rxwine
August 17th, 2015 at 11:38:41 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

That's the thing about narcissistic sociopaths, they actually believe their own mantra.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

I'd like to know how careful or risk adverse Trump actually is. He expresses success in a exaggerated way which doesn't technically match reality.

I don't mind that for someone's personal stakes. But then, he would be rolling the dice with something much bigger as President.
RonC
RonC
August 17th, 2015 at 12:18:09 PM permalink
I can see the datelines now...

Trump White House January 20, 2016--The new logo has been placed, renaming the "White House" as "Trump White House." President Donald Trump (D-R-D-R-I-D-R-D-R) launched the renaming from the Trump Rose Garden. He then boarded Trump Marine One bound for Andrews Air Force Base, where he boarded Trump Air Force One and headed on his first foreign journey to cllect the money to build the Trump Mexico-US Border Wall.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 17th, 2015 at 1:17:51 PM permalink
With Trump still ahead, I see some real problems for the Republicans.
Trump will never win a general election but he may be the seed that grows into a fractured convention.
The republicans against Trump will have to go with number 2 in the polls.
With 17 candidates, the best number 2 can hope for is 10%
Overall 10% sucks but its the reality with 17 candidates.
Rick Perry's campaign is going broke, but of course he will hang on till IA NH SC.
It looks pretty absurd to announce then drop out before the 1st 3 primaries.
Trump is not a typical politician and his base seems to be pretty loyal.
I see Trump holding his lead going into IA NH SC next year.
After the 1st 3 primaries, the last place candidates may not drop out due to Trump.
They will be part of the rights , anybody but Trump movement.
A last place candidate may see him or herself only 9 points from 2nd place establishment candidate and may stay in because they believe they still have a chance. That means the Republican establishment is getting behind a candidate with a pitiful 10%. Also a fractured convention on the horizon may convince all candidates not to drop out. Having some delegates at a fractured convention means power. No politician likes to give up power.

My prediction, a fractured convention with no candidate with a majority.
Conservative delegates may not get with the program if a candidate pledges his delegates to another candidate.

If you saw the ratings Fox got for a debate with the Trump effect
We may see the highest ratings ever for a convention that is fractured.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2015 at 1:37:13 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

You act like that's next week. It's a year
away. You must know how much can
happen in a year.

The big Lib, Ron Fournier, who has always
been a Hillary supporter, said yesterday
that 6 months ago he was thinking of
working for the Hillary campaign. Today
he says he distrusts her so much he might
not vote for her.

A lot can change in a year.
Gabes22
Gabes22
August 17th, 2015 at 3:10:48 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

With Trump still ahead, I see some real problems for the Republicans.
Trump will never win a general election but he may be the seed that grows into a fractured convention.
The republicans against Trump will have to go with number 2 in the polls.
With 17 candidates, the best number 2 can hope for is 10%
Overall 10% sucks but its the reality with 17 candidates.
Rick Perry's campaign is going broke, but of course he will hang on till IA NH SC.
It looks pretty absurd to announce then drop out before the 1st 3 primaries.
Trump is not a typical politician and his base seems to be pretty loyal.
I see Trump holding his lead going into IA NH SC next year.
After the 1st 3 primaries, the last place candidates may not drop out due to Trump.
They will be part of the rights , anybody but Trump movement.
A last place candidate may see him or herself only 9 points from 2nd place establishment candidate and may stay in because they believe they still have a chance. That means the Republican establishment is getting behind a candidate with a pitiful 10%. Also a fractured convention on the horizon may convince all candidates not to drop out. Having some delegates at a fractured convention means power. No politician likes to give up power.

My prediction, a fractured convention with no candidate with a majority.
Conservative delegates may not get with the program if a candidate pledges his delegates to another candidate.

If you saw the ratings Fox got for a debate with the Trump effect

This ain't happening. Half the field will drop out shortly after Iowa. This isn't the first time on either side of the aisle that there has been a large primary field and they always seem to whittle down fairly quickly. Numbers also show with a early frontrunner like Trump polling in the 20s, that he is in big trouble. I don't know who will overtake him, somebody will however
kewlj
kewlj
August 17th, 2015 at 3:28:10 PM permalink
A couple of thoughts I am having today.

1.) I found the picture over the weekend of President Obama playing golf with Bill Clinton up at Martha's Vineyard on Saturday, a little troubling. I mean, Hillary Clinton IS currently being investigated by the FBI as well as a couple parts of Obama's administration. That just seems a little Too chummy and inappropriate.

Before you repubs jump in, let me say this is just one example of this type of thing that happens on both sides in Washington. You wouldn't have to dig to far to find the same inappropriate things on the repub side.

2.) Donald J Trump's jury duty thingy today. Really? It just so happened that this guy, who is a master of keeping himself in the news and the free publicity that generates, just happened to be called for jury duty today? which of course drew huge media attention, crowds.

His Jury Duty, just happened to come up at this particular time? For the record, I would like to know about other times he served Jury Duty. I'd be willing to wager that every other time, he got out of it. lol.
Gabes22
Gabes22
August 17th, 2015 at 3:35:17 PM permalink
Plenty of people get out of jury duty with regularity. My mother, always gets dismissed rather quickly due to her medical background. Last time I got called, I got called up to the courtroom to be interviewed and didn't have one question thrown my way. My idea, a guy with his public profile is likely to be dismissed fairly quickly
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2015 at 3:40:08 PM permalink

His Jury Duty, just happened to come up at this particular time?

I'm sure he knew 6 weeks ago about
this day, this stuff moves very slowly
and they inform you well in advance.
My wife served last year and she had
the date 2 months in advance.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 17th, 2015 at 3:41:23 PM permalink

You act like that's next week. It's a year
away. You must know how much can
happen in a year.

The big Lib, Ron Fournier, who has always
been a Hillary supporter, said yesterday
that 6 months ago he was thinking of
working for the Hillary campaign. Today
he says he distrusts her so much he might
not vote for her.

A lot can change in a year.

Oh absolutely a lot can change in a year.
Its actually surprising that each party every 4 years is able to rally around 1 candidate well before the convention.
Right now the Democratic convention is gonna be a snooze fest as its always been.
That of course can change but that's what its looking like.

On the republican side, that's where all the entertainment is.
Trump is a Teflon candidate. His support will remain the same regardless of what he says.
This is a new era of politics we are entering due to Citizens United.
In the past it took a huge commitment of resources to gather the amount of money needed to sustain a Presidential campaign.
With Citizens United, the candidates are flooded with big money.
That's why we have 17 on the Republican side running, there is that much money going around.
In the past the numbers were far fewer then 17.

A lot can happen but I just don't see the right gathering around 1 candidate.
Trump has the best shot yet he is unelectable.
Walker is getting desperate by now agreeing with Trump regarding building a Wall on the border.
Walker getting some support from conservatives here and is supported by the Republican establishment but is polling around 6%. That's pitiful. Those are unelectable Huckabee numbers.
Yea the Republican convention is a long way off but my crystal ball points to a fractured convention.
With no clear majority, bottom tier candidates will not drop out due to the power garnered from having some delegates at a fractured convention.
Its a perfect storm combination of Trump, 17 candidates and Citizens United Money.
For the 1st time ever, we had an entertaining debate.
Why not an entertaining convention for once.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
ams288
ams288
August 17th, 2015 at 6:10:59 PM permalink
Donald Trump is all over the news today with his interview saying he'd end birth right citizenship (which is B.S. - it'd take a constitutional amendment to do. Never gonna happen.)

And Chris Christie & Scott Walker have said similar things.

It's like they don't even want to win the election...
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 17th, 2015 at 8:28:20 PM permalink
People who think Trump can do any of the things
he wants are ill informed. He's not a politician,
he has no idea how to get things done in the
political arena.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 17th, 2015 at 8:35:06 PM permalink

he wants are ill informed. He's not a politician,
he has no idea how to get things done in the
political arena.

Exactly.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
kewlj
kewlj
August 17th, 2015 at 9:38:44 PM permalink

he wants are ill informed.

Why pick on Trump? Every politician running for any office on both sides makes all sorts of promises that it is not within their power to deliver.

Several of the Republican candidates are proposing some variation of a flat tax (which I have some support for). None of them would have the authority, as president to change the tax code.

Most repubs vow to 'repeal' Obamacare on day one. The "Affordable Care Act" is now the law of the land, no different than social security or medicare. The President doesn't have the authority to undo any of those.

Some of the hard core social conservatives like Huckabee, Santorum and Cruz, still say they will end gay marriage on day one. No authority what-so-ever to do that.

Politicians say what people want to hear, regardless of their ability to actually deliver.
kewlj
kewlj
August 17th, 2015 at 10:08:38 PM permalink
The Trump effect: There are those that say none of this matters. We are 15 months out from the presidential election and this will all be forgotten long before then. I disagree.

Trump will NOT be the republican nominee, but I believe he has already severely damaged the republican party, who was an underdog coming into this election.

After 2012 presidential defeat, the republican brain trust got together and issued what is commonly referred to as the "autopsy report". Basically it stated they needed to do better with women and Latinos to have a legitimate chance of winning a national election in a format that now increasingly favors the democrats as far as presidential election.

So how have they done? You can debate how they are doing with women. But lets focus on the ever increasing Latino vote. Since the moment Trump entered the race, with his inflammatory remarks about Latino's and Mexicans, he has hurt the party's position. Now his detailed immigration plan has gone even further to do so.

To those that think these comments will be long forgotten by the actual election, do you really think people are going to forget about a party talking about deporting them, or their family members, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, including legally born citizens born right here? Think again. When it hits that close to home, people don't forget.

To those that think Trumps remarks and policies do not represent the parties position, several other candidates, Cruz, Scott Walker have come out Today supporting Trumps plan, while others like Jeb Bush have come out against it (Jeb realizes the permanent damage Trump is doing). In addition, Trumps position is not entirely his own. One of the key people that helped draft it was Senator Jeff Sessions. That's right, a sitting U.S. Senator. That gives credit to the notion that it isn't just some madman's ramblings or position, but a position backed by at least some legitimate members of the party.

Repubs were never going to win the Latino vote. But what they needed to do was get their share and keep the margins down. That is growing increasingly unlikely.

I am not declaring Dem's the winner of the election by any means. We will have to see who the candidates actually are and who is damaged and so on, but just looking at the generic model, and the generic map, repubs are digging an even deeper hole for themselves and Donald Trump is out front digging with the biggest shovel, doing the most damage. His damage will remain, long after he is gone.
rxwine
rxwine
August 18th, 2015 at 12:25:21 AM permalink

A couple of thoughts I am having today.

1.) I found the picture over the weekend of President Obama playing golf with Bill Clinton up at Martha's Vineyard on Saturday, a little troubling.

I don't see why it's troubling. I'm pretty sure they've been able to contact each other unseen by the public every day, if that's what they want to do for some mischief. Might as well worry what they do all the time, in that regard.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2015 at 12:39:20 AM permalink

His damage will remain, long after he is gone.

The sad thing is, it took you 15min to write that
bal-oneyfest. You must think the voters are a bunch
of morons.
rxwine
rxwine
August 18th, 2015 at 12:46:30 AM permalink
Obama/Hillary. Yeah, I guess I could see it. Perfectly within his power if it ever came to that.

Quote:

Now, therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from July (January) 20, 1969, through August 9, 1974.

kewlj
kewlj
August 18th, 2015 at 12:50:43 AM permalink

The sad thing is, it took you 15min to write that
bal-oneyfest. You must think the voters are a bunch
of morons.

Tell ya what Bob. Let's go back and read the 2012 election thread and see which us thought the voters were morons and which of us knew what the voters were thinking. :)
ams288
ams288
August 18th, 2015 at 4:22:28 AM permalink

Tell ya what Bob. Let's go back and read the 2012 election thread and see which us thought the voters were morons and which of us knew what the voters were thinking. :)

I was just reading the 2012 thread the other day!

The righties were truly drinking the Kool-Aid that year (sorry for the overused phrase, but it fits so well.....)

There are posts from the morning of Election Day and they still thought Romney was gonna win, despite literally every reliable indicator pointing to an easy Obama win.

Good times...
RonC
RonC
August 18th, 2015 at 5:38:47 AM permalink

I was just reading the 2012 thread the other day!

The righties were truly drinking the Kool-Aid that year (sorry for the overused phrase, but it fits so well.....)

There are posts from the morning of Election Day and they still thought Romney was gonna win, despite literally every reliable indicator pointing to an easy Obama win.

Good times...

Look where that got us...

Of course I wanted the person I voted for to win and I looked for the hopeful signs and not the bad ones. Why give up? I'm a realist and I was really hoping for something better than what we got.

Make fun of me for that, but I always want something better for the country.
ams288
ams288
August 18th, 2015 at 5:52:52 AM permalink

Look where that got us...

Of course I wanted the person I voted for to win and I looked for the hopeful signs and not the bad ones. Why give up? I'm a realist and I was really hoping for something better than what we got.

Make fun of me for that, but I always want something better for the country.

Of course I want my candidate to win as well.

But in the days before the election, if the polls, betting markets, general common sense, etc. say they're not gonna win, I will admit that it's not looking good. I don't want to look delusional in the face of the facts.
  • Jump to: