Thread Rating:

ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 999
Joined: Aug 5, 2013
August 13th, 2014 at 10:16:10 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I have said this before, dealers don't tip much when they play. We need to follow to dealers lead.



no, you just need to govern yourself.
get second you pig
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
August 13th, 2014 at 10:20:35 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

The way it's laid, it's $1+$22, or 4.5% for the dealer, not 15%.



As I said, I don't really understand what you are talking about in your post. Isn't the $2 cap bet for the dealer too? Don't you let it ride until it loses and give all the winnings to the dealer?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 13th, 2014 at 10:20:58 PM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

no, you just need to govern yourself.

No, I need to follow by example in this situation.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
August 13th, 2014 at 10:22:40 PM permalink
Of all the dealers I've talked to, they always make it seem like they're "martyrs for tipping" when they go out and play. It's never about how much they won, but how much they "dropped for the crew". I don't know about Canada, or maybe it's just my limited circle, but from what I've seen, dealers (when playing) don't tend to stiff when toking.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 13th, 2014 at 10:28:31 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Of all the dealers I've talked to, they always make it seem like they're "martyrs for tipping" when they go out and play. It's never about how much they won, but how much they "dropped for the crew". I don't know about Canada, or maybe it's just my limited circle, but from what I've seen, dealers (when playing) don't tend to stiff when toking.

Shh! dont spread that around, we had an end to this argument
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2001
Joined: Mar 28, 2010
August 13th, 2014 at 10:44:25 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I have said this before, dealers don't tip much when they play. We need to follow to dealers lead.



Idk much about table games but poker dealers tend to tip other poker dealers $3/pot they win especially if they're playing in the same room that they work.
Deucekies
Deucekies
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1457
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
August 14th, 2014 at 12:11:09 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

As I said, I don't really understand what you are talking about in your post. Isn't the $2 cap bet for the dealer too? Don't you let it ride until it loses and give all the winnings to the dealer?


If I read right, the $2 cap replenishes the money put up for the toke, and funds the next toke.

Ex: $22 + $1 toke. Win. Dealer gets $2. Player wins $22-$1 toke = $21. $1 goes up next hand, and he made his $20.
Casinos are not your friends, they want your money. But so does Disneyland. And there is no chance in hell that you will go to Disneyland and come back with more money than you went with. - AxelWolf and Mickeycrimm
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29023
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
August 14th, 2014 at 12:35:34 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

this is right on the money.



In the bar I averaged $300 a month in tips.
That's not shit now, but in 1980 it was the
entire months rent on the house I was leasing.
And it always averaged out to $300, year
after year.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5686
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
August 14th, 2014 at 4:55:38 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

As I said, I don't really understand what you are talking about in your post. Isn't the $2 cap bet for the dealer too? Don't you let it ride until it loses and give all the winnings to the dealer?



No, the cap bet is not all for the dealer. $1 of the win goes for the next dealer toke bet, the other $1 (and the other payout) goes back into my pile of chips.

I don't understand how often you tip the dealer.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
August 14th, 2014 at 5:24:28 AM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Idk much about table games but poker dealers tend to tip other poker dealers $3/pot they win especially if they're playing in the same room that they work.



I agree with this. The most generous tippers I've seen at the poker tables have claimed that they were "off duty" poker dealers.

Although, I have only seen a few of these. For all I know, they could be in the minority, and the majority of stiffs are dealers who just keep their mouths shut about their occupation!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 624
Joined: Aug 28, 2013
August 14th, 2014 at 6:09:40 AM permalink
Try to beat game like this, facing off duty dealers. With some practice you can handle any card you like.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
August 14th, 2014 at 10:45:22 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

No, the cap bet is not all for the dealer. $1 of the win goes for the next dealer toke bet, the other $1 (and the other payout) goes back into my pile of chips.

I don't understand how often you tip the dealer.



Sometimes I slide the dealer some chips when I leave. Sometimes not. I never place bets for the dealer.

The term "cap" was confusing because many players "cap" their bets for the dealers as a tip. That way, the bet stays out there if the hand wins, so it looks like you are tipping more often. You still get a "thanks for the try" if the bet loses. Just make it obvious to the dealer that the extra chip is for them (usually obvious because of the denoms) If it wins once they don't really notice that they are only dropping one chip instead of two. If it wins multiple times it still only cost you a chip but it seems like you are tipping more.

It still looks cheap if you don't double it for them as well, and you have to split it for them if you are splitting. However, if it wins, you get that money back (unlike with a doubled/split toke bet, where that money is gone no matter what)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5686
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
August 14th, 2014 at 11:52:20 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

The term "cap" was confusing because many players "cap" their bets for the dealers as a tip. That way, the bet stays out there if the hand wins, so it looks like you are tipping more often.



I am not a fan of coattails. It never seems to work out well. Just sliding the money to the dealer seems to go better.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12045
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
August 14th, 2014 at 12:40:21 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

The most generous tippers I've seen at the poker tables have claimed that they were "off duty" poker dealers.



In my experiences living in Las Vegas tip earners are by far and away bigger tippers than non-tip earners. Having been involved in the tavern industry the last eight years, I would say it is rare for me to see a bartender leave less than a $10 tip to another bartender even if they only order one or two drinks.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 15th, 2014 at 10:24:43 AM permalink
Room service charging $19 for a club sandwich, fine, we all know RS is over priced. But then a $5 delivery fee? then a $5 tip. $29 for a club ($19 is comped) but for the average person paying $29 for a club sandwich is ridiculous.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 997
Joined: Nov 1, 2009
August 15th, 2014 at 10:35:21 AM permalink
Outstanding, Axel!

Just happened to catch this latest: "♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪"

I'm a little slow on the uptake lately :-(
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
August 15th, 2014 at 10:55:32 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Room service charging $19 for a club sandwich, fine, we all know RS is over priced. But then a $5 delivery fee? then a $5 tip. $29 for a club ($19 is comped) but for the average person paying $29 for a club sandwich is ridiculous.



Don't order the pizza & beer room service at The Cosmopolitan, then.



Although, I did watch an episode on the travel channel. I think it was Marriott, but don't remember specifically, showing how they lose money on almost everything in their hotels, except alcohol. Even if the room service is "over priced", it doesn't necessarily mean they're making money on the transaction.
VegasGrinder
VegasGrinder
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 14, 2014
August 15th, 2014 at 6:46:50 PM permalink
Don't play table games then. I play poker for a living. I tip thousands a year. Of course it sucks. But That sht bag Adelson is only paying them min wage.

It's the Walmart/ rightwing way. Pay um sht and let them get gov "handouts"

Adelson says "pay um shit and let our sucker customers subsidize them"

That's why I don't play table games. And I can't quit poker because I don't want to be homeless.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
August 15th, 2014 at 6:59:13 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 15th, 2014 at 7:07:54 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

That's why he's a billionaire and we're not.

+1 billion
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
August 15th, 2014 at 7:26:22 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Room service charging $19 for a club sandwich, fine, we all know RS is over priced. But then a $5 delivery fee? then a $5 tip. $29 for a club ($19 is comped) but for the average person paying $29 for a club sandwich is ridiculous.


Why order room service to begin with? You are often over paying by a lot (double or even triple sometimes) for something that is better and far cheaper at any nearby restaruant. Just walk or drive to a nearby place to eat cheaper (and better) or if you really don't want to leave the casino just order delivery from a reasonable restaruant, even with a generous tip it is a fraction of the cost of room service.

Casinos it can be different, and it can be worth ordering room service and charging it to your room if you know or suspect that they will waive your fees when you check out. But at any regular hotel it is absurd.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 15th, 2014 at 7:36:19 PM permalink
$19 is comped
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
  • Posts: 1797
Joined: Jan 27, 2014
August 15th, 2014 at 7:40:46 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

$19 is comped


Why not just comp the tip and delivery fee as well?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
August 15th, 2014 at 7:45:31 PM permalink
In my experience, tips and fees are always tracked separately and paid for in real money (check, cash, chips). I never even bother putting tips on a chit; I always leave cash or chips. The servers appreciate that as well as the hosts.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
  • Posts: 22296
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 15th, 2014 at 7:59:59 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

Why not just comp the tip and delivery fee as well?

Ask them that. I'm all for it
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 365
Joined: Jun 4, 2013
August 18th, 2014 at 5:42:26 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Of all the dealers I've talked to, they always make it seem like they're "martyrs for tipping" when they go out and play. It's never about how much they won, but how much they "dropped for the crew". I don't know about Canada, or maybe it's just my limited circle, but from what I've seen, dealers (when playing) don't tend to stiff when toking.



I rarely gamble, but when I do, I try to include the dealers. It's usually for small amounts since I am a small-time player (i.e. $5 EZ Pai Gow generates $1 a hand about 50-60% of the time for the dealer) but it's definitely related to the fact that I am a dealer myself. That said, dealers are not the only people I try to tip well - I always take care of waiters and bartenders, and I try my best to do the same for valets. I tell my wife I don't want people to remember me as a bad tipper.

That said, when I play, it's win first, tip second. If I bet the Don't Pass, for example, and throw a hardway for myself as insurance and take the dealers with me, I'm still happier with a seven out.
richbailey86
richbailey86
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 325
Joined: May 8, 2014
August 18th, 2014 at 5:48:24 PM permalink
your in a casino. gambling money you can obviously afford to lose. shutup and give the dealer 5 bucks you cheap son of a gun
An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government. – Ron Paul
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
August 18th, 2014 at 5:48:41 PM permalink
Quote: hwccdealer

I rarely gamble, but when I do, I try to include the dealers. It's usually for small amounts since I am a small-time player (i.e. $5 EZ Pai Gow generates $1 a hand about 50-60% of the time for the dealer)



$1/hand 50 to 60% of the time is not a small amount. PGP is a slow game, but you still get, what, 30-40 hands per hour? If everyone did that dealers would make $100/hr.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6399
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
August 18th, 2014 at 6:05:07 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

$1/hand 50 to 60% of the time is not a small amount. PGP is a slow game, but you still get, what, 30-40 hands per hour? If everyone did that dealers would make $100/hr.


Where is 5 Ez pgp? is it all the time or just when they are slow?
You are very good tipper.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 290
Joined: Jan 4, 2012
August 18th, 2014 at 6:05:34 PM permalink
Quote: VegasGrinder

Don't play table games then. I play poker for a living. I tip thousands a year. Of course it sucks. But That sht bag Adelson is only paying them min wage.

It's the Walmart/ rightwing way. Pay um sht and let them get gov "handouts"

Adelson says "pay um shit and let our sucker customers subsidize them"

That's why I don't play table games. And I can't quit poker because I don't want to be homeless.



Ref gov handouts: One time, when I moonlighted at a restaurant and the wait staff was shorthanded, we asked for volunteers to work overtime.... To my surprise almost all of them said they would love to work the extra hours, but if they did then their assistance from social services would be cut. I learned right then and there that something was wrong with our welfare system.
richbailey86
richbailey86
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 325
Joined: May 8, 2014
August 18th, 2014 at 6:08:54 PM permalink
when I was in AC using $5 chips on the inside and my numbers kept hitting i must have tipped 40 bucks
An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government. – Ron Paul
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2549
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
August 18th, 2014 at 10:09:28 PM permalink
The convoluted reasoning people invent to justify being crooks is always fascinating.

This isn't a complicated issue.

In the United States, certain service people are paid directly by customers rather than employers. This is so you can pay more if they do a great job and less if they do a crappy job.

If you take the service and then refuse to pay for it, you are dishonest and one step from being a thief. Period. I think "cheat" is the most accurate term. You've cheated someone out of pay for the work they did for you.

Legality has nothing to do with it. You hire someone, say a neighbor kid, to do work (babysitting, yard work) and promise to pay them for it without specifying the amount. They do a decent job and you give them a dime. Can they call the cops? No. Have you cheated them? Yes. This is exactly what non-tippers are doing.

You can invent all sorts of reasons to justify your cheating, just as all cheats do, from tax cheats to welfare cheats to Wall Street cheats. "Oh, I don't like the system, so it shouldn't apply to me, blahblahblah boohoohoo." You're still a cheat.

Moreover, it's a good system for the U.S. where workers are generally not well paid and have few rights. It allows medium skill workers like waiters, dealers, hairdressers, etc. to make a middle class living. If it were left to the casinos to fund labor, they would charge you as much as possible in place of tips and pass on as little as possible to workers. Why would anyone prefer such a system? I doubt that they really would. Saying so is just an excuse to justify their cheating.

If you are legit pro or semi-pro, it's especially disgusting. You've figured out how to coast through life as a social parasite, playing freaking games for a living and you refuse to pay the workers who make that incredible good fortune possible. It's like an NBA player lifting notes from the wallet of the guy who washes his towels.
bdc42
bdc42
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 67
Joined: Nov 4, 2009
August 18th, 2014 at 10:20:11 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I do not tip dealers. If I tipped the way some here suggest, I'd be tipping over $5000 a year and I've been playing blackjack for a lot of years. I have tipped in the past for various reasons but the dealer deserving it was never one of them.



someone else may have said this, but you are tipping, not because "you should " but for the service they are providing. a smile pleasant conversation....if you are playing 5-20 a hand wagers and cant tip $5 for a half hour I think you should consider just how cheap you are and yes you are cheap. you people are the ones who go to a nice 4 stare restaurant get the best treatment possible and drop a 5% tip....its crazy. if you cant afford subsidizing a dealer, why not just stay home with your money cheap skates..... that way you don't have to tip. that being said if the service was unprofessional or just not good , then stiff them.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
August 18th, 2014 at 10:25:13 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux


If you are legit pro or semi-pro, it's especially disgusting. You've figured out how to coast through life as a social parasite, playing freaking games for a living and you refuse to pay the workers who make that incredible good fortune possible. It's like an NBA player lifting notes from the wallet of the guy who washes his towels.



Being a social parasite is expensive.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 1884
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
August 18th, 2014 at 10:27:15 PM permalink
I can easily justify not tipping. Excluding poker BJ is the only game I play and every time I play the dealer offers me unsolicited bad advice. And that my friends is more than bad service.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2549
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
August 18th, 2014 at 11:21:12 PM permalink
Being a social parasite is great. I should know, as I am one. I used to sleep and wake and dress and speak according to the needs of my employer so I know what it's like. And even then, though I didn't have very good jobs, I was still better off than most people. I try to remind myself every day of how unbelievably fortunate I am to make a middle class living fiddling with cards while ogling cocktail waitresses and being marginally better at predicting outcomes of certain sporting events than most people. It's preposterous that this is even possible. It would be a waste not to really drink it in and enjoy it.

For someone with similar good fortune to resent the working stiffs who make it possible, and to decide to screw them over, they must be pretty rotten. Either twisted with anger and resentment, or governed by total selfishness. It's a real shame that such good luck could fall to such bad people, but it often does.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 5339
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
August 19th, 2014 at 6:58:10 AM permalink
Quote: bdc42

someone else may have said this, but you are tipping, not because "you should " but for the service they are providing. a smile pleasant conversation....if you are playing 5-20 a hand wagers and cant tip $5 for a half hour I think you should consider just how cheap you are and yes you are cheap. you people are the ones who go to a nice 4 stare restaurant get the best treatment possible and drop a 5% tip....its crazy. if you cant afford subsidizing a dealer, why not just stay home with your money cheap skates..... that way you don't have to tip. that being said if the service was unprofessional or just not good , then stiff them.



Thanks for quoting a post of mine from over two years ago and thanks for calling me cheap and cheap skates without knowing anything about me. I can see that you are very passionate when it comes to telling others how to spend their money.

I do not tip blackjack dealers and you calling me names and insulting me is not going to change that. I tip everyone else including casino workers. I tip and give away more money than probably most on this forum. I was going to say that I tip more than you but then I would be judging and, unlike you, I would never judge another person without knowing the facts.

There are dealers I would tip if tips weren't split. The wife of one is a waitress and, in appreciation of him, I tip her whether I order or not. I'm usually not at the table that long but I see to it that she gets something. Several years ago, a dealer in my area lost everything in a fire just before Christmas and I put him and his family up in one of my units until he got back on his feet and I never took a dime. It was the only way his kids could remain in the school they loved so much. That was payment enough for me. That "tip" cost me because I disqualified myself from playing with him.

If you are a dealer you don't have to smile at me, converse with me or otherwise entertain me. Just do your job and deal the cards. As long as there is one bad apple in the dealer pool you get nothing from me. I suggest that dealers start policing themselves.

Moderators, I know I don't have a say in the matter but please don't suspend this member for the insults hurled at me. Thanks.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 997
Joined: Nov 1, 2009
August 19th, 2014 at 7:27:21 AM permalink
Quote: 1BBT


Moderators, I know I don't have a say in the matter but please don't suspend this member for the insults hurled at me. Thanks.

Classy. I hope they honor your request.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
August 19th, 2014 at 10:49:08 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

...



This is pretty much the same argument that PGD uses to claim that APs are cheats. I don't buy it when he says it either.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 129
  • Posts: 3917
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
August 19th, 2014 at 11:16:40 AM permalink
Another reason it's stupid is because there's no accepted standard. $5 every half hour or I'm cheap???? At a full table, a dealer should be making $65 an hour?!?!?! Opinions like that are why the casinos should just pay their employees what they are worth.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12045
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
August 19th, 2014 at 11:27:28 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Another reason it's stupid is because there's no accepted standard. $5 every half hour or I'm cheap???? At a full table, a dealer should be making $65 an hour?!?!?! Opinions like that are why the casinos should just pay their employees what they are worth.



I bet the dealers at the Wynn make close to that.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
August 19th, 2014 at 12:31:03 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Another reason it's stupid is because there's no accepted standard. $5 every half hour or I'm cheap???? At a full table, a dealer should be making $65 an hour?!?!?! Opinions like that are why the casinos should just pay their employees what they are worth.



If someone's tipping $5 they are subsidizing my non tipping so good for them
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
August 19th, 2014 at 12:47:52 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Another reason it's stupid is because there's no accepted standard. $5 every half hour or I'm cheap???? At a full table, a dealer should be making $65 an hour?!?!?! Opinions like that are why the casinos should just pay their employees what they are worth.



Yes, exactly, this.

I think that a dealer should be happy to make $20/hr in tips. That means that each player should tip about $3 per hour. $20/hr + min wage seems like a more than reasonable wage for a low-skill job.

Moreover, anyone who does not feel that they are being fairly compensated for the work that they do is free to find a different job. If no one is willing to pay them more, then, guess what -- they are not being underpaid. Your time (or anything else, for that matter) is worth exactly what the highest bidder is willing to pay for it, and not a cent more.
Deucekies
Deucekies
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1457
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
August 19th, 2014 at 1:00:17 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I think that a dealer should be happy to make $20/hr in tips. That means that each player should tip about $3 per hour. $20/hr + min wage seems like a more than reasonable wage for a low-skill job.


Agreed that $20/hr + wage is a great wage. And $3/hr from every player would get you there if two things were true: 1) Every table was full, and 2) Every player tipped.

If people want to have the standard of $5 per half hour, and can afford to do so given their level of play, there's nothing wrong with that. It makes up for those who choose not to tip.
Casinos are not your friends, they want your money. But so does Disneyland. And there is no chance in hell that you will go to Disneyland and come back with more money than you went with. - AxelWolf and Mickeycrimm
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
August 19th, 2014 at 1:36:12 PM permalink
Quote: elvis

. . .and the dealer and I clapped for him and gave him a round of congratulations.




This made me laugh out loud…and think of those silly birthday celebrations they do at cheesy restaurants where the wait staff comes around and claps and sings
LOL
Thank I needed that laugh after the day I've been having
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
  • Posts: 6506
Joined: Apr 4, 2012
August 19th, 2014 at 1:39:05 PM permalink
Quote: elvis

trying to steal from the casino as an advantage player.




This three just keeps giving and giving the LULZ
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 5761
Joined: Sep 12, 2012
August 19th, 2014 at 1:52:26 PM permalink
Quote: Deucekies

Agreed that $20/hr + wage is a great wage. And $3/hr from every player would get you there if two things were true: 1) Every table was full, and 2) Every player tipped.

If people want to have the standard of $5 per half hour, and can afford to do so given their level of play, there's nothing wrong with that. It makes up for those who choose not to tip.



I am certainly not saying that people should tip less. That's silly. I'm saying that people should tip whatever they want, and should not be made to feel guilty because it does not live up to someone else's standards.

As long as there are a stream of people willing to do the job for the amount that it pays (including tips) the pay is not too low. When no one is willing to work for that price, then something will change.
Deucekies
Deucekies
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1457
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
August 19th, 2014 at 2:07:54 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

I am certainly not saying that people should tip less. That's silly. I'm saying that people should tip whatever they want, and should not be made to feel guilty because it does not live up to someone else's standards.

As long as there are a stream of people willing to do the job for the amount that it pays (including tips) the pay is not too low. When no one is willing to work for that price, then something will change.


Agreed. Thus far, the ends have justified the means.
Casinos are not your friends, they want your money. But so does Disneyland. And there is no chance in hell that you will go to Disneyland and come back with more money than you went with. - AxelWolf and Mickeycrimm
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 644
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
August 19th, 2014 at 3:06:07 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

$20/hr + min wage seems like a more than reasonable wage for a low-skill job.



I have a job with a skill set and I don't make $27 an hour. I surely will not subsidize them to make more than me.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
August 19th, 2014 at 4:55:37 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

This begs the question - how much, and how often? What constitutes an "adequate" tip vs a "generous" tip?
How do we keep the dealer's children fed without reducing our edge too much?

Oh heck, if you go to a dinner party you sometimes bring the hostess a bowl of salad or a bottle of wine. Its no big deal. It doesn't burden your tortured soul with wonder. If you are at a party and someone tells a joke, its polite to laugh even if you've heard it before or its not all that much of a thigh slapper.

If you really want to be a sour puss at some festive occasion no one is going to shoot you for it.

Its Vegas. Its a different world. You can cruise the Strip with booze in your hand. If you are on a roll you can place a bet for the lady in blue even if she is someone's wife. If a cheer goes up as you roll the fourth 10 you can take a few bows and promise to do it again. You don't have to stand there and tell everyone to shut up and remind them that the results are random.

If its really too much for you to be sociable, why don't you do your gambling at home. You shouldn't really worry about his bratty kid's shoes. Just be happy and festive ... or don't come to the party. The guy lugging your suitcase out the door gets a tip and no one, absolutely no one should be able to tell whether you won big or lost big or broke even from the expression on your face or the sound of your voice.
  • Jump to: