Thread Rating:

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
July 9th, 2015 at 5:52:24 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Unless the current President is in the room(area), I would refer to any of the ex's as "President _______, if I was greeting them in person. Unless told specifically how to address them, that's what I would do.

Assuming I was not in any official capacity myself, I'm just a citizen and just follow what I normally would consider a respectful manner. Means nothing more than that, I think. I'll use a respectful address to a janitor, instead of "Hey you." whether they get that from everyone else or not. Same goes for everyone, on first meeting.

All of them are usually older and I usually go for a respectful handle. Unless of course, I'm there to officially throw tomatoes at them -- then maybe not.

What are they gonna do, shoot me, if I am too formal?

(Besides my mama would slap me for going around acting casual)

I'd rather make an error on the side of being too formal than too casual...

EVERYONE, except children, is "Sir" or "Ma'am" to me when we first meet. Unless the first meeting I have requires me to say "Your Honor"...
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
July 10th, 2015 at 8:34:03 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What is important is where a SCOTUS justice stands on the Constitution, not on social issues. Thus is an example of why it is so dangerous to have a liberal POTUS, they do not understand this concept and think SOTUS is a tool to implement policy.

Gimme a break. Republican Presidents appoint right wing judges who use their position to implement policy all the time.

See that Jon Stewart clip I posted a week or so ago where Scalia said because Congress was perpetually renewing it, the only way to ever change the Voting Rights Act was if the Supreme Court did it. And then they went ahead and gutted it. Seems like a pretty big policy implementation to me.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
July 10th, 2015 at 1:45:12 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Gimme a break. Republican Presidents appoint right wing judges who use their position to implement policy all the time.

See that Jon Stewart clip I posted a week or so ago where Scalia said because Congress was perpetually renewing it, the only way to ever change the Voting Rights Act was if the Supreme Court did it. And then they went ahead and gutted it. Seems like a pretty big policy implementation to me.

WOW! John Stewart is your news source. Sad just sad. Our nation is doomed.
ams288
ams288
July 10th, 2015 at 1:50:09 PM permalink
Quote: pew

Yes, our nation is doomed because a Daily Show video clip I posted contained a pertinent soundbite of Scalia making a fool of himself and contradicting AZDuffman's point about only liberal justices implementing policy.

Grow up.
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
July 10th, 2015 at 2:01:33 PM permalink

Yes, our nation is doomed because a Daily Show video clip I posted contained a pertinent soundbite of Scalia making a fool of himself and contradicting AZDuffman's point about only liberal justices implementing policy.

Grow up.

Conservatives are just jealous because no right-wing equivalent of The Daily Show has popped up and become a big hit. Yes, Fox News does Jon Stewart a big favor by broadcasting hours of hilarious BS every day, but there is plenty of liberal BS that could be mined for comedy. They would simply have to find an entertaining conservative with a good sense of humor...
ams288
ams288
July 10th, 2015 at 2:08:16 PM permalink
Quote: jml24

Conservatives are just jealous because no right-wing equivalent of The Daily Show has popped up and become a big hit. Yes, Fox News does Jon Stewart a big favor by broadcasting hours of hilarious BS every day, but there is plenty of liberal BS that could be mined for comedy. They would simply have to find an entertaining conservative with a good sense of humor...

They've tried and failed miserably.

Remember the Half Hour News Hour "comedy" show that aired on Fox News?

Yeah, no one else does either...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1/2_Hour_News_Hour
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 229
July 10th, 2015 at 3:28:59 PM permalink

If you mean the policy of implementing the Constitution as it was written and not as a "living, breathing" thing then yes, I suppose so.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
July 10th, 2015 at 3:47:42 PM permalink
Quote: pew

Foxnews viewers are just so serious and really pissed off at the state of affairs in this country.
They are not happy going into the weekend the flag coming down, gay marriage and Trump sucking the oxygen out of the republican race.
John Stewart viewers laugh at the news. Sure things are not perfect but we can still laugh.
We are going into the weekend with high spirits and happy.

I'd rather be happy and laugh , but that's just me :-)
Enjoy life and laugh.
Vegas in 2 weeks baby, nice vacation after an exhausting weekend in Chicago seeing the Grateful Dead :-)
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
July 11th, 2015 at 11:41:55 AM permalink
Does anyone here truly believe our country is on the 'right track' so to say? If I was asked I'd say we are on the 'wrong track' and headed for a mess due to liberal policies. But what do I know? I'm just a Fox News viewer pulling for Trump. I love the fact he doesn't really filter what he says! The truth hurts sometimes but this guy does pin the tail on the donkey. Way more entertaining and truthful (seemingly) than ole Hill.
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 88
July 11th, 2015 at 12:01:13 PM permalink
Quote: Mooseton

Does anyone here truly believe our country is on the 'right track' so to say? If I was asked I'd say we are on the 'wrong track' and headed for a mess due to liberal policies. But what do I know? I'm just a Fox News viewer pulling for Trump. I love the fact he doesn't really filter what he says! The truth hurts sometimes but this guy does pin the tail on the donkey. Way more entertaining and truthful (seemingly) than ole Hill.

I don't think there is any track, right or wrong to be on. The reality is the country stumbles forward and those in power try to stay in power while making a half hearted attempt to move the country forward in a positive way regardless if Liberal or Conservative.
Politicians never ever speak their mind. They say whatever they think their voters want to hear.
Of course Trump is not a typical politician, he actually says whats on his mid. Very refreshing I have to admit.
I cant wait to see him in the debates, will have the popcorn out.
I would vote Ole Hill over Trump but there is no doubt Trump is way way way more entertaining and truthful to a certain extant.
Ole Hill, a politician with her eyes on the prize.
Trump, the ultimate attention whore getting all the attention and having the time of his life.
WOV supports censorship. Bring back free speech challenging lies.

• Jump to: