Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 7th, 2023 at 8:57:09 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

I am the ultimate AP for groceries and sundries. As a 20 year volunteer for a large food bank, I get all the stuff I need from damaged staples, meat, seafood, dairy, bakery, and just about anything one might purchase from large supermarkets, Target, Walmart, etc. My MONTHLY expenditures for the above might total $20.00, yes, I said $20 bucks.

tuttigym
link to original post

We stopped donating our leftovers to a local food bank because the " volunteers" consistently picked over the donations. I believe in giving to the less fortunate but I've no desire to feed the vultures who literally take the food out of their mouths.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
odiousgambit
July 7th, 2023 at 10:09:31 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I am the ultimate AP for groceries and sundries. As a 20 year volunteer for a large food bank, I get all the stuff I need from damaged staples, meat, seafood, dairy, bakery, and just about anything one might purchase from large supermarkets, Target, Walmart, etc. My MONTHLY expenditures for the above might total $20.00, yes, I said $20 bucks.

tuttigym
link to original post

We stopped donating our leftovers to a local food bank because the " volunteers" consistently picked over the donations. I believe in giving to the less fortunate but I've no desire to feed the vultures who literally take the food out of their mouths.
link to original post

It's the same way with all the donation places. I knew somebody who worked for Goodwill and they get first crack at all the good stuff that comes in, we never see it. I know a guy that kept his booth at an antique mall stocked while working for Goodwill.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 8th, 2023 at 9:28:43 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

Wow donating food "leftovers" such charity. Did the "leftovers" come with insects and dirty utensils too? Do you donate your used underwear complete with skidmarks and other fluids? I am sure your donations have been deeply missed.

BTW the food bank feeds over 150,000 families a year.

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 8th, 2023 at 9:37:08 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

It's the same way with all the donation places. I knew somebody who worked for Goodwill and they get first crack at all the good stuff that comes in, we never see it. I know a guy that kept his booth at an antique mall stocked while working for Goodwill.
link to original post

So, you "knew" two people that may have pilfered Goodwill (stole/robbed), and because you are such an upstanding individual you did not report those "thefts" to the proper authorities? And based on this post, you believe that all the workers/volunteers are thieves? I guess you must believe that if there is one bad cop all cops are bad. Posting such bigotry gives the rest of us great insight into your character.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
July 8th, 2023 at 10:35:19 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

So, you "knew" two people that may have pilfered Goodwill (stole/robbed), and because you are such an upstanding individual you did not report those "thefts" to the proper authorities? And based on this post, you believe that all the workers/volunteers are thieves? I guess you must believe that if there is one bad cop all cops are bad. Posting such bigotry gives the rest of us great insight into your character.

tuttigym
link to original post

You brag about only having to spend $20 a month on groceries because you take so much from the food bank you "volunteer "at.

I used to run a Sunday night boat ride around Southern Manattan for up to 200 people, and we donated the leftovers to a food bank that would send a van for it. After we stopped, I got several calls from the directors
It's rather strange that you would denigrate anyone for donating anything for the hungry, and then try to talk character. It reminds me of a discussion Winston Churchill supposedly had with a young lady one night.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 8th, 2023 at 10:59:13 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

You brag about only having to spend $20 a month on groceries because you take so much from the food bank you "volunteer "at.

I used to run a Sunday night boat ride around Southern Manattan for up to 200 people, and we donated the leftovers to a food bank that would send a van for it. After we stopped, I got several calls from the directors
It's rather strange that you would denigrate anyone for donating anything for the hungry, and then try to talk character. It reminds me of a discussion Winston Churchill supposedly had with a young lady one night.
link to original post

You know your reading comprehension needs to be worked on. I stated that the groceries and such were damaged thus could not be given away. They were stale dated, opened or crushed packaging, torn plastic packaged meats and produce and bakery goods. Your "donated leftovers" could have been contaminated, over or under cooked and probably broke NY's health code. Nice try patting yourself on the back. I hope nothing was dislocated.

Volunteer in quotes? What is that suppose to mean?

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 8th, 2023 at 11:17:30 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

That number is usually misleading because it does not represent unique families. It represents the same families being fed over and over and over and over and over and over during the year. They just add all those together and say they fed 150,000 families. Most charities do this they get real creative with the numbers to make it look like a bigger deal than it is.
billryan
billryan
July 8th, 2023 at 11:23:48 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

That number is usually misleading because it does not represent unique families. It represents the same families being fed over and over and over and over and over and over during the year. They just add all those together and say they fed 150,000 families. Most charities do this they get real creative with the numbers to make it look like a bigger deal than it is.
link to original post

Feeding one family is a big deal.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 8th, 2023 at 11:43:29 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

Actually, that number is pretty accurate as we have recipients check in with a computer receptionist. The same folks cannot get food daily other than bread. It is not like the lines of cars and people as shown on TV. We have a process for distribution which includes ID's so that there are limitations to how often they can receive their specific allotment.

What is "most charities"? You seem to paint your ideas with a broad brush. Be specific and create some credibility.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
July 8th, 2023 at 11:51:34 AM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

Actually, that number is pretty accurate as we have recipients check in with a computer receptionist. The same folks cannot get food daily other than bread. It is not like the lines of cars and people as shown on TV. We have a process for distribution which includes ID's so that there are limitations to how often they can receive their specific allotment.

What is "most charities"? You seem to paint your ideas with a broad brush. Be specific and create some credibility.

tuttigym
link to original post

Oh, the irony.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 8th, 2023 at 12:50:43 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

Feeding one family is a big deal.
link to original post

wow you missed the point entirely. Not an easy feat..
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 8th, 2023 at 12:53:34 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

It's still not 150,000 unique families I don't care how you slice it. There are repeaters and they're counted over and over I would be shocked if it was over 30,000 unique families. All charities work that way with the numbers, expand them whenever possible to make it look like they're doing more than they are.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 8th, 2023 at 9:15:38 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

It's still not 150,000 unique families I don't care how you slice it. There are repeaters and they're counted over and over I would be shocked if it was over 30,000 unique families. All charities work that way with the numbers, expand them whenever possible to make it look like they're doing more than they are.
link to original post

The "point" that you seem to be missing is that regardless of the numbers, families have to eat every day. We serve at least four counties in our area, but for your edification, I will check our computer base and produce the raw numbers. Your convoluted view of charitable work is disturbing and troubled. That is saddening.

tuttigym
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
July 9th, 2023 at 7:42:39 AM permalink

I know a guy that kept his booth at an antique mall stocked while working for Goodwill.
link to original post

thats an ap move
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 9th, 2023 at 8:04:05 AM permalink

Your convoluted view of charitable work is disturbing and troubled. That is saddening.

tuttigym
link to original post

Not nearly as saddening as your pie in the sky everything's coming up roses wow ain't we wonderful and no charity is corrupt attitude. All charities are corrupt you just have to know where to look. For every family they feed what else are they feeding that we don't know about.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
100xOddsdarkozJohnzimboUP84
July 9th, 2023 at 12:03:29 PM permalink

All charities are corrupt you just have to know where to look. For every family they feed what else are they feeding THAT WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT.

if you don't know about it - how would you know they're corrupt___________?

you'd make a great Criminal Courts Judge

guilty until proven innocent when Judge EB is on the bench

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 9, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 9th, 2023 at 3:45:55 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

All charities are corrupt you just have to know where to look. For every family they feed what else are they feeding THAT WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT.

if you don't know about it - how would you know they're corrupt___________?

link to original post

Because they're all corrupt, it's just a matter of degrees. Somebody in every charitable organization is skimming something because the temptation is just too great.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 10th, 2023 at 10:03:38 AM permalink

Your convoluted view of charitable work is disturbing and troubled. That is saddening.

tuttigym
link to original post

Not nearly as saddening as your pie in the sky everything's coming up roses wow ain't we wonderful and no charity is corrupt attitude. All charities are corrupt you just have to know where to look. For every family they feed what else are they feeding that we don't know about.
link to original post

Observations based on this post:
1. EB does NOT give or participate in ANY charitable endeavors. EB's favorite charity is EB.
2. EB lies by interpreting concepts in posts that are not articulated: "ain't we wonderful and no charity is corrupt attitude," and "your pie in the sky everything's coming up roses" BTW EB needs to go back to third grade English classes and learn about proper punctuation.
3. EB is a charity BIGOT. "For every family they feed what else are they feeding that we don't know about."
4. I am confident that EB believes that government is corrupt in all or most phases, yet he pays taxes. Why would he participate in the promotion of such corruption? I guess turning a blind eye is okay in his book.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
July 10th, 2023 at 10:34:45 AM permalink
Kool.
Another geriatric catfight. Just what the forum needs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2023 at 11:05:26 AM permalink

1. EB does NOT give or participate in ANY charitable endeavors.

tuttigym
link to original post

Wrong, and I have stated many times that I have charities that I give to. Please turn out to speak of things you know nothing about. The charities I get to are also corrupt but less so than most others.
billryan
billryan
July 10th, 2023 at 11:33:19 AM permalink
Calling a member a charity BIGOT should not be allowed.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 10th, 2023 at 12:20:30 PM permalink

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

1. EB does NOT give or participate in ANY charitable endeavors. EB's favorite charity is EB.
2. EB lies by interpreting concepts in posts that are not articulated: "ain't we wonderful and no charity is corrupt attitude," and "your pie in the sky everything's coming up roses" BTW EB needs to go back to third grade English classes and learn about proper punctuation.
3. EB is a charity BIGOT. "For every family they feed what else are they feeding that we don't know about."
4. I am confident that EB believes that government is corrupt in all or most phases, yet he pays taxes. Why would he participate in the promotion of such corruption? I guess turning a blind eye is okay in his book.

tuttigym
link to original post

Warning: Attack the post, not the poster.

Forum rules may be found here.

There have been a few barbs traded back and forth in thread; hopefully everyone involved can take the hint, not just Mr. tuttigym.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
100xOdds
July 10th, 2023 at 12:51:11 PM permalink

The charities I get to are also corrupt but less so than most others.

I am trying to imagine the tremendous amount of work that you must have done - re in-depth financial analysis - long, long hours pouring over financial documents - to be able to make a determination such as that
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 10th, 2023 at 1:20:06 PM permalink

I am trying to imagine the tremendous amount of work that you must have done - re in-depth financial analysis - long, long hours pouring over financial documents - to be able to make a determination such as that
link to original post

The United Way pays its CEO around $1.5 million a year. I found that easily. I wouldn’t say that’s ‘corrupt’, but for a charity I find it repulsive. I understand you won’t find a CEO for $20 an hour, but no need to even approach 7 figures.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
July 10th, 2023 at 1:42:29 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

The United Way pays its CEO around $1.5 million a year. I found that easily. I wouldn’t say that’s ‘corrupt’, but for a charity I find it repulsive. I understand you won’t find a CEO for $20 an hour, but no need to even approach 7 figures.
link to original post

Charities must disclose how much goes to actual helping vs "administrative costs" there are lists.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
July 10th, 2023 at 2:02:06 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

Charities must disclose how much goes to actual helping vs "administrative costs" there are lists.
link to original post

i use this charity watchdog:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/discover-charities/best-charities/highly-rated-charities/

edit:
How did we veer so off topic in this thread?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 10th, 2023 at 2:11:38 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

Warning: Attack the post, not the poster.

Forum rules may be found here.

There have been a few barbs traded back and forth in thread; hopefully everyone involved can take the hint, not just Mr. tuttigym.
link to original post

Thank you Dieter; I did that by using the quoted statements, but I shall dial it back. For some, me included, some of EB's posts belittle and can be interpreted as calling individuals liars. I will have none of that. I appreciate the warning.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 10th, 2023 at 2:20:46 PM permalink

a charity having high administrative costs does not in any way mean that they are likely to be corrupt
if the charity has to deal with the States or Federal Government it can take a tremendous amount of time and effort
for example - getting a homeless person an ID - establishing his identity - and getting him benefits he may be entitled to
it's not at all easy to accomplish this
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 10th, 2023 at 2:32:06 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

How did we veer so off topic in this thread?
link to original post

The simple answer is that some forum members will not take given posts at face value and interject their personal bias into the format which can quickly devolve into thread chaos.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
July 10th, 2023 at 3:19:50 PM permalink

link to original post

It's not hard to find the causes with the least overhead. There are multiple websites that examine all the major charities. There are different standards so you need to check a few and look for patterns. I don't understand why the heads of these organizations get what they get, but they are fighting the good fight.
Someone brought up a CEO making $1.5 million. To put it in perspective, that salary would put him at the low end of a professional athletic pay scale. He also is finally getting that after years of being paid far less.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
July 10th, 2023 at 3:56:01 PM permalink

a charity having high administrative costs does not in any way mean that they are likely to be corrupt
if the charity has to deal with the States or Federal Government it can take a tremendous amount of time and effort
for example - getting a homeless person an ID - establishing his identity - and getting him benefits he may be entitled to
link to original post

Sure but its one metric. Unfortunately the charity Industry has been gamed there are more bad than good.

Scroll down to table scraps look at those numbers.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-50-worst-charities-in-america-how-to-keep-from-being-scammed
billryan
billryan
July 10th, 2023 at 4:20:04 PM permalink

link to original post

Sure but its one metric. Unfortunately the charity Industry has been gamed there are more bad than good.

Scroll down to table scraps look at those numbers.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-50-worst-charities-in-america-how-to-keep-from-being-scammed
link to original post

This means you have to do your due diligence, like every other investment. There are great charities that are billion-dollar organizations and others that are literally hand to mouth. There are also bad charities that fit the same descriptions.
Find a few that generally support causes you like and then research them. It's not that hard.

EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2023 at 5:07:58 PM permalink

link to original post

It's called due diligence, try it sometime.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 10th, 2023 at 5:10:16 PM permalink

This means you have to do your due diligence, like every other investment.

link to original post

That's what I just said, you beat me to it. Due diligence is a lot of work and people are allergic to work.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 11th, 2023 at 8:04:43 AM permalink

link to original post

It's not hard to find the causes with the least overhead. There are multiple websites that examine all the major charities. There are different standards so you need to check a few and look for patterns. I don't understand why the heads of these organizations get what they get, but they are fighting the good fight.
Someone brought up a CEO making $1.5 million. To put it in perspective, that salary would put him at the low end of a professional athletic pay scale. He also is finally getting that after years of being paid far less.
link to original post

It is remarkable that some cannot think outside the box. For those concerned with "corruption" or overpaid charity workers how about you take those charitable $$$ go to your local hospital or clinic and pay someone's overcharged billing or RX, go to your local VA center and help out an indigent service member, visit your local senior center and pay for some meals, or get your nearest homeless encampment and provide some food or liquid (non-alcoholic) refreshment. That would be true due diligence.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2023 at 11:12:04 AM permalink
As an owner of a business, I can throw my leftover food in the dumpsters, where the hungry can get it.

OR

I can call my local food bank, where a "volunteer" will examine it, decide it isn't allowed to be given to the poor and hungry because of some foolish rule, and instead distributes it to the other "volunteers" who bray about not having to buy groceries as they get all they need from the food bank.

You have to love America, where "volunteers" make out so well. I suppose if we can eliminate hunger and homelessness, these "volunteers" might have to find jobs.

Perhaps the "volunteers" could invite some of the hungry to their homes where they can enjoy the foods that were intended for them in the first place.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 11th, 2023 at 11:26:45 AM permalink
They didn’t used to publish administrative overhead cost for charities. I think it’s good metric, and also an AP move to check, ‘cause otherwise you’re for sure throwing all your money to someone’s salary.

Also, don’t agree that a charity CEO deserves comparable pay as other high paid CEOs anymore than the base charity workers deserves highest pay rate for moving boxes or whatever they do.

You want comparable pay, work a for-profit business. Don’t work a charity for high pay, or I’ll think poorly of you. And you don’t want that. : )
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 11:29:55 AM permalink
…for instance, you really don’t want Doctors Without Borders working at the salary they’d normally get, so why should the CEO of the charity take a lot?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2023 at 11:52:07 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

…for instance, you really don’t want Doctors Without Borders working at the salary they’d normally get, so why should the CEO of the charity take a lot?
link to original post

How would you attract the talent needed to oversee the workings of a large organization? The Red Cross, for example, has about 20,000 paid staff and even more volunteers. The CEO is responsible for all of them and much much more.

Most of charity's I'm familiar with find the CEOs from qualified talent, not from within. You might get a CEO to jump from ATT to become Secretary. of State for a big pay cut, but candidates for CEO of the Red Cross are also candidates for other CEO jobs and deserve to be paid.
Just because an organization is a charity and does charitable work doesn't mean its employees don't deserve to be compensated according to their responsibilities.
I'd rather pay the workers well than have them wandering around with knives slashing packages so they can't be distributed to the needy, and the " volunteers" get to take the food home.
rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 12:06:19 PM permalink

link to original post

How would you attract the talent needed to oversee the workings of a large organization? The Red Cross, for example, has about 20,000 paid staff and even more volunteers. The CEO is responsible for all of them and much much more.

Most of charity's I'm familiar with find the CEOs from qualified talent, not from within. You might get a CEO to jump from ATT to become Secretary. of State for a big pay cut, but candidates for CEO of the Red Cross are also candidates for other CEO jobs and deserve to be paid.
Just because an organization is a charity and does charitable work doesn't mean its employees don't deserve to be compensated according to their responsibilities.
I'd rather pay the workers well than have them wandering around with knives slashing packages so they can't be distributed to the needy, and the " volunteers" get to take the food home.
link to original post

You’d expect someone to take it just like you’d expect some talented Neurosurgeon to volunteer in the third world country, Or anyone else of talent to work below their usual paid output.. You saying there’s nothing but talented a-holes in the CEO class?
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2023 at 12:20:26 PM permalink

link to original post

You are confusing volunteers for an organization with the employees. I used to volunteer coach at a Catholic High School. If I were asked to teach and coach full-time, I'd be an employee, not a volunteer.
The Doctors who volunteer need a professional infrastructure in place. Do you expect pilots to donate their services to flying doctors worldwide?
Charities are businesses with different products. I accept that and don't look at every imperfection. I've been getting involved with some micro-charities that are out of the box. One involves giving goats to Mexican girls for their 12th birthday. It sounded ridiculous when I first heard about it, but it was surprisingly well thought out.
rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 12:30:08 PM permalink

link to original post

You are confusing volunteers for an organization with the employees. I used to volunteer coach at a Catholic High School. If I were asked to teach and coach full-time, I'd be an employee, not a volunteer.
The Doctors who volunteer need a professional infrastructure in place. Do you expect pilots to donate their services to flying doctors worldwide?
Charities are businesses with different products. I accept that and don't look at every imperfection. I've been getting involved with some micro-charities that are out of the box. One involves giving goats to Mexican girls for their 12th birthday. It sounded ridiculous when I first heard about it, but it was surprisingly well thought out.
link to original post

Point taken. BUT
Quote:

Angel Flight was created by a group of pilots who believe in the benefit of volunteering. Angel Flight is financially supported by the pilots who fly the missions by donating the use of their airplanes and operating

rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 12:45:41 PM permalink
I guess my final point on that, is I don’t exclude anyone. Even CEOs. Who was the football player who dropped his NFL contract and got himself killed in Afghanistan volunteering himself into the military after 911. No one is above putting in some time as a professional in whatever they are.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
July 11th, 2023 at 12:48:00 PM permalink

link to original post

How would you attract the talent needed to oversee the workings of a large organization?

Large organizations. Perhaps that's the problem in the first place.

When I think of a truly charitable volunteer, it's someone who does it for no compensation, they just do it out of the goodness of their heart. In my opinion, volunteers(other than people with disabilities) shouldn't get paid to volunteer, or don't call it a volunteer. A nonprofit organization/charity shouldn't have any profit or pay volunteers.

Is that a good thing for the truly needy? Probably not initially, but perhaps the organizations would spend more time making sure the help went to the right people, solving the problems, and leading them to be more frugal. A better ecosystem with the needy helping the needy. A needy family or person getting paid to volunteer until they are on their feet, I can get on board with that.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2023 at 1:32:25 PM permalink
Are you suggesting a charity should have no paid employees? The Red Cross should rely on all volunteers? When there is a tornado in Arkansas, they should find volunteers to bring in all the needed equipment and let local volunteers organize and run the efforts.
Or that the bookkeepers and accountants should all be volunteers? Security guards? Custodians?

Should we get 100 CEOS to each volunteer as the Boss two days a year?

An organization can't exist without professional staff above the very local level. Most charities start out lean and mean but get fat over time, especially if no one is watching out. Many charities would have to close shop without professional fund-raisers, and these days you need to have a media response team and lawyers on speed dial. Moving blood and emergency equipment nationwide is not a task you can leave to part-time volunteers.
If you can't find a charity worthy of your support, start your own. That's what the goat guys are doing.
rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 1:40:02 PM permalink
You shouldn't be asking for a premium salary at a charitable organization. How's that? And it's a sad state of affairs if no one at that level would do it for less than a premium salary in any organization which depends on a lot of volunteers donating their own valuable time. I will send them a "note of shame'" if you point me to some.
billryan
billryan
July 11th, 2023 at 4:22:01 PM permalink

You shouldn't be asking for a premium salary at a charitable organization. How's that? And it's a sad state of affairs if no one at that level would do it for less than a premium salary in any organization which depends on a lot of volunteers donating their own valuable time. I will send them a "note of shame'" if you point me to some.
link to original post

How far down would you extend it? Should entry-level people work sub-minimum wage? Offering crap wages is a great way to build an efficient organization.
rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 5:00:04 PM permalink

link to original post

How far down would you extend it? Should entry-level people work sub-minimum wage? Offering crap wages is a great way to build an efficient organization.
link to original post

What's the purpose of a charity? To generate wealth for the workers? I think anyone should seek a different kind of for-profit job if that is your goal.

Anyway, If your salary is 10k a month and I reduce it 10% is way different than if your salary is 1k a month and I reduce it 10%. I look at effect more than anything else, But I'm against percentages of income once you get into lower wages just for that reason. This is a whole other subject though.

So, I might not even see reducing the wage of someone on the lower end. Anyway, if you're scraping by, you might need to consider being on receiving end of a charity.
rxwine
rxwine
July 11th, 2023 at 5:21:34 PM permalink
Can you run a successful charity with no one making a real salary? (some people will call it all a scam, but I tend to believe most probably do act in good faith (pun ))

Quote:

Unless they perform an additional job, such as working as a teacher or doctor, they do not collect a salary. Some nuns support their monasteries by selling products they have made, but in many cases, the daily needs of nuns, such as housing and food, are provided for by their religious community

And sure there are scammers. But that's true everywhere
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 11th, 2023 at 7:29:50 PM permalink

Can you run a successful charity with no one making a real salary? (some people will call it all a scam, but I tend to believe most probably do act in good faith (pun ))

Quote:

Unless they perform an additional job, such as working as a teacher or doctor, they do not collect a salary. Some nuns support their monasteries by selling products they have made, but in many cases, the daily needs of nuns, such as housing and food, are provided for by their religious community

And sure there are scammers. But that's true everywhere
link to original post

I think maybe, but you'd be relying heavily on being indirectly funded by sabbatical leave.
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: