Thread Rating:

kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
June 16th, 2015 at 10:38:43 PM permalink
I am not convinced Trump Is actually running for president, as I stated above (well last page actually). But if he is, if he goes ahead and files the paperwork, I have kind of a long shot theory that his entry into the Republican field (which he can't and won't win), may actually be the primer to him running as an independent in the general election.

He would use the republican primary season, and debates, to tear down Jeb Bush, resulting in the repub nominee being someone else, someone seen as a weaker general election candidate, probably Rubio or Walker. Then, as an independent candidate in a general election 3 way race, he would go after Hillary in the same manner and beat her down. He is very good at attacking people.

The thing about a third party independent candidacy is there is an appetite for that as there are a large group of independence and members of both parties that are fed up with the two party system. I think Trump probably realizes that his very high unapproval rating, people that say they could never vote for him, which is 55%, would preclude him from winning a majority election, but he may be able to get 38, 39, 40% and win a three way election, under just the right conditions.

That's my longshot theory. Not that Trump wins the presidency as a third party candidate, but that is his plan.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 17th, 2015 at 12:33:12 AM permalink
Guys, Trump has no intention of running,
it's free publicity. Donald is a media whore,
anything to keep his franchise in the news.
Very savvy, I think. In the first Pirate movie,
Jack Sparrow tells the Brit wanker:

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 17th, 2015 at 12:50:54 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Very savvy, I think. In the first Pirate movie,
Jack Sparrow tells the Brit wanker:

Ain't that the truth.
kewlj
kewlj
June 17th, 2015 at 1:02:37 AM permalink

Donald is a media whore,

Tonight NBC announced it has put the franchise on hold.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 17th, 2015 at 1:13:29 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Tonight NBC announced it has put the franchise on hold.

In mid season of a reality show. The drama,
oh the drama..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 17th, 2015 at 1:36:35 AM permalink
Trump is willing to go on TV with his hair the way it is, so he will take any publicity he can.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
kewlj
kewlj
June 17th, 2015 at 1:38:18 AM permalink

In mid season of a reality show. The drama,
oh the drama..

The show has been on break since February. It is scheduled to begin production for the next season in next month and that is now on hold.

Meanwhile, Trump has campaign stops scheduled for Iowa tomorrow, New Hampshire the following day and South Carolina on Friday, so it won't take long to figure out if he is just scamming the public yet again.

If he is, and backs out or doesn't follow through with filing official paperwork, he will lose any little bit of credibility that he has left. His legacy will be that of a bullshitter. Maybe he doesn't care, as at 69 years old, he figures this is his last big scam, I don't know.

But ya know, I am thinking maybe he is just crazy enough to think he can be president. When a guy stands there and tells you how rich he is and how smart he is, he is pretty damn 'full of himself'.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 17th, 2015 at 2:28:11 AM permalink

Ya know Ron, at some point, my family came from Ireland back in the day, just like millions of others from different parts of Europe. These were all people seeking a better life for themselves and there children in America. Today, it's coming up from Mexico and South America, rather than Europe. And these people are looking for better opportunities for themselves and their children. The only difference is that we (United States) are not welcoming everyone anymore, as we did for hundreds of years.

When my family, and probably yours, came from wherever, what if the US had a non welcome policy. Would that have changed anything? Would mine and your ancestors not have come, or would they have still come seeking a better life for their children, knowing that their first act in arriving was illegal?

It's a different time and we (U.S) have overpopulation issues and not enough jobs, so policies needed to, and still need to change. But all I am saying is let's not vilify people who only seek a better live for their children. However we have to handle it, we need to show compassion for those less fortunate that seek a better life (and be grateful that our ancestor's choose a different time to seek a better life).

Immigration has been under some form of control for over 100 years. The notion that just anyone could get in at any time is false. At the very least, they were required to enter only after "inspection"--and the laws remain governing who can and cannot enter legally. Perhaps we don't admit as many legally now as we did before and maybe the current immigration laws are not perfect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't control our borders, enforce the laws we have, and update them as needed.

Compassion is great. I'm not against somehow legalizing those who are here. The problem is that we need to shut down the flow or make it law that no one who enters illegally after a certain date can EVER be granted citizenship. That isn't saying we won't offer opportunities for legal immigration, just that you can't sneak in and get citizenship.

Illegals allow evil businessmen to depress wages for crappy jobs that no one wants to do at the wages offered. If I hire illegals, I can not bother with basic safety because they aren't going to OSHA. I can hire them as day workers, forget about the tax things, and just drop them off at the end of the day--there are many sites around town where you can pick up an illegal or two. Mistreat them at your own convenience. The wages stay lower, people avoid "bad" jobs, and we end up paying to support those people. Illegals don't all have jobs; that is why they are on the street corners looking for piece work.

There has to be a sane way to control immigration firmly and fairly. It isn't "open borders" and it isn't a fence with a moat and cannons, drones, etc. killing those who cross. It also isn't hiding behind those two extremes by calling them lunacy; it is by ending lunacy and creating a real, working immigration policy.

In any case, the only ones that win if you let the fringe make the rules are the people on the fringe. The rest of us lose.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
June 17th, 2015 at 2:45:32 AM permalink

Jeb might be able to beat Hillary in a general election, but he's never going to make it through his own party to get there and if he some how does, he will be so beat up, he will have no shot. It's a strange thing the repubs are doing this campaign season so far.

By strange thing, you mean actually having a primary process and not a coronation?

Hillary is extremely beatable. Why go with a candidate your base does not like just because liberals think she is?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 17th, 2015 at 3:41:35 AM permalink

Ya know Ron, at some point, my family came from Ireland back in the day, just like millions of others from different parts of Europe. These were all people seeking a better life for themselves and there children in America. Today, it's coming up from Mexico and South America, rather than Europe. And these people are looking for better opportunities for themselves and their children. The only difference is that we (United States) are not welcoming everyone anymore, as we did for hundreds of years.

When my family, and probably yours, came from wherever, what if the US had a non welcome policy. Would that have changed anything? Would mine and your ancestors not have come, or would they have still come seeking a better life for their children, knowing that their first act in arriving was illegal?

It's a different time and we (U.S) have overpopulation issues and not enough jobs, so policies needed to, and still need to change. But all I am saying is let's not vilify people who only seek a better live for their children. However we have to handle it, we need to show compassion for those less fortunate that seek a better life (and be grateful that our ancestor's choose a different time to seek a better life).

I agree with what kj said here, but would add that, if you look at contemporaneous reports from 100 years ago in newspapers and books, you will see amazingly disparaging slurs against Irish and Polish immigrants going back decades (and lasting for decades more), along with Italians and Jews from anywhere else. The things that get said about latino immigrants (both legal and illegal) really pale in some ways to what was said/thought then. The movies Far and Away and Titanic both at least touched on what I'm talking about. So, not a new pattern of thought in America, just new groups to receive the venom.

Not in any way advocating illegal immigration, just making an observation. My mom immigrated from Canada, so we sort of lived this first-hand, though she was naturalized while I was still a kid. We did, however, hear the occasional crap about "cold-backs" and such.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
June 17th, 2015 at 4:12:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I agree with what kj said here, but would add that, if you look at contemporaneous reports from 100 years ago in newspapers and books, you will see amazingly disparaging slurs against Irish and Polish immigrants going back decades (and lasting for decades more), along with Italians and Jews from anywhere else. The things that get said about latino immigrants (both legal and illegal) really pale in some ways to what was said/thought then. The movies Far and Away and Titanic both at least touched on what I'm talking about. So, not a new pattern of thought in America, just new groups to receive the venom.

Not in any way advocating illegal immigration, just making an observation. My mom immigrated from Canada, so we sort of lived this first-hand, though she was naturalized while I was still a kid. We did, however, hear the occasional crap about "cold-backs" and such.

Very few advocate deporting every single illegal alien and closing the borders with excessive violence, walls, moats, etc. Very few advocate letting everyone in without regard for any existing laws. The problem is more that we can't find the middle any more and fix issues; it is all about making the other side out to be the devil while the side we are in is, of course, perfect.

Key things like deciding how many immigrants we can handle (are current quotas too low), what will stop the flow of illegals into the country, how to deal with countries that encourage illegals to head here yet have draconian immigration laws of their own, how we keep businesses from profiting from illegal laborers treated more like slaves, getting rid of as many gang bangers as possible, stopping the encouragement of "anchor babies", etc. are forgotten in the politics of "liberal" and "conservative"...

Our government serves us very poorly. It oversteps here, does nothing there, and is a bastion of inefficiency. Even our programs to "help" people don't "help" as much as they should--why would we ever want a policy that discourages fathers from being in the home? The government bureaucracy doesn't work for anyone, which is why I have a hard time favoring more large government programs. The people we elect don't intend to change any of it, unless we make them.

We attack anyone who tries to interfere with the process, as we did with the Tea Party. Instead of fighting them on their positions, we labeled them as things they weren't and attacked them on a more personal level at every opportunity. It was easier to do that than to think about why such a group was formed (and I don't discount some of the money behind it; there is lots of money behind groups on either side, so they are equally bad...Koch Bros, Soros, they are all the same--trying to buy what they want) and figure out that we need SOME of the things they may favor, like smaller and more efficient government.

It is our fault. We get the government we deserve by not paying attention and holding them ALL accountable. A Republican takes a misstep, he is trashed by one side and defended by the other. NO!! If anyone does something illegal or immoral of a significant degree, EVERYONE should work to get them to move out of government and back into the private sector.

We're too busy being liberal or conservative to worry about solving problems...

//End of Rant//
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 17th, 2015 at 10:39:09 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Seriously, why is success in the real world such a downer for you folks on the left?

Why do so many "folks on the right" think "having lots of money" is the only measurement of "success in the real world?"

Muammar Qaddafi had $200 billion. Was he successful? Someone to idolize or emulate?

Quote: The Mexican Fisherman

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat, captained by a single Mexican fisherman, pulled in to dock. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

"How long did it take you to catch them?" the American asked.

"Only a little while," the Mexican replied.

"Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?" the American then asked.

"I have enough to support my family's immediate needs." the Mexican said.

"But," the American then asked, "What do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, and play with my children. In the afternoon I take a siesta with my wife, Maria. Then we stroll into the village each evening where we sip wine and I play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor."

The American scoffed, "I have a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But what then, senor?"

"Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But senor, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But what then, senor?"

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "Millions, senor? What then?"

The American said slowly, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos..."

"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 17th, 2015 at 11:07:17 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Trump will try to put his name on everything. Reason enough never to elect him.

Half the state of West Virginia is named after former Senator Robert Byrd
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 17th, 2015 at 11:51:55 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

Why do so many "folks on the right" think "having lots of money" is the only measurement of "success in the real world?"

I do not remember where I or anyone on the right said it is the only measure. But is is for sure a measure, and us "on the right" are tired of liberals implying there is something wrong with legit financial success. The same liberals who condemn Mitt Romney for his business success have no problem with a Hillary Clinton getting a huge honorarium from forced student fund payments to give a commencement speech.

Romney, Trump, and others hustled to make it in the real world, a good thing.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
June 17th, 2015 at 12:00:46 PM permalink

Muammar Qaddafi had $200 billion. Was he successful?

Yes, until the secretary of state decided to eliminate him. He had actually been cutting back on his rhetoric and bellicosity for quite a few years, even to the extent of burgeoning cooperation with the West and the U.S.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
June 17th, 2015 at 3:58:01 PM permalink

I do not remember where I or anyone on the right said it is the only measure. But is is for sure a measure, and us "on the right" are tired of liberals implying there is something wrong with legit financial success. The same liberals who condemn Mitt Romney for his business success have no problem with a Hillary Clinton getting a huge honorarium from forced student fund payments to give a commencement speech.

Romney, Trump, and others hustled to make it in the real world, a good thing.

Nothing at all wrong with legit financial success. I'm hustling after that myself, as we speak (I took three calls during the drafting of this post, two of which were billable). But there's also nothing that meaningfully implies that "legit financial success" is a reliable indicator of success in politics at the level of the presidency. "Legit financial success" can happen in many ways, even excluding a pillaging dictator like Qaddafi. LeBron James has "legit financial success," and so do Jennifer Aniston and Maria Herrera, but I wouldn't think any of them would have any special talent for running the executive branch.

It's convenient to think that the skills developed by a successful CEO would make a good President, and the President is indeed called the "chief executive," but that's where the parallels end. The goal of a CEO is to increase shareholder value and to be the "buck stops here" decision maker. The goal of the President is to "faithfully execute the Office of President" which means, among other things, "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed." (U.S. Constitution, Art. II, section 3). In other words, the President is supposed to be beholden to Congress's Laws, regardless of whether he likes them. That's entirely antithetical to being a chief executive of a company.

I guess my point is that it's often assumed that a business executive would make a good politician, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I certainly don't think it's necessarily true that a business executive with no public service experience would make a better politician than someone who's actually been a politician before.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
kewlj
kewlj
June 17th, 2015 at 4:10:25 PM permalink

It's convenient to think that the skills developed by a successful CEO would make a good President, and the President is indeed called the "chief executive," but that's where the parallels end. The goal of a CEO is to increase shareholder value and to be the "buck stops here" decision maker. The goal of the President is to "faithfully execute the Office of President" which means, among other things, "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed." (U.S. Constitution, Art. II, section 3). In other words, the President is supposed to be beholden to Congress's Laws, regardless of whether he likes them. That's entirely antithetical to being a chief executive of a company.

I don't think a successful CEO, would necessarily make a good president, MathExtremist. A CEO is the man. He calls the shots. The has all the power. He is used to getting things his own way. A president doesn't, despite what many think. A president has to be able to work with congress, compromise and make deals to get things done. Something the current president, who I voted for twice, isn't very good at. As a matter of fact....he sucks at it. Our government is specifically set up so branches have to work together (checks and balances) and that is contrary to the way a CEO and business works.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
June 17th, 2015 at 4:22:11 PM permalink
Cant these republican candidates get an honest crowd behind them when they announce they are running.
1st Ted Cruz announces at a student event that is mandatory or you will be fined if you skip the event.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/545923/students-upset-attend-ted-cruzs-liberty-university-event-face-fine

Now Trump, he had to pay acting extras 50 bucks each to stand with him for the announcement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/donald-trump-campaign-offered-actors-803161
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 17th, 2015 at 4:29:31 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Cant these republican candidates get an honest crowd behind them when they announce they are running.
1st Ted Cruz announces at a student event that is mandatory or you will be fined if you skip the event.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/545923/students-upset-attend-ted-cruzs-liberty-university-event-face-fine

Now Trump, he had to pay acting extras 50 bucks each to stand with him for the announcement.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/donald-trump-campaign-offered-actors-803161

What difference does it make? There are schools that made students buy Obama's book. Hillary has more fake Twitter followers than anyone else. In 2008 the Obama people made sure there were "enough white people" standing behind him. Are you under the illusion that politics is reality?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 17th, 2015 at 4:29:37 PM permalink

What difference does it make? There are schools that made students buy Obama's book. Hillary has more fake Twitter followers than anyone else. In 2008 the Obama people made sure there were "enough white people" standing behind him. Are you under the illusion that politics is reality?
terapined
terapined
June 17th, 2015 at 4:38:49 PM permalink

The Obama book. Was this a mandatory class and the entire population of the school had to buy the book? I think not.
The Ted Cruz event was mandatory for the entire student population, if you did not attend, you got fined. Rand Paul supporters were upset. No love for student conservative Rand Paul suporters AZ?
kewlj
kewlj
June 17th, 2015 at 4:52:16 PM permalink

Very savvy, I think.

So after his big announcement Tuesday, Trump flew to Iowa for a campaign rally Tuesday evening with 300 supports. (there are reports that some were paid). The campaign handed out hundreds of Trump for president tee-shirts. Trump has hired the guy that ran Rick Santorum's Iowa campaign in 2012 (Santorum finish a close 2nd on caucus night, adjusted to the winner 2 weeks later at the official count).

Today (Wednesday, Trump held a campaign rally in New Hampshire. No report on how many in attendance. Friday he has a campaign rally scheduled for South Carolina. If this is a hoax, and "free publicity", it is beginning to become an elaborate hoax and I don't think the publicity is all that free.

I think this guy is so full of himself, he thinks he can be president or at least shake hell out of the field.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 17th, 2015 at 4:52:57 PM permalink

The Obama book. Was this a mandatory class and the entire population of the school had to buy the book? I think not.
The Ted Cruz event was mandatory for the entire student population, if you did not attend, you got fined. Rand Paul supporters were upset. No love for student conservative Rand Paul suporters AZ?

I forget the school and can't find the cite, but yes, all students were required to buy and read it.

And by liberal logic it is perfectly acceptable to require someone do something or else pay a fine (see: Obamacare.)
terapined
terapined
June 17th, 2015 at 4:55:17 PM permalink

I forget the school and can't find the cite, but yes, all students were required to buy and read it.

This is a gambling site.
Lets make a bet.
I bet that there is no school with a sizable population that forced every single student to buy his book.
When I say sizable, there are some really small tiny colleges set up just so they can field a basketball team.
Talking real school here.
Bet?
Cant believe you cant find the site, did you check foxnews? If this was true, Fox would be all over this and archived there.
Again, Bet?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 17th, 2015 at 5:19:05 PM permalink

This is a gambling site.
Lets make a bet.
I bet that there is no school with a sizable population that forced every single student to buy his book.
When I say sizable, there are some really small tiny colleges set up just so they can field a basketball team.
Talking real school here.
Bet?
Cant believe you cant find the site, did you check foxnews? If this was true, Fox would be all over this and archived there.
Again, Bet?

Ithaca College, which has about 6,600 students total grad and undergrad combined.

Not large but not small, my state school had 8,000 undergrads and was Division II in most sports.

BTW: Thank you for suggesting I search a fair and balanced site, I learned how to google one site only.
terapined
terapined
June 17th, 2015 at 5:34:30 PM permalink

Ithaca College, which has about 6,600 students total grad and undergrad combined.

Not large but not small, my state school had 8,000 undergrads and was Division II in most sports.

BTW: Thank you for suggesting I search a fair and balanced site, I learned how to google one site only.

Very familiar with the school.
Its a real school, not a basketball team school.
Barton hall music venue on campus.
5/8/77 Extremely hot sizzling Grateful Dead Concert. If you are going to listen to 1 Grateful Dead show, this is it. Phil is playing those big huge bouncy bass notes throughout a smoking Scarlet Begonias.
https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf

Anyway, Students were threatened with a fine if they did not attend the Ted Cruz Rally
The book, its online for free to read for Ithaca students at their online school library with a password for suggested summer reading for 1 incoming class 1 year.
I don't know about you but there is a big diff between a threatened fine and free summer suggested reading material.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 17th, 2015 at 5:44:13 PM permalink

Very familiar with the school.
Its a real school, not a basketball team school.
Barton hall music venue on campus.
5/7/77 Extremely hot sizzling Grateful Dead Concert. If you are going to listen to 1 Grateful Dead show, this is it. Phil is playing those big huge bouncy bass notes throughout a smoking Scarlet Begonias.

Anyway, Students were threatened with a fine if they did not attend the Ted Cruz Ralley
The book, its online for free to read for Ithaca students at their online school library with a password for suggested summer reading for 1 incoming class 1 year.
I don't know about you but there is a big diff between a threatened fine and free summer suggested reading material.

So we have established that it is not unusual for schools to require things on political grounds. So what is the big deal?

Many students have been forced to pay Hillary Clinton to speak.
kewlj
kewlj
June 18th, 2015 at 12:54:56 AM permalink
Well, it's a new day and I have a new conspiracy theory on Donald Trump's presidential candidacy.

On the daily Show, Wednesday night, When Jon Stewart tried to get Bill Clinton to say something negative about Trump, President Clinton would not do so. He went as far to say that Trump has always been kind and supportive of him and Hillary. He said Trump had donated to the Clinton's Foundation.

This got me doing some research and it turns out Trump donated to Hillary's Clinton's senate Run in 2000 as well as her presidential campaign in 2008. In 2012 during one of his many interviews on Fox's Greta show, They were discussing whether Hillary would run again for President in 2016 and Trump said "he hoped she would, that he likes her and thinks she did a good job as Secretary of State". When Greta asked if he could support a Hillary campaign in 2016, He said "he didn't want to get into that".

So obviously my new conspiracy theory is that Trump's presidential bid, for as long as it lasts, is really about attacking and damaging Jeb Bush, who is the main threat to Hillary as well as just injecting kaos into the republican field. Just think about the disparaging comments he made about Mexican's yesterday at his announcement. Could this have been just to insure the Latino vote runs screaming from the republicans toward Hillary?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74636.html
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 18th, 2015 at 4:19:52 AM permalink

Well, it's a new day and I have a new conspiracy theory on Donald Trump's presidential candidacy.

On the daily Show, Wednesday night, When Jon Stewart tried to get Bill Clinton to say something negative about Trump, President Clinton would not do so. He went as far to say that Trump has always been kind and supportive of him and Hillary. He said Trump had donated to the Clinton's Foundation.

This got me doing some research and it turns out Trump donated to Hillary's Clinton's senate Run in 2000 as well as her presidential campaign in 2008. In 2012 during one of his many interviews on Fox's Greta show, They were discussing whether Hillary would run again for President in 2016 and Trump said "he hoped she would, that he likes her and thinks she did a good job as Secretary of State". When Greta asked if he could support a Hillary campaign in 2016, He said "he didn't want to get into that".

So obviously my new conspiracy theory is that Trump's presidential bid, for as long as it lasts, is really about attacking and damaging Jeb Bush, who is the main threat to Hillary as well as just injecting kaos into the republican field. Just think about the disparaging comments he made about Mexican's yesterday at his announcement. Could this have been just to insure the Latino vote runs screaming from the republicans toward Hillary?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74636.html

You could be on to something.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
terapined
terapined
June 18th, 2015 at 6:24:12 AM permalink
What I love about Trump is he doesn't hold back.
His comment on George Will and Charles Krauthammer "They're losers," Trump said. "They're just losers. They sit there; they haven't done anything"
The Daily news that put trump clown on their cover - "The Daily News is going to be out of business very soon. It's doing no business whatsoever. And they do that for circulation"
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 18th, 2015 at 7:44:41 AM permalink
I am absolutely enjoying the chaos Trump is causing this election season.

It is no secret that he has donated money to the Clintons in the past...
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
June 18th, 2015 at 8:18:22 AM permalink
So has anyone here started any wagering on either the GOP primary winner or the general election with odds yet?

Or is it too early to start making those bets?
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 18th, 2015 at 8:26:57 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I am absolutely enjoying the chaos Trump is causing this election season. It is no secret that he has donated money to the Clintons in the past...

Has that ever been documented?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 18th, 2015 at 8:30:00 AM permalink

He should meet some pretty interesting characters at the annual donor party.
ams288
ams288
June 18th, 2015 at 8:37:52 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

I don't know. Probably? Google it.
RonC
RonC
June 18th, 2015 at 8:40:09 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

"Trump has also been generous with the Clinton Foundation, donating at least $100,000, according to the non-profit."

"Trump donated $5,000 to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and $20,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in the 2006 cycle, effectively buoying the election prospects of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, respectively."

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/donald-trump-donations-democrats-hillary-clinton-119071.html
terapined
terapined
June 18th, 2015 at 8:44:26 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

"Trump has also been generous with the Clinton Foundation, donating at least $100,000, according to the non-profit."

"Trump donated $5,000 to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and $20,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in the 2006 cycle, effectively buoying the election prospects of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, respectively."

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/donald-trump-donations-democrats-hillary-clinton-119071.html

Many rich people and companies typically donate to both sides of the aisle.
It insures access regardless of who wins.
ams288
ams288
June 18th, 2015 at 8:48:31 AM permalink

Many rich people and companies typically donate to both sides of the aisle.
It insures access regardless of who wins.

Exactly. I don't buy any conspiracy theory that Trump is trying to harm any of the Republicans.

He is just trying to give himself as much exposure as possible.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 18th, 2015 at 8:50:00 AM permalink

Oh, so the foundation equals the Clintons. I'd guess that's probably correct, because the foundation reports that 85 percent or so of its funds are for expenses.
RonC
RonC
June 18th, 2015 at 9:21:45 AM permalink

Chaos?

I guess if you want to call it that. He's tossed his wig in the ring before; he really was not much of a factor at all. It'll be the same this time.

As to donating to the Clintons, who cares?
kewlj
kewlj
June 18th, 2015 at 9:41:20 AM permalink

He's tossed his wig in the ring before; he really was not much of a factor at all.

Well, that is just not true. Most he has even done is talked about it. Announcing that he is a candidate, as he did the other day is a step further than he has ever gone, although that too is 'just talk' until he files the official paperwork. But the hiring of people to run his campaign as he did this week and the campaign schedule he is currently on, takes things far further than he has ever gone before.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
June 18th, 2015 at 9:56:36 AM permalink
It's noteworthy that Trump's entrance basically pushes another candidate off the stage at the televised GOP debates. The media has limited access to only 10 speakers or so and there are already more than that in the race now. There's no chance that Trump won't be one of them, so someone else just got booted.
RonC
RonC
June 18th, 2015 at 10:13:53 AM permalink

Well, that is just not true. Most he has even done is talked about it. Announcing that he is a candidate, as he did the other day is a step further than he has ever gone, although that too is 'just talk' until he files the official paperwork. But the hiring of people to run his campaign as he did this week and the campaign schedule he is currently on, takes things far further than he has ever gone before.

You are correct; I guess I am just so used to him being a distraction that I thought he had actually said he was running before.

I'll believe that he is serious at some point, but most of what Trump does is just seeking publicity for Trump. I know some are harping that he may knock a legitimate contender off the stage at the Fox debate in August; I just don't know how serious of a contender the #10 person in any race. The 10th and lower ones in one poll (RealClearPolitics...http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html) are:

Perry
Santorum
Fiorina
Kasich
Graham
Jindal

We'll see what happens but I'll be surprised if he sees this thing through. I don't consider his candidacy a bad thing.
kewlj
kewlj
June 18th, 2015 at 10:28:02 AM permalink

I know some are harping that he may knock a legitimate contender off the stage at the Fox debate in August; I just don't know how serious of a contender the #10 person in any race. The 10th and lower ones in one poll

Perry
Santorum
Fiorina
Kasich
Graham
Jindal

I was thinking the same thing. If you are hovering in 9th, 10, 11th place and get knocked off the stage, your candidacy, probably wasn't going anywhere anyway. Although in this day and age since the citizens united decision, there is a path for an unknown that wasn't there in previous cycles. You do well in the debates, attracting not only voters, but one of these 'sugardaddy' billionaires, that likes the sounds of what you are saying and boom, you are in instant contention because of his money.

The two I believe are probably the biggest losers because of a Trump candidacy are Fiorina and Kasich. Both pretty low name recognition that have an upside. Many think both may actually be seeking the vice-presidential position. Kasich is also sort of the establishemnt's backup candidate. If Bush stumbles badly and really tanks in the polls, or decides to drop out early, there would be an instant infusion of money to Kasich. But not making it on to the debate stage dooms both.

Someone like Jindal who hasn't announced, may just decide not to do so, as his odds of cracking the top 10 just got longer.

But enough politicking for me. It's 10:30 in the desert and 100 degrees on the way to maybe toughing 110. Time to get out into the heat. (better desert heat than casino heat)
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
June 18th, 2015 at 10:54:37 AM permalink
I think it has been mentioned here before, but I like the idea of having 4 or 5 round table discussions with 3 or 4 of the candidates at each prior to the "debate cut" down to 10 candidates. I would wager that most people don't know what half of the candidates stand for. I sure don't, and I sort of (but not really) pay attention to this stuff.

I think having all the candidates participate in informal discussions like the Sunday morning shows would allow each to get his ideas out there, and separate themselves (philosophically) from each other. It also wouldn't be the zoo that the 10-person debate will most likely be. This would give people a little more on which they could form their opinions about the candidates, and make the "cut poll" a little more meaningful/representative.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
1stworldview1
1stworldview1
  • Threads: 0
June 18th, 2015 at 8:52:40 PM permalink
Jeb Bush talks about his foreign bride

On Tuesday presidential candidate Jeb Bush spoke about the first meeting between himself and his future foreign bride, Columba. " It was love at first sight. I spoke little Spanish and she spoke little English, but when you are in love you can overcome those barriers pretty quick. There's another language that matters the most."

John Ellis "Jeb" Bush is an American businessman and politician who served as the 43rd Governor of Florida from 1999 to 2007. He is the second son of former President George H. W. Bush and former First Lady Barbara Bush, and the younger brother of former President George W. Bush.

Bush met his wife while in Leon, Mexico helping to build homes. León is a city in the Mexican state of Guanajuato. They married a few years later in Austin, Texas, and now live in Coral Gables, Florida.

Is there a difference between Jeb Bush's Foreign Bride and so called Mail Order Brides? Feminists and women rights groups have argued for years that men who travel across boarders for love take advantage of women that come from lower economic regions. In 2005 the Tahirih Justice Center and Senator Cantwell pushed legislation regulating foreign brides, stating that men take unfair advantage of women in foreign counties. The law (IMBRA ) requires marriage brokers to run background checks on all men that seek a foreign bride. Bush's wife was underage at the time they met and came from one of the poorest areas of central America. Did Jeb Bush then take advantage of his future wife Columba? After all she came from poverty and Jeb Bush came from a powerful, wealthy family.

Kenneth Agee, Marketing of Director of A Foreign Affair, a company that specializes in foreign bride match-making says, "Absolutely not! In our society and most societies women are always looking to find a better way of life. It is instinctual for females to find the best possible suitor for having a family, just like it is instinctual for men to be attracted to certain physical aspects of women. How would marrying into wealth make you a victim? The notion that men have economic control of women, at best, would not last long after marriage. It is equally invalid to say women have a control over men because of their beauty. The truth is, a negative situation can happen no matter where you meet and has more to do with character than economics or location. Personally, my wife is from Russia, is very strong-willed, and would never let herself become a victim. I find this to be true of most foreign women. I'm sure Jeb Bush would agree. Contrary to the opinion of Terra Justice Center, an INS study showed there were fewer issues with cross-border marriages than domestic marriages. In fact they have a much higher success rate"

And Jeb Bush is not the only candidate with a foreign-born wife. Candidate Donald Trump is also currently married to Melania Trump, a former model from Slovenia. Donald Trump's first wife, Ivana, is from the Czech Republic.

Marrying foreign women is becoming a trend for the elite. FOX News CEO Rupert Murdoch is married to Wendi Deng Murdoch from Jinan, China, with a 38 year age difference.

Yet feminists continue to argue that men seek foreign brides only because they lack the necessary social skills to find someone in the US. This is clearly not the case, as these successful men do not lack socials skills.

Society has changed greatly over the years and love has no borders. Looking worldwide for love is becoming the norm now. Each week companies like A Foreign Affair take dozens of men to countries all over the world where they attend social events, meeting hundreds of beautiful women and models, who like themselves are serious about finding true love and marriage. These men are from many varied walks of life: doctors, CEOs, policemen, businessmen, you name it. You don't have to be a Bush or Trump to see the advantage of looking abroad for real love.

With two candidates, Jed Bush and Donald Trump, both married to foreign brides, we could see our first foreign-born First Lady in the White House.
kewlj
kewlj
June 18th, 2015 at 10:42:50 PM permalink
That's one hell of a first post. I haven't quite figured your agenda, but I do feel like your portrayal is unfair to Jeb Bush. So, I will play the unusual (for me) role of defending him.

You mention that Columba Bush was 'underage', 16 when they met, but you conveniently left out the Jeb too was underage at 17. It is as if you left that out trying to paint a picture of an older Jeb 'reeling' in a young girl. They were both a couple of teenager. Since they did not marry until 4 years later when they were both in their early 20's, absolutely nothing scandalous here.

Your comparison to mail order brides also appears to be an attempt to paint Jeb Bush in that same negative vein, as the stereo-typical mail bride scenario is an older American, white, businessman 'vulturing' on a younger girl and that just is not the case here. This is just a case of a couple of kids from vastly different backgrounds falling in love, carrying on a courtship for a number of years and marrying. Sounds like a beautiful story to me. The fact that 40 some years later, they appear to still be going strong, sort of proves no real agenda on either side.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
June 19th, 2015 at 1:19:06 AM permalink
Quote: 1stworldview1

Is there a difference between Jeb Bush's Foreign Bride and so called Mail Order Brides? Feminists and women rights groups have argued for years that men who travel across boarders for love take advantage of women that come from lower economic regions. In 2005 the Tahirih Justice Center and Senator Cantwell pushed legislation regulating foreign brides, stating that men take unfair advantage of women in foreign counties. The law (IMBRA ) requires marriage brokers to run background checks on all men that seek a foreign bride. Bush's wife was underage at the time they met and came from one of the poorest areas of central America. Did Jeb Bush then take advantage of his future wife Columba? After all she came from poverty and Jeb Bush came from a powerful, wealthy family.

They were both underage, he was there for a volunteer project, teaching English and building buildings for one of his classes. Its not like he was a 50 year old man who went down and married a 16 year old.... He was 17 and she was 16 when they worked together. I don't see how this is even an issue?

I don't care for Bush so I am by no means defending him because I support him, but the amount of scrutiny this has gotten is absurd, many (probably the vast majority) 16 and 17 year olds date together when they are in school this is hardly news, and this is certainly not a scandal.

As for female rights? I would think female rights groups would support women being able to marry whoever they want. The idea that a women in a different country cannot be trusted to make her own decision sounds sexist to me, so I am not sure what these so called female rights groups are saying.

So Bush dated (and married) a girl who came from a poor background? Do you think there should be a law that you can only date people of the same income level as you? I don't even understand how this is an issue or why this is a concern?....
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
June 19th, 2015 at 3:12:36 AM permalink

On Tuesday presidential candidate Jeb Bush spoke about the first meeting between himself and his future foreign bride, Columba. " It was love at first sight. I spoke little Spanish and she spoke little English, but when you are in love you can overcome those barriers pretty quick. There's another language that matters the most."

John Ellis "Jeb" Bush is an American businessman and politician who served as the 43rd Governor of Florida from 1999 to 2007. He is the second son of former President George H. W. Bush and former First Lady Barbara Bush, and the younger brother of former President George W. Bush.

Bush met his wife while in Leon, Mexico helping to build homes. León is a city in the Mexican state of Guanajuato. They married a few years later in Austin, Texas, and now live in Coral Gables, Florida.

Kenneth Agee, Marketing of Director of A Foreign Affair, a company that specializes in foreign bride match-making says, "Absolutely not! In our society and most societies women are always looking to find a better way of life. It is instinctual for females to find the best possible suitor for having a family, just like it is instinctual for men to be attracted to certain physical aspects of women. How would marrying into wealth make you a victim? The notion that men have economic control of women, at best, would not last long after marriage. It is equally invalid to say women have a control over men because of their beauty. The truth is, a negative situation can happen no matter where you meet and has more to do with character than economics or location. Personally, my wife is from Russia, is very strong-willed, and would never let herself become a victim. I find this to be true of most foreign women. I'm sure Jeb Bush would agree. Contrary to the opinion of Terra Justice Center, an INS study showed there were fewer issues with cross-border marriages than domestic marriages. In fact they have a much higher success rate"

And Jeb Bush is not the only candidate with a foreign-born wife. Candidate Donald Trump is also currently married to Melania Trump, a former model from Slovenia. Donald Trump's first wife, Ivana, is from the Czech Republic.

Marrying foreign women is becoming a trend for the elite. FOX News CEO Rupert Murdoch is married to Wendi Deng Murdoch from Jinan, China, with a 38 year age difference.

Yet feminists continue to argue that men seek foreign brides only because they lack the necessary social skills to find someone in the US. This is clearly not the case, as these successful men do not lack socials skills.

Society has changed greatly over the years and love has no borders. Looking worldwide for love is becoming the norm now. Each week companies like A Foreign Affair take dozens of men to countries all over the world where they attend social events, meeting hundreds of beautiful women and models, who like themselves are serious about finding true love and marriage. These men are from many varied walks of life: doctors, CEOs, policemen, businessmen, you name it. You don't have to be a Bush or Trump to see the advantage of looking abroad for real love.

With two candidates, Jed Bush and Donald Trump, both married to foreign brides, we could see our first foreign-born First Lady in the White House.

You've made the same post under two identities within 5 hours. That's not how this great forum works. I don't know if there's much I can do for you but I'll try since you are hardly the first to do this.

Administrators, can you delete one of the accounts and give this poster a second chance? You know, kinder, gentler and all that. There, I've done my first good deed of the day. Should be a shoo in with all the pull I have here. :-)

By the way, some of the movers and shakers on this very site are married to foreigners.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 19th, 2015 at 3:15:16 AM permalink

Feminists and women rights groups have argued for years that men who travel across boarders for love take advantage of women that come from lower economic regions. In 2005 the Tahirih Justice Center and Senator Cantwell pushed legislation regulating foreign brides, stating that men take unfair advantage of women in foreign counties. The law (IMBRA ) requires marriage brokers to run background checks on all men that seek a foreign bride. Bush's wife was underage at the time they met and came from one of the poorest areas of central America. Did Jeb Bush then take advantage of his future wife Columba? After all she came from poverty and Jeb Bush came from a powerful, wealthy family.

Feminists do not like "mail order brides" yet they do not realize they are the reason the whole mail-order bride thing exists. Feminists continually try to emasculate men at every turn, try to snuff out their manly instincts. This starts in kindergarten and never ends. They want men to act like women. So guys see how women in other cultures treat their men and see it works better for both of them. The women over there see how much better the American treats them and are happy with the situation. IOW, the reason there is a market for this is because it works.

By your article you act as though Jeb is the first guy to meet a woman he loved while overseas. I also see that this is your first post, so I will ask how well do you get paid for posting in forums for the Hillary camp?
  • Jump to: