Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
April 20th, 2021 at 3:56:29 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

The average mechanic check is really only going to tell you if there is something easy and inexpensive to fix, or if there is something noticeable wrong with the car and it's a DON'T BUY. Other than that, they are just making an educated guess on the things they can't see and check.

Bingo! That's pretty much what my mechanic said, he can find the obvious stuff, but on a car with that many miles there's way too much stuff that can't be checked, you just have to take a chance. Mechanics are not gods. These cars are so loaded with electrical components now that nobody can tell what's going to happen and when something's going to fail. You read enough reviews you learn that even the mechanics that work on these every day in the dealerships don't know what's going on a lot of the time. You bring your car in and they don't know how to fix it, much of the time they don't even know what's wrong with it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2021 at 4:03:18 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Your mechanic is wrong.

No he's not. Like a car salesman told me last week, they make high mileage cars now, if you get one with over 200,000 miles on it it's the guy who had it before you who took advantage of the high mileage part. You get to take advantage of the 'waiting for it to die part'. The oldest Chevy dealership in my city has been there since 1925 and they don't take any car in on trade that has over 200,000 miles on it. They said it's bad for business and bad for there reputation. They do not want constant calls from customers telling them the car they sold them 6 weeks ago died.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanks for this post from:
Hunterhill
April 20th, 2021 at 4:26:22 PM permalink
I think most dealers will take anything that runs as a trade they just won’t put it on the lot, they’ll just put the high mileage stuff straight into a wholesale auction.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
April 20th, 2021 at 4:59:36 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I think most dealers will take anything that runs as a trade they just won’t put it on the lot, they’ll just put the high mileage stuff straight into a wholesale auction.

Used cars have been selling so well for the last year there is an under supply available. They will probably start putting anything on the lot.

This is a great time to sell a used car as most dealerships are paying a premium because their supply is drying up. In the next year there will be an under supply of new cars too as the manufacturers can't get the semiconductors they need.
Order from chaos
daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
  • Threads: 0
April 20th, 2021 at 5:28:41 PM permalink
i just bought a NEW EDGE[ great vehicle] ] problem is it has 1600 miles on it when I bought it.. THEY SOLD IT as new.. When I bitc,,, about it they DIdn't seem to care... I didn't know dealerships could even do that...
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
April 20th, 2021 at 5:39:35 PM permalink
Quote: daveyandersen1

i just bought a NEW EDGE[ great vehicle] ] problem is it has 1600 miles on it when I bought it.. THEY SOLD IT as new.. When I bitc,,, about it they DIdn't seem to care... I didn't know dealerships could even do that...

If it hasn't been registered they can sell it as new. Many times they will give a new car as a loaner when someone is getting service done on their car. They also let the dealer drive them with dealer plates and still sell them as new. Hopefully you noticed the 1600 miles before buying it and negotiating the price. The car I bought on Friday had 6 miles on it.
Order from chaos
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 325
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
April 20th, 2021 at 6:04:23 PM permalink
Not to flog a deceased nag, but the idea that all high mileage cars should be avoided is too draconian.

Any competent mechanic should be able to examine a car, test drive it, run a couple tests and tell you pretty accurately whether it is a lemon or not.

Check the condition of all the fluids, belts and hoses as well as the interior and body as that indicates the type of care it received.

Test all the buttons / functions, the windows, sunroof etc. to make sure they all work.

Probably the best test is a compression test to verify the health of the engine.

Do a free online VIN check / pay for a carfax to discover its prior history.

Does it smoke, make weird noise, drive smoothly and quietly?

If available pour over the car's prior service records.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
April 20th, 2021 at 6:16:14 PM permalink
EB tells us he's looking at a Avalon which has 205,000 miles and tells us there is no way even a mechanic could tell us what might be wrong.

So, why is he looking at it?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2021 at 9:40:24 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Any competent mechanic should be able to examine a car,

Should and 'can' are two different things. Even the service department at the Toyota dealership today told me that these cars are so heavily loaded with electronics that can go bad at any time that buying a used vehicle with any mileage on it is a crap shoot. It could cost a fortune just finding what the problem is. Mister V thanks this is still 1968 when a good mechanic could spend half an hour with a car and tell you exactly what's going on. The most electronically complicated component in the vehicle was the electric cigarette lighter. These days you have computers and computer modules running every aspect of the car. Dealership mechanics who work on these things for a living often have no idea what's wrong on a high-mileage car. Some Dumbo mechanic you're paying a hundred bucks to is supposed to know? He'll make a best guess just like everybody else.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 20th, 2021 at 9:43:52 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

EB tells us he's looking at a Avalon which has 205,000 miles and tells us there is no way even a mechanic could tell us what might be wrong.
So, why is he looking at it?

Because every high mileage car is a gamble, no matter what any mechanic says about it. The honest ones will tell you that. You are nearing the end a car's life, not the middle of it. Will it go 15000 more miles or 50000. Nobody could know

• Jump to: