odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 9th, 2012 at 7:16:15 AM permalink
uh-oh, the "meanies" are back!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
December 9th, 2012 at 7:21:43 AM permalink
To the contrary. I largely ignored the prior thread and intend to ignore this one. My concern lies with our female member and her overall well-being.
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
December 9th, 2012 at 7:35:52 AM permalink
If by "meany" you mean someone who thinks it is wrong to reward bad behavior, or someone who thinks that money should not be used as an incentive for everything, or someone who thinks that grown-ups should act like grown-ups and be responsible for their own actions and not expect the world to owe them anything for it, then yes, I am a meany.

Are you people so hard up for a bet that you have to do this again? Aren't there two roaches crawling up a wall somewhere that you can bet on instead?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 9th, 2012 at 7:52:48 AM permalink
Quote: tsmith

If by "meany" you mean someone who thinks it is wrong to reward bad behavior, or someone who thinks that money should not be used as an incentive for everything, or someone who thinks that grown-ups should act like grown-ups and be responsible for their own actions and not expect the world to owe them anything for it, then yes, I am a meany.

Are you people so hard up for a bet that you have to do this again? Aren't there two roaches crawling up a wall somewhere that you can bet on instead?

I am involved because the ups and downs, trials and tribulations, all come at a very inexpensive cost to me. I had a ball during the 9 months of HBC 1. And seeing HB at 135 will be worth the investment for me, and the Wiz as well. Should HB do this on her own with no outside financial motive... of course!! This new bet will be costing me less than $2 a day..... I hope we can make it happen! Come on, tsmith... stop being a meany and bet $50 against HB!
tsmith
tsmith
December 9th, 2012 at 10:44:10 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I am involved because the ups and downs, trials and tribulations, all come at a very inexpensive cost to me.

The cost is irrelevant. That you, who is supposedly so against obesity and its health consequences, are willing to continue to excuse this type of grand-scale yo-yo dieting and indeed are happy to pay to have it continue, is unbelieveable.

First, do no harm, remember? Are you not harming HB by being so nonchalant about such a big weight gain in such a short time? Are you not harming everyone else you preach to about avoiding obesity by not only enabling, but outright promoting someone who can only be called a professional dieter?

And seeing HB at 135 will be worth the investment for me

I weigh 135; give me $500 and I'll send you a picture of myself.

Come on, tsmith... stop being a meany and bet $50 against HB!

You gotta be effin' kiddin' me. I'd rather bet on the roaches.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 9th, 2012 at 10:45:34 AM permalink
Were she but a contestant in a real life version of "Hunger Games" ...
"What, me worry?"
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 9th, 2012 at 10:52:45 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
December 9th, 2012 at 11:03:15 AM permalink

I'd rather bet on the roaches.

+1
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 9th, 2012 at 11:13:01 AM permalink
Naw, forget it.
A falling knife has no handle.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
December 9th, 2012 at 11:18:09 AM permalink
Second seasons that have the same theme as the first season are always painful to watch.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 9th, 2012 at 11:34:20 AM permalink
Just mindlessly inflating the post count for this thread. As you were....
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 9th, 2012 at 11:44:14 AM permalink

The cost is irrelevant. That you, who is supposedly so against obesity and its health consequences, are willing to continue to excuse this type of grand-scale yo-yo dieting and indeed are happy to pay to have it continue, is unbelieveable.

First, do no harm, remember? Are you not harming HB by being so nonchalant about such a big weight gain in such a short time? Are you not harming everyone else you preach to about avoiding obesity by not only enabling, but outright promoting someone who can only be called a professional dieter?

I weigh 135; give me $500 and I'll send you a picture of myself.

I'm not HB's doctor. However, I will say unequivocally that HB is healthier right now at 180 than she was at 250 when the first HB challenge began. So my involvement has helped HB, not harmed her. Of course I agree with you that it would be better for HB if she didnt go on a month and a half orgy resulting in a massive weight gain. Of course it would be better for HB if she continued to eat reasonably after the completion of the initial challenge. But trust me, trying to make a 'health' suggestion to HB is not worth the time required to type it.
My involvement here is for my personal enjoyment. The reactions of other forum members, the Wiz, HB, you, etc... are priceless to me! If I lose, it will have cost me less than $2 a day. people on this site talk about dropping a black chip hoping a 10 comes up before a 7.
What i can't figure out is why you are involved here?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 9th, 2012 at 11:50:55 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

I'm sorry... I just don't understand this at all. Despite the rising levels of obesity in this country, there are still plenty of attractive women at healthy weights. Apparently you are a wealthy physician... are you really having that much trouble finding slim women with whom to engage in friendly conversation? I am not rich and I am not a doctor but I know dozens upon dozens of women who weigh less than 120 lbs, much less 180, that I could talk to.

Maybe a legitimate dating site would be a good investment for you, SOOPOO? For $50 you could talk to all manner of attractive women, instead of paying 10 times as much to lavish attention on (in my opinion) someone who does not deserve such attention.

Thanks for the advice, soda--- no dating site, thank you.... Enough non obese women here!
I actually haven't spoken to HB since a few days after the challenge ended until a couple of days ago when she broached the subject of a new challenge.
This will help keep me amused for the next 4 months if we get enough interest (I do not expect that to occur).
tsmith
tsmith
December 9th, 2012 at 11:57:31 AM permalink

I am involved because I am a member of this forum and as such, I believe I have the right to voice my opinion, regardless of my involvement in the wager.

If you only want the actual bettors involved, you should make it a private conversation and not post it in a public forum.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo 
  • Threads: 4
December 9th, 2012 at 12:00:11 PM permalink
Fool me once, etc.

I am blocking this thread. First thread I ever blocked.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 9th, 2012 at 12:00:45 PM permalink

I am involved because I am a member of this forum and as such, I believe I have the right to voice my opinion, regardless of my involvement in the wager.

If you only want the actual bettors involved, you should make it a private conversation and not post it in a public forum.

You KNOW that is not what i was implying! Of course you have a right to your opinion... the more interest the better! Why do you care what is happening on this thread? It is because it INTERESTS you, just like it interests me. So it is interesting....
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
December 9th, 2012 at 12:40:36 PM permalink

I will say unequivocally that HB is healthier right now at 180 than she was at 250 when the first HB challenge began ... My involvement here is for my personal enjoyment.

These are shameful things to say ... HB is severely unhealthy on many different levels ... no healthy person has weight fluctuations of this magnitude ... no healthy person asks others to participate in abetting her manic depressive and narcissistic disorder ... no healthy person offers wagers on which way her ill health will go next ... and no healthy person has a dialog with someone who may at times be suicidal in a way that may drive that person closer to their cliff ... this is just shameful ... shame on you SOOPOO ... if you had any concern for her health at all, instead of just doing this for your personal enjoyment, you would do everything you could to get HB the help she needs ... shame ...

-- Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 9th, 2012 at 12:57:43 PM permalink
"I weigh 135; give me $500 and I'll send you a picture of myself."

for $5 I promise not to send you a picture of me. At the 221 before my heart attack or the 165 ( in my dreams ) on my 73rd
birthday may 16

P.S. I see my request that Dorothy Gale block this thread fell on deaf ears SIGH
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
December 9th, 2012 at 3:00:32 PM permalink

The voice of reason possibly?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Nareed
Nareed
December 9th, 2012 at 3:20:17 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

no healthy person has

a pathological desire to criticize, censure and bash someone they have never even met and don't really know?
MrV
MrV
December 9th, 2012 at 3:27:38 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

a pathological desire to criticize, censure and bash someone they have never even met and don't really know?

"Pathological?"

Oh, please.

HB is trolling for attention, and people respond: some favorably, some not so.

She has made some enemies, and will not get a bye on this board.
"What, me worry?"
midwestgb
midwestgb
December 9th, 2012 at 3:59:23 PM permalink

HB is severely unhealthy on many different levels ... no healthy person has weight fluctuations of this magnitude ... no healthy person asks others to participate in abetting her manic depressive and narcissistic disorder ... no healthy person offers wagers on which way her ill health will go next ... and no healthy person has a dialog with someone who may at times be suicidal in a way that may drive that person closer to their cliff ... this is just shameful ...

Precisely correct. Great post.
tsmith
tsmith
December 9th, 2012 at 4:08:51 PM permalink
Yes it is. +1 right back at ya Dorothy Gale.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 9th, 2012 at 4:17:57 PM permalink

Aren't there two roaches crawling up a wall somewhere that you can bet on instead?

6 to 5 says on the one on the left gets to the top first.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
December 9th, 2012 at 4:23:41 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

6 to 5 says on the one on the left gets to the top first.

Is that some kind of advantage play?

Based on your football picks, I'd say you have some knowledge of roaches that gives the one on the left the edge.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 9th, 2012 at 4:24:17 PM permalink

These are shameful things to say ... HB is severely unhealthy on many different levels ... no healthy person has weight fluctuations of this magnitude ... no healthy person asks others to participate in abetting her manic depressive and narcissistic disorder ... no healthy person offers wagers on which way her ill health will go next ... and no healthy person has a dialog with someone who may at times be suicidal in a way that may drive that person closer to their cliff ... this is just shameful ... shame on you SOOPOO ... if you had any concern for her health at all, instead of just doing this for your personal enjoyment, you would do everything you could to get HB the help she needs ... shame ...

-- Ms. D.

How do you suppose I can get HB the 'help she needs'? Seriously... I barely know her, rarely communicate with her, and for the great majority of the time she wants nothing to do with me... which is fine!!!! And although I do not disagree about her being a narcissist, I think your diagnosis via an internet thread of manic depression is a bit much. And I fully stand by my initial comment on her health..... she is healthier now than when she started the HB challenge at 250 pounds. So since I am not allowed to force her to diet, force her to eat healthy, force her to change her self image, I am content with how I have helped her get to a better place than before she met me on this forum. Is she at the 'best' place she could be? Of course not. Had I followed your advice it is likely she'd be approaching 300 pounds... would that have made you happy?
Nareed
Nareed
December 9th, 2012 at 5:51:12 PM permalink
Here's an idea: why don't we confine discussion here to just the bets and progress reports (if ay), and move the rest of the discussion to the other board?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 9th, 2012 at 5:54:39 PM permalink
'Cause DT has been wonderfully devoid of nonsense and drama? =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
December 9th, 2012 at 6:18:27 PM permalink
I take it nobody likes my idea of having the HB Challenge be a donation to charity rather than paying for her purple action on the table. (or so I heard?)
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
December 9th, 2012 at 6:28:08 PM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
Mosca
Mosca
December 9th, 2012 at 6:37:48 PM permalink
+30 pounds in 53 days... wow. I don't think I could do that if I tried. Or, the ONLY way I could do it would be by trying to do it.

Speaking as someone who has lost and regained many times in my life, pounds go back on insidiously. They don't go back on daily, they go back on monthly. I recently lost 40 pounds, and gained back about 8 of those. It took three months to gain those back.

I have my reservations that this would be a good bet. I didn't take the first bet, and I definitely wouldn't take this one.

I was looking through the original thread, where EB wrote

Quote:

Every single person I've known in my life who
loses a good amount of weight, thinks its
permanent. They think they won't gain it back,
losing it was so easy. And every single one of
them gains it back.

Regarding EvenBob's statement, there is much, much more to why people are overweight than diet and exercise and willpower. The New England Journal of Medicine's comparative study of diets showed that they were essentially all the same in their effectiveness... but buried in the study is also the result that

1) The study only followed people for two years, not five, but already saw weight regain in almost all participants. Nor were they surprised. The researchers said that they chose a two-year period because “weight loss typically is greatest 6 to 12 months after initiation of the diet, with steady regain of weight subsequently.”

2) About half the participants who completed the study ended up weighing more than baseline at the two-year mark.

3) Participants in every group were on average eating FEWER calories at the two-year mark, when they were regaining, than they were at the six-month mark, when they were still losing weight.

(Bullet points from All diets work the same: poorly)

All that is a tangental issue to the subject at hand, but I think it is also relevant. It puts the regaining of weight into a context, and gives a general time frame in which it happens. 30 pounds in 53 days, that's not really a normal regaining.
Nareed
Nareed
December 9th, 2012 at 6:43:40 PM permalink
Quote: Face

'Cause DT has been wonderfully devoid of nonsense and drama? =)

Well, it's mostly devoid of everything else as well.
MrV
MrV
December 9th, 2012 at 6:55:16 PM permalink
If you gullible gamblers buy into HB's little game again, she'll clean your clocks one more time.

She has great motivation: MONEY.

Then, she'll trot it out again a few months later.

With people like you to pay her thousands of dollars over and over, she'll be on easy street.
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
December 9th, 2012 at 6:57:58 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Well, it's mostly devoid of everything else as well.

Yeah, it should be better. I love "Fishing with Face", "Spanish Word of the Day", "What's up with the Steelers?" (they stink), and "Cooking thread". I don't have a lot to add these days, but whatcha gonna do. You write where you think people are going to read.

I'm surprised that DT got split off, to the detriment of the health of both groups. Studies show that participants in online groups want to discuss topics other than the main topic. Even among the hard core gamblers here, threads invariably drift. Groups are held together by the people, not by the topic.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
December 9th, 2012 at 7:10:45 PM permalink
Give me some money too I am 5'11'' 240 pounds! lol
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 9th, 2012 at 8:10:44 PM permalink
A money challenge does always interest this group of people, why don't we focus on Mikes Stratosphere stair climb? That $ goes to charity,
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 9th, 2012 at 8:40:05 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Give me some money too I am 5'11'' 240 pounds! lol

not funny Aces. Give your heart a break and drop some of that weight !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 10th, 2012 at 1:42:46 AM permalink
The Wizard wanted this new challenge on his other site but acquiesced to the two principals involved. There's still time to reconsider but don't expect anyone who craves attention to agree and isn't that what this is really about?

Nick has a great alternative idea regarding the Stratosphere climb. Bets can still be made and everyone can feel good about where the money ends up. It's a win win without the bad taste in anyone's mouth.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
December 10th, 2012 at 5:14:37 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Nick has a great alternative idea regarding the Stratosphere climb. Bets can still be made and everyone can feel good about where the money ends up. It's a win win without the bad taste in anyone's mouth.

I'm still thinking about starting the Hot Buzz Challenge but can't think of a way to get anyone to want to watch a weigh-in. He shouldn't have mentioned the word "Speedo" earlier...
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 10th, 2012 at 5:41:30 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

I take it nobody likes my idea of having the HB Challenge be a donation to charity rather than paying for her purple action on the table. (or so I heard?)

I think that is a great idea. if you recall, my winnings (which of course turned into losings) from HBC1 was earmarked for the ADA. If you can convince HB to have all money up for grabs go to a charity... good luck! I'd say your chances of hitting the megamillions jackpot are greater..... and you don't play it...
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 10th, 2012 at 5:48:14 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I'm surprised that DT got split off, to the detriment of the health of both groups. Studies show that participants in online groups want to discuss topics other than the main topic. Even among the hard core gamblers here, threads invariably drift. Groups are held together by the people, not by the topic.

Ditto. On WoV you first get hooked on the gambling/Vegas stuff. Then you get to know the 'characters'. Then you are interested (or disinterested) accordingly in what they have to say on both gambling and non-gambling issues.
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 10th, 2012 at 7:31:51 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

I'm still thinking about starting the Hot Buzz Challenge but can't think of a way to get anyone to want to watch a weigh-in. He shouldn't have mentioned the word "Speedo" earlier...

Hot Buzz had a heart sonogram this am. Thereby putting to rest the rumors that I did not have a heart when I was collecting for bookies. I figured I could win any weight loss bet, by insisting bettors attend the weigh-in.

What, why would anyone take my word ? I would even take a pix of the scale. Isn't that fair ?
aceofspades
aceofspades
December 10th, 2012 at 8:53:11 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

not funny Aces. Give your heart a break and drop some of that weight !

I am doing ok :)

midwestgb
midwestgb
December 10th, 2012 at 11:13:44 AM permalink
I know of no practicing attorney with a bod like that. Hit man, maybe... ;-)
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
December 10th, 2012 at 11:32:46 AM permalink

Hmm.... yum
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
December 10th, 2012 at 11:57:55 AM permalink

damn it! I'm starting to feel like I'm the least attractive person on these forums lol. Or is it that only the good looking people post pictures of themselves?

Either way, way to go, man!
100% risk of ruin
aceofspades
aceofspades
December 10th, 2012 at 12:04:49 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

damn it! I'm starting to feel like I'm the least attractive person on these forums lol. Or is it that only the good looking people post pictures of themselves?

Either way, way to go, man!

between the stress of being an attorney and the total lack of variance in my favor at the blackjack tables lately - I have to hit the gym!
Buzzard
Buzzard
December 10th, 2012 at 1:04:28 PM permalink
I still stand by my original statement. The heart is a muscle you do not want to get larger. Hit the gym, but go for reps, not bulk.
Give your heart a break. There is a price to pay for carrying excess weight around..

Got my heart sonogram result back today. Minimal damage. Luckily I was always under 200 until I retired 12 years ago. I will be under 200 by New Years.

Looks like you followed the advice from when i was a kid. " Never get a tat where the judge can see it" LOl

Back then tattoos were not mainstream like today.
aceofspades
aceofspades
December 10th, 2012 at 1:16:52 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I still stand by my original statement. The heart is a muscle you do not want to get larger. Hit the gym, but go for reps, not bulk.
Give your heart a break. There is a price to pay for carrying excess weight around..

Got my heart sonogram result back today. Minimal damage. Luckily I was always under 200 until I retired 12 years ago. I will be under 200 by New Years.

Looks like you followed the advice from when i was a kid. " Never get a tat where the judge can see it" LOl

Back then tattoos were not mainstream like today.

Thanks for looking out for us Buzz - I do cardio as well and try to eat low fat (but, I o have a sweet tooth)
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
December 10th, 2012 at 3:36:35 PM permalink
It looks like the Wizard and SOOPOO may be the only two betting against me. Standing to win $750 isn't so bad. I'm not losing the weight for the money, I'm doing it cuz I want to weigh 135 pounds. But the opportunity to win and the possibility of losing $550 so far is added motivation that will help keep me on track.

I actually won't be starting my program until Wednesay morning. So basically the goal is to weigh 135.0 or less on Wednesday, May 29th, 2013. I will be in Vegas on that date and as long as the Wizard agrees he can be the one to witness and verify my actual weight. I want to have the option of having someone else witness and verify my weigh in in that date if the Wizard is not available. Like having a medical doctor verify it as a backup plan or another forum member or something. I was uncomfortable last time that it was so strict as to who had to verify it.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
  • Jump to: