Thread Rating:

MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
July 20th, 2016 at 10:49:01 PM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

I call total BS. Show your work. Where did you learn how to count?

And are you saying that before the government got into the business of education, people were stupid?

California's Prop 13 was in 1978. I was off by two years, please forgive me. Look no further than the sad demise of public school music programs over the decades to see examples of how education budgets are being cut.

And please don't confuse intelligence with education. If you don't understand the difference between stupidity and poorly educated, you may need more education.

Not going to school doesn't make someone stupid, but it does make them more likely to fall for flim-flam claims like "I'm gonna make the economy great, trust me, it's gonna be so great you won't believe it." One of the benefits of a good education is the ability to think critically and reason well. Critical thought is notably absent from the Trump campaign and, unfortunately, many of his followers. Someone thinking critically would never fall for his bread and circuses and would only support him if they have something very specific to gain. That might explain Sheldon Adelson but what's in it for you?
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
July 21st, 2016 at 12:49:48 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

No they didn't. In baseball, a relief pitcher entering the bottom of the 8th with no outs and the bases full doesn't get charged with the run if he induces a double play but the runner at 3rd scores. Obama inherited a skyrocketing debt from Bush

There's no bigger critic of Bush than I, even though I'm a republican. But that's because I'm not a partisan hack. It is what it is, Obama is Bush on steroids, fiscally. I trust you'll be writing him in for a third term. You deserve him.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 1:08:59 AM permalink

And please don't confuse intelligence with education. If you don't understand the difference between stupidity and poorly educated, you may need more education.

I have not confused intelligence with education. You're the guy who thinks a public education is necessary for "critical thinking". Indoctrination at its finest.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 1:27:57 AM permalink

Someone thinking critically would never fall for his bread and circuses and would only support him if they have something very specific to gain. That might explain Sheldon Adelson but what's in it for you?

Your "critical thinking" skills have decided I am a Trump supporter. I write short posts so it shouldn't take you long to produce a quote.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 21st, 2016 at 2:19:31 AM permalink
Quote: 777

Yes, but by printing the money, the Treasury eventually get the money for free????

Solving the debt problem requires HUGE SACRIFICE from ALL rich and poor citizens. Since no one is willing to make huge sacrifice, the easiest solution is printing money.

For free? Not really, they still pay interest on it. To the banks or to the Fed directly if the Fed is the buyer. The money gets cheaper as the inflation tax hits every saver in the USA.

But yes, with 47% of the population paying no taxes and the top portion paying an outsize share and people thinking "the rich need to pay more" it is going to all fall apart. Money will be printed more and more. Inflation will hit and hit hard. When a cup of coffee hits $10 the average person will blame whoever is in charge at the time,
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
July 21st, 2016 at 4:08:20 AM permalink
The political parties ARE making us dumber...but it is not just done by one party.

Since this board's political commenters are mostly liberal/progressive/Democrat, it follows that it is most likely the Republican party would be the one under constant attack here. In the real world, there is plenty bad to say about the politics of both parties. Failures to act and failures of policy are common.

So, friends, if you are lock-step with your party and think only the other one is wrong, you are sadly mistaken. It makes your attacks worthless.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
July 21st, 2016 at 5:02:43 AM permalink
Anyone notice how every single Republican governor that has spoken so far has lied about described how awful Obama has been for the economy, but then they immediately go on and describe how great the economy is in their states?

Hmmmmmmm......
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 6:34:57 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

For free? Not really, they still pay interest on it. To the banks or to the Fed directly if the Fed is the buyer. The money gets cheaper as the inflation tax hits every saver in the USA.

But yes, with 47% of the population paying no taxes and the top portion paying an outsize share and people thinking "the rich need to pay more" it is going to all fall apart. Money will be printed more and more. Inflation will hit and hit hard. When a cup of coffee hits $10 the average person will blame whoever is in charge at the time,

If you listen to the guy on the 6 o'clock news, it sounds like inflation is in check. What I want to know is where does HE go shopping? I want to shop where HE shops.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
July 21st, 2016 at 6:38:25 AM permalink

No they didn't. In baseball, a relief pitcher entering the bottom of the 8th with no outs and the bases full doesn't get charged with the run if he induces a double play but the runner at 3rd scores. Obama inherited a skyrocketing debt from Bush and the Great Recession. If you think any new administration can simply turn that around in a month or a quarter, you're woefully ignorant of the velocity of our national economy.

The end of Bush's presidency and the beginning of Obama's was a really bad recession both domestically and globally, and the right solution was to use QE to spend our way out of that rather than impose European-style austerity, because we've just seen how well that worked out.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-qe-rescued-america-from-the-great-recession-charts-2014-10

But if you skip past the recession and its lagging effects, debt under Obama has leveled out over the past 4 years. That's because, absent a financial meltdown, democratic financial policies have tended to be better for the debt ratio than republican ones. Why? Politicians are going to spend money no matter what they promise you, but the democrats are the only ones honest about needing to pay for it through taxation, while republicans have tended to cut taxes despite the trickle-down theory being debunked in practice. According to the following chart, over the past half-century, every GOP president has left office with the debt on the rise (as a percentage of GDP), while every democratic president has left office with the debt either stable or on the decline.

Trump's plan is to cut taxes across the board, especially for rich people, and not do a damn thing about spending. According to conservative economists, that will add almost $10T to the debt over the next decade. There's no recession to excuse that debt increase this time, so what's the justification for such an unbalanced economic proposal?

not mentioned in this excellent post is the cost of two wars and Medicare Part D, passed by Republicans with no way to pay for it. That will affect every administration for years to come.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 6:44:23 AM permalink

There's no bigger critic of Bush than I, even though I'm a republican. But that's because I'm not a partisan hack. It is what it is, Obama is Bush on steroids, fiscally. I trust you'll be writing him in for a third term. You deserve him.

No, Obama actually did something with the debt he incurred. He insured everyone, including those with pre-existing conditions. It's good social policy to minimize uncertainty, minimize the under-insured, and reduce the use of expensive ERs as first-line treatment. That policy has already been paying dividends. According to the Washington Post, even though many people say they "hate" Obamacare, they like what it actually does, and that's a branding problem, not a policy one. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-checkup-for-obamacare-reveals-a-positive-prognosis/2016/01/07/f3e13c10-b582-11e5-9388-466021d971de_story.html

I don't know what Bush's excuse was for the debt he incurred, but nobody's pointing to what he spent it on and even debating whether it was a good thing. Health care is a good thing.

And on the education piece, again you mistake my message. I don't think public education is necessary for critical thinking, but I do think some education is necessary. Too often the alternate for public education is none at all. Like health care and other public goods, education isn't something that a well-crafted society should leave to privatization or make optional. But policy has fallen down on the job and now we're reaping the benefits.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 6:46:06 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

The political parties ARE making us dumber...but it is not just done by one party.

Since this board's political commenters are mostly liberal/progressive/Democrat, it follows that it is most likely the Republican party would be the one under constant attack here. In the real world, there is plenty bad to say about the politics of both parties. Failures to act and failures of policy are common.

So, friends, if you are lock-step with your party and think only the other one is wrong, you are sadly mistaken. It makes your attacks worthless.

You've got people that are not even willing to blame this administration for ANYTHING. At least I'm honest and objective enough to throw blame where it is due. My own party was spending like drunken sailors during the previous administration and running up enormous debt. But they were girl scouts compared to what the current guys have done. There's at least two or three people in this thread that literally said the current guy has done nothing wrong. Talk about blinders on. Is anyone on this forum over 30? This is what decades of public education has done for us.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 7:12:19 AM permalink

You've got people that are not even willing to blame this administration for ANYTHING. At least I'm honest and objective enough to throw blame where it is due. My own party was spending like drunken sailors during the previous administration and running up enormous debt. But they were girl scouts compared to what the current guys have done. There's at least two or three people in this thread that literally said the current guy has done nothing wrong. Talk about blinders on. Is anyone on this forum over 30? This is what decades of public education has done for us.

You talk as if debt is universally a bad thing, but it's not. Again, QE is what got us out of the recession in a way that Europe didn't until much later. If you want to have a policy debate, let's have one. What's one of your specific complaints with the Obama administration, and what would you do differently?

For what it's worth, I'm upset that Tim Kaine is, as part of his VP vetting process, advocating bank deregulation. That's what caused the financial meltdown in the first place.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
July 21st, 2016 at 8:27:07 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: TomG

How many fewer guns do you own today than you did eight years ago?

Look around, it's nowhere

Really? I suggest you check how many gun restrictions have been placed in places like NY and CA.

As to Obama, remember he once proposed that no gun store be allowed within 5 miles of a school or park. Yeah, he supports gun rights---not!

Your ability to avoid the question is noted. Trump would approve
  • Threads: 31
July 21st, 2016 at 8:31:05 AM permalink

I see many pro and con view points here, but no one had commented that the "current guy" has done nothing wrong.

I don’t know how many of Trump’s supporters are over 30, but the polls reveal that Trump supporters are uneducated, and Trump even acknowledged that his supporters are uneducated.

The national debt is a big concern for us all. The financial meltdown had made it necessary for Obama and the Congress to incur huge debt in an effort to take America out of a depression similar to that of the 1920-21 era. What would you, your party and our nation do differently during the financial crisis in order to avert a depression?
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 8:36:44 AM permalink

If you want to have a policy debate, let's have one.

Why would I want to debate with someone who knows everything already? Besides, I need to go to the dentist.
July 21st, 2016 at 8:41:08 AM permalink

Why would I want to debate with someone who knows everything already? Besides, I need to go to the dentist.

We can chat about your dentist experience then. Do you wear denture? I'm just trying to guess whether you are over 30 or not.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 8:49:22 AM permalink

I see many pro and con view points here, but no one had commented that the "current guy" has done nothing wrong.

Wrong. Scroll up.

And two or three posters justifying the enormous debt is tantamount to giving him a pass.

I'm still trying to figure out how one poster, who is very adept at critical thinking, figured out that I am for Trump, when I have not said ONE WORD about Trump. Mind reader.
July 21st, 2016 at 9:01:09 AM permalink

Wrong. Scroll up.

And two or three posters justifying the enormous debt is tantamount to giving him a pass.

I'm still trying to figure out how one poster, who is very adept at critical thinking, figured out that I am for Trump, when I have not said ONE WORD about Trump. Mind reader.

You incorrectly interpreted other people thinking.

I believe the huge run of the debt via various stimulus programs was NECESSARY in order to take the nation out of a depression similar to that of the 1920-21 ear. What is the alternative? The bigger question now is what should we do with the current debt? Trump had suggested something in the line that we should use the threat of default as a mean in negotiating the debt down. Do you agree with Trump, if not, what is your solution?
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 9:01:37 AM permalink

We can chat about your dentist experience then. Do you wear denture? I'm just trying to guess whether you are over 30 or not.

I'm old enough to remember getting my butt swatted all the time with a big paddle with holes in it that they made in wood class when I smarted off to the teachers in school. I hear they don't do that no more. That's too bad.
July 21st, 2016 at 9:06:52 AM permalink

I'm old enough to remember getting my butt swatted all the time with a big paddle with holes in it that they made in wood class when I smarted off to the teachers in school. I hear they don't do that no more. That's too bad.

"But a new analysis of more than 50 years' worth of studies suggests that spanking may backfire. In fact, kids who were spanked were more likely to defy their parents, have mental health problems and be anti-social, the research finds."

Read more here at http://www.livescience.com/54591-spanking-makes-kids-defiant.html
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 9:08:00 AM permalink

I believe the huge run of the debt via various stimulus programs was NECESSARY

Absolutely. Let's spend our way into prosperity. And while we're at it, let's raise the minimum wage to $30 an hour and eliminate poverty.
TomG
TomG
July 21st, 2016 at 9:12:37 AM permalink

First term: Two wars and the Restoration and Recovery Act and Obama helps add almost $5 trillion to the debt. (A 43% increase compared to a 40% increase for Bush's second term).
Second term: Ends two wars, Obamacare begins and in the most recent year the National Debt has slowed to it's slowest rate of growth since 1966: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt.htm

Now Trump wants to come in and increase deficit spending to all time highs.
July 21st, 2016 at 9:19:34 AM permalink

Absolutely. Let's spend our way into prosperity. And while we're at it, let's raise the minimum wage to $30 an hour and eliminate poverty.

Despite the huge run up of the national debt, the stimulus spending was a SUCCESS because it averted a depression. The stock market is up, more people are employed today, the economy is in good shape, and the richer is richer because of the stimulus.

Keep in mind that it is o.k. to have national debt, but we must keep it a manageable level. Again, here my serious question to you: Other than the threat of "bankruptcy" as suggested by Trump, what is your solution to the national debt?
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 9:22:39 AM permalink

And on the education piece, again you mistake my message.

You made a broad statement that spending on education had been cut for 40 years and implied it was practically in crisis, citing California's Prop.13, a tiny part of the picture as your proof. The fact is that the government has done nothing BUT pour money into education, and the more they spend on it the dumber kids are. Not to mention that the Founders would turn in their graves if they knew what Jimmy Carter did creating the federal Department of Education and how unconstitutional that was. Throw in the agenda of the NEA, and the kids have NO chance. Zero.
TomG
TomG
July 21st, 2016 at 9:41:39 AM permalink

Despite the huge run up of the national debt, the stimulus spending was a SUCCESS because it averted a depression.

Strongly disagree. The recession was caused by overspending. The economic growth in the most recent years has been because we are once again fighting against debt.

Keep in mind that it is o.k. to have national debt, but we must keep it a manageable level.

The National Debt doesn't have to be bad, but the last 40 years it has not been good. It represents trying to work on current problems at the expense of future problems, as we saw George Bush do.

Other than the threat of "bankruptcy" as suggested by Trump, what is your solution to the national debt?

Exactly what Obama finally came around to in his last two years: stop it from growing. It's what Clinton fought for during his eight years. It's what all the presidents did between FDR and Nixon/Ford
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
July 21st, 2016 at 9:42:51 AM permalink
Barack Obama hasn't been anywhere NEAR liberal enough for liberals. And he pisses republicans off with EVERY move he makes.

So...if you've upset both sides of the political spectrum, you're probably doing a pretty damn good job as POTUS.
Steverinos
Steverinos
July 21st, 2016 at 9:44:37 AM permalink
Republicans = Borrow & Spend

Democrats = Tax & Spend

You figure it out.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 9:46:37 AM permalink

Despite the huge run up of the national debt, the stimulus spending was a SUCCESS because it averted a depression. The stock market is up, more people are employed today, the economy is in good shape, and the richer is richer because of the stimulus.

Keep in mind that it is o.k. to have national debt, but we must keep it a manageable level. Again, here my serious question to you: Other than the threat of "bankruptcy" as suggested by Trump, what is your solution to the national debt?

Yeah, manageable debt, only 20 trillion. Do you know how many zeroes are in that?

Anyway, it's been nice talking to you. But you're killing me. I'm about to wet myself. Have a nice day.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 9:53:48 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Barack Obama hasn't been anywhere NEAR liberal enough for liberals. And he pisses republicans off with EVERY move he makes.

So...if you've upset both sides of the political spectrum, you're probably doing a pretty damn good job as POTUS.

The old fake left-right paradigm trick.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 10:04:48 AM permalink

Exactly what Obama finally came around to in his last two years: stop it from growing. It's what Clinton fought for during his eight years. It's what all the presidents did between FDR and Nixon/Ford

The last annual surplus was under Eisenhower. Debt and federal power mushroomed under Nixon, despite his "conservative" rhetoric. That's all it was was talk. Carter came in, the total debt was still under a trillion. Reagan campaigned as a fiscal conservative, and proceeded to run it up to 1-1/2 trillion. More talk. Now it's 20 trillion.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 10:07:02 AM permalink

You're going to be at the dentist for the next few weeks? Oh, that's not it, you've already made several more posts.

It's far easier to make pithy, snide comments than discuss actual issues, isn't it? Seems that's all the GOP is good at these days. Not one single policy statement from anyone, just snark and "throw Hillary in jail."

If you want to rise above it and be thoughtful, go ahead. If you want to follow the popular but intellectually lazy trend of repeating 140-character talking points without actually evaluating them, you wouldn't be alone. The only thing I know is that I don't know everything. Do you? If so, please enlighten me. What specifically about the Obama administration do you find fault with, and what would you have done differently?
July 21st, 2016 at 10:07:49 AM permalink

Strongly disagree. The recession was caused by overspending. The economic growth in the most recent years has been because we are once again fighting against debt.

The National Debt doesn't have to be bad, but the last 40 years it has not been good. It represents trying to work on current problems at the expense of future problems, as we saw George Bush do.

I was talking about the stimulus during the financial crisis in respond to Bob's complain about the "current guy" running up the huge debt, and just want his opinion on what he would have done differently facing threat of a depression similar to that of the 1920-21 era.
Steverinos
Steverinos
July 21st, 2016 at 10:08:24 AM permalink
Yeah, it's a trick.

It's hilarious to see folks calling Obama the divider here. Barack Obama, much to the dismay of liberals, proposed raising retirement ages in the Grand Bargain negotiations. You think that was popular with his base? lol. Barack Obama proposed a 4-1 cuts to revenue plan in Grand Bargain. You think that was popular with his base? Barack Obama proposed CUTTING, yes, you heard that right, CUTTING social security in the Grand Bargain negotiations. You think that was popular with his base?

Obama also abandoned the idea of single payer and the public option early into the health care debate. Instead opting for a REPUBLICAN idea of the last 25 years. Bob Dole's health care plan, republican nominee of 96. Mitt Romney's health care plan in Mass. You think liberals wanted what we got in the ACA? Liberals want single payer, period.

Obama, very early in his presidency, made EVERY attempt at compromising with the republicans. He was actually pretty naïve. Yeah, he heard what Mitch McConnell said, but he didn't believe they would go to the extents they have in ensuring he would have NO political victories. Even though he had an overwhelming mandate from the American people in a landslide victory in 08, and a pretty damn convincing victory in 12.

It's not a trick. It's reality.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 10:13:23 AM permalink

You're going to be at the dentist for the next few weeks? Oh, that's not it, you've already made several more posts.

What did you expect? I'm a lying republican. Democrat good, republican bad.

I have a horse running today. If it wins, then I'll go to the dentist.
July 21st, 2016 at 10:15:42 AM permalink

Yeah, manageable debt, only 20 trillion. Do you know how many zeroes are in that?

Anyway, it's been nice talking to you. But you're killing me. I'm about to wet myself. Have a nice day.

How many zeros are there in 20 trillion?

Do you know what is the percentage of this debt to the GDP, and at what % do you think it should be in order to keep in manageable?

Your prior reply revealed that you were spanked during your childhood years, but it does not give me sufficient hint whether you are under 30 or not. I need another hint. Do you wear incontinence product?
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 10:18:53 AM permalink

What did you expect? I'm a lying republican. Democrat good, republican bad.

More snark, no substance. Have it your way.

Also, bet 3,6 quinella in the 4th.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 10:22:00 AM permalink

I was talking about the stimulus during the financial crisis in respond to Bob's complain about the "current guy" running up the huge debt, and just want his opinion on what he would have done differently facing threat of a depression similar to that of the 1920-21 era.

What would I have done? You mean what WILL I do, when I am president?

Close the border. Restore the gold standard. And bring our troops home, NOW.

Oh, and Henry Kissinger has got to do some jail time. Orange jumpsuit, Henry.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 10:27:46 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Obama also abandoned the idea of single payer and the public option early into the health care debate. Instead opting for a REPUBLICAN idea of the last 25 years. Bob Dole's health care plan, republican nominee of 96. Mitt Romney's health care plan in Mass. You think liberals wanted what we got in the ACA? Liberals want single payer, period.

Obama, very early in his presidency, made EVERY attempt at compromising with the republicans. He was actually pretty naïve. Yeah, he heard what Mitch McConnell said, but he didn't believe they would go to the extents they have in ensuring he would have NO political victories. Even though he had an overwhelming mandate from the American people in a landslide victory in 08, and a pretty damn convincing victory in 12.

It's not a trick. It's reality.

It's pretty remarkable that Obama got anything done at all given the unprecedented obstructionism from Congress. Look no further than the historic non-vote on Merrick Garland.

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20160720_Commentary__With_Merrick_Garland_obstruction__U_S__Senate_sets_sad_milestone.html

On the ACA, there's no question that proper single payer would be more efficient than the what the ACA set up, but it was a significant advance nonetheless. I know many people who directly benefited from the prohibition on exclusions from pre-existing conditions. Health care is a public good and entrusting any public good to a private, for-profit enterprise is an inherent conflict of interest.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 10:30:48 AM permalink

What would I have done? You mean what WILL I do, when I am president?

Restore the gold standard.

Let me know before you do that so I can short the market before you make it crash.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/08/why-the-gold-standard-is-the-worlds-worst-economic-idea-in-2-charts/261552/
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 10:32:51 AM permalink

How many zeros are there in 20 trillion?

Do you know what is the percentage of this debt to the GDP, and at what % do you think it should be in order to keep in manageable?

Your prior reply revealed that you were spanked during your childhood years, but it does not give me sufficient hint whether you are under 30 or not. I need another hint. Do you wear incontinence product?

DUDE! It's 20 friggin trillion! GDP my butt. Do you know what happened in Argentina, Zimbabwe, pre-war Germany?

When I was a kid, 50 cents got me a Hostess pie and an R.C. Cola, 16-oz bottle. And I had change left to give to Tommy the Bully. He grew up to work for the IRS. Yes, I am over 30. Now a pie and a coke runs me almost 5 BUCKS! The end is near. Believe me, it can't keep going like this.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 10:39:01 AM permalink

It's pretty remarkable that Obama got anything done at all given the unprecedented obstructionism from Congress.

lol You're killing me. This is the problem, don'tcha read? The republicans give Obama everything he wants. THAT, is the problem. That's what the big stink is all about. Where do you get your news from? People's World?
Steverinos
Steverinos
July 21st, 2016 at 10:59:32 AM permalink

lol You're killing me. This is the problem, don'tcha read? The republicans give Obama everything he wants. THAT, is the problem. That's what the big stink is all about. Where do you get your news from? People's World?

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ republicans giving him everything he wants

Where do you get YOUR news from? Geez.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 11:06:55 AM permalink

DUDE! It's 20 friggin trillion! GDP my butt. Do you know what happened in Argentina, Zimbabwe, pre-war Germany?

When I was a kid, 50 cents got me a Hostess pie and an R.C. Cola, 16-oz bottle. And I had change left to give to Tommy the Bully. He grew up to work for the IRS. Yes, I am over 30. Now a pie and a coke runs me almost 5 BUCKS! The end is near. Believe me, it can't keep going like this.

Do you really not understand why debt/GDP is the important metric? Have you ever gotten a mortgage? The bank doesn't look at your debt in a vacuum, they look at your debt-to-income ratio. A $400,000 mortgage isn't a good idea if someone makes $30,000/year but it's a fine idea if they make $250,000.

But you apparently want to return us to the gold standard and don't acknowledge the fact of inflation, so I respectfully submit that your judgment on economic matters is questionable. Pining for the days where 50 cents got you a lot of junk food is as relevant as pining for the days when music came on cassette tapes. Both are long gone. And maybe stop eating so much junk food. Then you won't have to go to the dentist as much.

I think the last time Republicans gave Obama anything, 50 cents got me a Hostess pie and an R.C. Cola...
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 11:14:50 AM permalink

Do you really not understand why debt/GDP is the important metric? Have you ever gotten a mortgage? The bank doesn't look at your debt in a vacuum, they look at your debt-to-income ratio. A $400,000 mortgage isn't a good idea if someone makes $30,000/year but it's a fine idea if they make $250,000.

But you apparently want to return us to the gold standard and don't acknowledge the fact of inflation, so I respectfully submit that your judgment on economic matters is questionable. Pining for the days where 50 cents got you a lot of junk food is as relevant as pining for the days when music came on cassette tapes. Both are long gone. And maybe stop eating so much junk food. Then you won't have to go to the dentist as much.

I think the last time Republicans gave Obama anything, 50 cents got me a Hostess pie and an R.C. Cola...

Then when should I start to worry? When the pie and the coke costs $50,000? $100,000? Didn't they teach you about pre-war Germany in public school? Can you pick out Zimbabwe on a world map? When is the National Debt a concern to YOU, Mister Critical Thinker?
TomG
TomG
July 21st, 2016 at 11:36:40 AM permalink

Then when should I start to worry? When the pie and the coke costs $50,000? $100,000? Didn't they teach you about pre-war Germany in public school? Can you pick out Zimbabwe on a world map?

Cans of Coke are still 27-cents at Costco. All the grocery stores in Las Vegas sell two Liter bottles (over 5.5 cans) for under $2, often as low as $1 (and about $4 to $5 for half a case, but I often see even lower). The dollar store sells knockoff cola in four packs.

What I remember learning about hyperinflation in public schools was that more than half of all examples in human history were caused by world wars and the breakup of the Soviet Union. (If my memory if faulty or if Professor Konig's lectures were wrong, someone please correct me). Getting us out of two wars was the best thing Obama could have possibly done to protect against hyperinflation

What I learned about hyperinflation from a quick google search is that it is defined as 50% per month, or 12,000% per year. As evidence by the ability to still by cheap soda, we've been around 3% for almost the entire history of our country. But another quick google search tells us it's actually been lower recently, around 1%, in the past year.

When is the National Debt a concern to YOU, Mister Critical Thinker?

It's a concern to me as soon as we elect another president who has built a platform around cutting revenue without cutting spending
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 11:39:46 AM permalink

Then when should I start to worry? When the pie and the coke costs $50,000? $100,000? Didn't they teach you about pre-war Germany in public school? Can you pick out Zimbabwe on a world map? When is the National Debt a concern to YOU, Mister Critical Thinker?

The absolute dollar amount doesn't matter. The dollar amount relative to what you can buy with it matters. How many working adults did you know growing up that made $40,000/year? How many working adults do you know today that don't?
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
July 21st, 2016 at 12:07:49 PM permalink

The absolute dollar amount doesn't matter. The dollar amount relative to what you can buy with it matters. How many working adults did you know growing up that made $40,000/year? How many working adults do you know today that don't?

2 issues there. Listen to liberals and the country is filled with them. See pushing $15 minimum wage.

Working adults? Againlook a street corner in any liberal city and see how many adults dont work. They find it pays more not to.

But most liberals don't want to address that, only Bill Clinton was willing to work on welfare.
bobbartop
bobbartop
July 21st, 2016 at 12:13:46 PM permalink

If someone walks up to me with a gun and takes the $10 I have in my pocket, I KNOW I've been robbed. If I can buy so many Hostess Pies with $90, yet a year from now I have to pay $100 for the same amount of pies, how come you don't know that I've been robbed? Where did the $10 go? I worked my butt off to earn that $10. Where did the $10 go?

When the robber took my $10, he benefited. Who benefited when I was robbed of $10 by inflation?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
July 21st, 2016 at 12:28:06 PM permalink

If someone walks up to me with a gun and takes the $10 I have in my pocket, I KNOW I've been robbed. If I can buy so many Hostess Pies with $90, yet a year from now I have to pay $100 for the same amount of pies, how come you don't know that I've been robbed? Where did the $10 go? I worked my butt off to earn that $10. Where did the $10 go?

When the robber took my $10, he benefited. Who benefited when I was robbed of $10 by inflation?

I think I can save you some money. Don't buy that many pies. Insulin injections are expensive and painful.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
July 21st, 2016 at 12:41:51 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

2 issues there. Listen to liberals and the country is filled with them. See pushing $15 minimum wage.

Working adults? Againlook a street corner in any liberal city and see how many adults dont work. They find it pays more not to.

But most liberals don't want to address that, only Bill Clinton was willing to work on welfare.

Welfare policy and inflation aren't directly related. We can debate welfare policy if you want, but there isn't really a debate that inflation has happened (and will continue to). In the early 1950s, which is where I'd guess Mr. Bartop begins his life experience, the average annual salary was roughly $3500. Today it's over 10x that. That's not a matter of opinion or politics, it's a fact. It's not like he's crying over the days when he could get cavities for 50c but his dad was making $50,000. If both income and costs have increased by 10x, you haven't lost any purchasing power, all you've done is add zeroes to everything.
  • Jump to: