Thread Rating:

Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
February 6th, 2014 at 7:38:12 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

More willful ignorance.

Did you even read the story? Probably not, but I see that still hasn't prevented you from spouting off. Anyway, there is no "disaster", and those communities haven't run out of water. Heck, the article has given everybody fair warning, so if they're still pathetic enough to screw things up from top to bottom, then (like I said before) they get what they deserve.

And, contrary to what you believe, part of the job of government officials is to prepare for disasters!!

EDIT: How come you've picked up right where your buddy ams288 left off? There was such a smooth transition. (IP check!)

There is a disaster and a state of emergency has been called in California because of the drought which has been driest year in 153 years on record. What they are doing now is trying to get people to ration water so they don't have to use more expensive options. Also when Texas had its droughts and the major problems brought about by that was that due to a massive failure of government or was it they were simply dealing with a disaster as best as they could. Seriously if you knew anything about California you'd learn that it has several drought warnings and they get through them fine. This one happens to be more severe then most because it is drier then most years but again it will be handled fine. When I lived in California there were several droughts and there was some rationing like only being able to water lawns on certain days of the week but all and all life moved on.

Oh and if the mods want they can feel free to do an IP check.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 6th, 2014 at 7:47:48 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

There is a disaster and a state of emergency has been called in California

Um...I was speaking in general terms about disasters. Not disaster areas. For example, if everyone in your family dies in a burning house, that's a disaster even though your home isn't a disaster area. Seems like you need every damn thing spelled out for you.

Fighting BS one post at a time!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 6th, 2014 at 8:12:45 PM permalink

Roughly 4% of the population identify as fitting the LGBT spectrum and about close to 10% of the general US population are either atheist or agnostic so not at all unusual that you would have a gay atheist. Also again what is with you and knowing peoples orientation? I mean what did that question positively add to this conversation?

Add to that that LGBTs tend not to be religious due to the whole old Leviticus thing which pretty much outcast homosexuality among all Christians until say, the latter decade of the past century.

And my best friend came from a "straight, conservative, Catholic" family. Doesn't mean anything. His sister turned into a brother. Parental infleunces and genetics go a long way.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Twirdman
Twirdman
February 6th, 2014 at 8:18:12 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

And my best friend came from a "straight, conservative, Catholic" family. Doesn't mean anything. His sister turned into a brother. Parental infleunces and genetics go a long way.

Basically I'm from a fairly conservative Catholic family and now an atheist. The newer generations are being less and less defined by their parents generations and are tending more towards atheism and also are more willing to label themselves homosexual rather then repress it.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 6th, 2014 at 8:21:23 PM permalink

There is a disaster and a state of emergency has been called in California because of the drought which has been driest year in 153 years on record. What they are doing now is trying to get people to ration water so they don't have to use more expensive options. Also when Texas had its droughts and the major problems brought about by that was that due to a massive failure of government or was it they were simply dealing with a disaster as best as they could. Seriously if you knew anything about California you'd learn that it has several drought warnings and they get through them fine. This one happens to be more severe then most because it is drier then most years but again it will be handled fine. When I lived in California there were several droughts and there was some rationing like only being able to water lawns on certain days of the week but all and all life moved on.

Stop making sense, Twirdman. As long as some Fox-news related political point is made, it must be right.

I feel like a Coke.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Twirdman
Twirdman
February 6th, 2014 at 8:29:58 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Stop making sense, Twirdman. As long as some Fox-news related political point is made, it must be right.

I feel like a Coke.

To be honest I'm still not sure what 9th was trying to prove about California. Going with the weather sucks because other then the coast that is totally true. Don't see how the state has mishandled this yet. Basically being handled like every other drought everywhere.
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
February 6th, 2014 at 9:23:00 PM permalink
The drought problem facing California, and much of the southwest is just another manifestation of the over-population problem. But, again, there are no viable poltical solutions, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 6th, 2014 at 9:25:50 PM permalink

Don't see how the state has mishandled this yet.

Yeah, CA is being governed just perfectly. Big booming economy, citizens yearning to move in, etc.....LOL!
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
February 7th, 2014 at 8:11:30 AM permalink

EDIT: How come you've picked up right where your buddy ams288 left off? There was such a smooth transition. (IP check!)

lol I promise you we are not the same person. They can feel free to do an IP check.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 7th, 2014 at 12:13:06 PM permalink
Because of the Calif drought the US cattle herd is
at its lowest since 1951, and dropping every day
as farmers sell off livestock because of lack of
water. But I'm sure everything will be 'just fine'
as some on here think. Wait till this summer when
people go to take a shower and no water comes
out.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 7th, 2014 at 2:17:50 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Wait till this summer when
people go to take a shower and no water comes
out.

Then CA will become even more like France, which is fitting...lol
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 7th, 2014 at 2:57:08 PM permalink
So far this Winter, Colorado has been getting slightly better than average snowpack. California's inland empire region has recently received a nice glob of rain. All is not Rainbows and Daffodils though because lakes Powell and Mead are at very low levels. It will take more than a few globs of rain to refill those two. If you're an infrastructure nerd like I am, you probably already have this site bookmarked.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
February 9th, 2014 at 9:16:52 AM permalink
Getting back on topic, here's a photo(shop) of Cuban Fidel Castro with Canadian Ted Cruz (Castro is the one on the left).
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 9th, 2014 at 9:29:00 AM permalink
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As much as it pains me to do this, I have to give s2 credit on this one. I literally laughed out loud! :D
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 10th, 2014 at 1:23:37 PM permalink
NAACP: Bring Photo ID To Protest Photo ID Laws

This story's almost as ridiculous as the one about Obama wanting to stop people from spying on his spies!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 10th, 2014 at 3:43:51 PM permalink
Paul: Benghazi Should Prevent Clinton From Holding Higher Office (video)

Quote: from Rand Paul video

..We're talking about six months of ignoring repeated, one after another requests for security. But then the coup de grâce and the thing that I think should limit Hillary Clinton from ever holding high office, when she was asked for reinforcements, she turned down reinforcements.

Right on! I can't believe how many low information voters out there think this was an "intelligence failure". The only way that claim could possibly be true is if they meant that Obama, Hillary et al. failed to act on the intelligence they received!
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 1st, 2014 at 5:04:32 AM permalink
It was easy for some to dismiss Sarah Palin as a "know nothing" because she made mistakes on the campaign trail, just as Dan Quayle and others had done in the past. It is funny, of course, that our incredibly fair and balanced media made light of every mistake they could find her having made yet just plain ignored every stupid or ignorant (even racist--the "dialect" thing) that our less-than-amazing Vice President said during the very same campaign.

Turns out Sarah got more right than some give her credit for...and likely more than Biden does, too:

"After the Russian Army invaded the nation of Georgia, Senator Obama's reaction was one of indecision and moral equivalence, the kind of response that would only encourage Russia's Putin to invade Ukraine next."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/02/28/Flashback-Palin-Mocked-in-2008-for-Warning-Putin-May-Invade-Ukraine-if-Obama-Elected-President

Oh, I realize the source is a right-leaning website; the reason for that is simple--the left-leaning media (you know, the folks that are not even doing their traditional jobs as journalists) won't report on this. To do so would make Palin look smarter than they portrayed her as and make them look as if they missed something.

..and that is the main issue--with the media acting the way they do and not truly vetting candidates on BOTH sides through the same prism, it is going to be a hard slog to get a conservative candidate selected (the media will prop up the most liberal candidate in the primaries) and elected. Look at how they are leaving Hillary untouched because, of course, all of the potential scandals in this administration are made up, including Benghazi.

I'd love for a liberal to say with a straight face that they would not be all over Benghazi, the IRS, the actions of the Attorney General, etc. if the shoe was on the other foot...
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 1st, 2014 at 2:51:59 PM permalink
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, thanks for bringing up Palin's comment from '08. I totally forgot about it, and it just goes to show how objective the mainstream media is. (wink wink)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 1st, 2014 at 4:23:15 PM permalink

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, thanks for bringing up Palin's comment from '08. I totally forgot about it, and it just goes to show how objective the mainstream media is. (wink wink)

What I am waiting for is for someone in the media to connect the dots from Obama's actions to Putin's empowerment. Pulls the missile defense from Poland and Eastern Europe. "Red Line" that was not. And a week ago major army downsizing. It does not take a genius to see the pattern.

OTOH, the Obama/Hillary "reset button" worked! We have "reset" to 1979!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 1st, 2014 at 9:41:38 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

We have "reset" to 1979!

Love that line! Hope you don't mind if I steal it for future use. ;)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 2nd, 2014 at 5:01:23 AM permalink

Love that line! Hope you don't mind if I steal it for future use. ;)

I hope it makes it to the popular culture! Like the dealer suspended for telling Elvis's manager he couldn't win I will smile when I hear it, knowing it was me.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 3rd, 2014 at 4:14:56 PM permalink
My god, is this what the military has turned into?!?!?

Gay and lesbian troops perform in drag on American military base
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 3rd, 2014 at 4:44:41 PM permalink

My god, is this what the military has turned into?!?!?

Gay and lesbian troops perform in drag on American military base

Bob Hope is rolling in his grave.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 3rd, 2014 at 5:25:04 PM permalink
OMG!! Teh geys are in the Armies!!

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 3rd, 2014 at 5:42:35 PM permalink
Quote:

Bob Hope is rolling in his grave.

Bob Hope dressed up as a woman in movies and in skits.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 3rd, 2014 at 6:17:50 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Bob Hope dressed up as a woman in movies and in skits.

So have many male comics. It is almost a cliche that a guy in show business will eventually have to wear a dress and a woman will have to take her top off.

Hardly compares to a draq queen show.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 3rd, 2014 at 6:35:28 PM permalink

So have many male comics. It is almost a cliche that a guy in show business will eventually have to wear a dress and a woman will have to take her top off.

Az has a point here. Dressing up like a woman is totally different and not at all comparable to dressing up like a woman.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 3rd, 2014 at 6:43:32 PM permalink

+1

How someone can compare a (straight) comedian to a drag queen is beyond me.
Twirdman
Twirdman
March 3rd, 2014 at 8:21:31 PM permalink

+1

How someone can compare a (straight) comedian to a drag queen is beyond me.

Well even ignoring the fact that drag queens can be heterosexual that is just dumb. Its totally OK to wear pantyhose as long as you later want to get into a women's panties. I mean how is it more offensive when a gay man does it then when a straight man does it?

I mean you could argue against the exaggerated features of a drag queen making it more offensive then a more traditional straight laced comedian dressing up like a standard women and that argument has some merit. But why is it more offensive when a gay men dresses like a woman than when a straight man does it?

I mean in both cases you have 2 people who identify as males dressing up like woman I just fail to see how 1 leads to the moral decay of society and the other is just some good wholesome fun.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 4th, 2014 at 3:17:52 AM permalink

I mean you could argue against the exaggerated features of a drag queen making it more offensive then a more traditional straight laced comedian dressing up like a standard women and that argument has some merit. But why is it more offensive when a gay men dresses like a woman than when a straight man does it?

I mean in both cases you have 2 people who identify as males dressing up like woman I just fail to see how 1 leads to the moral decay of society and the other is just some good wholesome fun.

It is in the content of the show. A short list of straight male actors who have dressed as women:

Tom Hanks
Rodney Dangerfield
Robin Williams
Bob Hope
Monty Python Crew (various)
John Ritter
Jamie Farr

(Yes, I know Chapman was gay)

In each case the humor was silly humor. The guy was not pretending to be a woman because he "identified as a woman" but to get away with some scheme that advanced the comedy. Even in Monty Python they just used guys dressed as (usually old) women because it advanced the comedy.

Transvestite Drag Queens are quite the opposite. The offensiveness is not per se the fact that they are gay. It is how camped up they act in the show. Some folks may like this kind of humor, but I have to agree that it is not proper behavior for a member of our armed forces to engage in as a performer.

I will say it before someone asks. I don't care if they are still "good at their day job." It is not proper, manly, or soldier-like. I would absolutely call it "conduct unbecoming of an officer."

As to why on the above, my reasoning is it is attention-whore behavior. Not content to sing or do a stand-up act they want to do it in a dress and camp it up so as to get extreme reactions, well this is why.

OTOH I know the worst thing I can do to them personally is ignore them completely. They will think there is something wrong with them if I do not react. But I will have done nothing wrong.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 4th, 2014 at 1:24:37 PM permalink

Well even ignoring the fact that drag queens can be heterosexual that is just dumb.

LOL...it's funny how you always pop up out of nowhere whenever gay issues or asexual issues are mentioned. Looks like you were dormant for over a week, but you had to come out of your slumber just to respond to me. haha :D

...but I have to agree that it is not proper behavior for a member of our armed forces to engage in as a performer.

+1

It's amazing that some people can't tell the difference between a drag queen and a normal guy who's just trying to get a laugh.
Twirdman
Twirdman
March 4th, 2014 at 6:28:15 PM permalink

LOL...it's funny how you always pop up out of nowhere whenever gay issues or asexual issues are mentioned. Looks like you were dormant for over a week, but you had to come out of your slumber just to respond to me. haha :D

+1

It's amazing that some people can't tell the difference between a drag queen and a normal guy who's just trying to get a laugh.

Or I mentioned I'm a grad student and I post when I have a break in studies. Posted a lot during winter because I had winter break. Posted a few times now because I have spring break.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 6th, 2014 at 1:51:14 AM permalink

Or I mentioned I'm a grad student and I post when I have a break in studies. Posted a lot during winter because I had winter break. Posted a few times now because I have spring break.

You really love responding to posts about gay issues though. At least that's what I've noticed.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 6th, 2014 at 1:53:35 AM permalink
You gotta love this one:

DNC Attendees Can't Name a Single Hillary Accomplishment

Be sure to watch 0:55 when these Dem-wits are asked, "In [Hillary's] tenure as Secretary of State, what would you point to as her biggest accomplishment?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 8th, 2014 at 6:41:39 PM permalink
Sarah Palin killed with her key note speech today, she
brought the house down. She was relentless on Obama and
gave her own version of Green Eggs and Ham. Cutest,
most endearing thing I've ever seen a politician do.
She's devastating to the Left, no wonder they hate her.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 8th, 2014 at 7:06:21 PM permalink

Sarah Palin killed with he speech today, she brought
the house down. She was relentless on Obama and
gave her own version of Green Eggs and Ham. Cutest,
most endearing thing I've ever seen a politician do.
She's devastating to the Left, no wonder they hate her.

Au contraire mon ami, we adore Sarah Palin. We want more Sarah Palin. We need Sarah Palin. If Sarah Palin didn't exist, we'd have to make one up! Her re-write of that bleeding heart liberal, Theodore Seuss Geisel's Green Eggs and Ham (a book about trying something new that you are certain that you will not like) made me jump for joy. If we liberals could pick someone to march the banner of Conservatism off a cliff for us, it would be Sarah Palin. She's awesome!
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 8th, 2014 at 7:51:40 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Au contraire mon ami, we adore Sarah Palin. We want more Sarah Palin.

Then you'll be happy, she's going to be
everywhere this year. She was instrumental
in the 2010 midterm and she will be this year
as well. She really connects with the base
and gets them out to vote. The Left has
no such powerhouse speaker. She was
wonderful today, she skewers Obama like
nobody else and the audience loves it.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 8th, 2014 at 8:57:37 PM permalink

Then you'll be happy, she's going to be
everywhere this year. She was instrumental
in the 2010 midterm and she will be this year
as well. She really connects with the base
and gets them out to vote. The Left has
no such powerhouse speaker. She was
wonderful today, she skewers Obama like
nobody else and the audience loves it.

From your lips to the Flying Spaghetti Monster's ears :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 9th, 2014 at 12:07:12 AM permalink
What a speech. Just saw it again on Youtube. Flawless,
riveting. Nailed Obama to the wall. She's right where
we need her, pissing off the Left and getting out the
vote. She has the Libs peeing their pants about Nov..
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 9th, 2014 at 6:15:26 AM permalink

What a speech. Just saw it again on Youtube. Flawless,
riveting. Nailed Obama to the wall. She's right where
we need her, pissing off the Left and getting out the
vote. She has the Libs peeing their pants about Nov..

Well, I guess I was watching a different speech. The speech that Sarah Palin gave at CPAC was unintentionally funny. It was a word salad worthy of her lack of contiguous thought (a.k.a. scatterbrain). I cheered, I laughed, I pointed. I hope that she takes that speech all around the country. People will see the true meaning of "Conservative". Sarah Palin is the best thing to happen to Liberalism since Barry Goldwater.
RonC
RonC
March 9th, 2014 at 6:28:58 AM permalink

People will see the true meaning of "Conservative".

It would be awful if the people understood the true meaning of "Liberal"...they'd never elect someone like the current occupant of the White House.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 9th, 2014 at 6:32:01 AM permalink
Looks like Obama can't even spell R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

I know that some people here believe that the media is objective, so when should we expect the media to harp on Obama the same way they harped on Dan Quayle when he misspelled 'potato'??????

RonC
RonC
March 9th, 2014 at 6:36:20 AM permalink

Looks like Obama can't even spell R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

I know that some people here believe that the media is objective, so when should we expect the media to harp on Obama the same way they harped on Dan Quayle when he misspelled 'potato'??????

The media is only objective when you view it from the Liberal side of things, of course...but you knew that!!

They didn't shred Biden either with his sharp comments like asking the guy in the wheelchair to stand up...

They did skewer Palin for her metaphorical statement about seeing Russia but they aren't bothering to credit her for being right about Putin during the same election cycle.

They are objective alright...
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 9th, 2014 at 6:41:30 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

They didn't shred Biden either with his sharp comments like asking the guy in the wheelchair to stand up...

That one was hilarious. It still makes me laugh to this day. "Stand up, Chuck!" LOL! :D

Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
March 9th, 2014 at 7:28:15 AM permalink
Next election will play a vital role in the future of this country. Another failure and it will be labeled a "fun land". Nobody will take it seriously.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 9th, 2014 at 8:49:06 AM permalink

It would be awful if the people understood the true meaning of "Liberal"...they'd never elect someone like the current occupant of the White House.

I disagree. If people knew the true meaning of "Liberal", then Conservatives would never get elected to dog catcher.
RonC
RonC
March 9th, 2014 at 9:04:28 AM permalink

I disagree. If people knew the true meaning of "Liberal", then Conservatives would never get elected to dog catcher.

I know we will never agree and you did decide to insult "Conservatives" first this time around but you and I both know there is nowhere good to go by simply insulting the other side. I don't think "Liberals" are evil, but I do disagree with them on many issues.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
March 9th, 2014 at 10:04:42 AM permalink
Cpac is irrelevant and has been since the days of Reagan. They represent the fringe element of the far, far right, made up mostly of older white males, who become more of a minority each growing day. They are a minority of the minority, and shrinking. I say that based not on my political views, which lean the other way, but based on the demographics of the population of this country.

Not only has Cpac become irrelevant in terms of picking the leadership of this country, but they are having less and less influence on their OWN party. Case in point: yesterday's straw poll. 2 years out from a presidential election, the straw poll favorite is Rand Paul. let's look at past winner 2 years out from a presidential election.

2010 - Ron Paul.
2006 - George Allen
2002 - No poll (sitting repub president running for re-election)
1998 - Steve Forbes
1994 - Jack Kemp
1986 - Jack Kemp
1982 - No poll (sitting repub president running for re-election)
Prior to 1980 they only gathered during election year only.

Look at this list. 2 years out from a presidential election, not only have thy never selected a presidential election winner, but they have NEVER even selected the person who would be the candidate of their own party. And non of these men were even remotely close to winning their parties nomination.

I am not going to use the word 'joke' out of respect for my repub friends here, but Cpac is clearly irrelevant and you might even argue that winning the straw poll, 2 years out is the worse thing that could happen to a conservative's career. lol
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 9th, 2014 at 10:25:15 AM permalink
As heartening as it may be that the GOP keeps doing all it can to lose elections, one must keep in mind this means the Democrats will win such elections. It's like being told one's broken right leg is healed, only have one's left leg broken at the same time.

BTW, in Mexico we have the same problme, only with three parties.

And it sucks to see the problem so clearly without any evident kind of solution that even approaches impracticality.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 9th, 2014 at 10:32:21 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Case in point: yesterday's straw poll. 2 years out from a presidential election, the straw poll favorite is Rand Paul.

Your other very good points aside, any poll conducted two years before an election has a predictive strength of zero. Even the prevailing conventional wisdom is largely worthless.

In 1991 Bush the Elder was on track for an easy re-election, while the Democrats looked to have found a permanent home out of power. Even publications sympathetic tot he Democratic party expected this (which BTW was a less polarized time). The Democratic party heavy-weights did not even show up for the electoral season. That's how come we wound up wth such an unlikely president as Bill Clinton, who BTW survived more, and worse, sex scandals than the one that sank Gary Heart just eight years before.

You may as well pick a random name out of the local phonebook and declare them a winner of the straw poll. Your chances of picking the next president wouldn't be any worse.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: