Thread Rating:

Poll

11 votes (15.94%)
45 votes (65.21%)
13 votes (18.84%)

69 members have voted

kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 4079
January 30th, 2021 at 12:42:12 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Except it did work. Not 100%. You have to use it early. It is just that big pharma and others have no use for an off patent medicine.



Come on dude! Nobody is holding back the cure. Nobody is out to get you.
MDawg
MDawg
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 1691
January 30th, 2021 at 12:51:54 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I got the vaccine shot yesterday, as part of a trial. 50-50 maybe I did, maybe I got saline.

Based on lack of certain symptoms at the moment of injection / and presence of certain symptoms after and today, it would seem that I got the real thing, but who knows - maybe placebo effect or just a coincidence that I woke up with a headache and experienced the other minor side effects. I will say that if I got the real thing the symptoms are quite mild, for this particular vaccine.

I believe there is a way for me to find out if I received the real thing, by having my own antibody blood test done in a month, besides the one that the trial will conduct, but, I'm not sure if I will go that route, because I think if I have the antibody test all that independent lab will do is call me up and say I am Coronavirus positive, right?



I wrote the above almost two months ago.

I still don't know if I got the real thing or placebo. The pharmaceutical company has taken my blood once to test for antibodies, and will again shortly. The study remains blinded.

I never had my own testing done.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 222
  • Posts: 12306
January 30th, 2021 at 12:53:51 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Come on dude! Nobody is holding back the cure. Nobody is out to get you.



But there was a holdback on something that worked. Matter of record.

If the vax works out or not we will see. Just let us all make our own risk/benefit decision please.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3359
January 30th, 2021 at 12:53:59 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

No good medical reason? How about hydroxychloroquine didn't work. LOL. Hydroxychloroquine was simply a drug for other medical conditions that early on when tried for Covid, looked like it might have possible benefits. The "medical establishment" tries the repurposing of medications all the time. Sometimes they are useful in treating something else, sometimes they aren't. Hydroxychloroquine showed early promise, but fizzled with more data.

Do you have links?
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 2178
January 30th, 2021 at 12:55:14 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is just that big pharma and others have no use for an off patent medicine.



I thought the exact opposite of this was true. Any seller of anything almost always would love to have their products used for a wider range of things, rather than a narrower range. Pharmaceutical sellers are no different. Wellbutrin is approved to treat depression, every time a doctor prescribes it to someone quit smoking, the maker and seller earn profits (so long as the prescription gets filled). Same with hydroxychloroquine. Every time a a doctor prescribes it to for coronavirus, "big pharma" profits. If a doctor could only prescribe a drug for what it is approved for and not off label use, "big pharma" as we know it, could not exist.
petroglyph
petroglyph
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3359
January 30th, 2021 at 12:55:55 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Thalidomide. The 'birth defect' pill. Was approved overseas but NOT by the FDA! The US system WORKED. (At least this is what I was taught in Med School!)
I totally support your right to refuse the vaccine, and your thinking is reasonable. Frankly, as we get better and better treatments, and approach herd immunity, the 'benefit' part of the risk benefit ratio keeps shrinking for any individual. To me at present, the benefit part still far outweighs the potential risk. I know I didn't get immunity the second I got the shot, but I had a 'free' feeling once I did. Unfortunately my wife does not qualify yet, so it is only half a victory....

I have a friend whose wife was given Thalidomide for cancer. Have you heard of that?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 222
  • Posts: 12306
January 30th, 2021 at 1:02:26 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

I thought the exact opposite of this was true. Any seller of anything almost always would love to have their products used for a wider range of things, rather than a narrower range. Pharmaceutical sellers are no different. Wellbutrin is approved to treat depression, every time a doctor prescribes it to someone quit smoking, the maker and seller earn profits (so long as the prescription gets filled). Same with hydroxychloroquine. Every time a a doctor prescribes it to for coronavirus, "big pharma" profits. If a doctor could only prescribe a drug for what it is approved for and not off label use, "big pharma" as we know it, could not exist.



What you are missing is there is little profit in a 70 year old off patent pill. Big Pharma wants to sell what has the high markup.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
kewlj
kewlj
Joined: Apr 17, 2012
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 4079
January 30th, 2021 at 1:08:58 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman


If the vax works out or not we will see. Just let us all make our own risk/benefit decision please.



OF COURSE, everyone can and should make their own decision.

But unfortunately your decision effects me and others. If 50% think and choose as you do, the 50% getting the vaccine is useless. You probably need 75% to stop this virus. The vaccine is our way out, our way back to normalcy, so I am just hoping enough people get it right. :)
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 2580
January 30th, 2021 at 1:42:19 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The vaccine is our way out, our way back to normalcy, so I am just hoping enough people get it right. :)



Iím pro mask and vaccine BUT, normalcy is never really coming back in the same way that privacy never really came back post 9-11.

  • Jump to: