start of the media lawsuits. It was bound to
happen, the media is out of control with it's
lies.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 20th, 2019 at 1:00:38 PM permalink
What did they specifically say about him?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
tringlomane
February 20th, 2019 at 1:56:00 PM permalink
They were mean to him.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
February 20th, 2019 at 2:00:55 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

They were mean to him.

Lawsuit is not going anywhere
It will be dismissed
To win, you have to prove the Post knew the truth and decided to lie
If the post simply reported on what info was available at the time, right or wrong, that's not actionable
Asking for 250 million just shows how dumb the lawyer is. Gee why didn't the lawyer go all in and ask for 1 billion lol
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 20th, 2019 at 2:23:21 PM permalink
This poor kid is being used as a political pawn by all the adults in his life.
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2019 at 2:33:46 PM permalink
I'd love to finance a tour with him and David Hogg having a debate. We'll all make gazillions.
We'll get Paula Abdul, Howard Stern and Sean Spicer to toss softball questions and Heidi Klum ,just because.
It can culminate in a massive Airing of The Grievances followed by Feats of Strength.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
February 20th, 2019 at 2:38:22 PM permalink
The lawsuit appears to have enough substance that it will be settled out of court. The Post doesn't need persisting media attention on what it did wrong, despite any lawyerly arguments about its righteousness.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 20th, 2019 at 2:48:11 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Lawsuit is not going anywhere

Wrong. The media jumped to judgement
without all the facts and wrongfully effected
the rest of this kids life. Lots more lawsuits
coming, it's an open and shut case. All they
have to do is play the videos of the wrong
conclusions the media jumped to, and then
show what really happened. The checks this
kid gets have so many zeros they will run
off the side of the check.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 20th, 2019 at 2:49:53 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The lawsuit appears to have enough substance that it will be settled out of court

All of them will. Never seen a more slam
dunk case.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 20th, 2019 at 2:57:39 PM permalink
If he should be suing anyone, it's that Native American guy. His original interview is where the whole story started going off the rails. But his lawyers probably said, "No, we need to go after someone with money. It'll be an easy settlement."
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
February 20th, 2019 at 3:19:40 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

All of them will. Never seen a more slam
dunk case.

I wonder if the brothers Ola and Abel Osundario , have a viable lawsuit against the media or Smollett for jumping to conclusions and calling them violent racists? https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kamala-harris-gives-awkward-response-when-asked-about-jussie-smollett-claims
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
  • Threads: 10
February 20th, 2019 at 3:19:47 PM permalink
Following is a link to the actual lawsuit filed (for those here it seems did not actually read it)

http://www.hemmerlaw.com/blog/for-truth-for-justice-for-nicholas/

Sure doesn't look frivolous or easily dismissed. The kid is going to be a millionaire.
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 20th, 2019 at 3:20:22 PM permalink
Much of the defamation comes from quoting Nathan Phillips and the kids own Arch-Diocese who also went and apologized for their conduct. Sounds pretty iffy to me.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2019 at 3:25:53 PM permalink
Not sure what showing a video has to do with a suit against a newspaper, but I'll leave that to our experts on the subject. I'm sure their years of legal experience will lead them to the proper conclusion.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 20th, 2019 at 3:27:29 PM permalink
Quote: Fleaswatter

Following is a link to the actual lawsuit filed (for those here it seems did not actually read it)

In targeting and bullying Nicholas by falsely accusing him of instigating the January 18 incident, the Post conveyed that Nicholas engaged in acts of racism by “swarming” Phillips, “blocking” his exit away from the students, and otherwise engaging in racist misconduct...But the Post did not care about protecting Nicholas. To the contrary, the Post raced with a reckless disregard of the facts and truth... The Post bullied an innocent child with an absolute disregard for the pain and destruction its attacks would cause to his life...

The kid will be a zillionaire when
all the lawsuits are settled. The
evidence is abundant and conclusive.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
February 20th, 2019 at 3:31:11 PM permalink
This is going nowhere.

Reminds me of when George Zimmerman (another worthless racist) tried to sue NBC News.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/30/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-nbc-news/11759123/
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2019 at 3:33:30 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

This is going nowhere.

Reminds me of when George Zimmerman (another worthless racist) tried to sue NBC News.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/30/george-zimmerman-trayvon-martin-nbc-news/11759123/

I miss Georgie. How is the misunderstood starving artist doing these days?
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 20th, 2019 at 3:35:49 PM permalink

Sure doesn't look frivolous or easily dismissed. The kid is going to be a millionaire.

From the lawsuit:

"....which caused permanent damage to his life and reputation."

LOL... it's been less than a month, what "permanent damage" has been done? Anyway, most people have already forgotten about the story. This kid will be forgotten about before he graduates high school.

The $250 million is symbolic. They pretty much admit that right in the lawsuit. There's no way they'll get anywhere near that much, and they know it.

I think the Post is going to settle for a few hundred grand, maybe $1-2 million AT MOST, the lawyers will take most of it, and this kid will have a nice jump start on paying for college.
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2019 at 3:40:20 PM permalink
Reading the documents, it appears to me a bunch of grandstanding. The Post reported on a video that was in circulation. They didn't make the video.
It's America. He can sure and the lawyers will charge.
rxwine
rxwine
February 20th, 2019 at 3:43:09 PM permalink

This is going nowhere.

Unfortunately, I think the Post lawyers are going to have to consider how a jury might react to a fresh faced kid against a newspaper conglomerate. I think they may indeed offer a settlement. Personally I'd like to see it settled in court, but it's not my money to lose.

I think the kid's lawyers smelled a money grab and took it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 20th, 2019 at 3:46:11 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

If he should be suing anyone, it's that Native American guy. His original interview is where the whole story started going off the rails. But his lawyers probably said, "No, we need to go after someone with money. It'll be an easy settlement."

But the lamestream, drive-by media ran with it without checking facts. Same as hey always do when they can make a conservative look bad. Same as they assumed there was nothing strange with a woman who said she enjoyed the Kavanaugh rape parties so much she went back to them several times. Same as the just assumed old memos about Bush made on Word were the real thing. And not to forget same as they believed two guys beat up a guy and poured bleach on him, shouting "MAGA."

I hope the kid cleans their clocks. Not that they will learn.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2019 at 3:52:48 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Unfortunately, I think the Post lawyers are going to have to consider how a jury might react to a fresh faced kid against a newspaper conglomerate. I think they may indeed offer a settlement. Personally I'd like to see it settled in court, but it's not my money to lose.

Of course they did. Wouldn't you? Of all the media outlets they can sue, do you think its a coincidence they are going after The Post first?
Any settlement with the Post sets up literally hundreds of similar suits.
Not to worry. I'm sure another caravan will form and the circus will move on.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 20th, 2019 at 3:57:16 PM permalink
I didn’t see anything written that was untrue. Except the kid’s statement that made it seem like he was trying to be the peacemaker.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
February 20th, 2019 at 3:59:06 PM permalink
Are they suing their own school which immediately condemned their actions and said that their behavior "lacked dignity and respect for the human person"? They saw the same videos that the media outlets saw.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
February 20th, 2019 at 4:01:26 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I didn’t see anything written that was untrue.

I didn't either but I've run out of my free articles on WaPo on every browser I have, lol. The major complaint in the lawsuit is that the Post engage in "moder-day form of McCarthyism by competing with CNN and NBC< among others, to claim leadership of a mainstream and social media mob of bullies."

Ummm, okay. Seems like a stretch but I guess we'll see.
terapined
terapined
February 20th, 2019 at 4:12:24 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

No way the post settles. Its a extremely weak case. You cant sue if a newspaper gets it wrong. You only win if you can prove the post knew the truth and lied anyway. Just getting a story wrong is not actionable.
The post settles, it opens the floodgates
Besides, how do you concretely prove that you have been damaged to the tune of 250 mil???????????? Its impossible.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
February 20th, 2019 at 5:14:17 PM permalink

No way the post settles.

I strongly believe that you are completely wrong. The post will either settle or lose in court. I will bet you one hundred dollars that the Washington Post will either settle out of court or lose in court.
new motto for the left: “I don't know if I received bad information, but I think I suspected there was more than there actually was,” (John Brennan Mar 25, 2019)
ams288
ams288
February 20th, 2019 at 5:24:42 PM permalink

I strongly believe that you are completely wrong. The post will either settle or lose in court. I will bet you one hundred dollars that the Washington Post will either settle out of court or lose in court.

It could take years to resolve this bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 20th, 2019 at 5:57:41 PM permalink

I'll go a hundred too if terapined really wants to bet. I'm not disagreeing with Ed that possibly the WP might have not erred enough to properly lose the lawsuit, but in the real world a million or so with a Stormy Daniels type non disclosure agreement is not that big a price to pay for their pathetic reporting.
terapined
terapined
February 20th, 2019 at 5:58:01 PM permalink

How about this
He wins 125 million or the Post settles for 125 million in 1 year from today, I pay you 100.00.
He only has to win 1/2 of what he is demanding
He does not get the 125 mil after 1 year, I win 100.00
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
RS
February 20th, 2019 at 6:01:31 PM permalink

How about this
He wins 125 million or the Post settles for 125 million in 1 year from today, I pay you 100.00.
He only has to win 1/2 of what he is demanding
He does not get the 125 mil after 1 year, I win 100.00

Huh? No one has said or even implied he will get that much. Just that there will be a settlement. Barring a leak, we will never know how much the settlement is, unless for some reason the WP has to make it public.

You said "no way he gets a settlement". That is clear and simple. Are you changing your mind?
terapined
terapined
February 20th, 2019 at 6:05:17 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You said "no way he gets a settlement". That is clear and simple. Are you changing your mind?

Did I offer a bet when I made that statement?
I'm watching Duke NC tonight
No way Duke loses tonight
Am I willing to bet a 100 on Duke, nope. but I still believe no way Duke loses :-)
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
February 20th, 2019 at 6:09:18 PM permalink
If you aren’t willing to bet it, then you don’t really believe it.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
February 20th, 2019 at 6:11:41 PM permalink
Since we're also talking about Bezos; it could be rash to assume he settles. The Enquirer tried to blackmail him (alleged) and he wasn't having it, so I know he isn't risk adverse.
Fleaswatter
Fleaswatter
February 20th, 2019 at 6:11:51 PM permalink

Am I willing to bet a 100 on Duke, nope. but I still believe no way Duke loses :-)

No, I made the offer of a bet. I just want to see if you are willing to "put your money where your mouth is".
ams288
ams288
February 20th, 2019 at 6:20:31 PM permalink

No, I made the offer of a bet. I just want to see if you are willing to "put your money where your mouth is".

Terapined has “put his money where his mouth is” several times on these boards.

Off the top of my head I believe he made a (losing) bet that there would be no summit with Kim Jong Un and a (winning) bet that Dems would take back the house in 2018.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
February 20th, 2019 at 6:22:35 PM permalink

Terapined has “put his money where his mouth is” several times on these boards.

Off the top of my head I believe he made a (losing) bet that there would be no summit with Kim Jong Un and a (winning) bet that Dems would take back the house in 2018.

No one is questioning whether he is willing to bet when he believes the odds are favorable. This is a site dedicated to gambling after all. It’s a question of whether he was willing to make a bet about this.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
petroglyph
petroglyph
February 20th, 2019 at 9:18:22 PM permalink
President Macron of France has been gassing his own people for 15 weeks in a row. This should be on the "news" 24/7. Why no outrage? https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/a4btrn/macrons_government_uses_tear_gas_against_his_own/
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
AxelWolfRS
February 20th, 2019 at 10:46:04 PM permalink
The Covington kids lawyer says there could
be hundreds of potential lawsuits. CNN and
NBC are next. When you watch clip after clip,
all of these news services talking about a 16
year old kid as if he was the devil incarnate,
and you know the real story, it's abominable.

The lawsuit is 38 pages long, written by
somebody who's been trying cases like this
for 25 years. Even Dershowitz, after reading
it, said the kid has a reasonable case. The
lawyer said this will be ongoing for the next
two and a half years. Maybe this will finally
instill some sanity into a media that's gone
completely out of control. Watching them
report this unverified story, some of them
gleeful and jubilant that this happened.

Now they get to pay for their mistake.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
February 20th, 2019 at 11:03:09 PM permalink

Duke got crushed tonight. They were screwed when Zion Williamson's shoe broke. I still have no clue how that happened.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
February 21st, 2019 at 1:48:53 AM permalink

Sure doesn't look frivolous or easily dismissed.

Reminds me of hero Richard Jewell who after saving many lives when he discovered an unattended backpack in Olympic Park in 1996, was wrongfully accused by the Ministry of Fake News, of planting the bomb.

After he was cleared by the FBI, he sued and received settlements from CNN, NY Post, NBC, ABC, and his employer Piedmont College.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
AxelWolfRogerKinttringlomaneRSMinty
February 21st, 2019 at 2:05:10 AM permalink
The Supreme Court unanimously voted to limit police powers to seize private property.

This should severely limit civil forfeiture abuses.
ams288
ams288
February 21st, 2019 at 5:09:46 AM permalink

Now they get to pay for their mistake.

I'd be much more interested in EB "putting his money where his mouth is" on this subject.

But we all know he doesn't really believe half the things he posts...
terapined
terapined
February 21st, 2019 at 6:49:32 AM permalink
Voter fraud in North Carolina
Mark Harris who benefitted from the fraud is saying he had no idea it was going on
Well his son just dropped a bombshell
He testified that he warned his father about the shady operative harvesting votes illegally

https://www.wral.com/mark-harris-son-on-bladen-absentee-ballot-operation-i-thought-it-was-illegal-and-i-was-right/18205754/

https://www.wfae.org/post/dispatches-mark-harris-son-says-he-warned-his-dad-about-dowless#stream/0
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 21st, 2019 at 10:31:29 AM permalink
Smollett says he did the hoax because
the $1mil a year he was being paid
on his show wasn't enough for the
lifestyle he wanted to live. So now
he loses the million dollar job, has
to pay for the cost of the investigation,
and gets to wear an orange jumpsuit
for at least a year.

If he's found to have sent the hate
letter with white powder to himself,
it's 5-10 years slammer time. It was
such a good plan to him, where did
he go wrong..
petroglyph
petroglyph
February 21st, 2019 at 10:37:06 AM permalink

for at least a year.

he go wrong..

None of them knew how to tie a noose, so they used a Windsor knot.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 21st, 2019 at 10:41:58 AM permalink

he go wrong..

Hard to say. So believable a story. I carry rope and bleach with me wherever I go!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
February 21st, 2019 at 10:46:56 AM permalink

for at least a year.

he go wrong..

I was skeptical when my wife first told me about this story. It just didnt make any sence to me. I told her I thought it was all made up BS. What a dumb ass he is.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 21st, 2019 at 11:11:03 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I was skeptical when my wife first told me about this story. It just didnt make any sence to me. I told her I thought it was all made up BS. What a dumb ass he is.

His biggest mistake was hiring his
Nigerian trainer and his brother
to do it with him. Those guys
were so scared of being deported,
they ratted him out almost immediately.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 21st, 2019 at 11:27:13 AM permalink

His biggest mistake was hiring his
Nigerian trainer and his brother
to do it with him. Those guys
were so scared of being deported,
they ratted him out almost immediately.

Cops are probably pretty good at ferreting out stories like this. People fake hate crimes all the time. This was so over the top that even a junior detective should have been smelling rat as he took the report. Dietrich and Wojo would have figured it out right off!
  • Jump to: